Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Don't be a scab. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any cool synth related places in Tokyo anyone can recommend (not just shopping)? Definitely wanna look at the second hand stuff, gotta be cheaper than Australia. There's a good list of places to check out from one of the Korg designers but I'd love to know if anyone has first-hand experience.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

field balm posted:

Any cool synth related places in Tokyo anyone can recommend (not just shopping)? Definitely wanna look at the second hand stuff, gotta be cheaper than Australia. There's a good list of places to check out from one of the Korg designers but I'd love to know if anyone has first-hand experience.

Go spend that money on vinyl and/or video games instead. Maybe guitar pedals

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

field balm posted:

Here's a list curated by Korg engineer Tatsuya Takahashi: https://www.airbnb.com/things-to-do/insider-guidebook/408

EDIT:

Nvm, you posted that you saw it already. A cursory search on Google says that your best bets are Echigoya and Five G.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Go spend that money on vinyl and/or video games instead. Maybe guitar pedals

Thank you fellow synthgoon, but to imply I wasn't going to also burn 10bux on records and vidya is borderline offensive! Got some great noise and skramz stuff in Shinjuku last time, and a massive chunk of my game collection was purchased in various Bookoffs.

VoodooXT posted:

Here's a list curated by Korg engineer Tatsuya Takahashi: https://www.airbnb.com/things-to-do/insider-guidebook/408

EDIT:

Nvm, you posted that you saw it already. A cursory search on Google says that your best bets are Echigoya and Five G.

Thanks, they're on the list now!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What a long flipping week. Sat down and plugged poo poo in and played with knobs while bobbing head and hit record. Digitakt, TD-3 and modular.

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/alarms

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone tell me if I've hosed this up myself

I have a "komplete audio 1" USB audio interface thing. I really should have gotten the 2 but I didn't

so I had a galaxy brain idea to just get an ordinary audio to mic cable, and then wow I can play my circuit into 1 and bass station into 2. it worked extremely well
(coz the komplete 1 has two channels, 1 is mic 1 is audio input, where the komplete 2 has two inputs, both can be used for either)

until now... any audio going into the mic input is now incredibly quiet and if I crank up all the gains and volumes I can hear it but its still quite and very noisy.. but it does work on some level

have I fried part of the internals of my Komplete Audio 1?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It's possible you fried the mic input if you sent a line signal without a pad.

The good news is now you have an excuse to buy a proper audio interface, or a mixer to send into the line in.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
It’s possible you fried it, but it would be extremely disappointing if that’s all it took to blow it out

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Most audio interface have combo xlr/jack inputs but it looks like the komplete one doesn't and expects only mic signal in input 1.

Line signal is 1000 times stronger than mic so it's probably not a good idea to send a synth in that first input.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mr. Dick would suspect the hell out of software before worrying if the interface is fried. There might be a line/mic flag that got switched, or, for example, reaper will automute tracks if the input level or signal chain gets to high.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Parts question, Synthcube is having another sale and I grabbed a Wangernumb. It needs a Vactrol optocoupler. I have modern IC optocouplers on hand and just about zero experience with older types like the Vactrol brand. I do have LEDs and photodiodes on hand to kludge a homemade one, but I'm keen to learn. I see a range of stock on eBay and the boutiques but without datasheets I'm not sure what to pick.

E:
What I'm finding is this:
Cheap version: https://store.synthrotek.com/Vactrol
Modern Version: https://store.synthrotek.com/VTL5C3-Vactrol-Optocoupler_p_792.html

EBB fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 8, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Lesson learned on ordering a pile of eurorack patch cables. Test em all with a continuous signal and wiggle them around good before throwing them on the stack. Had one bad cable that had me scratching my head for way too long and kinda soured my mood thinking one of my modules died.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Were the colors good at least? Can’t have proper bleepbloop transmission if your cable color game isn’t on-point.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

EBB posted:

Parts question, Synthcube is having another sale and I grabbed a Wangernumb. It needs a Vactrol optocoupler. I have modern IC optocouplers on hand and just about zero experience with older types like the Vactrol brand. I do have LEDs and photodiodes on hand to kludge a homemade one, but I'm keen to learn. I see a range of stock on eBay and the boutiques but without datasheets I'm not sure what to pick.

E:
Modern Version: https://store.synthrotek.com/VTL5C3-Vactrol-Optocoupler_p_792.html

The Wangernumb BOM even says just DIY it. :D Looking at the schematic and having built NLC modules before, I wouldn’t focus too much on the particulars of different parts. Try something out, and if you like the way the VCO range feature works, then it’s good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's possible you fried the mic input if you sent a line signal without a pad.

The good news is now you have an excuse to buy a proper audio interface, or a mixer to send into the line in.

By proper do you mean to say the Komplete range is rubbish, or for example, get the Komplete Audio 2 which actually truly supports two lines?

Would someone recommend something else?

Mr. Dick posted:

Mr. Dick would suspect the hell out of software before worrying if the interface is fried. There might be a line/mic flag that got switched, or, for example, reaper will automute tracks if the input level or signal chain gets to high.

Unfortunately I've reset everything etc etc :(

Thing that surprises me I guess is that it's 95% fried not 100% fried, SOME signal still gets thru

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Most audio interface have combo xlr/jack inputs but it looks like the komplete one doesn't and expects only mic signal in input 1.

Line signal is 1000 times stronger than mic so it's probably not a good idea to send a synth in that first input.

I think the thing that fried it is more like plugging and unplugging, rather than the signal from the Circuit itself, because it ran fine for ages.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

By proper do you mean to say the Komplete range is rubbish, or for example, get the Komplete Audio 2 which actually truly supports two lines?

It's not rubbish at all. It's just from what I quickly read about it says input 1 is meant for mic levels only. The Audio 2 version looks indeed better for you if you plan to send it 2 line signals. Or any audio interface with 2 line inputs. 2 lines inputs is always interesting, just for the ability to receive stereo signals, from a mixer for example.

That it worked for ages with line levels shows its good quality. Just it doesn't seems to be designed for that. I hope it's not fried but only you can confirm it.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 9, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

good jovi posted:

The Wangernumb BOM even says just DIY it. :D Looking at the schematic and having built NLC modules before, I wouldn’t focus too much on the particulars of different parts. Try something out, and if you like the way the VCO range feature works, then it’s good.

Well I have snips if it doesn't work.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Were the colors good at least? Can’t have proper bleepbloop transmission if your cable color game isn’t on-point.

Pink, gray, & and blue crew for life don't @ me

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

echinopsis posted:

an ordinary audio to mic cable
Post a pic that shows both ends of the cable, because this can mean a bunch of things.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Philthy posted:

Has anyone here used a legit Devil Fish TB-303? Would it be worth it to you?
Yes, and yes.

That said, it seems like they'll be able to add Devil Fish mods to stock TD-3s (similar to what they did for the first style/case design of TT-303s, and of course TB-303s originally), so if that becomes a fully-baked option, and depending on price point, I might go that route.

I'm outside the norm though in that I seem to be collecting weird 303 clones, despite not having the outright intention or plan to do so...

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kinda getting into little mini jams based around interesting sounding scales

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/bassline

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Flipperwaldt posted:

Post a pic that shows both ends of the cable, because this can mean a bunch of things.

And, in particular, a point my production professor/mentor told our class: just because it fits doesn't mean it goes there.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

EBB posted:

E:

While there is no ethical synthing under capitalism, the synthrotek dude moved his operations out of Portland, he claims, because he didn't like the political climate. He also had a ....curious social media meltdown shortly prior. While you can't get components that haven't been touched by third world exploitation, there might be better people to pay the middle man fee to. If you can wait a month for your stuff to get to you from China, you can skip the middle man and get your stuff at a fraction of the price.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Dick posted:

While there is no ethical synthing under capitalism, the synthrotek dude moved his operations out of Portland, he claims, because he didn't like the political climate. He also had a ....curious social media meltdown shortly prior. While you can't get components that haven't been touched by third world exploitation, there might be better people to pay the middle man fee to. If you can wait a month for your stuff to get to you from China, you can skip the middle man and get your stuff at a fraction of the price.

Please don't tell me I've been buying gear from a Nazi for the past six months. Or do, because that blows.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It was a pink one. :(

Blue, Pink, Red, Yellow, Green are my go-to.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh, I found the Reddit post with the screenshots of the Weinstein joke. Classy.

E: Wow. Looking around some more I feel really lovely for breaking the boycott. I was not aware how bad the dude was.

EBB fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 9, 2020

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

EBB posted:

A couple of my friends who are in the Euro maker circles warned me off buying Synthrotek stuff when I got interested in modular, specifically because they knew Steve and thought he was awful. I never got the impression that he was a full-on chud, just a weird christian libertarian rear end in a top hat. Though a lot of weird christian libertarian assholes I know have become chuds in the last two years, so all bets are off.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

EBB posted:

E: Wow. Looking around some more I feel really lovely for breaking the boycott. I was not aware how bad the dude was.

Don't feel bad, it's not like there's a confirmation notice before you check out "Make sure your shipping address is up to date, also are you sure you want to financially support a douchebag?"
Now you know, tell someone else, your karmic debt will be squared.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If that's what you plugged into it you probably indeed blew the mic preamp, since the signal from your Circuit is going to be several hundred times higher voltage than what a microphone puts out. So yeah,

rickiep00h posted:

just because it fits doesn't mean it goes there.

Your input 1 is now dead. RIP input 1. Plenty of 2-channel interfaces at a similar price point that will give you more flexibility, and all the software you got with the Komplete should be interface-agnostic. That is, whatever hardware interface you get to replace this one should work with whatever software you have already, with only some minor tweaks in your audio interface settings.

And while a bunch of possible workarounds will probably come up from people, the main thing to remember is that mic inputs are for microphones, instrument inputs are for guitars, basses, and some older keyboards, and line level inputs are for most other equipment, including a boatload of synths and synth-adjacent things like grooveboxes. Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end, but it's better than frying a mic preamp.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Most audio interfaces have combo XLR/Jack inputs and can handle both type of signal (provided you don't use the cable pictured above to route the synth into the mic circuit)

Even the Komplete audio 2 does and was just a few bucks more than the 1

It's really a case of bad luck and learning from your mistakes I guess. But you really want to invest in a 2 line inputs anyway, so you can handle stereo from pedals/stereo synths for nice reverb/delay effects. It really makes a big difference in your productions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Most audio interfaces have combo XLR/Jack inputs and can handle both type of signal (provided you don't use the cable pictured above to route the synth into the mic circuit)

Even the Komplete audio 2 does and was just a few bucks more than the 1

It's really a case of bad luck and learning from your mistakes I guess. But you really want to invest in a 2 line inputs anyway, so you can handle stereo from pedals/stereo synths for nice reverb/delay effects. It really makes a big difference in your productions

eh it was 50 more bucks and at the time I was thinking about using loop functions to create music, why the hell would I need two inputs

rickiep00h posted:

Your input 1 is now dead. RIP input 1. Plenty of 2-channel interfaces at a similar price point that will give you more flexibility, and all the software you got with the Komplete should be interface-agnostic. That is, whatever hardware interface you get to replace this one should work with whatever software you have already, with only some minor tweaks in your audio interface settings.

Yeah ableton handled it as two channels easily.

idk if it was a huge amount higher, that would imply that the gain would be basically off and the volume low on the circuit or I'd get mass distortion, but I generally run things like synths at half volume and set the gain to get about 80% in ableton, and I had to add gain on the Komplete audio to get there. Maybe my understanding of this is off, it's just that it worked flawlessly.. until it didn't.

I've created henious abortions of audio equipment before. lol currently, I have a 12v Class D subwoofer amp with a dual voice coil 12" sub running off a pc power supply as part of my audio system.

Lol with this power supply I learned that if it draws too much current on the 12v rails (which I soldered all together) without any on the 5v rail it'll shut off the power supply, so I have a large resistor across the 5v to keep the whole thing running and supply 12 volts of delicious PC power supply to this very large car amp. I'll see if I can put up some photos. but regardless, this mic input thing is the first time I've really hosed something. take huge risks I say. gently caress everything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the large resistor cable tied onto a heat sink

whoops not soldered, just all the 12v cables stripped and twisted together and electric taped. I used two different colours for safety

this cute wee cable is the thing that tells the power supply that it should be on, mimicking the power button

the amp and sub in all their glory

this puppy punches I tell ya, rarely do I hear bass as powerful in anyone else’s house

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 10, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

take huge risks I say. gently caress everything

yeah it looks like even Native wants you to do so

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/komplete-audio-1-quickstart/making-connections/

e: I also read somewhere that connecting a synth into a mic input with phantom power on can damage the synth output, so even more reason to no use jack to XLR mic cables

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 10, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

whoops not soldered, just all the 12v cables stripped and twisted together and electric taped. I used two different colours for safety

I did this to my moms car in high school.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

e: I also read somewhere that connecting a synth into a mic input with phantom power on can damage the synth output, so even more reason to no use jack to XLR mic cables

this is why every keyboardist should have a DI box or two, in case you ever wanna play out or at a jam and have to plug into someone else's mixer, even a cheap one will do

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Been digging stereo effects lately. I really like the travelling electronic hat. Also vocoders just rule in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXNO3gy7bk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pillow Face posted:

this is why every keyboardist should have a DI box or two, in case you ever wanna play out or at a jam and have to plug into someone else's mixer, even a cheap one will do

what’s the purpose of these? I thought it was for “balancing” or something but does it also protect you from loving up your poo poo

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

echinopsis posted:

what’s the purpose of these? I thought it was for “balancing” or something but does it also protect you from loving up your poo poo

Yeah most (all?) DIs have a transformer in them that effectively "breaks" the continuity of the signal path, at least as far phantom voltage is concerned, so it'll protect against it for any gear that may not have a transformer in its output stage. It's probably not strictly necessary for a lot of modern keyboards/synths since a lot of manufacturers have some sort of protection circuit to prevent against exactly that situation, but there's really know way of knowing most of the time without digging into the schematics, so it's good to play it safe.

DIs do also match impedance (less important for modern mixers, but still useful) and usually also adapt from an unbalanced signal to a balanced signal. They're useful things to have all around if you're ever plugging your gear into a system you don't know/trust (or operated by an engineer you don't know/trust)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what does balances refer to in? like DC offset?

I still struggle to get my head around impedence and the implications

for example that amp I posted before can run down to 2 ohms I believe, requiring the two voice coils to be wired in parallel

I get that impedence is the AC equivalent of resistance (or similar) but I don’t get why some speakers have real high impedences. not that i’m asking for help on this regard just thinking out loud about my inadequacies