Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They eventually shut the storyline down, but he spent way too long refusing to accept Dax wasn't into him

Not Dax. One of the genetically modified freaks Starfleet sent to them to try and win the war.

There's a multiple episode arc where he tries to cure, and date, the mute one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redshirt posted:

What’s the problem there?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Not Dax. One of the genetically modified freaks Starfleet sent to them to try and win the war.

Oh yes, I know about that one, but he also spent like Season 1 or 2 hitting on Dax long after she told him it ain't happening

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

What’s the problem there?

Dating a patient?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yes, I know about that one, but he also spent like Season 1 or 2 hitting on Dax long after she told him it ain't happening

For sure, his cringe attempts at hooking up with Dax were pretty much his character for the first couple of seasons.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just be thankful she never gave into him, and in fact went and found a totally 100% different type of guy and wooed him all on her own. Basically the best possible outcome given the era and the type of nerd who watched and wrote that show.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

the Dax flirting immediately transitions into Bashir having dates with Garak which is far superior

iirc the actors even said they played up their bromance to gently caress with Berman's NO GAYS policy

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man I hope Sugar gets another season, extremely my jam lol.

Also Evil Season 4 (last season apparently) starts may 23!!! :siren:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PostNouveau posted:

Basically both the dudes are in love with Zendaya, but really they're in love with each other and tennis
im frothing at the mouth and waving a copy of Eve Sedgwick's Between Men in the air lik ea gun

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

redshirt posted:

Dating a patient?

In the future, humanity has released itself from the shackles of medical ethics.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
“If she physically can’t say No that counts as consent”

-24th Century Hippocratic Oath

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"You didn't want to be alone, Julian. There's nothing wrong with that." says Obrien the most miserable man in starfleet. Yet he's also the only one who has had a marriage that survived more than one series, let alone season.

I watched the new Ape movie today and I liked it. Noa isn't as interesting as Caesar for a protagonist since he hasn't had three films and Andy Serkis playing him, but he is likeable and a decent lead. The orangutan librarian was the best character. Dawn is still my favourite one of these films but Kingdom is definitely worth watching. I'm impressed thst they've managed to keep making consistently good films and I haven't been disappointed yet.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

how many apes on horseback shooting machine guns?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I liked Keiko

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

how many apes on horseback shooting machine guns?

None which is why Dawn is the superior film.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have zero desire to watch the new Ape movie. The last trilogy was good. It was an interesting way of re-doing the old Apes movies without doing the same exact stuff. It had some good performances. It had a satisfying conclusion. The new one just seems more of the same, which I don't need.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i was pretty shocked by the end reveal of the new apes movie that it was earth all along

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mozi posted:

i was pretty shocked by the end reveal of the new apes movie that it was earth all along

Those drat, dirty apes!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mozi posted:

Oh my god, I was wrong!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I haven’t seen any of the new planet of the apes movies but by god would I be there day one for a broadway production of a planet of the apes musical

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have zero desire to watch the new Ape movie. The last trilogy was good. It was an interesting way of re-doing the old Apes movies without doing the same exact stuff. It had some good performances. It had a satisfying conclusion. The new one just seems more of the same, which I don't need.

I actually was surprised at how different this one felt. It was a neat middle ground between the weirdness of the original films and the more grounded newer movies. But tonally this one felt more like a journey/adventure movie than the Caesar films.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I feel like I'm being gaslit everytime someone says the ape movies are good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I actually was surprised at how different this one felt. It was a neat middle ground between the weirdness of the original films and the more grounded newer movies. But tonally this one felt more like a journey/adventure movie than the Caesar films.

My problem with this one is that it felt like the apes had regressed. It was a decent movie overall though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

The new one just seems more of the same, which I don't need.
It's not. It's worse :v:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

There appears to be a Kevin Costner cowboy movie coming out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MarcusSA posted:

My problem with this one is that it felt like the apes had regressed. It was a decent movie overall though.

I felt that was the point. It's heen so long and the Apes are so widespread that they're developing independent cultures and straying further from Caesar's message, to the point that some don't even remember, or refuse to remember, their own history.

sharknado slashfic posted:

There appears to be a Kevin Costner cowboy movie coming out.

The Yellowstone Cinematic Universe is getting out of hand.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm surprised they still have a few Kevin Costners lying around to use in movies.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Durf posted:

the Dax flirting immediately transitions into Bashir having dates with Garak which is far superior

iirc the actors even said they played up their bromance to gently caress with Berman's NO GAYS policy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x66iaLVQgMo&t=42s

"At first just he wanted to have sex with him. That's absolutely clear. That's all he wanted from him." -- Andrew Robinson himself on Garak and Bashir

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I felt that was the point. It's heen so long and the Apes are so widespread that they're developing independent cultures and straying further from Caesar's message, to the point that some don't even remember, or refuse to remember, their own history.

as the resident app remake trilogy expert, can you summarize the plot of the three films in a few paragraphs and explain why I shouldn't write them off. because,

sharknado slashfic posted:

I feel like I'm being gaslit everytime someone says the ape movies are good

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Waterworld was real!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mozi posted:

Real talk, saw the movie, quite like the new Apes movies. Thought the world building was interesting but I wanted to see more of the whole titular Kingdom and Proxima Caesar. I almost feel like the second half could have been spun out into its own movie?

Spoilers: I don't really know what exactly they are setting up for the next one but I better see a proper Ape empire take over the world and not have these drat humans come back again. Give the apes guns again!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kalel posted:

as the resident app remake trilogy expert, can you summarize the plot of the three films in a few paragraphs and explain why I shouldn't write them off. because,

Sure,

What if science went too far?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Sure,

What if science went too far?

Your scientists were so focused on what they could do, they never asked, should they?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
only saw apes 2. it was fine. i dont think the cgi was very convincing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The CGI in the new one was really good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kalel posted:

Movie 1: James Franco tries to cure John Lithgow's alzheimers using animal testing on Apes. Little baby Ape Caesar is a primary source for the medicine and gets smarter as he grows older and lives outside of the lab with Franco. But then the experiments backfire and Caesar is put in Draco Malfoy's Ape enclosure, so he breaks free using the alzheimers cure drug to make the other apes smart and they escape into the forest.

Movie 2: turns out the alzheimers drug also kills off 90% of humanity. Apes living in a happy forest society but then they discover humans have moved back into San Francisco and Gary Oldman wants to kill them. One of Caesar's Apes, Koba, was abused in the lab and he sabotages peace efforts by shooting Caesar and blaming the humans, so the Apes steal assault rifles and attack the humans before Caesar kills Koba and stops the attack. War breaks out between Ape and human.

Movie 3. Humans are at war with the Apes. Woody Harrelson kills Caesar's family so Caesar goes off to avenge them but his whole tribe is captured and forced to build a wall because Woody Harrelson went rogue from the army. Surviving humans are losing the ability to speak and are getting dumber from the virus so he wants to kill all the Apes and defend against other humans before it's too late. Apes pull a Great Escape and flee inland, with Caesar dying of his wounds but leaving the Ape society free from human oppression.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

:eyepop:

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

https://x.com/sadeiqsb/status/1790973473025630578

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Movie 1: James Franco tries to cure John Lithgow's alzheimers using animal testing on Apes. Little baby Ape Caesar is a primary source for the medicine and gets smarter as he grows older and lives outside of the lab with Franco. But then the experiments backfire and Caesar is put in Draco Malfoy's Ape enclosure, so he breaks free using the alzheimers cure drug to make the other apes smart and they escape into the forest.

Movie 2: turns out the alzheimers drug also kills off 90% of humanity. Apes living in a happy forest society but then they discover humans have moved back into San Francisco and Gary Oldman wants to kill them. One of Caesar's Apes, Koba, was abused in the lab and he sabotages peace efforts by shooting Caesar and blaming the humans, so the Apes steal assault rifles and attack the humans before Caesar kills Koba and stops the attack. War breaks out between Ape and human.

Movie 3. Humans are at war with the Apes. Woody Harrelson kills Caesar's family so Caesar goes off to avenge them but his whole tribe is captured and forced to build a wall because Woody Harrelson went rogue from the army. Surviving humans are losing the ability to speak and are getting dumber from the virus so he wants to kill all the Apes and defend against other humans before it's too late. Apes pull a Great Escape and flee inland, with Caesar dying of his wounds but leaving the Ape society free from human oppression.

Legit, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you should start doing this in real life. just go to a library or pottery class or something and just get up in front of the room and tell everyone their about your patreon gf. if they tell you to shut up, or ask you to leave, they clearly have issues with women

Lmao