Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

LionArcher posted:

That is because GOT relies on character dynamics to tell a "history/fantasy" story. That's the strength of GOT, it's fantasy for people who are embarrassed by fantasy, and for fantasy fans who wanted "real and gritty".

WOT's strength is the story, as well as great characters. the show is distilling the greatness into a visual medium.

At the end of the day, WOT is a stronger story with a lot more text to pull the best elements from, to create the best visual version of that story for a new/old audience.

None of their changes so far have fundamentally altered what makes that story great. Splitting the dragon soul into five or four would be the first major change that I would strongly disagree with. I think we'll know by the end of this week if they've done that.

and random but awesome.

https://twitter.com/MeRavingMad/status/1470796639145127937?s=20

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's important to firmly grasp the oath rod and look them right in the eyes while doing it

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Touch it like a cock, Rafe you coward.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

God she rules

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

When she gets stilled/juiced by the forsaken I hope she just gets to play herself for a season or two.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zoom in on the oath rod

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

It would be like if LOTR gave the innkeeper in Bree a 20 minute monologue to almost catch him up in word count to Gandalf and Frodo. It's a bizarre use of the limited screen time the show has.

Wait, The innkeeper in Bree was in league with sauron and wanted to secretly destroy the entire world, and planned on turning the hobbits over to the Nazgul? Now that is an interesting twist.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 14, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Wait, The innkeeper in Bree was in league with sauron and wanted to secretly destroy the entire world, and planned on turning the hobbits over to the Nazgul? Now that is an interesting twist.

How did you think the Nazgul knew where to go huh smart guy?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nitrousoxide posted:

When she gets stilled/juiced by the forsaken I hope she just gets to play herself for a season or two.

Just double cast her as Birgitte, constantly swearing like a trooper and rolling her eyes at having to deal with Elayne's poo poo

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Pfft, the oath rod looks nothing like a cock.

It's two cocks, clearly a double-ended dildo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mods ban the first person to post the quote

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mods ban the first person to post the quote

What quote?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If you aren't sure, let's keep it that way :)

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Ass2Ass

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oath2Oath

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This is why the ringwraiths let him live while killing the gatekeeper

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I'm picturing some kind of end-of-day review of footage after shooting the oath rod scene where a lowly intern finally gets up the nerve to say "Is it just me or does this look a lot like..."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Couple of chapters in Crossroads of Twilight and Mat's got himself in quite the pickle. Wondering how he's going to get out this. No Rand chapters yet , but I'm now skim reading the Perrin chapters because I don't like his story.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Outtakes, the one AS opens the oath rod box and it’s just a horse dildo

They finish the scene stone faced

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Gotta spit on the Oath Rod to seal the deal.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The better analogy for the op would've been Bill Ferny in place of the darkfriend girl, I suppose lol

LionArcher posted:

That is because GOT relies on character dynamics to tell a "history/fantasy" story. That's the strength of GOT, it's fantasy for people who are embarrassed by fantasy, and for fantasy fans who wanted "real and gritty".

WOT's strength is the story, as well as great characters. the show is distilling the greatness into a visual medium.

At the end of the day, WOT is a stronger story with a lot more text to pull the best elements from, to create the best visual version of that story for a new/old audience.

None of their changes so far have fundamentally altered what makes that story great. Splitting the dragon soul into five or four would be the first major change that I would strongly disagree with. I think we'll know by the end of this week if they've done that.
Yeah I would definitely have liked a season 1 GoT-type, closer translation to TV for WoT, with slower pacing and more focus on gradual character development & world building as EoTW does it. But from that Sanderson interview posted a couple pages back, seems like they decided that they wanted to start off with a 'bigger' feel to the world right from the start, so that the show feels more like books 4 to 6 to start off with, instead of having the tone & focus of the show gradually change over time from fantasy adventure to politicking/epic conflict type stuff. Which is silly IMO, given that almost any eight-season genre TV show is likely to change radically in tone and content over the course of its run, but there we are.

Also loving lol at the Pike quote. We really are lucky with her on board
Also also I just twigged that with her second name being Pike it lends a little something to that line between Moiraine and Siuan ('clever as a pike') :3:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Data Graham posted:

Outtakes, the one AS opens the oath rod box and it’s just a horse dildo

"We call it Bela"

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

"We call it Bela"

:five:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Speaking of Bela, I just saw this theory in the wild.

When Moiraine cleanses the darkness from Mat from the dagger, afterwards she says "He's stronger than he has any right to be" The way she describes it sounds a lot like when Book Moiraine went to wash Bela's tiredness away but Rand had already done it.

So it's possible that Rand had been channeling at Mat to help him fight the darkness without noticing.

Edit:

So, I'm just going with the painting extra info was incorrect. Because this was an answer Pike gave in the same interview.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 15, 2021

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

th3t00t posted:

Like when Siuan starts talking about, "You're the most powerful channeler we've seen in 1000 years" And Egwene puffs up and then gets deflated when she realizes Siuan is talking about Nynaeve.

This is getting a ton of play, but that moment is very different than what that take implies. She's gets brought into the Hall of the Tower and shown the Amyrlin Seat (the chair), at which point she's told that the Amyrlin Seat (the person) has asked for an audience with her specifically. Then after reuniting with Nynaeve she get's rushed along with just "The Amyrlin's expecting us." My point is, that until Siuan says Nynaeve's name, Egwene doesn't even know that Nynaeve can channel. That moment is likely less a "What I'm not the most special, most powerful in the room?" and more "Wait, Nyneave can channel too?"

Not to mention that she thinks she might be the Dragon Reborn, that would come with a great deal of channeling power.

Random Reader posted:

Oh, this slipped my mind, but they had Egwene's braid being undone as part of the whitecloaks violating her, and it's a shame/bad to miss her immediately (3 days, but still bailing on years of Emonds Field culture to emulate her new faction. At least she added on a Tinkers vestment thingamabob while Perrin remains in the same outfit.

I'm not sure if I'm following you here, but she is wearing her hair in a braid again in Tar Valon. So it's not like the part in the books where she decides not to braid anymore, at least not yet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gambor posted:

That moment is likely less a "What I'm not the most special, most powerful in the room?" and more "Wait, Nyneave can channel too?"

Yes, but in the context of the scene those are both true.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

CainFortea posted:

Speaking of Bela, I just saw this theory in the wild.

When Moiraine cleanses the darkness from Mat from the dagger, afterwards she says "He's stronger than he has any right to be" The way she describes it sounds a lot like when Book Moiraine went to wash Bela's tiredness away but Rand had already done it.

So it's possible that Rand had been channeling at Mat to help him fight the darkness without noticing.

Edit:

So, I'm just going with the painting extra info was incorrect. Because this was an answer Pike gave in the same interview.

i don't love this but I'm going to wait until the end of the season to judge any more poo poo like this.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Hollismason posted:

Couple of chapters in Crossroads of Twilight and Mat's got himself in quite the pickle. Wondering how he's going to get out this. No Rand chapters yet , but I'm now skim reading the Perrin chapters because I don't like his story.

COT is basically the prologue of Knife of Dreams, just 95% too big

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I just spent way way way too long making an overly long reddit post where I estimate the active viewership numbers for Wheel of time being maybe 15 millionish based on our current data, and surprisingly a decently sized global audience despite Amazon's limited global reach.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

I just spent way way way too long making an overly long reddit post where I estimate the active viewership numbers for Wheel of time being maybe 15 millionish based on our current data, and surprisingly a decently sized global audience despite Amazon's limited global reach.

this is a good post

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CainFortea posted:

Sounds like a portal stone to a parallel world in painting form.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
probably a dreamshard.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Dreamshard

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

this is what I was reading in the tea leaves when that head of Amazon tweeted "looking really good". And basically we now have a lot more numbers to back it up. Combined with the one fan from India talking about how everyone he knows is watching it, this is all really good signs of health for the show.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Gambor posted:

This is getting a ton of play, but that moment is very different than what that take implies. She's gets brought into the Hall of the Tower and shown the Amyrlin Seat (the chair), at which point she's told that the Amyrlin Seat (the person) has asked for an audience with her specifically. Then after reuniting with Nynaeve she get's rushed along with just "The Amyrlin's expecting us." My point is, that until Siuan says Nynaeve's name, Egwene doesn't even know that Nynaeve can channel. That moment is likely less a "What I'm not the most special, most powerful in the room?" and more "Wait, Nyneave can channel too?"

Not to mention that she thinks she might be the Dragon Reborn, that would come with a great deal of channeling power.

I'm not sure if I'm following you here, but she is wearing her hair in a braid again in Tar Valon. So it's not like the part in the books where she decides not to braid anymore, at least not yet.
Except Moiraine already told Egwene that “listening to the wind” is channeling and Egwene learned how to “listen to the wind” from Nynaeve…

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Combined with the one fan from India talking about how everyone he knows is watching it

I'm curious about this. What are you referring to here? I kind of got that it was doing pretty well in India from Amazon's statement and Parrot Analytics' global data, but is there like a YouTuber or something talking about it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Success in India probably matters more than most anywhere else. It's a huge market for Amazon with relatively low prime membership rates and a lot of room for expansion.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

it would be extremely funny if it played out like in the books and everyone is just incredibly horny and deferential to her while she says things that make it incredibly clear she's evil

was she doing her low level compulsion thing there? i forget

It's strongly implied, or that Lanfear just always weaves an aura around her that does that. Rand, Juilin, and Loial all act more sane and suspicious when Selene isn't nearby, and Egwene feels uncharacteristically pitiful when she sees Lanfear in the Tower before her personality overpowers it and comes back to "that's bullshit" but she'd already escaped. She also gets pouty and frustrated right after Rand says he feels/imagines he should do a thing, but then gets stubborn and possibly resisting the effect.

Personally I just always assumed that was the case. It's in character that Lanfear needed to be a constant object of worship, that it was the height of generosity to allow Rand to be on her level in her quest to destroy the Dark One, and all the times she used other glamers. Even making herself ugly like as Kareille indulged her sense of superiority, and she still couldn't help moving lightly

withak posted:

I'm picturing some kind of end-of-day review of footage after shooting the oath rod scene where a lowly intern finally gets up the nerve to say "Is it just me or does this look a lot like..."

Johnny Joestar posted:

i can see portal stones being a thing for season 2 but if they're cut for their intended purpose and included purely as a visual ref in that episode then i wouldn't be too surprised

definitely won't be touched on for this season, though

My guess is that the portal stones and Ways get combined in some fashion. "I have won again, Lews Therin," alternate realities, revealing stuff about the Dragon and the Age of Legends, alternate lives/threads, all sorts of trauma, and then Machin Shin

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Success in India probably matters more than most anywhere else. It's a huge market for Amazon with relatively low prime membership rates and a lot of room for expansion.

And also good to get a lock on because as India's median income improves it will eventually eclipse NA + Europe markets combined.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

It's strongly implied, or that Lanfear just always weaves an aura around her that does that. Rand, Juilin, and Loial all act more sane and suspicious when Selene isn't nearby, and Egwene feels uncharacteristically pitiful when she sees Lanfear in the Tower before her personality overpowers it and comes back to "that's bullshit" but she'd already escaped. She also gets pouty and frustrated right after Rand says he feels/imagines he should do a thing, but then gets stubborn and possibly resisting the effect.

i was listening to the Wheel Takes on these chapters and yeah, it jumps out how Rand is constantly thinking about how he should stop whatever he's doing and kiss her in public, like way more than how the propriety-obsessed two rivers kids normally think. it's not normal horny teen stuff so much as "constantly have to resist the urge to worship her"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm curious about this. What are you referring to here? I kind of got that it was doing pretty well in India from Amazon's statement and Parrot Analytics' global data, but is there like a YouTuber or something talking about it?

They may have been referring to me, but I'm in Saudi Arabia. It's very popular here, despite only being available via VPN or high seas downloading.

I posted about it earlier in the thread.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 15, 2021