Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Palpek posted:

It would be cool if they made additional more down-to-earth outfits for each character so that players are given a choice if they want to hang out with fantasy pin up girls or have them look more believeable. I get it that those are extra free costumes, sex sells and CD Projekt is probably producing what 90% of the playerbase actually wants but then some variety for people who enjoy the realistic, believable setting more would be nice.

Hell, given how sorceresses are depicted in the game their outfits are at least in the theme but Ciri who is basically a female Witcher deserves something better than a boob-chainmail.

Triss' new outfit is the worst, at least Yennifer's is only bad below the waist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Palpek posted:

It's too bad they didn't go for this one:

Still, it's free so cool, whatever but I don't think I'll be using it.

i really want to know what their issue with belly armor is lol

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Palpek posted:

Here's another concept art piece with different looks:

Not really a fan of the hood but the others are pretty good

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Palpek posted:

It's too bad they didn't go for this one:

Still, it's free so cool, whatever but I don't think I'll be using it.

That one's a bit much. Sure it's cool until you think about how to put it on. It looks like:

first, put on pants and shirt
second, pull hauberk over head (tricky and annoying to do alone)
third, button up leather shirt/skort onesy
fourth, buckle on breastplate
fifth, buckle on that leather gorget thing (at least the artist made it clear that it splits and buckles in front otherwise it would be impossible to put on by yourself/at all)
sixth, somehow attach the shoulders (maybe they're connected to the leather gorget?)
seventh, squeeze your left hand through the solid steel bracer
eighth, buckle on leather armguard/glove
ninth, put on your belt and you're ready for a fight!

It looks like good protection but it would be time-consuming and annoying to put on and monstrously hot in summer. It's the kind of thing that you'd put on for a fight but not want to wear everywhere. The one where she has basically some leather clothes and a chain shirt looks more like something Ciri would wear on a regular basis.

Geralt's mastercrafted bear armor is really similar but it's not actually a hauberk, it's this weird hybrid thing that buckles on instead of going over your head. Even then, getting into half-plate with thick quilting in summer is a questionable everyday outerwear choice.

The Cat and Wolf armors are like the opposite end of the spectrum in that regard. Cat armor: pull on pants and boots, chain shirt goes over head, buckle on leather vest, put on gloves, out the door.

Wolf armor: put on pants, boots, shirt, jacket, gloves, done.

The chiankini top is a bit too far in the other direction! Honestly, Ciri's default outfit that's just traveling clothes is pretty good and realistic even if it offers no protection.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
My beef with that one in a nutshell. Number 6 would be my choice, it's fast to put on and offers good protection for how much it covers.

Cat and Wolf: Let Gaelan go. Whole village is a bit much, but earldorman did try to shank him there and then in addition to basically not paying at all. Afterwards, I get to find out Cat's another dead school with every known Witcher getting a bounty. Flying off the handle is reasonable there, but Geralt implies it was not the first time so there's that for devil's advocate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That one is far and away the best looking armor for Ciri that I've seen and I don't see why anything else matters

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

ZearothK posted:

What level is it and where can you find it?

23 I think? And its on the notice board in Oreton.

As to the Ciri's alternate look, guess I have another DLC to turn off, not that big of a deal.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 1, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Geralt's mastercrafted bear armor is really similar but it's not actually a hauberk, it's this weird hybrid thing that buckles on instead of going over your head. Even then, getting into half-plate with thick quilting in summer is a questionable everyday outerwear choice.

If you wear it around in town it gets commented on, something along the lines of holy poo poo you must be sweating like a dozen pigs in that thing, you'll probably kill people with the stench when you take it off.

Geek Icon
May 8, 2006
Hello.
Guys I really like this game. I like it so much I'm playing through it twice and then I will also play it again for a third time next year.

After I finished playing it the first time I looked at my games list and the Steam store page and I didn't know what to do. So I started playing this great game again.

This time I will do everything and also get the best ending possible.

Thank you.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

To every idiot still complaining about 'high heeled' boots on Ciri

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=european+riding+boots

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Arglebargle III posted:

That one's a bit much. Sure it's cool until you think about how to put it on. It looks like:

first, put on pants and shirt
second, pull hauberk over head (tricky and annoying to do alone)
third, button up leather shirt/skort onesy
fourth, buckle on breastplate
fifth, buckle on that leather gorget thing (at least the artist made it clear that it splits and buckles in front otherwise it would be impossible to put on by yourself/at all)
sixth, somehow attach the shoulders (maybe they're connected to the leather gorget?)
seventh, squeeze your left hand through the solid steel bracer
eighth, buckle on leather armguard/glove
ninth, put on your belt and you're ready for a fight!

i don't know what most of those words mean but armor can be changed on the inventory screen at the press of a button, hope that solves your problem

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

420 Gank Mid posted:

To every idiot still complaining about 'high heeled' boots on Ciri

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=european+riding+boots

come on bro

between the 'to every idiot' and the 'let me google that for you' you come off like angry MRA nerd.

it's okay, Witcher 3 is an excellent game but at the same time it is pretty lol how sexed up the female characters are between the high heels and the necklines plunging down to the waist and the over the top make up

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 1, 2015

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
How do you get free DLC on steam? Do i need to buy the expansion pass? Also is the expansion pass worth it?

edit: Nevermind I figured it out.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Nah the free stuff is free, just go to the DLC page and add them

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

come on bro

between the 'to every idiot' and the 'let me google that for you' you come off like angry MRA nerd.

it's okay, Witcher 3 is an excellent game but at the same time it is pretty lol how sexed up the female characters are between the high heels and the necklines plunging down to the waist and the over the top make up

MRA = Mare Riding Association?

Because I know how helpful a 2-3 inch heel is for staying in the saddle?

Please stop getting upset at things you don't understand.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I know I am kinda late to the party, but goddamn, Whirl + right pick of potions and decoctions really means you are invulnerable, unstoppable dervish of death.

What is maximum toxicity bonus from acquired tolerance?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

420 Gank Mid posted:

MRA = Mare Riding Association?

Because I know how helpful a 2-3 inch heel is for staying in the saddle?

Please stop getting upset at things you don't understand.

Because a) you jumped into a friendly thread about a good game with some sort of accusatory bullshit about how we're all bitching about the female clothing (and lmgtfy is passive aggressive as gently caress anyway) and b) because your stupid google term's image link shows exactly zero images of a European Riding Boot with a heel that loving long. Her heel is obviously more than 2-3 inches long in the game as it is clearly longer than my dick.

I mean look; a site that sells riding poo poo: http://www.ariat.com/women-english-footwear-tall_riding

are any of those heels that long? No.

The Poles like sexing up their virtual women, get over it. And yeah keeping your heels down in the stirrup is good and a slight couple inch heel would help but I seriously doubt you ride horses. In fact you probably just saw a Reddit post about Ciri's heel and came to SA to triumphantly declare us assholes.

and fwiw the heel down has nothing to do with you staying in the saddle and everything to do with your foot getting out of the stirrup if you fall.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 1, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Xarn posted:

What is maximum toxicity bonus from acquired tolerance?

Somewhere around 220 I think. Lets you run 2 Decocs + combat potions if you also have the overdose threshold skill, it's great. Alchemy tree should be splashed into at a minimum, with just 13 points it's wonderful.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Moridin920 posted:

Because a) you jumped into a friendly thread about a good game with some sort of accusatory bullshit about how we're all bitching about the female clothing (and lmgtfy is passive aggressive as gently caress anyway)

Just trim the fat on this one and baby, you've got yourself a stew!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Poles also love and are knowledgeable about cavalry and equestrianism, unlike the people who complain about what shoes video game characters wear.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

420 Gank Mid posted:

Poles also love and are knowledgeable about cavalry and equestrianism, unlike the people who complain about what shoes video game characters wear.

Dude no one was complaining until you came in here and called us idiots. :shrug:

I like how you just totally ignored the fact that there is no real riding boot with that big of a heel on it.

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
I wanted to get alchemy skills, but quen shield restoring vitality plus being able to cast signs from adrenaline are so much easier to play with.
Does alchemy actually compete with that?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Melted_Igloo posted:

I wanted to get alchemy skills, but quen shield restoring vitality plus being able to cast signs from adrenaline are so much easier to play with.

Dunno but my alchemy build was pretty fun. Especially when you start instantly getting like 20-25% of your vitality back per potion no matter what the potion is and you can deal with a bunch of toxicity.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Melted_Igloo posted:

I went swords + splashed alchemy and was very happy, yes. Keep in mind the top tier sword skill makes you a master spell caster if your adrenaline is full...I liked being able to do everything pretty well and have an answer for every situation. There's no real wrong way to build out your Witcher, do whatever makes you happy.

I do think Alchemy's the best to splash into, it's got 2 gamechangers on the first tier that let you run deconcoctions full-time if you want. Those are pretty much locked out to you otherwise.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't like quen vitality restore. You have to stand around doing nothing waiting to get hit, while with any other build you just kill the thing instead. I think quen is pretty bad in this game compared every other sign while it was pretty essential in witcher 2. It's probably my least cast one after aard, which I didn't cast because igni/axii already do the same things.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty bad at dodging so I spam Quen a lot even though I have an alchemy build :downs:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm bad at dodging too, I just always had swallow up. Yrden also makes dodging easier which is nice.

Anyone know if there's a way to have the mousewheel scroll through your signs in witcher 2? I want to play iorveth's path but...ugg not having that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's a sword skill that makes you immune to damage at any point during your dodge animation. Unfortunately the hit will still drop Quen if it's up.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Dude no one was complaining until you came in here and called us idiots. :shrug:

I like how you just totally ignored the fact that there is no real riding boot with that big of a heel on it.

Tell that to my shoe closet.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a sword skill that makes you immune to damage at any point during your dodge animation. Unfortunately the hit will still drop Quen if it's up.

I'm not convinced it even works. Haven't touched the combat tree on my second playthrough and things feel the same in terms of when I dodge and when I'm too late.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I don't have any riding boots in my closet but I'm inclined to agree that getting the vapors over Ciri having heels is a bit silly. Next thing you know they'll be showing ankles.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Was anyone complaining about her shoes in the first place?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kaedric posted:

I don't have any riding boots in my closet but I'm inclined to agree that getting the vapors over Ciri having heels is a bit silly. Next thing you know they'll be showing ankles.
I'd probably bitch more about Ciri's silly midriff armour DLC but it's optional so I guess I have nothing, really.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Manatee Cannon posted:

Was anyone complaining about her shoes in the first place?

Yes, it was mentioned separately by a few goons.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Some people mentioned her heels look a little ridiculous and I don't think that is invalid but it certainly wasn't a big deal. No one is getting vapors over it (:rolleyes:). It's just funny how mad people get when someone points out how ridiculous a female video game character looks.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Tell that to my shoe closet.

This is dumb you're dumb. At least post a picture or give a shoe brand I can look up because as of now you sound like a pissed off x420xheadshotx kid mad about girls playing videogames.

Okay MAYBE those boots are actually historically accurate boots a noble girl would wear riding (not that anyone has shown me a picture of a riding boot with that big of a heel on it) but combined with the over the top make up and the plunging necklines I'm pretty sure they just wanted to have heels on a female character.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 1, 2015

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't like quen vitality restore. You have to stand around doing nothing waiting to get hit, while with any other build you just kill the thing instead. I think quen is pretty bad in this game compared every other sign while it was pretty essential in witcher 2. It's probably my least cast one after aard, which I didn't cast because igni/axii already do the same things.

That's kind of funny because I was almost exclusively using Quen and Aard by the end of the game. Playing a light armor melee build, a couple intensity runes turned Aard into an AE instant kill sign against humanoids, and against non-wraith bosses Quen was always my go to sign.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

420 Gank Mid posted:

So why doesn't Geralt wear riding boots even though he rides horses a thousand times more often than Ciri does?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Varam posted:

So why doesn't Geralt wear riding boots even though he rides horses a thousand times more often than Ciri does?

That's a much better question

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

420 Gank Mid posted:

That's a much better question

Which you won't answer.

gently caress off already we're trying to talk about alchemy and signs go get probated in the Gamergate or Tumblr thread again or something. You've obviously got an axe to grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

GuyUpNorth posted:

That chainmail top really doesn't look Ciri at all. How many lightly armoured ones were there on the concept art to pick?

One of the things I liked about W2 was the more medieval looking armor, a chain shirt over some padded tunic, ringed leather, etc. (Though they couldn't risk no cleavage on Saskia.) W3 has much more fantasy-esque armor.

Also, I haven't bothered to use decoctions yet, but my Geralt is only level 8.

One fun thing I do in these games is just wander around. One bit of poking netted my Geralt a great pair of Relic boots (yes, riding boots! :psyboom:) and I stumbled into some abandonded shack that turned into a notice board quest that I didn't know existed and got my Geralt a much better silver sword than the one he was using.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 1, 2015