Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tingus not only removed everything that made the game fun but they're also doing the standard mobile game thing of ads that aren't real

This is what the devs have to say about it

quote:

it's more like a/b test experiment, shown to a percentage of users to see if these screenshots attracts more users. If it does, it make sense for us to put in the game as mini games.

We are testing the market and see which ones drive most downloads from ads. Legal wise, i am not too sure, i think mostly ok. It's now a standard practice for any game studio to post ads first before even making the game, just to see if there's enough people clicking them. Spent few thousands dollars to see the market before spend millions on making a game, seems..... you know... making sense, and not as evil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's always bizarre when a mobile game makes a sudden shift to "and now we will make more money than god" but it's especially strange in that case. Tingus doesn't exactly have mass market appeal. Somehow I don't see a g-preg (goose pregnant) graphic tshirt showing up next to Minecraft at Hot Topic.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
another idle loops question (thanks for the advice so far!):

imbue mind seems obviously fine, but... imbue body --- +1 starting stat seems... completely negligible.

even if i spent 20 hours farming it to +20, those are stats that i get like, 20 seconds into the loop.

is there something im missing, or is imbue body just a trap?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I got into a situation where my tank was completely fine but my dps’s died to area damage and so the boss fight was a complete stalemate

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Slickdrac posted:

There's been a flood of Groundhog Life/Progress Knight games lately? Where at? That's been my favorite model of these.

I'm still waiting on this answer :(

Besides Idle Loops and Increlution which I've already played to death

vvv-Hell yeah, thanks!

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 2, 2024

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009

Slickdrac posted:

I'm still waiting on this answer :(

Besides Idle Loops and Increlution which I've already played to death

Have you tried these?

Cyber Punk Life: https://gameplaya.fr/CyberpunkLife/
JapanesePensionIdle: https://breadmastergames.github.io/

"It all started with an innocent trip to the local pachinko parlor. "

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

crime weed posted:

imbue mind seems obviously fine, but... imbue body --- +1 starting stat seems... completely negligible.

even if i spent 20 hours farming it to +20, those are stats that i get like, 20 seconds into the loop.

It's mostly useful later when you can get a lot of it, and since Talent has pretty steep diminishing returns, it's pretty cheap to pick up when you have enough talent that it's negligible. It's definitely not strong enough that you want to trade significant amounts of your talent for it. It's particularly useful since there is some mid-late game stuff where you have to do something *really fast* and having those starting stats is a pretty big help there.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

I got into a situation where my tank was completely fine but my dps’s died to area damage and so the boss fight was a complete stalemate

isn't there an auto retry setting for this?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

crime weed posted:

I only got imbue mind as high as I needed it - I thought imbue body was the real winner of the two because it speeds up/reduces the mana at the beginning of every loop and the talent was easier to build back up.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Saraiguma posted:

isn't there an auto retry setting for this?

Is there? I’ll take a look later

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Garfu posted:

I just played through it on the 1.0 beta. It's VERY good but it's my second playthrough so I knew not to invest anything into my gear until I hit the max level (150). Just upgrade gear level as you go but don't worry about crafting or optimizing anything. I really really like that game. You can theorycraft builds, do challenge runs, and a bunch of other fun idle poo poo.

edit: also full disclosure I modded it slightly and sped it up, but that's a given any time I post about any idle game.

I don't know how you sped it up without drowning in a pile of loot. There are not enough filters early game, and character builds unlock slowly and don't really seem necessary until nearing level cap or something? I don't know that I'll keep with it past the demo. It feels like it's going somewhere, but also not going anywhere at all.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Jhet posted:

I don't know how you sped it up without drowning in a pile of loot. There are not enough filters early game, and character builds unlock slowly and don't really seem necessary until nearing level cap or something? I don't know that I'll keep with it past the demo. It feels like it's going somewhere, but also not going anywhere at all.

You can hide loot en masse in the glossary. The end game is farming a specific drop to then craft up by un-filtering it for a sec then re-filtering it.

There's also the scrapper, which turns into an auto scrapper as you upgrade it with a ton of customization options.

But yes, the 1-150 grind is weird cause the game doesn't really open up until 150 so there's not much point in scouring through loot or filling your inventory up. Thus why I sped it up.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Daraken posted:

My advice is to try to brew as many potions as you can per run. It'll still give you some alchemy exp and the money you get from selling them increases pretty quickly. More gold means more mana, which means you can get deeper into the large dungeon. More soulstones then gives you more leeway if you want to grind up the older skills or if you want to push forward.

Also I'm not sure what version you're playing, but this fork has the most content/bug fixes/a prestige system.

I'm extremely dumb, how do you play this game? Any way I arrange actions on the left side just leads to a reset and any progress being reset along with it. I tried for five minutes and couldn't seem to actually progress anything?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

to start you want to wander until you have pots to smash - the pot display of # <- # <- # indicates how many pots you've smashed this run for mana (which extends the run), how many pots you can smash for mana, and how many pots remain to check whether they have mana or not. to progress you mostly want to break any pots that haven't been checked while exploring to find more pots with mana in them until you build up a good number of mana ones to keep a run going long enough to rack up stat increases and other actions.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah what wasn't really clear to me initially is that your character "remembers" stuff between loops. So initially if you're picking locks, and the game says there are 100 locks to pick but only 1/10 contains loot, you've just got a 10% chance to get loot when picking a lock, and will have to pick 100 on average to get all the loot. On future loops, you can check the box to pick locks with loot first, and once you've "discovered" them all, you're guaranteed to get all the loot with only 10 picks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Garfu posted:

You can hide loot en masse in the glossary. The end game is farming a specific drop to then craft up by un-filtering it for a sec then re-filtering it.

There's also the scrapper, which turns into an auto scrapper as you upgrade it with a ton of customization options.

But yes, the 1-150 grind is weird cause the game doesn't really open up until 150 so there's not much point in scouring through loot or filling your inventory up. Thus why I sped it up.

I got the scrapper, but didn't realize I could filter out loot in the glossary. I'll give that a shot to see if I can manage the deluge. I'm just going to leave it to grind up levels then until it gets to the meat of the game. It seems worth $5 in any case.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goferchan posted:

Yeah what wasn't really clear to me initially is that your character "remembers" stuff between loops. So initially if you're picking locks, and the game says there are 100 locks to pick but only 1/10 contains loot, you've just got a 10% chance to get loot when picking a lock, and will have to pick 100 on average to get all the loot. On future loops, you can check the box to pick locks with loot first, and once you've "discovered" them all, you're guaranteed to get all the loot with only 10 picks.

Sort of. When it says "Every X ~actions~ gives Y", then every Xth unrevealed action converts to Y permanently. So, every 10th unpicked lock becomes a gold drop permanently.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Jhet posted:

I got the scrapper, but didn't realize I could filter out loot in the glossary. I'll give that a shot to see if I can manage the deluge. I'm just going to leave it to grind up levels then until it gets to the meat of the game. It seems worth $5 in any case.

If you're not opposed to speeding it up with cheat engine it seemed worth it to get through some of the monotony. I also made minor dll QoL edits. I can share but I probably need to update them to the main version. Nothing progression breaking and nothing that effects damage.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Garfu posted:

If you're not opposed to speeding it up with cheat engine it seemed worth it to get through some of the monotony. I also made minor dll QoL edits. I can share but I probably need to update them to the main version. Nothing progression breaking and nothing that effects damage.

Nah, it's all good. The 1-50 blew past and I figure it won't take that long to get to the meat of the game.

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

ZZT the Fifth posted:

How do you play this build, if you don't mind me asking?

Bit of thread necromancy, but I didn't see this answered, and also am too dumb to know how to actually run this fork?
Simply downloading the repository locally wasn't quite enough.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

wonderboy posted:

Bit of thread necromancy, but I didn't see this answered, and also am too dumb to know how to actually run this fork?
Simply downloading the repository locally wasn't quite enough.

Sorry went on vacation right after I posted that.

Easiest way would be:
1. download VScode
2. add the Live Server extension
3. In the terminal type 'npm run evolve' (can't remember if this launches your browser if it doesn't go to step 4)
4. click the tiny 'go live' text/icon in the bottom right of VScode

There are other ways but that's prob the simplest for people unfamiliar with dev environments.

You can then go hog wild if you want editing stuff, just make sure to run 'npm run evolve' after every change.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 3, 2024

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Garfu posted:

Sorry went on vacation right after I posted that.

Easiest way would be:
1. download VScode
2. add the Live Server extension
3. In the terminal type 'npm run evolve' (can't remember if this launches your browser if it doesn't go to step 4)
4. click the tiny 'go live' text/icon in the bottom right of VScode

There are other ways but that's prob the simplest for people unfamiliar with dev environments.

You can then go hog wild if you want editing stuff, just make sure to run 'npm run evolve' after every change.

I tried following your steps, but I got this error when I ran the terminal.

code:

npm : The term 'npm' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or 
operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the     
path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ npm run evolve
+ ~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (npm:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

E: whoops. put in the wrong command, got the same error from the correct command anyway, updated

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 3, 2024

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I thought npm just came default with VScode but perhaps you have to install npm first, just search like you did for Live Server and install it

edit:

apparently it does so unsure why running and npm command wouldn't work. I can troubleshoot via discord this evening if needed. Maybe update vscode (if you have an older version) or update npm?

You can also view and run npm scripts via UI with this extension so if nothing shows up then somethings up with your npm

Garfu fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 3, 2024

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Garfu posted:

I thought npm just came default with VScode but perhaps you have to install npm first, just search like you did for Live Server and install it

edit:

apparently it does so unsure why running and npm command wouldn't work. I can troubleshoot via discord this evening if needed. Maybe update vscode (if you have an older version) or update npm?

You can also view and run npm scripts via UI with this extension so if nothing shows up then somethings up with your npm

I literally just installed vscode before my post, and installed NPM-Scripts. and nothing :shrug: I'm using something I've literally never used before, so...

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Does anyone have a few console command cheats for Theresmore? I reset and don't like where I'm at and wanna cheat my way out

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Ghostlight posted:

to start you want to wander until you have pots to smash - the pot display of # <- # <- # indicates how many pots you've smashed this run for mana (which extends the run), how many pots you can smash for mana, and how many pots remain to check whether they have mana or not. to progress you mostly want to break any pots that haven't been checked while exploring to find more pots with mana in them until you build up a good number of mana ones to keep a run going long enough to rack up stat increases and other actions.

Thanks for this advice and others. I'm not sure I like it yet, but I'm at least getting some of the appeal. It is quite cerebral. I'm purposefully avoiding the perfect optimization rabbit hole and just playing on bonus time because it is VERY slow otherwise.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Crafting event is on in Ironwood RPG.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I literally just installed vscode before my post, and installed NPM-Scripts. and nothing :shrug: I'm using something I've literally never used before, so...

If you're on discord you can message me, same name as here. I can troubleshoot it. Gonna be like 30 mins until I'm back at my PC tho

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Len posted:

Tingus not only removed everything that made the game fun but they're also doing the standard mobile game thing of ads that aren't real

This is what the devs have to say about it

They killed the goose game so hard, and it ain't gonna recover.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

jetz0r posted:

I played in the beta where you could get any IAP you wanted for free and still got annoyed enough to quit at how aggressively they monetized the game; can't imagine how they made it even worse. What a fumble; a big physics-based build-your-own pachinko machine idler with a weird bespoke art style could have been something super cool.

edit: I'm desensitized to F2P games going for my wallet but I think what killed it for me was literally everything had a popup that was "spend $ to skip this, spend $ to get this" etc. etc. -- like there was no aspect of the game that didn't offer some avenue to spend money to not engage with it, which makes me wonder if the devs had any faith in people wanting to play it at all. Like at that point just add a $500 in-app purchase that makes "YOU WIN!" pop up on the player's screen, because clearly that's what you're going for. Every F2P game has monetization that's some degree of annoying, but Tingus Goose was impressive in how it managed to make what could have been a really interesting game feel completely soulless. It's worth checking out just as a case study in bad game design.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 4, 2024

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

jetz0r posted:

The goose that laid the golden baby

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

My B team in Lootun has progressed much faster than my A team, which is kinda like a prestige if you think about it

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

Garfu posted:

If you're on discord you can message me, same name as here. I can troubleshoot it. Gonna be like 30 mins until I'm back at my PC tho

Alright here's what worked me, in addition to the above (installing Live Studio and extensions):
1. install Node.js (https://nodejs.org/en/download/)
2. restart Live Studio if it was already running during #1
3. in Live Studio console: npm install -g npm@10.7.0 (probably not necessary, but just in case)
4. again in console: npm run build
5. lastly: npm run serve

After that, you should be able to run it locally at http://localhost:4400 (or whatever port is specified in #5 above)

Thanks, Garfu!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yep that's basically what we troubleshooted in discord, needed node installed it just slipped mind. Thanks for the updated instructions!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lootun

is there a reason to invest into fate after level 150? the XP bars still continue but don't seem to just reset after hitting 38M?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

Lootun

is there a reason to invest into fate after level 150? the XP bars still continue but don't seem to just reset after hitting 38M?

you get a currency (I forget which) every time the bar fills

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://idlemancery-v2.vercel.app/ I found this one which I've really enjoyed. Kind of a take on Orb of Creation but a bit more digestible.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Pylons posted:

https://idlemancery-v2.vercel.app/ I found this one which I've really enjoyed. Kind of a take on Orb of Creation but a bit more digestible.

The beginning seems to be annoyingly slowly paced, otherwise interesting this far.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Saraiguma posted:

you get a currency (I forget which) every time the bar fills

Oh i think it's probably soul orbs which are the usual currency reward for increasing your ascendancy level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Pylons posted:

It mimics the style, but it's more similar to Evolve/Theresmore style game where you're constantly gated by max resource/resource gain and you just have to wait. Part of the appeal of Orb of Creation is you constantly have something different to work on. Here I'm waiting for an upgrade that requires 20Qi Knowledge while I only have 5Qi max knowledge, and it's literally my only option.