Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Lets say I have some buttermilk and some about-to-go-off-but-still-ok milk (1%). We rarely use straight milk, so I can't imagine going through it before it goes bad. If I dump it in with the buttermilk will the mix just turn into more buttermilk (like a sourdough start/homemade yogurt type situation)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

His Divine Shadow posted:

So I'm on a low carb diet (since march and I've lost +20lbs so far woop) so I don't eat pasta, bread and potatoes anymore. Well I do eat them, just not very often.

Now I want to make my favorite food, spaghetti and meat sauce, but spaghetti is off limits so I am looking for alternatives. I've made fake spaghetti by mixing eggs, cream cheese and psyllium husk and baking that on sheets in the oven, then cutting to strings. This makes a sorta ok pasta analogue but its a lot of effort.

A simpler version is shredding & boiling cabbage but it's just not that good IMO.

What else can I try? I'm looking at simply slicing Zucchini right now, will probably try it tonight. I've had sauteed bell peppers and they're quite nice, but expensive.

Japanese grocers, and sometimes other Asian stores carry noodles called shirataki or konyaku noodles that are extremely low carb or carb free. The white colored noodles, made from a combination of konyaku and tofu, are closest to spaghetti.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Wouldn't it be "easier" to make gluten free meatballs and do some really awesome spaghetti and meatballs without the spaghetti? That process you mentioned sounds super involved for fake noodles.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Rurutia posted:

Honestly, when I'm cutting carbs, I just stay away from pasta/bread/rice as much as possible. Trying to replace it leads to sadness and tears and really not really great tasting food. Why would I eat boiled shreds of daikon/zucchini/carrot/etc when I can roast them whole in spices or make delcious pork and daikon stock soup? There's tons of really great recipes that are low carb and very healthy. With that said, I love shirataki noodles - with the caveat that you can't really treat them the same as wheat pasta. It's a great noodle in its own right.

Yes, this. Also, I second the suggestion to make spaghetti sauce with meatballs and just omit the spaghetti. Better if the sauce is chunkier so it feels like you're not missing much.

Another noodle: bean thread noodles. They are so low calorie, but really not filling. I used to eat them every night with fishballs, tofu, and napa cabbage in soup. Cheap delicious eats.

You can use them to make pancit too. Mmmm, pancit.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mach420 posted:

Japanese grocers, and sometimes other Asian stores carry noodles called shirataki

Oh god, be careful with those... They are massive doses of fiber.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Turkeybone posted:

Wouldn't it be "easier" to make gluten free meatballs and do some really awesome spaghetti and meatballs without the spaghetti? That process you mentioned sounds super involved for fake noodles.

Meat sauce over some good mozzarella is excellent as well.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

GrAviTy84 posted:

looking for a good zucchini/summer squash bread recipe. thanks!

Smitten Kitchen has a really good one. I can't for the life of me find the one I made last summer that blew my socks off, but the SK one is very tasty.

Edit: It's not the same as spaghetti, but I had a really delicious veggie cake thing (kind of like a croquette, made with pureed spinach and broccoli and herbs, and I think barley to help hold it together) at a restaurant in England, with a slice of camembert on top and a little bolognese, and it was loving amazing. Maybe something like that would sate your urge?

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 18, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Thirding the shirataki. No joke, they are noodles, they are zero calories, they have texture, they pick up the taste of the sauce. They are very, very, very cool. I do a pile of bolognese sauce w/ them (maybe with some of my egg white/fiber bread) all the time for a 400 calorie meal. Use lots of pecorino!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Michael Ruhlman's method for making zucchini "noodles" is definitely my favorite. Lots of recipes will have you blanching zucchini or cooking it in the sauce, which can quickly turn it to mush if you're not careful. Ruhlman just suggest julienning (with a mandolin) and then tossing with copious salt in a colander and allowing that to drain into your sink for 5-15 minutes (depending on the size of your julienne), similar to the way you do for eggplant. This turns the zucchini into something pliable and excellent and ready for pretty much any sauce, after you rinse off the excess salt.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

Smitten Kitchen has a really good one. I can't for the life of me find the one I made last summer that blew my socks off, but the SK one is very tasty.

Edit: It's not the same as spaghetti, but I had a really delicious veggie cake thing (kind of like a croquette, made with pureed spinach and broccoli and herbs, and I think barley to help hold it together) at a restaurant in England, with a slice of camembert on top and a little bolognese, and it was loving amazing. Maybe something like that would sate your urge?

That sounds delicious but the barley is going to be an issue if the person wants to go low-carb. But really, all those ingredients just in with sauce I think would be awesome. Or some like almond flour eggplant parm?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

So I'm on a low carb diet (since march and I've lost +20lbs so far woop) so I don't eat pasta, bread and potatoes anymore. Well I do eat them, just not very often.

Now I want to make my favorite food, spaghetti and meat sauce, but spaghetti is off limits so I am looking for alternatives. I've made fake spaghetti by mixing eggs, cream cheese and psyllium husk and baking that on sheets in the oven, then cutting to strings. This makes a sorta ok pasta analogue but its a lot of effort.

A simpler version is shredding & boiling cabbage but it's just not that good IMO.

What else can I try? I'm looking at simply slicing Zucchini right now, will probably try it tonight. I've had sauteed bell peppers and they're quite nice, but expensive.

Seconding whoever said just to treat yourself to a infrequent cheat meal. I've never had shiritaki turn out good unless it was in soup, but I also don't like them that much. :shrug:

When I living at home with my low-carb parents I would often have a meat sauce over a big wack of veggies. Cauliflower holds onto sauce well if its not too wet. The sauce was really, really thick, too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I like making carbonara with arugula or butter lettuce instead of noodles. Carbonara... salad. Feels good man.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Turkeybone posted:

That sounds delicious but the barley is going to be an issue if the person wants to go low-carb. But really, all those ingredients just in with sauce I think would be awesome. Or some like almond flour eggplant parm?

I bet you could get it to hold together without the barley, that's just what was in the one I had (I think? I was a little drunk when I ordered it, and it was a year ago, so...).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I did zucchini noodles for vegan icsa a while back. I just shredded it and then stir fried directly. No need to blanch.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

bowmore posted:

Why not just make really loving good spaghetti bolognese and have it as a cheat meal.

Yeah I would lean towards this. Cheat meals every now and then are fine, so long as they are rare. Unless you really plan on not eating carbs again when you get down your normal weight. Otherwise that is asking for a rubber band effect when you're less rigid with your diet.

Zucchini or carrot noodles are cool in somethings like stirfries or what have you (I had a cool pad thai like this once) but in a pasta, meeeeh.

I would probably just do meatballs and other protein like that in a thicker sauce before doing zucchini like that. For some reason I wanna say big mushrooms sauteed might be good but I just kinda farted that idea out and I have no idea if it would be good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The reason it's appealing is that noodles are one of the best, best, best standby meals to have around. If your sauce is frozen you can have something great in fifteen minutes. And you can make/keep 16 portions in your freezer really easily.

Getting drunk and coming home and making a pound of shirataki noodles with some chicken liver/pork/veal/beef ragu just rules, and it's quicker than going out of your way to stand in line and get some unhealthy garbage. Keeps you solid the next day.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Nicol Bolas posted:

Michael Ruhlman's method for making zucchini "noodles" is definitely my favorite. Lots of recipes will have you blanching zucchini or cooking it in the sauce, which can quickly turn it to mush if you're not careful. Ruhlman just suggest julienning (with a mandolin) and then tossing with copious salt in a colander and allowing that to drain into your sink for 5-15 minutes (depending on the size of your julienne), similar to the way you do for eggplant. This turns the zucchini into something pliable and excellent and ready for pretty much any sauce, after you rinse off the excess salt.
I've done this with daikon and it turned out pretty well.
Cut them sort of like slightly thinner udon, treated them similarly and put them in a sauce like ma jiang mian.

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
I've tried tofu skin cut into noodle shapes before. Its ok, they don't really soften and absorb flavors well. The best was the one time I found a 5 spice flavored variety. However, the sheets make for some delicious lasagna.

(The ones that look like , not the flaky version.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Any favorite lasagna recipes? I had to stop looking when the purported "BEST lasagna recipe ever" ended up having green can parmesan in it.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Look for a good lasagna bolognese recipe that uses bechamel instead of ricotta. Here are a few

http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=152&resolution=high
sauce: http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Display=150

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/02/lasagna-bolognese/

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3274358-Lasagne-Bolognese?full_recipe=true

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
Any suggestions for a white sangria recipe? Its for a byo sangria party on Saturday and I'd like to do something different than the traditional red wine version. Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Lasagna is a dish of parts, so a good lasagna recipe is one which incorporates good parts. The most important is definitely the bolognese sauce. If you can make a proper bolognese – sautee a sofrito of diced carrots, onions, and celery, toss in some minced garlic, then your ground meat (I like a mix of pork and beef), which you brown while constantly stirring to break up chunks, add some tomatoes (not too heavy on the tomatoes), then deglaze with a good bit of white wine and cook on low for a few hours until it's reduced nicely, then season, dash with heavy cream, and cook for another few minutes until everything's well-incorporated – it'll make a world of difference. Homemade noodles are also a great call, especially if you incorporate some basil and spinach into the dough for flavor and color. Classic Italian lasagna calls for bechamel, Italian-American lasagna uses ricotta. I like using ricotta if I add cream to the bolognese, whereas if I'm going for the bechamel I omit the cream so the bolognese remains a bit tangier. Topping it all with a hefty layer of fresh-ground parmiggiano is of course required for that perfect crust on top.

Does this help? Do you need more specifics?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Yeah I would lean towards this. Cheat meals every now and then are fine, so long as they are rare. Unless you really plan on not eating carbs again when you get down your normal weight. Otherwise that is asking for a rubber band effect when you're less rigid with your diet.

I'm not planning to go back to my ordinary diet since that way lies sadness and flabbyness. I'd rather not eat my favorite foods ever again than be fat, it's really such a horrible thing to be fat. It's not as noticeable when you're overweight because you try and ignore what's happened to you and make excuses, mental blocks and so on. But then if you manage becoming slim, then you truly know how bad it was and how much better every single aspect of life is now. Literally every single aspect, every time you walk by a mirror and notice yourself, so much better.

Because this is not really a diet but a life style change I have some carbs in this diet, I eat some bread weekly, cheat meals once or twice per month and if I'm at other peoples houses I eat what's served. Already had some cheat meals this week so I didn't want to start making pasta so soon after that, I have another cheat meal planned for this month that I don't want to give up. Slicing and stir frying zucchinis turned out fine tho.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So how do yall think I should attack the nutella marshmallow idea? Boil it 1:1 with water to thin it out, make a simple syrup out of it? Will just boiling it in a double boiler be alright for thinning it down? I was trying to make some hot chocolate the other day and I got lazy and tried to melt nutella in the microwave by itself and burned it. That's what I get for being lazy right? Anyway, all helps appreciated.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Wha? Did you post this idea somewhere else? Is your idea to make nutella marshmallows? I've made marshmallows back in the day, a long time ago, but I remember it's kinda involved and I don't think it would hold up to just adding a very liquid thing like diluted nutella. You'd probably want to use melted butter to thin it out, or perhaps heavy cream to get something more like ganache? If it were me I would go one of two ways: the super extensive way of making chocolate marshmallows with cocoa powder and adding chopped hazelnuts or some sort of butter/praline-like paste, or the complete lazy way and just whipping together nutella and fluff.

e: Somehow I just imagine melted nutella being a sad, broken mess rather than what everyone would hope and expect it to be.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Kenning posted:

Lasagna is a dish of parts, so a good lasagna recipe is one which incorporates good parts. The most important is definitely the bolognese sauce. If you can make a proper bolognese – sautee a sofrito of diced carrots, onions, and celery, toss in some minced garlic, then your ground meat (I like a mix of pork and beef), which you brown while constantly stirring to break up chunks, add some tomatoes (not too heavy on the tomatoes), then deglaze with a good bit of white wine and cook on low for a few hours until it's reduced nicely, then season, dash with heavy cream, and cook for another few minutes until everything's well-incorporated – it'll make a world of difference. Homemade noodles are also a great call, especially if you incorporate some basil and spinach into the dough for flavor and color. Classic Italian lasagna calls for bechamel, Italian-American lasagna uses ricotta. I like using ricotta if I add cream to the bolognese, whereas if I'm going for the bechamel I omit the cream so the bolognese remains a bit tangier. Topping it all with a hefty layer of fresh-ground parmiggiano is of course required for that perfect crust on top.

Does this help? Do you need more specifics?

No, that is quite helpful! Based on your and mich's posts I think I might turn this into a multi-day effort. Day one, awesome bolognese, day two, awesome lasagna.

Nice, thank you. I especially love that second link and I might attempt it. At least the bolognese.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

I'm not planning to go back to my ordinary diet since that way lies sadness and flabbyness. I'd rather not eat my favorite foods ever again than be fat, it's really such a horrible thing to be fat. It's not as noticeable when you're overweight because you try and ignore what's happened to you and make excuses, mental blocks and so on. But then if you manage becoming slim, then you truly know how bad it was and how much better every single aspect of life is now. Literally every single aspect, every time you walk by a mirror and notice yourself, so much better.

Because this is not really a diet but a life style change I have some carbs in this diet, I eat some bread weekly, cheat meals once or twice per month and if I'm at other peoples houses I eat what's served. Already had some cheat meals this week so I didn't want to start making pasta so soon after that, I have another cheat meal planned for this month that I don't want to give up. Slicing and stir frying zucchinis turned out fine tho.

I gotcha. I am glad you are happy that you're on the track to getting in shape, and that the recipe worked out for you! And the fact that you've found a very awesome looking cheat meal for me to bookmark. Thanks!

E: I've got a mango that is a day or two from going bad, and I am sick of doing salsa and stuff with them. Ideas?

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 19, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I gotcha. I am glad you are happy that you're on the track to getting in shape, and that the recipe worked out for you! And the fact that you've found a very awesome looking cheat meal for me to bookmark. Thanks!

E: I've got a mango that is a day or two from going bad, and I am sick of doing salsa and stuff with them. Ideas?

Mix some mango into vanilla ice cream.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Ripe mangoes freeze pretty well, my preferred method is it to peel and fillet them and then line a pan for the initial freeze before bagging them. They are good in smoothies but mostly I eat them straight as a snack.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hawkgirl posted:

No, that is quite helpful! Based on your and mich's posts I think I might turn this into a multi-day effort. Day one, awesome bolognese, day two, awesome lasagna.

Nice, thank you. I especially love that second link and I might attempt it. At least the bolognese.
Frankly I prefer the ricotta version, even though bechamel is traditional. If you make your own ricotta (which is somewhat involved, as you have to have some whey to start with, which means you made some other cheese initially) or buy really nice stuff, it's quite a fine recipe.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
So im thinking of going to one of the local markets here on sunday an bying the stuff for a boeuf bourgignon. But my problem is im currently in france an have
1. no idea what meat to use and
2. what its called in french? and
3. Is it possible to somehow make a small portion of it since its just gonna be me and my gf.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Terrormisu posted:

I've tried tofu skin cut into noodle shapes before. Its ok, they don't really soften and absorb flavors well. The best was the one time I found a 5 spice flavored variety. However, the sheets make for some delicious lasagna.

(The ones that look like , not the flaky version.

They're best tossed with light soy, chili, sesame oil and lots of chopped fresh cilantro :d

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Hawkgirl posted:

Day one, awesome bolognese, day two, awesome lasagna.
Day three, awesomer lasagna. It's always better after it's relaxed a day and reheated.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Hauki posted:

I've done this with daikon and it turned out pretty well.
Cut them sort of like slightly thinner udon, treated them similarly and put them in a sauce like ma jiang mian.

Can you do this with long, thin pieces of daikon, or is this purely as a julienned thing? Just so I get this straight, you cut the daikon, salted it, rinsed, then stir-fried?

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?

Sjurygg posted:

They're best tossed with light soy, chili, sesame oil and lots of chopped fresh cilantro :d

Awesome, I have all these things! Thanks for the tip.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

squigadoo posted:

Can you do this with long, thin pieces of daikon, or is this purely as a julienned thing? Just so I get this straight, you cut the daikon, salted it, rinsed, then stir-fried?
Yeah, I've done it with a peeler too and they basically turn out like linguine. Just trim up a long cylinder and use a knife or peeler to cut 1/8"-3/16" wide strips, moving around the body of the radish as you go. Uh, I think as I cut them I put them in to a salted ice bath, then drained and stir-fried for like 30s tops. I think the water's mostly just to keep them from wilting as you work. They may discolor too? It's been a few years and I can't remember what I was following at the time.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

vuk83 posted:

So im thinking of going to one of the local markets here on sunday an bying the stuff for a boeuf bourgignon. But my problem is im currently in france an have
1. no idea what meat to use and
2. what its called in french? and
3. Is it possible to somehow make a small portion of it since its just gonna be me and my gf.

Look, I know this is the newbie food question thread and all that, but are you asking what boef bourgignon is called in French?

Hopefully you meant the cut of meat. I don't know poo poo about French named cuts, but someone else on the internets asked this question. Hopefully this helps.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/74150/help-me-identify-this-french-cut-of-beef-in-english

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah the cut off meat.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Turkeybone posted:

Wha? Did you post this idea somewhere else? Is your idea to make nutella marshmallows? I've made marshmallows back in the day, a long time ago, but I remember it's kinda involved and I don't think it would hold up to just adding a very liquid thing like diluted nutella. You'd probably want to use melted butter to thin it out, or perhaps heavy cream to get something more like ganache? If it were me I would go one of two ways: the super extensive way of making chocolate marshmallows with cocoa powder and adding chopped hazelnuts or some sort of butter/praline-like paste, or the complete lazy way and just whipping together nutella and fluff.

e: Somehow I just imagine melted nutella being a sad, broken mess rather than what everyone would hope and expect it to be.

Except the simple syrup was waaaay runny back when I made it in 09.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
"Le boeuf pour le boeuf bourguignon, SVP."