Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

GSD posted:

ask the pope nicely.

how much does the pope need to like the ottomans to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Please don't post spoilers for the upcoming goon multiplayer game.

The situation outlined was so prophetic I nearly choked there. Better try harder!. Pretty sure we'll be crushed regardless since it's us after all tho

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Drone posted:

Basically the exact same, except I accrued a poo poo ton of loans conquering Leinster (who had English backup). I'm finally solvent again thanks to France and Austria offering me subsidies (which I have never, ever, EVER seen the AI do, and it owns), but I can't really sustain anymore growth until my income gets sorted out.

I can't even finish the conquest of Ireland either.. I'm best buds with Scotland, and they just conquered Ulster for themselves (which is I guess fine, since I don't need that province to form Ireland). England still controls Pale, and meddling Scotland has allied the sole remaining Irish OPM besides that, meaning I can't take them without sacrificing my Scottish friendship.

If I can somehow manage to get Pale from England, then I'll be more likely to ditch the Scots and hope to ally the English instead.

If you're going for Luck of the Irish there's actually no pressing need to form Ireland. Like, ever. Since it's a cultural union of just Ireland and if you're playing Desmond it's quite a downgrade in ideas. Just be patient and wait for Scotland or England to slip up and then start snatching up territory. If you can get France on your side and wait for England to go on some stupid continental adventure then that's your time to shine. Just be careful of France getting a foothold on the island (i.e. don't release Cornwall as a non-vassal or else France will just gobble it up and then Luck of the Irish suddenly gets real hard mode on you).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the One Faith achievement is doable as Castile, it's 1500 and I've got Portugal, Aragon, Naples under a PU, a Trastemara on the Burgundian throne, a good alliance with Austria and France is a two province minor.
Looks like I should be able to move against the Ottomans now and carve out Byzantium, which will get me that much closer to Rome as well.

One thing, is the AI trolling me or why does a lesser partner Portugal never pick up Exploration ideas? All my 3 PU partners went Influence first.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Austria, stop trying to conquer the entire boot and end the war so I can eat some minors while everyone is licking his wounds, dammit :(

Can I feed any province I want to a vassal, or do I have to use neighbouring provinces? Also do I get the AE for it?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can feed any province that your vassal could make into a core, and you still get AE for it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

When you get a PU with a large nation like Hungary, is it worth it to integrate or just keep it as a PU you'll never inherit?

Playing as Spain, got a Habsburg on my throne thanks to Austria, now I'm overlord of their big neighbour.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

nimby posted:

When you get a PU with a large nation like Hungary, is it worth it to integrate or just keep it as a PU you'll never inherit?

Playing as Spain, got a Habsburg on my throne thanks to Austria, now I'm overlord of their big neighbour.

I think it's generally worth it. Integrating works like annexing a vassal so it is a good value, especially because you're burning DIP points which are the least useful. Disadvantages: you might inherit for free, you no longer have a giant AI buddy to fight boring wars for you, and you can forget about pretty borders.

:q:

Overall though I don't think there's any great reason to keep PU subjects independent, though I could be overlooking something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know what's weirder, Austria getting Muscovy for free or Shirvan going buckwild in the Caucasus.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Drone posted:

Basically the exact same, except I accrued a poo poo ton of loans conquering Leinster (who had English backup). I'm finally solvent again thanks to France and Austria offering me subsidies (which I have never, ever, EVER seen the AI do, and it owns), but I can't really sustain anymore growth until my income gets sorted out.

I can't even finish the conquest of Ireland either.. I'm best buds with Scotland, and they just conquered Ulster for themselves (which is I guess fine, since I don't need that province to form Ireland). England still controls Pale, and meddling Scotland has allied the sole remaining Irish OPM besides that, meaning I can't take them without sacrificing my Scottish friendship.

If I can somehow manage to get Pale from England, then I'll be more likely to ditch the Scots and hope to ally the English instead.

The AI has always given subsidies to small powers fighting their rivals, what's new is small powers sending gifts as well.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PittTheElder posted:

The AI has always given subsidies to small powers fighting their rivals, what's new is small powers sending gifts as well.

That explains the 55 ducat gift Brittany gave me in my last war. Neato!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thanqol posted:

get more wifes

Don't do this unless your legitimacy is literally zero. It takes decades to break even on the cost of a royal marriage.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Eej posted:

I don't know what's weirder, Austria getting Muscovy for free or Shirvan going buckwild in the Caucasus.

Polish Provence is pretty weird too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

verbal enema posted:

how do i raise legitimacy faster
You dont. The mechanic is an old archaic relic of EU3 that desperately needs to get fixed.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I was surprised, but pleased, to see a Scottish conquistador wandering through my lands in my current Aztec game. "Good!", though I. "A weak colonizer, perfect to westernize off!"

Again I was surprised when I found their small Venezuelan colony was the closest one to me, but again, pleased.

Then it turned red.

Screenshot from after I westernized, about fifty years later:

Other features of this game include Orissa forming Bharat, and the Livonian Order forming Kurland and then immediately being conquered by Riga (!). Also the France situation, of course.

What the hell, AI.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

As seems to be the case with Paradox games, I have no idea how to play this. I'm moderately OK at CKII, and I was wondering if there are any tutorial LPs for this game like the CKII tutorial LP thread? Or is there some better way to learn this game coming from CKII?

I feel like I probably missed something in the OP about this.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

YouTube lper quill18 recently did a tutorial for absolute beginners that's pretty helpful. It doesn't use any of the DLC so it doesn't teach you absolutely everything, but it's still a good baseline of knowledge to get you started, I think.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

I'm getting EU3 flashbacks.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I was surprised, but pleased, to see a Scottish conquistador wandering through my lands in my current Aztec game. "Good!", though I. "A weak colonizer, perfect to westernize off!"

Again I was surprised when I found their small Venezuelan colony was the closest one to me, but again, pleased.

Then it turned red.

Screenshot from after I westernized, about fifty years later:

Other features of this game include Orissa forming Bharat, and the Livonian Order forming Kurland and then immediately being conquered by Riga (!). Also the France situation, of course.

What the hell, AI.

I think Castile has been weakened massively by the latest patch. I have three games on the go where it's been eaten by France/Morocco/Leon(!) by the early sixteenth century since the latest patch. Kildare always seems to gobble up most of Ireland too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to cheat myself plutocratic ideas as a monarchy? Or aristocratic as a merchant republic?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bishop Rodan posted:

I'm getting EU3 flashbacks.

That's a really bad map texture imho.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Poil posted:

Is there a way to cheat myself plutocratic ideas as a monarchy? Or aristocratic as a merchant republic?

You mean without cheating? You can pick the idea groups that allow you to switch government form. And as a republic you can just let your republican tradition tank. So pick the idea groups you need and switch gov form.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
if you actually meant cheating though, add_idea_group plutocratic_ideas iirc

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think Castile has been weakened massively by the latest patch. I have three games on the go where it's been eaten by France/Morocco/Leon(!) by the early sixteenth century since the latest patch. Kildare always seems to gobble up most of Ireland too.

Yeah, definitely a weak patch for castile. i also see poland get devoured by their neighbors (esp. hungary (!)) in more games than not, though they're doing well enough in this aztec game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

YF-23 posted:

You mean without cheating? You can pick the idea groups that allow you to switch government form. And as a republic you can just let your republican tradition tank. So pick the idea groups you need and switch gov form.
No I meant by cheating. Cheating like a lunatic.

Koramei posted:

if you actually meant cheating though, add_idea_group plutocratic_ideas iirc
Great, thanks. That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, definitely a weak patch for castile. i also see poland get devoured by their neighbors (esp. hungary (!)) in more games than not, though they're doing well enough in this aztec game.

I feel like Castile has been consistently weak throughout most of EUIVs lifecycle. They seem to flop and fail to do well more then any of the other majors. That's just my anecdotal experience, though so YMMV.

I'm actually curious if Paradox can or does pull AI performance metrics from player's games. Like, I know they can see what tags people are playing, are they able to pull stats like score/total development for all the AI tags and throw that into a huge master list?

I think it would be fun for future titles to have online score boards for that stuff the way XCOM 2 has them for XCOM operatives killed, aliens killed, most dangerous alien, etc.

Cumulative stats for all ironman games:
Player Ducats earned
Soldiers killed
Soldiers lost to attrition
Ships sunk
Average development gained per year
Province most likely to be owned by a player (Rome?)
Province least likely to be owned by a player (Some Pacific island? Something up in Wyoming/Canada?)
Development built
Development burned by mongols
etc
etc
etc

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
seeing spain form is a rarity for me, which is a shame cause theyre good against france

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Unless Castile gets very lucky in avoiding wars or the Iberian Wedding fires early, they almost always get demolished by France and/or Aragon. I think this partly has to do with early military techs as well as Castile being smaller/weaker than either of those neighbors. Castile starts with a terrible monarch and heir, similarly Poland starts with a low-MIL monarch and is working against a small tech penalty.

There are so many Tactics upgrades in the first few Mil techs that if you fall behind one or two due to lovely monarchs you will get rolled easily.

I was messing around with a Bohemia start last night and it was painful to watch ally Poland/Lithuania try and fight the TO + Hungary with 4 Mil tech versus P/L's 3. Guys, no, don't do it :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A few issues with trying to cheat in plutocratic ideas:

1. The correct console command is add_idea_group plutocratic_ideas.
2. The game adds 6 free points in the group for no reason.
3. It is impossible to get rid of those points?
4. Save files are encrypted so you can't edit them anymore. I am an idiot.

Welp. :(

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 12, 2016

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Poil posted:

A few issues with trying to cheat in plutocratic ideas:

1. The correct console command is add_idea_group plutocratic_ideas.
2. The game adds 6 free points in the group for no reason.
3. It is impossible to get rid of those points?
4. Save files are encrypted so you can't edit them anymore.

Welp. :(

They're not encrypted, they're zipped.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

kojei posted:

They're not encrypted, they're zipped.
That explains it, thanks. :downs:

edit

I got it working. Rename the file to .zip, unpack and fiddle around and then just zip it back up and rename to .eu4.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 12, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My current Tabarestan Shahanshah + This Is Persia run is going to run out of time I think.

I got 8 years left on my truce with the Ottomans (Bohtan is my vassal) so that leaves me with about 60 years to finish off Egypt + Anatolia and somehow fight through gigantic Poland to grab all of Greece. I basically got bogged down real early on when the Ottomans attacked me right after I allied Bohemia a little after 1500 and when I grabbed a ton of land in the defensive war, Poland came along and sniped Constantinople and just remained huge and allied to Bohemia for like another 100 years.

I might give it another go with an easier start. QQ is considered to be the strongest start to form Persia and kick the Ottomans in the nuts, right?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Eej posted:

My current Tabarestan Shahanshah + This Is Persia run is going to run out of time I think.

I got 8 years left on my truce with the Ottomans (Bohtan is my vassal) so that leaves me with about 60 years to finish off Egypt + Anatolia and somehow fight through gigantic Poland to grab all of Greece. I basically got bogged down real early on when the Ottomans attacked me right after I allied Bohemia a little after 1500 and when I grabbed a ton of land in the defensive war, Poland came along and sniped Constantinople and just remained huge and allied to Bohemia for like another 100 years.

I might give it another go with an easier start. QQ is considered to be the strongest start to form Persia and kick the Ottomans in the nuts, right?

that looks perfectly doable, if you've been keeping up with admin efficiency, and if you fight Poland while your truce with the Ottomans is ticking and vice-versa. don't forget: at the end of the game, it's okay to truce break!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Pellisworth posted:

Unless Castile gets very lucky in avoiding wars or the Iberian Wedding fires early, they almost always get demolished by France and/or Aragon. I think this partly has to do with early military techs as well as Castile being smaller/weaker than either of those neighbors. Castile starts with a terrible monarch and heir, similarly Poland starts with a low-MIL monarch and is working against a small tech penalty.

There are so many Tactics upgrades in the first few Mil techs that if you fall behind one or two due to lovely monarchs you will get rolled easily.

I was messing around with a Bohemia start last night and it was painful to watch ally Poland/Lithuania try and fight the TO + Hungary with 4 Mil tech versus P/L's 3. Guys, no, don't do it :smith:

France also likes to hit Aragon early, which is bad for a Castille trying to become Spain and worse if Castille and France are allied. Losing big to France also makes it more likely that Naples breaks free, then that makes Aragon weaker and attracts France for another bite.

Early Iberian Wedding and/or heading off the French attack on Aragon is a must for Castille, but sucking up to France is often a good early move, too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
These are good to know. When I finish my Ottoman game I'm going to try and form Spain.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Going to be my last game of EU for a good while, I think. Never fought so much in a save :shepface:

Omega-Brandenburg was a sweet endgame boss. I completely went to the wall against them, having to fight them for EIGHT YEARS with them having no manpower after three extremely horrible battles and gently caress lucky bonuses + OP prussian übermensch. Once I managed properly my doomstacks and had a couple of gotcha moments, it was all down to attrition. Then I remembered I could a 100k merc force and things decidedly improved.

Low Countries is a client state I created to unite that region (couldn't get a nice vassal out of there), I released Algiers and made it my vassal once I shot down Tunis for being an insufferable annoyance (and managed to blob and prop them too), Navarra was a solid ally the whole game so I made them a march and the blue in Germany was my victor spoils by creating a little republic called Rheinland-Westfalen, whose motto is "gently caress brandenburg".

Also, the most interesting thing that happened in this game is that Burgundy hosed off to Africa. They colonized and conquered the French provinces once the UK and myself were done with it, then Burgundy rivaled me and I went to town with them. Once they were down to one province, they promptly changed capital.

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 13, 2016

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

FadingChord posted:

France also likes to hit Aragon early, which is bad for a Castille trying to become Spain and worse if Castille and France are allied. Losing big to France also makes it more likely that Naples breaks free, then that makes Aragon weaker and attracts France for another bite.

Early Iberian Wedding and/or heading off the French attack on Aragon is a must for Castille, but sucking up to France is often a good early move, too.

The game I'm playing now (Muscovy->Russia) has seen France so dominate the Iberian peninsula that Castile doesn't have any colonies, and it's the 18th century. They've also flipped to Sunni somehow. I only found this out after I allied the plucky little guys and fought a massive war against France, Savoy, and Austria (plus a bunch of pissant vassals) to protect them. Went to do a royal marriage and couldn't, because hey, different religion group.

I'm going to see how far I can boost them before the end of the game. They got all of Castile proper back in the first war, then picked up parts of Aragon in the second. I wonder if I can get a Muslim Spain to form out of this.

Edit: Forgot to mention: Scotland has pretty much broken England in this game. Is anybody seeing that happen regularly? I've only got a sample size of one. Did Scotland get a boost?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PleasingFungus posted:

that looks perfectly doable, if you've been keeping up with admin efficiency, and if you fight Poland while your truce with the Ottomans is ticking and vice-versa. don't forget: at the end of the game, it's okay to truce break!

Well I gave it a go but my second war with Poland fell apart cause I got bottlenecked at Constantinople and Bohemia got ganged up on by Poland + Spain. Ah well, at least I got one cheevo!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think the biggest problem is that France prioritises expanding into Iberia rather than kicking England off the continent in the early game, which doesn't give Castile a chance to shore up its defences.

I haven't seen Scotland beat England that much, if anything England seems stronger. With Castile's issues, it's becoming the big colonial power in the new world very early on for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Eej posted:

You have being tribal / nomadic to contend with but most of the other good starts in the area have the same problem, Delhi no longer has an easy path to being Persian culture group, and nomad ideas are really good, so you're probably OK.

• Locked thread