Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What I do, when I'm working fast, is to set the b/w points of each channel to just-before-clipping values and then on a curves layer I use the midtone sampler to sample a gray area which takes care of any huge left over colour casts. The quick and dirty method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I did that for a long time too, but scenes without an obvious gray area drove me nuts. It was also hard to get a balance between multiple shots in the same scene.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Click on "show clipping" and get faster at using alt 3/4/5, it takes me about 30 seconds per image to get in roughly good shape.

Why even bother with an invert layer? Cmd+i.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
For the Canadian folks out there, Princess Auto has two packs of 60ml syringes for $2.99. Should be good for mixing film chemistry.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm shooting some medium format next weekend and have Portra 400 on order.

Am I missing anything as far as push/pulling? From my understanding I would set my light meter for ISO 200 and then expose for the shadows of my frame, correct? Then I write Pull +1 (or -1?) on the development envelope?

I'm going to be shooting portraits so I'll be wanting the pastel/washed out kind of look. Would this be the correct way of going about things?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Don't know what you're shooting on but don't forget to change the ISO on the film back, body etc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Would one stop underexposure on P400 actually do much? That film is crazy.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Thoogsby posted:

Don't know what you're shooting on but don't forget to change the ISO on the film back, body etc.

Shooting on the Hasselblad 501cm. I have no knowledge about it besides Is Camera and Takes Pictures.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That was the other question, should I even bother or should I just have fun and shoot it at ISO 400?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

iSheep posted:

I'm shooting some medium format next weekend and have Portra 400 on order.

Am I missing anything as far as push/pulling? From my understanding I would set my light meter for ISO 200 and then expose for the shadows of my frame, correct? Then I write Pull +1 (or -1?) on the development envelope?

I'm going to be shooting portraits so I'll be wanting the pastel/washed out kind of look. Would this be the correct way of going about things?

If you want to pull it for the pastel look just shoot it metered at EI 200 and have it processed normally.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can post some examples once I get to a computer, but I just had a roll developed this weekend that I shot anywhere from 1 to 3 stops underexposed. Every shot turned out more or less OK developed at speed.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Short answer: No

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

Short answer: No

These were 35mm, Portra 400 on an Olympus OM-10 and stock 50/1.8.

Let the camera meter outdoors, probably f5.6 and still pushed to 1/1k. This honestly came out overexposed a bit. It's the only one of these three I adjusted exposure in post.

Grammy by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Shot at 1/60, f2.8 with the camera metering 1/15 (so two stops under).

Dinner by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Shot at 1/60, f1.8 with the camera metering 1/8 (so three stops under).

Two-seater by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Huxley fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 11, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Cat Labs are making a roller bath that will work with any tank:
http://www.catlabs.info/product/pre-order-sst4-universal-film-paper-processor

$1600 though.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

Cat Labs are making a roller bath that will work with any tank:
http://www.catlabs.info/product/pre-order-sst4-universal-film-paper-processor

$1600 though.

How about $25?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121721421407

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I have one of those, its not great, but it does the job.

$1600 is crazy, considering you could build it yourself with parts from online Chinese retailers like banggood for not much.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MrBlandAverage posted:

If you want to pull it for the pastel look just shoot it metered at EI 200 and have it processed normally.

Awesome, will do.

Could I even shoot at 100 and be ok?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If it's not too contrasty maybe but why? Maybe bracket a few and see if +1 stops alone works, it can be pretty dramatic.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just not exactly sure what needs to happen to get that ideal Portra 400 look.

Is the answer to shoot Portra 400?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yeah, pretty much. I doubt most of the photos you see are overexposed.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

If you post an example of the type of Portra 400 look you're talking about I'm sure someone could give you a fairly accurate answer to your question, there's no shortage of portra 400 users in this thread.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Goon photos:

Nicole by Will, on Flickr

Tony by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

This is the look I'm going to try for on Saturday, if my model doesn't flake:

Untitled by Ян Кузик, on Flickr

Guessing the answer is still "Shoot Portra"

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

iSheep posted:

Goon photos:

Nicole by Will, on Flickr

Tony by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

This is the look I'm going to try for on Saturday, if my model doesn't flake:

Untitled by Ян Кузик, on Flickr

Guessing the answer is still "Shoot Portra"

Yeah, both of those (certainly mine) are just properly exposed Portra. Don't even overexpose.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

This is overexposed just a half of a stop.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I tend to overexpose my photos by just a hair anyway so maybe I'll just do that.

Also locally its gonna cost me nearly $20 per roll to develop and scan which holy poo poo. I may just shoot one roll if that is the case.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

iSheep posted:

I tend to overexpose my photos by just a hair anyway so maybe I'll just do that.

Also locally its gonna cost me nearly $20 per roll to develop and scan which holy poo poo. I may just shoot one roll if that is the case.

If you plan on shooting more than 10 rolls ever, buy a scanner. It'll pay for itself really quickly.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MrBlandAverage posted:

If you plan on shooting more than 10 rolls ever, buy a scanner. It'll pay for itself really quickly.

For sure. I just wanted to rent the 501cm for the weekend and see if film is something I would like to become even more broke for.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

iSheep posted:

$12/roll + S/H. They come back as JPG, which is not ideal, but the price is solid and they're good enough until you get your own scanner.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

iSheep posted:

For sure. I just wanted to rent the 501cm for the weekend and see if film is something I would like to become even more broke for.

If you're in the NY/NJ area I have an epson 4490 that I was going to throw on CL for $25 or so - I'd trade you for a few rolls of film. It worked decently enough for MF.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Fomapan 400 - Nikon F100

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spedman posted:

Fomapan 400 - Nikon F100

Niiiice

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Yond Cassius posted:

$12/roll + S/H. They come back as JPG, which is not ideal, but the price is solid and they're good enough until you get your own scanner.

Doesn't seem to include development. Which also I should've specified, I included the cost of the roll in that estimate. So this would be more pricey.

Bud posted:

If you're in the NY/NJ area I have an epson 4490 that I was going to throw on CL for $25 or so - I'd trade you for a few rolls of film. It worked decently enough for MF.

Pretty much on the other side of the country :v:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

iSheep posted:

Doesn't seem to include development. Which also I should've specified, I included the cost of the roll in that estimate. So this would be more pricey.

It includes C41 development. They don't check whether you're a GetDPI/RFF member or not. I used them for quite a while and they never charged me for development.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Yond Cassius posted:

It includes C41 development. They don't check whether you're a GetDPI/RFF member or not. I used them for quite a while and they never charged me for development.

If I had this planned out a bit further in advance I think I would've saved money using these guys. But I put everything off til the last second.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

BANME.sh posted:

I found a new way to process negatives that takes a lot of the guesswork out of it (for me at least). It's essentially the same concept as the video in the OP, but there's a slightly different approach to get there. I'll outline the method here and I'm curious for you guys to try it out. It works amazingly for me.
It's been a few days, but I only just got some colour negatives back and wanted to give this a shot. I like it! It's much, much simpler than the steps make it sound, absolutely fool-proof, and the only extra work is making sure I get some film border in the scan.

I do recommend inverting first and then sampling the orange base as black, though.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
Oversharpened portra stuff.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

This one got Explored on Flickr, I think having it in the "I shoot film" group helps a lot for some reason.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spedman posted:

This one got Explored on Flickr, I think having it in the "I shoot film" group helps a lot for some reason.
It's because it's gangster as hell

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Parents sent me their old Canon T70. When I turn it on there's an erratically blinking "M" on the LCD, is this normal? Want to make sure before I waste money on film and stuff to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWE0r9770Xg

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

akadajet posted:

Parents sent me their old Canon T70. When I turn it on there's an erratically blinking "M" on the LCD, is this normal? Want to make sure before I waste money on film and stuff to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWE0r9770Xg

My Canonese is rusty, but I think this just means that the camera is in full manual mode and Canon wants to remind you of the fact. Press Mode and it should go away - you should be able to switch between the different automatic and priority modes from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Yond Cassius posted:

My Canonese is rusty, but I think this just means that the camera is in full manual mode and Canon wants to remind you of the fact. Press Mode and it should go away - you should be able to switch between the different automatic and priority modes from there.

M mode is weird on these - it's doing this because you're in TV actually and have the lens not on A (that's how you set it to M ) - if you put the lens aperture ring back on A, you'll be in TV mode

If you leave the lens on a manual aperture and hit mode+up youll be in AV

If you put the lens on A and hit mode + up you'll be in P