Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yeah I've heard that, but my operating theory is that the eyes move first. So then it became a habit and now I just do it as a matter of habit.

In practice I watch the eyes, then the rest of their body (ie, hips) to figure out what they're actually going to do.

I have no idea if that's a good idea, that's just what I do. :iiam:

Your operating theory didn't work well with lacing your skates, just saying.

This'll work until head fakes, or until someone looks and sees a pass that isn't there that you don't and decides to go the other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUT5rEU6pqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Good players will intentionally look at things that aren't there and burn you bad when you commit.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Wow, I finally made it to the end of the thread. For the past two months or so I've been going to the local open skate sessions at the only rink for 60 miles (1 sheet), trying to get some semblance of skating skill before I went whole-hog for hockey.

Last week I went to my first stick and puck and holy hell I've never had so much fun being so terrible at something before. I can hockey stop (one side) and do forward crossovers either way, and am working on transitions and skating backwards, but once I got all the gear on, stick in hand, and a puck in front of me, oh man I'm all over the place horrible.

Here in Sonoma County (North Bay, California) ice pickings are slim, with just the one sheet unless I want to drive down to SJ or out to Sac. There isn't a newbie/LTP league or instructions available, so the once per week stick time is all I get. Been twice now and I think I'm seeing improvement at least.

I wanted to thank everyone who has shared their advice, stories, and videos in this thread over the years; it's been an entertaining read and I look forward to actually having something worthwhile (like babby's first own goal) to report.

With any luck in Spring I'll have the skills and finances to actually join a team!

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

FreshFeesh posted:

Here in Sonoma County (North Bay, California) ice pickings are slim, with just the one sheet unless I want to drive down to SJ or out to Sac. There isn't a newbie/LTP league or instructions available, so the once per week stick time is all I get. Been twice now and I think I'm seeing improvement at least.

Still not by any means close, but wouldn't Oakland be a little bit better for you than SJ or Sacramento?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

Wow, I finally made it to the end of the thread. For the past two months or so I've been going to the local open skate sessions at the only rink for 60 miles (1 sheet), trying to get some semblance of skating skill before I went whole-hog for hockey.

Last week I went to my first stick and puck and holy hell I've never had so much fun being so terrible at something before. I can hockey stop (one side) and do forward crossovers either way, and am working on transitions and skating backwards, but once I got all the gear on, stick in hand, and a puck in front of me, oh man I'm all over the place horrible.

I wanted to thank everyone who has shared their advice, stories, and videos in this thread over the years; it's been an entertaining read and I look forward to actually having something worthwhile (like babby's first own goal) to report.

With any luck in Spring I'll have the skills and finances to actually join a team!

How far are you from Vacaville? There's a dump of a rink there, but allegedly, the ice is pretty good.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Luckily I'm in south county so Vacaville is just over an hour away, with Oakland about the same (mainly due to the Maze). Those might become options for Saturday/Sunday, but during the week that's a bit much.

Our local rink has 4 leagues with 4-6 teams each, and after watching the Bronze guys play, it looks like I have a good distance to go before I'm up to their speed. But every time I step on the ice I'm improving, which is a great feeling.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No, people hate them because they look loving stupid awesome.

:cool:

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Had a strange moment last night.

We started the game with only 6 skaters, the other team had 10 (counting two who stayed over from the early game). Halfway through the first, the two subs switched to our side. We wound up coming back from 0-2 to win 5-3, so everyone was in high spirits in the locker room. Then suddenly one guy says "No more subs next week, guys. No more subs." Everyone laughed because the subs got the first two goals that tied it up, we were joking "leave some goals for us", etc. etc. That's when the guy made it clear that he was 100% serious, and he paid just as much as them, so it was total bullshit, and no more subs at all.

Perhaps not surprisingly, he's the worst no-effort kind of player, yet he still takes like 4 minute shifts every time. :rolleyes: Considering that next week is our last of the season, I don't know why he even brought it up. He would honestly rather lose 10 to nothing and be totally gassed every week than let someone take even one of "his" shifts.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

No, people hate them because they look loving stupid awesome.

naw theyre loving stupid

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

FreshFeesh posted:

Luckily I'm in south county so Vacaville is just over an hour away, with Oakland about the same (mainly due to the Maze). Those might become options for Saturday/Sunday, but during the week that's a bit much.

Our local rink has 4 leagues with 4-6 teams each, and after watching the Bronze guys play, it looks like I have a good distance to go before I'm up to their speed. But every time I step on the ice I'm improving, which is a great feeling.

Just sign up. Anybody who's too good to have you on their team can move up to silver or whatever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Brettbot posted:

Considering that next week is our last of the season, I don't know why he even brought it up. He would honestly rather lose 10 to nothing and be totally gassed every week than let someone take even one of "his" shifts.

I take it it is his team? Otherwise I would tell the guy I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to pay this much money to be unhappy and encourage him to find a group that is worth his money/time.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Chemmy posted:

Just sign up. Anybody who's too good to have you on their team can move up to silver or whatever.

We don't do any sort of draft so I'd need to find a team to pick me up. That said, it looks like my finances may be improving in the very near future, so :yotj: hockey!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The rink won't help you?

It's one thing to not have a free agent skate, but usually the directors can add you to a list or intro you to teams in need of players

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

FreshFeesh posted:

We don't do any sort of draft so I'd need to find a team to pick me up. That said, it looks like my finances may be improving in the very near future, so :yotj: hockey!

Schmooze your way in to any drop-in/pick-up/loosely organized game possible and be a cool dude. I'm in the process of doing this in the place I moved to and so far I've found:

a) a new team joining a league that'll play 1-2 times a week
b) a Sunday night drop-in
c) a loosely organized Tues/Thurs league (but I think it's a summer thing that wraps up this month), but it led to
d) a Friday pick-up with dudes from the above

I think there's also a Tues/Thurs drop-in that starts up in the winter. So like, 2-5 ice times a week and each one costs like $10 and some beer sometimes. I'll take that any time for exercise I actually enjoy.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I haven't looked too much into it (other than toying with the draft idea), having only gone to two stick and puck sessions so far. I'll ask around though and see what shakes loose.

I'm hoping to hit the rink twice this weekend to work on my backwards skating for a few hours; I'll see if their hockey admin is around.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

sellouts posted:

I take it it is his team? Otherwise I would tell the guy I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to pay this much money to be unhappy and encourage him to find a group that is worth his money/time.

No, it's a Novice league where everyone is randomly assigned to 1 of 4 teams at the start. So we probably won't see him/play with him again after next week. It was just so weird, especially because most everyone I've met playing hockey has been super cool.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ah. Then I would laugh at him, remind him that it's not a decision for him to make, and hand him a beer.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I'm trying out the allblackhockeysticks.com products, got my stick yesterday:

Came in one piece, seems to look and feel alright. I'm going to take it out on the ice today for a pond scrimmage for a full test.

Also gave it a dryland test on my newly constructed parking lot rat rink.

It was a good lunch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're eating lunch with the unwashed hands you put in your hockey gloves?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

He was eating with the gloves on.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

sellouts posted:

You're eating lunch with the unwashed hands you put in your hockey gloves?

Builds a strong immune system :smug:.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can say the stick worked well. I wasn't used to the shorter length, so a few of my passes were wimpy, but otherwise the puck went where I wanted. poo poo it even worked decently enough in the A game I subbed for out of the guy knowing me and the enthusiastic "gently caress it I got my poo poo here I'll play". I got dangled around several times but I kept a few from going in, so subbing in A was kind of a buzz for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:siren: Bronze championship tonight. Pro-click. :siren:

http://stats.rv.zev.net/oss-scoresheet.php?game_id=13950

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Holy gently caress dude how the gently caress does this happen? Ken Dryden would spend a whole chapter on the lead-up to this. :allears:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's some poo poo right there.

Let us know how the league handles it -- I don't know how you suspend an entire team given that there are opponents who paid money to play them.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

I hope by the time I wake up (8am pst) there's a write up of this.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Even the girls got in on the fighting?!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I didn't see it, but I talked to a guy who was there and he said there was a pretty bad boarding with like 10 secs left. Guy got up, dropped the gloves and both benched cleared. It sounded like everyone but maybe 2 people jumped on the ice to get in on it.

And yeah, even the girls got in on it from the looks of it. One of them is a pretty dirty player though, and it sounds like she went after 4-5 different people before someone just grabbed her.

I'm playing in the Silver championship tomorrow. I don't think we'll be able to top that one unfortunately.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I can't imagine how late the refs stayed to fill out the paperwork. Then again if it was the championship, would there be any suspensions or anything carried over to the next season?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There are a shitload of broken people in your league.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

I'm playing in the Silver championship tomorrow. I don't think we'll be able to top that one unfortunately.

Don't sell yourself short, just insert yourself into a scrum and drop someone with a Kaleta headbutt

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

What is the skill level of this league?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

There are a shitload of broken people in your league.

Couldn't say this any better myself.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bewbies posted:

What is the skill level of this league?

It's the lowest at our rink.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Assuming 10 minutes per game misconduct, there were 724 combined penalty minutes assessed in that game. Word on the street is that everyone involved is looking at a 4-game minimum suspension.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Assuming 10 minutes per game misconduct, there were 724 combined penalty minutes assessed in that game. Word on the street is that everyone involved is looking at a 4-game minimum suspension.

I don't know how a bench clearing brawl post-buzzer doesn't get people banned from the league. Is this a USA Hockey facility?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nope!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So basically if the season is 14 games you pay for them all but only play 10? So the rest of the league plays each other for those 4 games?

I guess that makes sense.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasn't someone saying in here a ways back that the lower the league, the more guys you run into trying to prove something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

lol some tryhards on one of those teams were on the team that tried to get in fights at one of our 3v3 fundraisers