Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like Bill Cosby might be off limits for comedy these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also Leonard Part 6 is a... "comedy" which are never great to do, despite people understandably not wanting a thing to do with Cosby these days in any fashion.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Takuan posted:

Wasn't the job of "head writer" actually "the guy that sits at the computer and types out all the joke people throw out during writing sessions"?

I think he’s said he was hired to help with the typing, but that was mostly just self-deprecating humor. My understanding is the head writer gig was more like “the guy who actually picks which jokes make it in, and also decides who writes each host segment.”

So his job was definitely more important than just being the typist, but he wasn’t quite the main creative force behind the show in the Joel era either.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, he was a major influence during the Joel years, but Joel was the driving force. The invention exchanges - Joel used to do prop comedy and that's an extension of that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

As much as I enjoyed some of the invention exchanges in the new seasons (and the Joel/early Mike years), they should probably cut back to doing like one or two a season, if that.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

these new episodes really need some AV filtering options so they feel like a show taped in 1993. it’s the proper viewing experience :colbert:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Diabolik900 posted:

I think he’s said he was hired to help with the typing, but that was mostly just self-deprecating humor.

my understanding was that he was literally hired to do that and asked if he could do some of his own jokes. they were so good that he quickly got promoted to head writer

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If there's one change I would make, it would be to shoot the Mads segments at an odder angle.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

my understanding was that he was literally hired to do that and asked if he could do some of his own jokes. they were so good that he quickly got promoted to head writer

What I mean is, I’m pretty sure this story is somewhat exaggerated for comedic effect. He was someone they knew from the comedy scene, not just someone that was hired off the street. Even if his official job description when he was hired was just to type, I don’t think they would hire someone like that and not expect him to contribute comedically, especially considering the “everyone pitches in on everything” way that the original show was produced.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Diabolik900 posted:

What I mean is, I’m pretty sure this story is somewhat exaggerated for comedic effect. He was someone they knew from the comedy scene, not just someone that was hired off the street. Even if his official job description when he was hired was just to type, I don’t think they would hire someone like that and not expect him to contribute comedically, especially considering the “everyone pitches in on everything” way that the original show was produced.

ah, gotcha

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plucked from the fertile fields of TGIF, even.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bicyclops posted:

As much as I enjoyed some of the invention exchanges in the new seasons (and the Joel/early Mike years), they should probably cut back to doing like one or two a season, if that.

:wrong:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Everyone's Miserable on the Internet, Part MMMCMXCIXCCCXLII: The Kickstarter comments are despairing over Joel's apparent lack of communication, after he said he was making a conscious effort not to overwhelm people with messages this time around. They're predicting a complete flameout with more than two weeks to go. Yeesh.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yes, Joel, who literally started a TV show in the 80s, revived it, and organized large tours might not be able to do a TV show again

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This reminded me to actually pledge, I guess I hadn't pushed the button (frank) yet. Good poo poo coming along!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

Everyone's Miserable on the Internet, Part MMMCMXCIXCCCXLII: The Kickstarter comments are despairing over Joel's apparent lack of communication, after he said he was making a conscious effort not to overwhelm people with messages this time around. They're predicting a complete flameout with more than two weeks to go. Yeesh.

The campaign has gotten a lot less online buzz, which is totally understandable for the second time around, but I think that’s caused the Kickstarter commenters to go crazy. Since like the second day there have been people in there upset over how the campaign’s apparently not going well, despite the fact that it’s been way ahead of the last one’s total at the comparable point the entire time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So today Rifftrax released their own pot short ("Keep off the Grass") which weirdly enough also tries to make "blow pot" a thing.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

So today Rifftrax released their own pot short ("Keep off the Grass") which weirdly enough also tries to make "blow pot" a thing.

That kind of thing really lifts my lid.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

The campaign has gotten a lot less online buzz, which is totally understandable for the second time around, but I think that’s caused the Kickstarter commenters to go crazy. Since like the second day there have been people in there upset over how the campaign’s apparently not going well, despite the fact that it’s been way ahead of the last one’s total at the comparable point the entire time.

I saw people freaking out that there was hardly anything on Satellite News, which is hilarious to me because there's been practically nothing about ANYTHING on that site for a long time. It's like a page made entirely of Google Alerts.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah yeah we've all seen The Staircase

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Gavok posted:

I'm going to be doing an interview with Joel this week. Anyone got any questions they want me to ask?

Live around here much?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IUG posted:

[Kickstarter] needs 18,500 backers by Wednesday for Quest of the Delta Knights, and it has 17,112 now.

At 17,649 backers today, I don't think this goal will be met.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

IUG posted:

At 17,649 backers today, I don't think this goal will be met.

Ugh where am I going to get my high definition early career Richard Kind now :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

Ugh where am I going to get my high definition early career Richard Kind now :(

"Yes, I got the role in Mad About You!"

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I know the middle part of the Kickstarter campaign is when things tend to trail off but it really does feel like this one went off a cliff. Even with a surge in its final days, I worry we won't get to $5.5 million. :ohdear:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

"Yes, I got the role in Mad About You!"

Have a seat at the bar and we’ll get a table for you

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Quest of the Delta Knights is such a weird shitshow.

How old is that girl supposed to be anyways? And why is Da Vinci such a creepy perv the whole time?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Ballz posted:

I know the middle part of the Kickstarter campaign is when things tend to trail off but it really does feel like this one went off a cliff. Even with a surge in its final days, I worry we won't get to $5.5 million. :ohdear:

Kicktraqs has this campaign taking in $30,551 yesterday. You do know that the majority of all Kickstarters take in less than that across their entire campaigns, right?

It's quite possible that the majority of people who were going to pledge did so in the first two days. Then again, it's quite possible many of those people will be willing to double their pledge amounts to get the thing to $5.5 million.

For context, the previous MST3K kickstarter had a spike on day 14 and 15 (I presume following a reveal of some sort), but day 12 and 13 were $28,067 and $37,138, so roughly where the current Kickstarter is. It also had under $3 million at this point, even after the day 14 spike in pledges. The last few days were the big push, and I assume the same will be true this time.

The Rifftrax kickstarters show that people are willing to keep funding the shows they want to see; the real question in this case is what kind of additional information we'll be getting over the next few weeks that convinces people that Joel can pull off something more ambitious than what Rifftrax offers with its crowdfunding drives.

TL;DR: you should really just relax.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another Bill posted:

How old is that girl supposed to be anyways? And why is Da Vinci such a creepy perv the whole time?

Also I couldn't really tell, was that movie intentionally supposed to be a comedy?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

At the very least, the campaign should cross the halfway mark sooner or later. That means 6 more episodes and the little Gizmoplex tile on my Roku's home screen. That's a lot more than we had when Netflix pulled the plug.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Narsham posted:

Kicktraqs has this campaign taking in $30,551 yesterday. You do know that the majority of all Kickstarters take in less than that across their entire campaigns, right?

It's quite possible that the majority of people who were going to pledge did so in the first two days. Then again, it's quite possible many of those people will be willing to double their pledge amounts to get the thing to $5.5 million.

For context, the previous MST3K kickstarter had a spike on day 14 and 15 (I presume following a reveal of some sort), but day 12 and 13 were $28,067 and $37,138, so roughly where the current Kickstarter is. It also had under $3 million at this point, even after the day 14 spike in pledges. The last few days were the big push, and I assume the same will be true this time.

The Rifftrax kickstarters show that people are willing to keep funding the shows they want to see; the real question in this case is what kind of additional information we'll be getting over the next few weeks that convinces people that Joel can pull off something more ambitious than what Rifftrax offers with its crowdfunding drives.

TL;DR: you should really just relax.

Also note that the last Kickstarter exceeded the $5.5 million goal by $800,000 when you include add-on rewards, so this campaign can afford to actually finish a good deal lower than last time and still hit the goal.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Another Bill posted:

🎶"I sing of the glorious Delta Knights/They live in Europe somewhere..."🎶

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
MST3K being saved by Kickstarter and then effectively being cancelled by Kickstarter would be the most MST3K ever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Then my parents moved and I was Leonardo de Oxnard for a couple years...

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"...and so that's how I became known as 'Mr. Wiggly'. You?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Larryb posted:

Also I couldn't really tell, was that movie intentionally supposed to be a comedy?

Well, it's one of those "family adventure movies" so yeah, kind of a comedy. There was a lot of direct to VHS movies like Quest of the Delta Knights with its same...comedy(?) and a random recognizable actor with a completely stock plot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

Well, it's one of those "family adventure movies" so yeah, kind of a comedy. There was a lot of direct to VHS movies like Quest of the Delta Knights with its same...comedy(?) and a random recognizable actor with a completely stock plot.

Who was the “random recognizable actor” in Delta Knights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Who was the “random recognizable actor” in Delta Knights?

David Warner.

And David Warner!