Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't flood the first fort where I tried to learn water.

The fort after, however, I tried to get my water supply from the bottom of a lake, unaware of just how severe water pressure is.

"Ok so the water should come faster but I'm sure from this distance I can get a door built in time" -me a minute before watching my entire fort go underwater in ~3 frames of game time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's a little unintuitive how unpressurized water flows like jello while pressurized water just gives no fucks at all and moves at light speed

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
It's a little unintuitive how you've had a membership since at least 2012 and still double post multiple times a day.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Please help me. I have a 1080p display and when I use ASCII graphics, it fills up the whole screen with cool text and stuff. When I use any tileset at all I get like 10 tiles of height and huge-rear end letterbox bars at the top and bottom. Why won't it expand to fit my monitor?

EDIT: Seems to only happen when using TWBT...

Have you tried using your mouse scrollwheel? It raises and lowers zoom level, and it might help.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Have you tried using your mouse scrollwheel? It raises and lowers zoom level, and it might help.

By default it cycles z levels in lnp.

Also.... propwash? Like from vwe?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Gibbo posted:

It's a little unintuitive how you've had a membership since at least 2012 and still double post multiple times a day.

double posting is extremely Cool and Good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Who the gently caress cares about double posting lol

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Also dwarf fortress is a cool game I should try the newer version some time

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't played since temples and taverns were added. Are they a proper need, like how if you don't give your dwarves beds they get nutty pretty fast, or is it something you can just ignore and procrastinate on for a while?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Depends on how much you appreciate playing craps.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

not to such a degree, but if you let unmet needs rot for too long, they'll eventually incubate into actual bad thoughts. I can't find a definitive answer, but it seems that the overall level of distraction (number of needs in the "satisfied" zone vs. the number of needs in the "not met" zone) will start slowing dwarves down in the same way that scotch starvation does

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nettle Soup posted:

One day I'll work out how carts and rails work...

You should, they're like Dwarf Sorcery.

Making goblins play frogger to get to your gates or launching carts filled with lava at relativistic speeds at enemies is great fun.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is the r09 LNP the pack de jour? I'm checking because last time I played DF a few months ago, I learned much later that everyone was actually using a really stable beta and I was playing an old version like some kind of a scrub.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I think the latest LNP is for 0.43.03. I think the main DF menu will say what version you're on.

The rNN portion is less relevant: you want the latest, yes, but it resets to 1 for every new DF released.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

virinvictus posted:

What if you flood your fort EVERY time?

Still doing it right.

Every dwarf fortress player must flood a fort at least four times. Once unintentionally with water, once unintentionally with lava, and then intentionally with both.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Still doing it right.

Every dwarf fortress player must flood a fort at least four times. Once unintentionally with water, once unintentionally with lava, and then intentionally with both.

I once lost nearly an entire fort to a goblin invasion. So the last thing I did was have my badly wounded, single surviving miner dig a tunnel to the lava moat and breech it. You fuckers may have gotten into the fort, but you'll never leave!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Same, when all is lost the place gets flooded. If I can't have it, nobody can.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There's some serious pressure on volcano magma shafts. Take a wild guess how I found out.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

aphid_licker posted:

There's some serious pressure on volcano magma shafts. Take a wild guess how I found out.

Yeah, volcano exploitation can be a rather temperamental undertaking. Cracking a mountain just below the mouth of the volcano to drain it down a bit (so you can cap and colonize the crater for magma industry and/or create a sweet magma moat and/or scour away the unclean wilderness in a tide of fire) is reliable almost to the point of being entirely safe, in my experience, but as soon as you compromise that protective tube of obsidian down in your subterranean levels, poo poo is gonna get real Boatmurdered, real fast.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Magma... pressure? It's really been way too long since I last embarked on a volcano.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
It doesn't flow out like a real volcano but yeah if you pop the chute its uh.... there's a lot.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Magma doesn't have downward pressure like water does but yeah if you dig into the side of a volcano there's a decent chance your miner isn't going to make it out of the way before it engulfs him just because there's a ton of it on the same z-level that's gonna want to flood out.

It's possible though. Maybe like 50/50 they survive. You can reduce the odds* by having them carve a fortification vs digging the square out and/or opening up the chute at a diagonal versus straight on (but like I said there's no downward pressure, so you don't actually need the diagonal to kill the pressure).

*based on my confirmation bias + 'research'

Angry Diplomat posted:

but as soon as you compromise that protective tube of obsidian down in your subterranean levels, poo poo is gonna get real Boatmurdered, real fast.

Eh I do this all the time to get a channel of magma for my forges. Just gambling with the miner's life, really. It won't flood above where it initially enters like water would though. Once you get the initial channel done you can expand it safely by digging it longer from above.

e: the best forges have some dwarf blood in the fires anyway

ee: Also just a note if you're a perfectionist like me - the darker colored X when placing buildings is not passable, so ideally you want to have the dark X on your forge/smelter over the holes into your magma channel so no magma crabs or whatever come out of there. It's super rare as they act like wildlife versus hostile AIs but it does happen. Building destroyers can't break from below either so no cheeky fire-proof Titan is going to get in that way either.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 14, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
My setup for magma, no matter if its the sea or a magma tube prevents all these issues:

~ = Magma
U = upstair
W = Natural Wall
F = Fortification carved before walling
C = Constructed wall before channeling
H = The final channeling from above that is then floored over after.

code:
~WUWU
~WCWC
~H~F~  -> To forges
~WWWW
The key is to predig and clear your channels to where you want your forges to be, set up enough for all the forges you're ever going to want. Then seal off the passages with constructions before piecing the magma. Its impossible for there to be spots where you can't do this, just some that would make it slightly more difficult.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How are you channeling out 'H' from above without digging out the space above it?

I thought you had to do it like so:

e: oh wait i'm thinking side view

Well still, you can't channel from above if you're piercing the middle of a volcano because the wall is vertical. I don't see how to do it without at the very least risking the dude piercing the magma. In your diagram the miner either has to dig 'H' from the side and move fast or channel 'H' from above which isn't possible.

Unless you're talking about at the top of the volcano the magma sea, in which case yeah that works. I was talking about piercing it from the middle of a vent though.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 14, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don't generally play on volcano maps (surface is too uneven). Are magma tubes always perfectly vertical, or do they wobble a bit? If they wobble a bit you could breach them by channel in a place where the level your dwarf is standing on juts into the tube slightly.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
From my experience chutes are always perfectly vertical.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If it really is perfectly vertical all the way down to the deepest youre willing to go just channel a vertical tube to the side of it that drops down to your forge level, then do the channel from above thing at the top most layer, still no reason to penetrate sideways.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

M_Gargantua posted:

If it really is perfectly vertical all the way down to the deepest youre willing to go just channel a vertical tube to the side of it that drops down to your forge level, then do the channel from above thing at the top most layer, still no reason to penetrate sideways.

You can't channel from above if there is not an empty space above the channeled spot though, and making an empty space there presents exactly the same problem except just 1 z-level higher.

That said yeah there's no real reason to penetrate from the middle as opposed to the top where it is safe. Just somethin' to do.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Live dangerously, pump the magma with a wooden screw pump.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

How do I get these assholes to stop vomiting all over my fortress?! The sun is making them sick and the dumb fucks keep going outside

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Make them go outside MORE so they get over being outside.

How about a meeting room open to the sun? Don't forget walls around the lip.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

TheHoosier posted:

How do I get these assholes to stop vomiting all over my fortress?! The sun is making them sick and the dumb fucks keep going outside

I had to look this up a little while ago

PurpleXVI posted:

How much/how regular sunlight does it take to stave off cave adaptation, anyway?

scamtank posted:

Depends. Getting some fresh air, whatever the weather, makes it go away 10 times as fast as being in the dark accumulates it. You need a year's worth of huddling underground before exposure to sunny weather starts causing symptoms, 1.5 years until people start getting barfy and about 2 years until the counter caps out. If I'm counting right, you need about 6-7 weeks of uninterrupted outdoor therapy until a completely dark dwarf is back to normal.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been putting my tavern outside the fortress entrance proper but inside the main curtain walls, seems to do the trick after a while.

Or yeah meeting hall open to the sun works, too. If you want to be game-y about it you can construct a floor to seal it off again - the part under the constructed ceiling will be 'inside' but not 'underground' and will have sunlight going into it anyway. Added bonus, it won't rain on your dwarves causing bad thoughts.

If you don't like that you can always make the ceiling bit out of glass (constructions with glass are opaque for terms of visibility purposes but it's a good compromise for people who don't like to exploit glitches but want some sun).

Been putting military training rooms on the surface, too. The sun adaptation maluses in 40.xx are pretty brutal.

e: also idk if it is a function of me putting the tavern building above ground so that the sun combined with the alcohol causes super drunkness but my last fort had 3 dwarves die of what I can only assume is alcohol poisoning. Otherwise healthy dwarves keeling over dead in a pool of vomit and wine on the tavern floor. Feature or bug?

ee: or elfish spies???

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 14, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this is correct but it may be the dwarves passing out and drowning

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

scamtank posted:

I had to look this up a little while ago

There's just... so... much. I don't have a screenshot at the moment but they have vomited everywhere. They're vomiting all over the above ground construction for their new meeting area/tavern. SO MUCH VOMIT

edit: they vomited on the dwarf liaison the day he came to make us a barony. they vomited on the new war dogs. they vomited in their mugs.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 14, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheHoosier posted:

There's just... so... much. I don't have a screenshot at the moment but they have vomited everywhere. They're vomiting all over the above ground construction for their new meeting area/tavern. SO MUCH VOMIT

This is Traditional, yes.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Not sure if this is correct but it may be the dwarves passing out and drowning

we're happy to report that people drinking themselves to death is indeed a Thing

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Nevermind question was answered. What do i do with this caged gorlak

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 15, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TheHoosier posted:

Nevermind question was answered. What do i do with this caged gorlak

Dwarffortress.txt

Edit:vvv not making fun of you. We LIKE reading about new people's experiences. It's fun.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah sorry if I ask a lot of stupid questions, still exploring everything. Ended up with like, 4 caged Draltha in my animal stockpile after they walked into cage traps. Then a Gorlak. Then 3 Giant Bats. I have a menagerie going without even trying to have one.