Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Looking at the goodwill site for Legos is pretty nice, they have a wide assortment of lots and complete, sometime even unopened boxes. The only down side is the $15 shipping and handling + the $2-4 handling fee for a 3lb set they tack on to the price, pretty much makes getting anything but rare sets from that site not really worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Someone has 4 of the Mr gold for sale on german ebay for 1000 each - I just don't understand the rationale behind even producing the figure, all it does is make money for scalpers and piss collectors off.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

Ika posted:

Someone has 4 of the Mr gold for sale on german ebay for 1000 each - I just don't understand the rationale behind even producing the figure, all it does is make money for scalpers and piss collectors off.

I get the rationale behind it completely. It means that all the scalpers and "speculators" go crazy for what is essentially a little gold plastic man and buy tons and tons of boxes, just to try and get a hold of it. Also in a roundabout way it actually helps the collectors market, because the scalpers focus is now on one incredibly rare minifig, so the actual cool sets they would usually make money on, are more likely to end up in the hands of people who are actually going to enjoy them.

It sounds crazy but I get the feeling that Lego really don't like the speculators and scalpers (Hence why they are fond of using rare parts in new sets) and this is just another crazy way of saying "gently caress you" to that market.

Be honest, who else but the scalpers and speculators actually care about this minifig?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I don't know, if they really wanted to stop scalpers, they could rerelease the sets once demand hits a level where it makes business sense.

saying "gently caress you" would be done best by including the guy in all future series.

I don't want the guy, but this is the first series where every box I've found in stores has been completely picked over.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

lorddazron posted:

I get the rationale behind it completely. It means that all the scalpers and "speculators" go crazy for what is essentially a little gold plastic man and buy tons and tons of boxes, just to try and get a hold of it. Also in a roundabout way it actually helps the collectors market, because the scalpers focus is now on one incredibly rare minifig, so the actual cool sets they would usually make money on, are more likely to end up in the hands of people who are actually going to enjoy them.

It just means every single Roman and Revolutionary soldier out there will also be in scalpers' hands.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

It just means every single Roman and Revolutionary soldier out there will also be in scalpers' hands.

I dunno about that. Either they're buying up boxes by the boatload and will want to liquidate what they don't want to try and recoup the costs, or they're just going through every box in every store in their region, and leaving everything else behind. If they wanted to buy up all the army-building figures and scalp them, they'd have been doing that for the past 9 releases (and only the first one or two series were in very limited numbers while they tested the waters).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We're packing up to move. This means breaking down our Lego. So far in the past 24 hours I've done 4 pirate ships, a few creator trucks, the mini ISD and the latest minifig scale Millenium falcon.

Oh god my hands.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wave 11 will be just Mr. Gold.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The_Doctor posted:

For dogs sake why dont they just package them in the small boxes.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

This would be the funniest goddamn thing. "Due to increased popularity, the next wave will be JUST this figure." eBay explodes.

edit: Better idea. Start including Mr. Gold's randomly in every set they make. Buy a Star Wars set? 1 in 350 chance of a Mr. Gold. Do this with every property they make. Money out the wazoo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Rage posted:

This would be the funniest goddamn thing. "Due to increased popularity, the next wave will be JUST this figure." eBay explodes.

edit: Better idea. Start including Mr. Gold's randomly in every set they make. Buy a Star Wars set? 1 in 350 chance of a Mr. Gold. Do this with every property they make. Money out the wazoo.

Only if they make him out of actual gold.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
When I swung by Target today (hoping to see a solid Ghost Train sale) they had a crap ton of series 7 Minifigs (with one pack of 9 mixed in), so maybe look for that. I picked up the ones I was missing, and now my battalion of marines feels much more complete.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I finally made the big leap and bought the new Lego Cinema modular building. Has anybody put this together yet? I can not even open it for another week until I get back home since I am on vacation now, the wonderfully detailed box is going to tease me until I can get back home. I will have this big building along with the Haunted House with all the add-ons that I did to that and I was wondering how some of you all displayed your sets and especially the bigger one. Right now I just have a bookcase, soon to be a second one to display all my 50+ sets, it looks all right and does the job cheaply but the sets are kind of hidden and in shadows most the time, need to look for a better maybe efficient option.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So I explored my local Fred Meyer's Series 10 boxes. We got like, 9 of them, but every single one had been opened and picked through, then put back on the top shelf closed. So my guess is the guy selling his on eBay from Ellensburg either works at Fred Meyer's, or knows someone who does, cause it looks like they did their best to make it look like they weren't searched. Ah well, I wouldn't have taken the time to search 9 cases anyways for one top hat, I barely make it through one case before my hands hurt.

However I did get 14/16 on my first attempt, got 3x Roman Legionnaire, and 1x Amazon as extras, so I'd be happy to trade them for the baseball player or the old man, or sell them if anyone wants more Romans. Shoot me a PM.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Rage posted:

So I explored my local Fred Meyer's Series 10 boxes. We got like, 9 of them, but every single one had been opened and picked through, then put back on the top shelf closed. So my guess is the guy selling his on eBay from Ellensburg either works at Fred Meyer's, or knows someone who does, cause it looks like they did their best to make it look like they weren't searched. Ah well, I wouldn't have taken the time to search 9 cases anyways for one top hat, I barely make it through one case before my hands hurt.

However I did get 14/16 on my first attempt, got 3x Roman Legionnaire, and 1x Amazon as extras, so I'd be happy to trade them for the baseball player or the old man, or sell them if anyone wants more Romans. Shoot me a PM.

MY WIFE works for FM and it is strictly against the rules to buy things with the employee discount and flip them. So, I just collect, but I have not gotten a lot lately.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

Rythe posted:

I finally made the big leap and bought the new Lego Cinema modular building. Has anybody put this together yet? I can not even open it for another week until I get back home since I am on vacation now, the wonderfully detailed box is going to tease me until I can get back home. I will have this big building along with the Haunted House with all the add-ons that I did to that and I was wondering how some of you all displayed your sets and especially the bigger one. Right now I just have a bookcase, soon to be a second one to display all my 50+ sets, it looks all right and does the job cheaply but the sets are kind of hidden and in shadows most the time, need to look for a better maybe efficient option.

I bought this and the Horizon Express train for my birthday yesterday! I've got to say, it's a good set overall but SLIGHTLY disappointing. Maybe its the fact that I'm comparing it to the Town Hall but it seems a bit small and under detailed on the inside. The outside is also a so-so for me(except for the entire palace sign/movie sign part, I love that part). Even though it uses stickers for all the printing except for the "hollywood brick" thing on sidewalk, the stickers themselves are pretty drat funny. It being only two floors and a tall roof is a pretty big downer though. The Fire Brigade was two floors as well but it still feels much more "grand" than this. I don't regret purchasing it at any means but so far its my least favorite modular.
Here's a picture of it next to my Grand Emporium for some size comparisons:

I should really get a bookshelf or a desk that's long enough to fit all my modulars together so I can have a nice street...

Edit: By no means is it a bad set or anything. I just believe that Lego could have done a lot better with this one. Just my 2 cents(bricks).

Also probably should have answered your question! I used to just have them all lined up in a row above my desk. For some reason it looks much cooler to me looking up at it(or eye level) than when I'm looking down at it. But I ran out of room and am looking for new options too.

Crazy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 23, 2013

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

kensei posted:

MY WIFE works for FM and it is strictly against the rules to buy things with the employee discount and flip them. So, I just collect, but I have not gotten a lot lately.

Yeah I'm not 100% its an employee, but literally every case from the overhead was pulled, searched, and put back together. Plus at the 10% or whatever discount on a $3 figure, I'm sure they just paid fulled price and called it a day. But its entirely possible someone else just saw them all arrive and searched every case, but that had to have looked really hosed up as one person/group of people search 9 cases and tell everyone else to go away while they fondle the bags. Leads me to believe it was done not during open hours. Like I could see people buying whole cases to search for it, but fondling 9 cases and only buying that one figure? I'm sure Fred Meyer would toss you out on your rear end at that point.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 23, 2013

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

All of The Monster Hunter sets are on 30-40% clearance at my local Walmarts. All of them are out of the Vampire Castle though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

RodShaft posted:

All of The Monster Hunter sets are on 30-40% clearance at my local Walmarts. All of them are out of the Vampire Castle though.

Might be worth picking up a few of the zombie sets of they still have them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Zombies was a Target exclusive, though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Travis343 posted:

The Zombies was a Target exclusive, though.

Oh right. Sorry, they weren't here in Australia (at least, I don't think they were), disregard.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Honestly? gently caress Mr. Gold, I want the :smith: figure.

nws
Jul 20, 2004
Part time SCUBA Instructor......
I started my daughter's college fund:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

EvilJoven posted:

We're packing up to move. This means breaking down our Lego. So far in the past 24 hours I've done 4 pirate ships, a few creator trucks, the mini ISD and the latest minifig scale Millenium falcon.

Oh god my hands.

I'm in the same boat. I just finished baggieing up my last set now. Urgh.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Segmentation Fault posted:

Honestly? gently caress Mr. Gold, I want the :smith: figure.

The only box of Series 10 I've found was really picked over before I got there. I did manage to find the Sad Clown and Old Man, but have to keep looking for Medusa and the Librarian and Mr Gold, of course.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

nws posted:

I started my daughter's college fund:

Are those two of the same shuttles??

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Send two shuttles, we double our chances that the mission will work.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
My mom got me the VW camper as a belated birthday gift and holy poo poo, it's incredible. The amount of detail in it is crazy, from the posters on the wall to the mirror to the engine in the rear. It looks grea on my nightstand and the build itself was a lot of fun. :3:

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Finally found a box of series 10 today in Target. Grabbed 12 randoms and went 10/12. Went back later and felt thru some, got the rest that I needed except the Paris Hilton one, and a few extras. Got the crazy look from a few employees too:(

Not like I'm gonna find one but do you guys think that little bag that Mr. Gold comes in would make it harder to feel?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Might be worth picking up a few of the zombie sets of they still have them.

I wish. Now that and the castle are the only Monster Gun Hunter sets I still need. Walmart was out of the castle and like was said, Only Target carried The Zombies.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Zombies are one of the biggest recent winners for speculators, so don't even think of ever finding that one again unless they re-release it.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Picked up and assembled the A-Wing today. So swooshable, and I'm loving the Admiral Ackbar minifig. I like the red colour, and while there are a bunch of stickers, they look pretty nice, and I don't plan on disassembling it for a while. And even when I do, they'll still be cool spaceship parts.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I know this is a bit of heresy, but which nanoblocks sets are the best ones? I want to buy something for my brother and his apartment is tiny.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

smackfu posted:

I know this is a bit of heresy, but which nanoblocks sets are the best ones? I want to buy something for my brother and his apartment is tiny.

Is he a little person?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So I have had some luck this past weekend hunting thrift stores and consignment shops, not only did I find a G1 Transformers Constructicons in outstanding shape I also came across this little gem I just had to get for my collection.

Over all the box is in great shape for being made in 1966, it is almost a complete set surprisingly, it is missing some gears in the lower picture, still has a complete instruction set too. Looking at some of the peices inside is pretty neat, it has a bunch of parts I haven't seen before, some neat window designs, the gears are pretty cool and over all it is really awesome looking. Just need to find a place to display this in my house now, might be a little bit of a issue there as the box is fairly big. I really wish I could come across more vintage Lego like this with boxes, I love the art design on the boxes so much, they make wonderful display items.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
My favourite thing that Lego did in the 90's is have those huge flaps on the front if the box that allowed you to look in. I used haze into the larger sets that my parents couldn't afford to get and daydream about playing with them.

The Lego magazine that you got with sets was just as bbad good for the same reason :)

Readblood
Nov 9, 2005

Rythe posted:

So I have had some luck this past weekend hunting thrift stores and consignment shops, not only did I find a G1 Transformers Constructicons in outstanding shape I also came across this little gem I just had to get for my collection.

These old sets are really interesting, and I believe they are super valuable. What kind of suggested builds are in the manual?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Hamburlgar posted:

My favourite thing that Lego did in the 90's is have those huge flaps on the front if the box that allowed you to look in. I used haze into the larger sets that my parents couldn't afford to get and daydream about playing with them.

The Lego magazine that you got with sets was just as bbad good for the same reason :)

The best thing was when you'd get a random set display magazine from a few years ago, especially if it was from before you started getting Lego. I had a lot of fun trying to build older castles from newer pieces and seeing where certain pieces popped up in older sets.

Then I'd see things like a cheap set with a glow-in-the-dark ghost or knights with the helmet that lifts up (like the Series 9 knight) and just really wish that I'd been able to get my hands on those sets. Mid-90s Castle was just so much fun. :allears:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Readblood posted:

These old sets are really interesting, and I believe they are super valuable. What kind of suggested builds are in the manual?

I will take some pictures and post them up, the instructions are in semi decent shape too. I am always in the market for vintage Lego, more so if they have the boxes regardless of condition, I really like the art work and they make wonderful display items. If anybody has any they would like to sell off eventually, please PM me and we can work something out.

Edit: Pictures

Some of those ideas are pretty neat and well done, especially for 1966 and the semi limited selection of bricks Lego had available.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rythe posted:

Some of those ideas are pretty neat and well done, especially for 1966 and the semi limited selection of bricks Lego had available.

What is that black thing in the bottom left corner there?