Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Assimilators feel really good in the beta patch. With your cyborgs able to grow new pops (they don't require food but do take energy to maintain I believe) your gimmick is being able to expand and grow very rapidly. Cyborgs are unaffected by happiness and get +20% habitability innately so you can colonize most any planet and have both robots building and cyborgs growing at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Libluini posted:

I just stomped the defenders of a Nazi Bird Land planet flat. My AI-Battlemechs and AI-Titans just stomped through their armies in seconds. That'll teach those one-eyed birds to commit genocide!

"That's not a genocide."

*Deploys War Droids*

"That's a genocide."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Do we have numbers on the probability of Shroud events failing, because I want to know how unlucky I was that three highly likely ones in a row blew up in my face :v:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jizz into Darkness posted:

Doesn't defender of the galaxy only appear if a crisis is happening?

No, it appears if a crisis is going to happen. So always, if you've got Crises enabled. Sometimes the reputation boost from it is enough to get people into your alliance. "I've seen the future and it's bad, trust me."

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Sure love fighting the Prethoryn scourge alone while all my fellow Federation members are busy following the fed fleet which isn't moving. :suicide:

If you live long enough this will solve itself.
Alt: Does the term acceptable losses mean anything to you?

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Welp, I'm giving up this game for lost. I had a fleet capable of taking down a single fleet of the Prethoryn Scourge at a time, but I just could not kill fleets faster then they were being made and I couldn't burn down worlds fast enough to destroy them before another fleet would warp in to get killed but in the meantime allow the planet to get back up to full fortifcation. So despite my early gains I'm now in a grinding war of attrition that I'm slowly losing. I probably would have won if the entire rest of the galaxy had managed to put together even a single fleet capable of killing the Scourge, but no dice.

They look so small comparatively :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

"Build Speed" techs effect what exactly? Buildings? Robots? Ships? Megastructures? Spaceport upgrades? All of the above?

Only buildings I'm pretty sure, but I have no evidence to back this up.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Welp, I'm giving up this game for lost. I had a fleet capable of taking down a single fleet of the Prethoryn Scourge at a time, but I just could not kill fleets faster then they were being made and I couldn't burn down worlds fast enough to destroy them before another fleet would warp in to get killed but in the meantime allow the planet to get back up to full fortifcation. So despite my early gains I'm now in a grinding war of attrition that I'm slowly losing. I probably would have won if the entire rest of the galaxy had managed to put together even a single fleet capable of killing the Scourge, but no dice.

They look so small comparatively :(

As I learned earlier in the thread, did you have your fleets set to maximum nuking, not just the policy? Also, 1.8.1 reduces the rate at which worlds repair fortifications - might be worth trying in the beta patch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PittTheElder posted:

Only buildings I'm pretty sure, but I have no evidence to back this up.

It would be cool if the descriptions were a little more explicit. Paradox games are so full of stuff like this. "This special ability increases your income by 10%!" but it actually means it increases your *Income*, a special named percentage that is added to you pre-trade base tax (half if non-core) from provinces but definately not connected to the "income" stat of your pops or the "income" stat for domestic trade, unless you've hired a golden merchant who has an unmentioned special effect that applies your country's income EFFICIENCY stat to your income BONUS coefficient which isn't to be confused with factory bonus efficiency which is of course derived from your industrial tech level but unrelated to the Industry Mana the last DLC added along with a special building that increases your Industry Bonus, which only applies to the previously mentioned new mana and not your factory bonus. Or at least that's how it's supposed to work, we actually just dug into the code and realized half this stuff wasn't being calculated properly for the last 2 years of patches and DLC but the system was so opaque no one noticed.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Can we get fleets to default to maximum bombardment power instead of the minimum?

I'm always going to murder the poo poo out of the filthy Xeno as much as I can and I don't like having to remember to click the button twice.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Much like they gave up on sectors and let us assume manual control, they need to do the same for ally fleets. The AI will never be good enough or not enrage players so just optionally let them ask/give control of fleets.

Don't get me started. I have a fleet of 40k, my ally has a fleet a 30k. The enemy is 70k strong and I know from our first battle I can't take him on my own but quickly rebuild to 40k, and have killed 10k of bad guys. The noble Hive mind Slugs form up on my fleet and we cross the entire sector together. We make the final jump to relieve the siege of Spaceville but as I zoom in to watch the fireworks I realize that only I have made the final jump. I watch, waiting for my allies to arrive, but after a week it becomes all too obvious that isn't going to happen. I zoom out, find their fleet and check out its orders - it's heading for orbit of its homeworld....

Only a fortuitous spawning of two contingency machine worlds in the enemies empire saved me - so the lesson is: Friendly AI = bad, AI intent on exterminating all life = good.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Necroskowitz posted:

"That's not a genocide."

*Deploys War Droids*

"That's a genocide."

That war was so funny. :allears: After some initial successes, my fleets got their mecha-asses handed to them. (I lost four space battles in a row, thanks to the Space Nazi Birds mobilizing their entire 100k space force against my three fleets with ca. 88k total. They got two of my admirals and forced my main fleet into retreat.)

Incredibly, my armies of battlemechs and 40K-titans overran three planets in the time our space fleet spend bravely running away. Together with the efforts of our allies, that was enough to force the SNBs (Space Nazi Birds) into a peace where they had to give up the two planets they had used to send their fleets into my territory during an earlier war.

I then gave those two planets silly names like "Gate of Justice", switched the purge-option from displacement to extermination and started terraforming them to machine worlds. Strangely enough, even my vassals were shocked when their beloved machine overlords ordered the death of billions. But that's just logical, you see? They had to die to equalize the injustice of them murdering billions of my allies' people! (The rest of the galaxy didn't see it our way, by the way.)

Stats of our messed-up galaxy so far:

Galactic War I: Ends with my allies losing nearly all their worlds. The winning SNBs then brutally cleanse their new worlds and replace democracy-loving two-eyed birds with their own evil, one-eyed variety.
Galactic War II: After losing every major battle in space, our ground forces win enough battles to force the SNBs into an ignoble peace. Then we gently caress this up by slaughtering all civilians on our new planets.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just researched robot modification on my first robbit game and I don't have enough trait slots to do so :bang:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Just researched robot modification on my first robbit game and I don't have enough trait slots to do so :bang:

You have to remove your old traits to free up slots. Even with better tech, you'll always only get more points, but the number of trait slots stays the same: 4. That's all you get. (The higher point numbers you can collect over the course of a game just mean that over time you can stop using negative traits to balance out the positive ones.)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

You have to remove your old traits to free up slots. Even with better tech, you'll always only get more points, but the number of trait slots stays the same: 4. That's all you get. (The higher point numbers you can collect over the course of a game just mean that over time you can stop using negative traits to balance out the positive ones.)

I wish you got more slots with the ascension thing. I like my ugly fat robots and dont mind if they stay fat or ugly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I guess some mod isn't playing right but I can't build robots at all: there's two robot types in the selection menu that are greyed out because I don't have AI servitude allowed (but I can't find the policy option), one of them looks like it's missing art or something, and instead I can build my actual race for energy and minerals? And the tooltip for my race is that they're synths?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

I guess some mod isn't playing right but I can't build robots at all: there's two robot types in the selection menu that are greyed out because I don't have AI servitude allowed (but I can't find the policy option), one of them looks like it's missing art or something, and instead I can build my actual race for energy and minerals? And the tooltip for my race is that they're synths?

Woah, now I feel glad I deactivated most of my mods before starting my machine run. But yes, that sounds messed up and not at all like it should be. If you took machine empire, you should be able to build your own "race" since they're only robotic drones, so at least that part works as intended. No idea what's up with the rest, though. :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pellisworth posted:

Assimilators feel really good in the beta patch. With your cyborgs able to grow new pops (they don't require food but do take energy to maintain I believe) your gimmick is being able to expand and grow very rapidly. Cyborgs are unaffected by happiness and get +20% habitability innately so you can colonize most any planet and have both robots building and cyborgs growing at the same time.

Synchronicity 200% NEEDS to be the first Tradition tree you finish as Assimilators btw. For those who do not yet know

Assimilators get a unique building from Synchronicity called a Neuro Electric Amplifier. It is a planet unique, 2 energy/2 minerals with a 15% production boost to both planetwide for cyborgs

Assimilated organics with an Amplifier are legit better than your robots if they have good traits. Adding their biological distinctiveness to your technological superiority is legitimately the path to power.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

what's the goon mod that everyone likes that adds more planet anomalies? I want to add it to my subscribed list to keep an eye on it

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I'm playing Inwards Perfection for the first time and wow is it strong. I'm playing on Very Hard with a race of Adaptable, Rapid Breeders where I rapidly expanded to 10 systems and I'm very nearly keeping pace with the successful warmonger AIs. I've kept afloat and independent by a mix of never being the weakest target available and stalling out attackers with transport fleet sniping.

By 2315 I've just occupied my 7th habitat but my mineral income is getting squeezed under the weight of maintaining all these battleships. I'm struggling to decide whether to drop inwards perfection and federate up, or even vassalize just so I can keep throwing up habitats, or if I should start paving over my planets in mining complexes and rely on the habitats for energy.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Are the two greyed out options the ones for Robot and Android?

Once you Ascend from a biological to a synth, you can no longer build robots or droids, and all existing robots are automatically upgraded along the way from robot-> droid -> synth. They keep their traits, just the type of machine changes

You can also no longer disassemble your robots (now synths) once you are Ascended. My empire did not allow purging pops, or forced resettlement, which made tweaking tiles problematic.

Interestingly, you can still build robot and android armies for cost-effective ground forces, I suppose.

This is my experience as I recall it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

AriadneThread posted:

what's the goon mod that everyone likes that adds more planet anomalies? I want to add it to my subscribed list to keep an eye on it

Guilli's planet modifiers probably, he was posting in the thread for a bit too. It had a couple small flaws (like some of the best stuff rolling on dead worlds) but otherwise it makes planets a lot more interesting.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 27, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Synchronicity 200% NEEDS to be the first Tradition tree you finish as Assimilators btw. For those who do not yet know

Assimilators get a unique building from Synchronicity called a Neuro Electric Amplifier. It is a planet unique, 2 energy/2 minerals with a 15% production boost to both planetwide for cyborgs

Assimilated organics with an Amplifier are legit better than your robots if they have good traits. Adding their biological distinctiveness to your technological superiority is legitimately the path to power.

Discovery with 5 science ships spamming survey is still really good especially since Assimilators aren't actually locked out of diplomacy like Fanatic Purifiers or Devouring Swarm so you aren't at too great of a risk of getting tag teamed by dudes on the other side of the galaxy. Bonus if you ally all the other machines.

Assimilators are feeling really good now. Maybe even... too good? I dunno, it's just a blast being able to play the Borg straight up. It's cool that the synthesis of flesh and machine is mechanically the strongest path for Assimilators and it doesn't feel too bad picking cyborg leaders cause you can just extend their lifespan with gene modding now anyway.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Senethro posted:

I'm playing Inwards Perfection for the first time and wow is it strong. I'm playing on Very Hard with a race of Adaptable, Rapid Breeders where I rapidly expanded to 10 systems and I'm very nearly keeping pace with the successful warmonger AIs. I've kept afloat and independent by a mix of never being the weakest target available and stalling out attackers with transport fleet sniping.

By 2315 I've just occupied my 7th habitat but my mineral income is getting squeezed under the weight of maintaining all these battleships. I'm struggling to decide whether to drop inwards perfection and federate up, or even vassalize just so I can keep throwing up habitats, or if I should start paving over my planets in mining complexes and rely on the habitats for energy.

It depends what worlds you have. Have you taken your third civic yet? Did you take Harmony for the +Happy yet? Do you have Adaptability so your farms are giving you minerals too? How good is your mining tech right now?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah, found it. Had a mod that added new skins to synths, but it wasn't updated to 1.8. Now I can do cool poo poo with robots!

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Bloodly posted:

It depends what worlds you have. Have you taken your third civic yet? Did you take Harmony for the +Happy yet? Do you have Adaptability so your farms are giving you minerals too? How good is your mining tech right now?

All maxed out. Realistically the next big boost to mineral income I'm going to get is to gene mod +15% minerals and conservationist into my species but thats at least 15 years away. Smaller targets nearby include the upkeep traditions in Prosperity and waiting for Mineral Processing II to be a tech choice. I've a single terraforming candidate world waiting for Climate Transformation tech.

It doesn't feel like much to work with but then I look at what it would cost to drop Inwards Perfection: +20% Unity and some growth speed and happiness. Maybe I should embrace the Authoritarian faction and implement caste system.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Mazz posted:

Guilli's planet modifiers probably, he was posting in the thread for a bit too. It had a couple small flaws (like some of the best stuff rolling on dead worlds) but otherwise it makes planets a lot more interesting.

thank you

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Can you get more than 4 biotrophies now? Like do they spread to other planets, or is it statically set as 4?

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Libluini posted:

Do you get the option to turn lesser bonus traits into bigger ones? (e.g. Strong to Very Strong)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Can you get more than 4 biotrophies now? Like do they spread to other planets, or is it statically set as 4?

Eh? There's no 'hard limit' at all.

Bio Trophies can't move from worlds on their own by default. If you want them to grow and you're out of room on the homeworld, you'll have to Resettle them to other places manually. Then you just let time and growth do the rest like normal. The challenge is managing what tiles they grow on as compared to your robo-pops who get you actual resources.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eej posted:

Discovery with 5 science ships spamming survey is still really good especially since Assimilators aren't actually locked out of diplomacy like Fanatic Purifiers or Devouring Swarm so you aren't at too great of a risk of getting tag teamed by dudes on the other side of the galaxy. Bonus if you ally all the other machines.

Assimilators are feeling really good now. Maybe even... too good? I dunno, it's just a blast being able to play the Borg straight up. It's cool that the synthesis of flesh and machine is mechanically the strongest path for Assimilators and it doesn't feel too bad picking cyborg leaders cause you can just extend their lifespan with gene modding now anyway.

I dunno, Assimilators may not be technically locked out of diplomacy but any non machine empire is still gonna hate your guts so bad for being an assimilator it doesn't really matter. :v: That feels right though because being hated by everyone is a fair price for how good Assimilators are.

The only thing I'm unclear on is how Machine Worlds interact with Assimilator cyborgs. But yes Assimilators feel incredibly strong right now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Terraforming all of your crap to machine worlds instead of just sitting at the energy cap because enclaves hate you is pretty great.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I dunno, Assimilators may not be technically locked out of diplomacy but any non machine empire is still gonna hate your guts so bad for being an assimilator it doesn't really matter. :v: That feels right though because being hated by everyone is a fair price for how good Assimilators are.

The only thing I'm unclear on is how Machine Worlds interact with Assimilator cyborgs. But yes Assimilators feel incredibly strong right now.

In my game right now, I spawned next to Determined Exterminators who I Defensive Pacted immediately and I also have a NAP with an Advanced Start Hivemind which has no relations penalty with me so looks like you're ok with organics as long as they are also controlled by a massive disembodied consciousness.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eej posted:

In my game right now, I spawned next to Determined Exterminators who I Defensive Pacted immediately and I also have a NAP with an Advanced Start Hivemind which has no relations penalty with me so looks like you're ok with organics as long as they are also controlled by a massive disembodied consciousness.

Spawning next to a bunch of fellow machines seems like an edge case scenario that would admittedly lead to Assimilators becoming wildly OP but I'm not sure that warrants a nerf.

In my pre hotfix game I spawned next to a bunch of organics and got ground down over the first half century until eventually the advanced start killed me.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How do I "purge" a planet? I conquered it, but I'm not interested in keeping it. So I want to murder everyone, salt the earth etc. and move on. Is that doable?

Kind of like razing cities in Civilization.

Also, how long does it take to kill everyone on a planet via bombardment only? Kind of like an "exterminatus" in warhammer.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

enraged_camel posted:

How do I "purge" a planet? I conquered it, but I'm not interested in keeping it. So I want to murder everyone, salt the earth etc. and move on. Is that doable?

If you're a xenophobe and all alien species are enslaved, you can selectively purge planets by selecting pops on a purely xeno-populated planet and hitting 'purge all whatever pops on planet'. Otherwise you can set alien species to undesireables and let that happen on its own accord, but if any of your pops wind up on such a planet you're going to end up keeping it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Also, how long does it take to kill everyone on a planet via bombardment only? Kind of like an "exterminatus" in warhammer.

It's a species policy. If you are not a government of shithead Xenophobes/Hive Mind/Skynet this may not be an option.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Is there anyway to give stuff like Construction ships to my sectors?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spawning next to a bunch of fellow machines seems like an edge case scenario that would admittedly lead to Assimilators becoming wildly OP but I'm not sure that warrants a nerf.

In my pre hotfix game I spawned next to a bunch of organics and got ground down over the first half century until eventually the advanced start killed me.

Oh no, I'm just saying that Assimilators do have some semblence of a diplomacy game.

e:

quote:

Determined Exterminators: Was +15% weapon damage. Is now +25% Weapon Damage, -25% Ship cost, +33% Naval Capacity
Fanatic Purifiers: Was +33% Attack Speed, 33% Army Damage. Is now +33% Attack Spee,d 33% Army Damage ,-15% Ship Cost, +33% Naval Cap
Devouring Swarm: Was +0.5% Monthly Hull Regeneration, +20% Biology Research Speed, +10% Ship Hull Points,+40% Army damage. Is now +0.5% Monthly Hull Regeneration, +20% Biology Research Speed ,+25% Ship Hull Points,+40% Army damage, -15% Ship Cost, +33% Naval Cap.

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Eej posted:

Determined Exterminators: Was +15% weapon damage. Is now +25% Weapon Damage, -25% Ship cost, +33% Naval Capacity
Fanatic Purifiers: Was +33% Attack Speed, 33% Army Damage. Is now +33% Attack Spee,d 33% Army Damage ,-15% Ship Cost, +33% Naval Cap
Devouring Swarm: Was +0.5% Monthly Hull Regeneration, +20% Biology Research Speed, +10% Ship Hull Points,+40% Army damage. Is now +0.5% Monthly Hull Regeneration, +20% Biology Research Speed ,+25% Ship Hull Points,+40% Army damage, -15% Ship Cost, +33% Naval Cap.

That's the good poo poo.

• Locked thread