Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nofather posted:

Didn't Bendis get started (at Marvel, at least) with the Ultimate Universe?

Yes, but both DC an Bendis himself have to realize that was a flash in the pan moment that didn't have a lot of momentum going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Teasing about undoing marriages, after all the hullabaloo about marriage in comics through all these years, seems specifically laser-targeted on riling up comic readers in a way that isn't really comparable to the usual network TV melodrama. Like you can't possibly believe that all the usual forums haven't already tizzied themselves up in a tizzy over this.

And maybe it's just a rumor, maybe Bleeding Cool is the only one behind it, maybe they aren't, but the technique is very like Bendis all the same; it's absurd to say that it isn't when he has literally already done this to hype the very first Superman books that he's even writing for DC.

Roth posted:

Bendis is simutaneously incompetent and a hack but also the mastermind of many techniques designed to make BrianWilly post rants on the internet
Pretty sure the former is precisely equivocal with the latter!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

The two data points we have here aren't "teasing Superman is a Klan member" or whatever the hell Covok is talking about, it's "DRAMA IN A ROMANTIC COUPLE'S LIFE, WILL THEY HOLD IT TOGETHER" which is the sort of cheap controversy that has been courted by every sitcom and drama forever. Unless Bendis was writing the Office and Friends and Scrubs and Gray's Anatomy and the Honeymooners when they were making GBS threads out cheap controversial storylines to get people riled up. Which I guess is a take, but it's a take that seemingly disqualifies you from being able to enjoy serialized narratives.

Hot scoop: Brian Michael Bendis has traveled back in time to whisper deranged fancies into Mort Weisinger's fragile ear at night so he'll wake up troubled with not-dreams and not-imaginary stories to talk to his analyst about.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nobody official is teasing breaking up marriages. Benidis' DC Nation story was just, "Hey. Where's Lois?"
There was some art from Jason Fabok's MoS issue on somebody's Twitter feed with her, Jon and Oz. I'm thinking for some reason he's trusted to take them on a field trip and they get lost in whatever space warp they go down cause of that new baddie.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 13, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Pretty sure the former is precisely equivocal with the latter!

Keep telling yourself that in your quest to be extremely outraged by everything Bendis does

Edit - Also, yeah, Bendis hasn't teased this at all as far as I know. You're literally just going "Well, even if he didn't do it it's still his fault SO THERE"

Roth fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 13, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I literally said this "This strat right here is just like the stuff Bendis used to do at Marvel" but ok

I can talk more about how much Robinson sucks if you want.

Or we can circle back to Azzarello, try to capture some spark of the good ol' days!

Like which overrated writer have we decided is exempt from my musty swollen rage now

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Compliment a comic :)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I would cheerfully slap a child if it guaranteed more people reading New Super-Man

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Uhh

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

I literally said this "This strat right here is just like the stuff Bendis used to do at Marvel" but ok

Yeah, but this is because of Bleeding cool posting a rumor, not anything DC or Bendis has done.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

nofather posted:

Maybe it'll just be another universe. I know they were talking about an expansion to White Knight.

Whyyyyyyyy that book sucked.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I haven't actually read the comic, but this whole thing sounds like the biggest "freaking out about nothing" I've heard in a long while.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TwoPair posted:

I haven't actually read the comic, but this whole thing sounds like the biggest "freaking out about nothing" I've heard in a long while.

Honestly even if this was all about nothing, I think fans making it clear that they don't want DC to gently caress with the marriage is a good thing just to be sure they don't get any ideas. Or if they do anyway, that they can't say they didn't realize it would be unpopular.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

I would cheerfully slap a child if it guaranteed more people reading New Super-Man

I guess that's technically a complement.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Skwirl posted:

I guess that's technically a complement.

I would perform a ritual killing to preserve new superman it is a very good book and when the league is inevitably killed in some event to show the stakes are REAL I will be very disappointed

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Yeah I have a lot of comics I'd like to be back or more popular, if slapping kids was all it took Batgirl (the real one, with Cassandra Cain) never would have been cancelled and we'd still have WildCATS somewhere.

I imagine everyone's had some series they wish wasn't cancelled.

nofather fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 14, 2018

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I've just started reading Action Comics Special, and on the cover Superman has the Superman Reborn outfit on, and in the story he has his trunks back. It was the same in Action Comics #1000. Is there a story reason given for his switch back yet?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nope.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone says "he's wearing them again."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm super happy about the trunks being back, but I'm trying to think of how you would write a story around it and I just can't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I'm super happy about the trunks being back, but I'm trying to think of how you would write a story around it and I just can't.

Laundry day?

Torn long johns?

Super skid mark?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Super skid mark?

Yikes. I don't even want to think about the power of the poo poo that would cause one of those.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Torn long johns?

Does Superman get cold?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Skwirl posted:

Tom Strong was borrowing them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Dr. Manhattan has them and the end of Doomsday Clock is him and Superman facing off for the trunks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Dr. Manhattan has them and the end of Doomsday Clock is him and Superman facing off for the trunks.

All of Doomsday Clock's mistakes would be forgiven if they meet Dr. Manhattan and the 'camera' pans down to reveal him standing there wearing bright red trunks with a giant poo poo-eating grin on his face.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Doctor Manhattan doesn't wear bottoms, he's like Daffy Duck that way.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Doctor Manhattan doesn't wear bottoms, he's like Daffy Duck that way.

His one appearance in Doomsday Clock so far:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The marriage of Superman and Batman to each other was a watershed moment. I will not stand for this travesty.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

He can make his body into whatever he wants.

Those aren't bottoms.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Posting here cause my Vert thread's pretty dead.

The Sandman comics have artists announced.
https://www.inverse.com/amp/article/44845-sandman-universe-artists-lucifer-dreaming

Bilquis Evely for The Dreaming

Dominike “Domo” Stanton for House of Whispers

Max and Sebastian Fiumara for Lucifer

Tom Fowler for Books of Magic

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

in terms of Doc Manhattan's appearance I only count the film as canon.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/996490809993285632

Truly bizarre. I wonder if other DC folks got fed up with Doomsday Clock having a knock-on effect on their 2019 schedule and convinced them to bring on a fill-in artist.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/996490809993285632

Truly bizarre. I wonder if other DC folks got fed up with Doomsday Clock having a knock-on effect on their 2019 schedule and convinced them to bring on a fill-in artist.

I mean they could just stop with the variant covers that takes up some of Gary Frank's time...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Very puzzling. I wonder if they wised up and brought in more artists. This new CRISIS is supposed to spin directly out of the changes D-C brings.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Replace Gary Frank? Impossible? Who else can capture the human form so perfectly, so long as the human forms in question are all making bizarre reverse-duckface all the time so you can always see all their upper teeth and it's distracting as gently caress because his style is so otherwise naturalistic?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, we're hoping to hasten a Crisis? Take all the time you want, boy-o. Re-delay the issue.

And Gary Frank haters can vacate my thread, thank you!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 15, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gary Frank face haters are free to unite anywhere they so choose! There are dozens of us!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

There are dozens of us!

As many as two!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I'll fight you all.