Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I think it might be an orbital assault

one that rolled poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
I haven’t paid much attention to the Sanctic Daemonology discipline until just recently. Vortex looks like an S tier warcrimes power.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ghazk posted:

I haven’t paid much attention to the Sanctic Daemonology discipline until just recently. Vortex looks like an S tier warcrimes power.

Only mitigated slightly by the easier perils. gently caress with the warp erryday.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Take a level 2 esoterist and laugh as he gets sucked into the warp.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
2 bonded level 2 esoterists for maximum warpcrimes

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ghazk posted:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghazk posted:

Laugh as both esoterists are dragged into the warp simultaneously. :pcgaming:

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Had a great game with Zasze's beautiful Solar Auxilia last night. My only regret is not getting enough pictures, I got caught up in the action.

2500 points, Dominion scenario (5 objectives that score every turn, Slay the Warlord and Attrition worth D3 VPs)

I was running Alpha Legion's Coil of the Hydra with musical guests, the Gal Vorbak.

The Solar Aux had 2 Leman Russ squadrons, 2 Dracosians full of troops, and a few infantry squads with quad mortar support.

The Alpha Legion infiltrated onto 3 objectives to start and managed to pull to an early lead by keeping the Aux contained mostly to their deployment zone for the first half of the game. By the end of the last turn, it was 9 to 6, but the Aux scored 1 point each for slay the warlord and attrition. Finally, the Alpha Legion's martial hubris handed an additional point to the Aux to tie it 9 to 9.

Highlights include the AL Saboteur coming in from reserves on turn 2, inflicting a auto pen on the Lord Marshal's Dracosian and getting an explodes result on the damage table. Signal corruption must have been working overtime because the Tank Commander's Vanquisher missed 4 shots in a row, and one of the volkite Leman Russ tanks missed all 5 volkite shots 2 turns in a row. The Gal Vorbak failed every reserve roll, and finally came in so late that they were a non-factor.

The Sicaran Omega seems bad on paper, but it is growing on me. I find that as long as you have the long table edge, it works pretty well to hold it in reserve. It's fast enough to threaten most of the table the turn it comes in and guarantees at least one turn of shooting. It also doesn't need to stay still to maximize its effectiveness, unlike some of the other configurations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Blood-Angels-Contemptor-Incaendius-Dreadnought-2019?_requestid=4722265

:eyepop: :magical: :homebrew:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Worse than the new 40k powerloader dread.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

TTerrible posted:

Look at this man who hates fun :colbert:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

I agree, your post is pretty bad.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

:ironicat:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ijyt posted:

:ironicat:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Good execution on a godawful idea.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Felt like posting about 3000 points worth of Mechanicum.
the Tech-priest Dominus to the top left is the very first scion of mars i painted. i feel i've advanced slightly since!

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Frobbe posted:

the Tech-priest Dominus to the top left is the very first scion of mars i painted. i feel i've advanced slightly since!

Your mechanicum army cane together amazingly dude, that horde of thallax looks scary.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Frobbe posted:

I forget how few models are in a 3000 point mech army. They look awesome and look forward to seeing them at LVO!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
*I know this got posted about like 3 pages ago, but since it didn’t specifically apply to me, I’m going to ask the same question again.

I recently came up on an unopened Betrayal at Calth, and enough bits to make most of another (about 50 marines, all said). I paid well below what they would have even gone for when they were regularly stocked.

Because of this fortunate windfall, I’ve had half a mind to put together some 30k mans. I used to know a huge cheater that made Hixson call him “wardaddy” or “power siege top” or some such and I hear he still plays games with templates. It’d be nice to watch him regularly fail 5” charges again.

I’m having some selection paralysis in how to proceed with this, the baddest of ideas. Here’s the basics:

1. I could go with Thousand Sons. I’ve got a fair few Thousand Sons models because of my 40k tzeentch chaos army, and I managed to pick up the TS contemptors and terminator praetor and BoP Ahriman figures a while back. They’re my favorite in 40k, but the 30k mans won’t jive well as dual propose use for my 40k stuff.

I also have a little bunch of 30k Emperor’s Children in a box somewhere, it wasn’t much, maybe a squad and another resin unit I can’t recall, but they can’t really dual-purpose well either.

I’ve had a wild idea of picking up some dark angels bits and making a passable little force of First Legion mans who could pass for Fallen in 40k. I could use them in my CSM stuff, and they’d be markedly different from my other CSM, and I’d paint them black. I also love that new DA Praetor and legion Leviathan that FW just dropped. Those a big pulls towards that direction for me.

My big centerpiece want is a Land Raider Achilles because it’s ridiculous and I love it.

So the question is: should I go with TS, or DA (or are EC like hidden gems that I shouldn’t pass up on) and which of those three would make use of the Achilles versus which would I hate myself for bringing it with?

-or is dead game not worth starting at this point and I should sell the 30k stuff for way above what I bought them for?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

koreban posted:

So the question is: should I go with TS, or DA (or are EC like hidden gems that I shouldn’t pass up on) and which of those three would make use of the Achilles versus which would I hate myself for bringing it with?

-or is dead game not worth starting at this point and I should sell the 30k stuff for way above what I bought them for?

Dark angels have some of the best models, are getting their big book rules soon and are pretty strong already, so I think you should play them.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Hixson and co really like the Thousand Sons unique terminator unit, the Sekmet Terminators. In fact, there’s a rite of war where you can take nothing but Sekmet if you want. You should certainly check that out too.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

koreban posted:

It's honestly a decent time to get into heresy this year has seen releases come back from infinite custodes releases back to legion units.

Book 8 dropped and it's probably my favorite book for shaking up the rules since book 6.

Adds some amazing demon rules that are sorta ala carte build your own theme and force if you have any interest in pyskers or demon allies I'd give it a look over.

New consuls and anti demon / psyker wargear including things like a talking servo skull that can either auto cast a power or explode and alot more frankly just weird poo poo.

We look to be getting a yearly big faq like 40k to smooth out weirdness in the rules, with the one that dropped last year actually being a really solid balance pass.

Things are not all roses the loss of the starter boxes really sucks and the release schedule has become basically impossible to predict due to some really lovely low effort pr from forge world.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

koreban posted:

*I know this got posted about like 3 pages ago, but since it didn’t specifically apply to me, I’m going to ask the same question again.

I recently came up on an unopened Betrayal at Calth, and enough bits to make most of another (about 50 marines, all said). I paid well below what they would have even gone for when they were regularly stocked.

Because of this fortunate windfall, I’ve had half a mind to put together some 30k mans. I used to know a huge cheater that made Hixson call him “wardaddy” or “power siege top” or some such and I hear he still plays games with templates. It’d be nice to watch him regularly fail 5” charges again.

I’m having some selection paralysis in how to proceed with this, the baddest of ideas. Here’s the basics:

1. I could go with Thousand Sons. I’ve got a fair few Thousand Sons models because of my 40k tzeentch chaos army, and I managed to pick up the TS contemptors and terminator praetor and BoP Ahriman figures a while back. They’re my favorite in 40k, but the 30k mans won’t jive well as dual propose use for my 40k stuff.

I also have a little bunch of 30k Emperor’s Children in a box somewhere, it wasn’t much, maybe a squad and another resin unit I can’t recall, but they can’t really dual-purpose well either.

I’ve had a wild idea of picking up some dark angels bits and making a passable little force of First Legion mans who could pass for Fallen in 40k. I could use them in my CSM stuff, and they’d be markedly different from my other CSM, and I’d paint them black. I also love that new DA Praetor and legion Leviathan that FW just dropped. Those a big pulls towards that direction for me.

My big centerpiece want is a Land Raider Achilles because it’s ridiculous and I love it.

The games pretty dead. There isn't much support from Forgeworld; but that seems to be changing. For instance, today they released a Horus Heresy Cup. Fortunately there's a pretty healthy Heresy scene in the PNW specifically. There's a big Facebook group called Northwest 30k, Legions United that's pretty active. Panascope, Stanyer89, Major Spag, and myself get together in Longview pretty frequently. You're welcome to come play or hangout anytime you'd like.

Out of the legions you mentioned. Thousand Sons are easily the most powerful. Sekhmet terminators are very good and giving your IC psychic powers is nuts. Dark Angels are fine. Emperors Children are probably the worst of the bunch but can still step with the right lists.

We mostly play 1000pt Zone Mortalis; which makes getting a new army together pretty manageable

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hixson posted:

The games pretty dead. There isn't much support from Forgeworld; but that seems to be changing. For instance, today they released a Horus Heresy Cup. Fortunately there's a pretty healthy Heresy scene in the PNW specifically. There's a big Facebook group called Northwest 30k, Legions United that's pretty active. Panascope, Stanyer89, Major Spag, and myself get together in Longview pretty frequently. You're welcome to come play or hangout anytime you'd like.

Out of the legions you mentioned. Thousand Sons are easily the most powerful. Sekhmet terminators are very good and giving your IC psychic powers is nuts. Dark Angels are fine. Emperors Children are probably the worst of the bunch but can still step with the right lists.

We mostly play 1000pt Zone Mortalis; which makes getting a new army together pretty manageable

Heh sure kid. Name one time you have ever lost to EC

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

koreban posted:

I used to know a huge cheater that made Hixson call him “wardaddy” or “power siege top” or some such and I hear he still plays games with templates. It’d be nice to watch him regularly fail 5” charges again.

:pusheen:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

koreban posted:

I used to know a huge cheater that made Hixson call him “wardaddy” or “power siege top” or some such and I hear he still plays games with templates. It’d be nice to watch him regularly fail 5” charges again.

:pusheen:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

One more of those and you're off the team

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Heh sure kid. Name one time you have ever lost to EC

I've seen you do it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hixson posted:

One more of those and you're off the team

Sorry coach

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Koreban’s back from the dead to play a dead game...truly the circle is complete.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

General Olloth posted:

I've seen you do it.

:bravo:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Koreban’s back from the dead to play a dead game...truly the circle is complete.

a snake eating its tail, forever

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Heresy lives! New rules! New missions! New content!

copy pasted from a book released in 2012

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's not like the rules needed much updating and it's nice to have an official pdf that isn't from 5th edition.

My zone mortalis deredeo dreams are dead and they forgot about salvo weapons again. :negative:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

Heresy lives! New rules! New missions! New content!

So if I want to build toward a ZM list while I wait for shoulderpads and helmets to arrive, what would be a good start?

Should I even bother with the contemptor?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

koreban posted:

So if I want to build toward a ZM list while I wait for shoulderpads and helmets to arrive, what would be a good start?

Contemptors are very common in 1k ZM lists. You aren't really going to go wrong with one. Dual Kheres or Kheres/Fist? Others are better at this than me.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

koreban posted:

Contemptors are fantastic and a staple of ZM lists.

I ran a list without a contemptor for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was weird.

If it's a plastic calth contemptor then the kheres is very good. You may want to wait and swap the other arm with some resin or source a second kheres. You can also magnetize and handle that later. I find it worth it on dreads.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

koreban posted:

I’ve been meaning to put together a goonhammer article about getting started in ZM but your pan-legion building blocks are essentially:

• tac squads. Generally speaking you’re going to want to make sure they have a close combat weapon, and either spending the extra points or swapping out the bolter for a pistol and a ccw is a fine choice. 10 man squads might get bullied by more elite stuff, but a 15 man squad is a pretty good place to put a character and can swamp a lot of stuff down, especially with an apothecary.

• breachers. They really shine in the ZM rite of war but they’re generally pretty strong. Access to blast weapons, void hardened armor and meltabombs is powerful, but don’t sink a ton of points into them and expect them to be a Death Star- they’re solid but they can definitely get carved up.

• support squads. Flamers and plasma are good. They do a lot of work if you can keep them hidden until they pop into a hall and murder everyone in it.

• vet squads. They’re really efficient and get access to awesome weapons. With a delegatus they can be troops and are a pretty solid all-around choice. If you wanna be That Guy you can give them all combi weapons and delete a squad with plasma or whatever.

• terminators. These guys own in ZM. Cataphractii is definitely worse than Tartaros for most legions because losing the ability to sweep and run is a big hit in a game where everything’s on foot and you only have 5 turns to get around the board. Terminators excel at clomping their way onto an objective and then being a huge PITA to push off it. Don’t put them near guys with plasma.

• box dreads. Plasma cannons and the big flamer cannon thing are excellent and boxy bois are a nice points efficient option.

• contemptor dreads. The classic contemptor isn’t really as good as the cortus but they’re still both good options. Now that leviathans are officially out of ZM the contemptor is the biggest thing most armies will be able to bring out, so whenever you make a list you should think about how you’d handle one. A contemptor Mortis with double kheres cannons has been a popular choice, but I like taking a classic to get access to a dreadnought chainfist, which is a good way to murder other dreads.

Most lists generally include some troops, a dreadnought, some terminators and then a shooty squad like vets, seekers or a support squad, but you can go a lot of different directions. Generally you just need to have a plan for dealing with AV13, 2+ armor, and a big squad. If you can cover those bases you can pretty much do whatever else you want.

Here’s some fun ZM photos to round it out:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

tallkidwithglasses posted:

... If you wanna be That Guy you can give them all combi weapons and delete a squad with plasma or whatever.

You know who I'd be playing against, right?

quote:

Here’s some fun ZM photos to round it out:
You're a peach.

I'm going to get started on squads tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

koreban posted:

You know who I'd be playing against, right?

You're a peach.

I'm going to get started on squads tonight.

In my opinion you give combiplasma to seekers instead of vets for ZM.

When you blow the plasma you have other ammunition types that are also handy. The small blast one gains shred in ZM and the scatter stops when it hits walls, and the heavy one is OK at still chipping wounds on stuff after the plasma is gone or if you need less punch than plasma.

Also they're BS5 and their gimmick of picking an enemy unit to have preferred enemy on comes up much more reliably in the small game size/forces your opponent to make different deployment choices.