Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Okay! Sounds good, thanks for the advice. I'll just put the extra cash towards the debt in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Advice posted:

...Also as far as long-term financials go, let's just say I have a personal business to grow and financially I'm not worried at all about my future. These bills are peanuts compared to what I expect to be making in a decade or so...
Are you involved with an MLM scheme? Because this sounds like an MLM scheme.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Thanatosian posted:

Are you involved with an MLM scheme? Because this sounds like an MLM scheme.

God, I wish. No, I'm working on building my copywriting skill and hanging my shingle as a freelancer. I'm just confident that taking the time and effort to master this skill will prove financially beneficial.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Advice posted:

God, I wish. No, I'm working on building my copywriting skill and hanging my shingle as a freelancer. I'm just confident that taking the time and effort to master this skill will prove financially beneficial.

It might be financially beneficial, but unless you have a solid business plan and some unique specialization that makes you difficult to replace, don't count on it turning into a big paycheck. There's a reason it's easy to break into the business: there are a lot of people with education and decent writing skills who are willing to work for not much money. Personal relationships and being a known reliable worker can let you get ahead of the crowd, but if you start asking for too much, it's not hard for employers to build that relationship with someone else.

Also, be careful about taxes. Remember that the $X/year numbers are subject to substantial (and non-progressive) self-employment taxes, so they're not comparable to W2 wages. Deducting business expenses isn't the gold mine that a lot of people want it to be, either. This is often a huge shock for people transitioning from beer-money freelance work to actual self-employment.

I've known a few people who have tried to do full-time freelance copywriting. The only one who's made it work is living as an expat in Southeast Asia and pays less than $100/month in rent.

But, even if I'm totally wrong and you're in extreme demand for $150,000/year in-house work doing marketing copy for some high-end, highly-specialized business - it's still a bad idea to spend now based on the idea that you might have good income later.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Advice posted:

Hey guys, I've been slaving over this decision for a few months now, wondering if I could get some feedback:

After a six month "vacation" (unemployment) my credit cards are almost maxed out, I've got a 500 limit at $350, another 500 limit at $490, and a 3200 limit at around $2500, all of those having the minimum payments made. The latter two are not accruing interest yet (introductory offers) but before long I'll have to start making payments larger than the minimum to avoid it. My big card, the daily use one, is at about 7800 of a $9000 limit, but that one I pay off thousands a month. Last month's payment was $2500. (I use it for daily expenses and bills and then just pay off as much as possible every month).

I got a job a couple months ago, I'm making probably $2500 a month or so, and we're in the slow season, that amount will only go up. My monthly expenses are around $1400 not counting food/entertainment, and as I will list later, they will go down to about $1000 a month soon. Also as far as long-term financials go, let's just say I have a personal business to grow and financially I'm not worried at all about my future. These bills are peanuts compared to what I expect to be making in a decade or so, so this isn't a "help me, I'm drowning in debt and have no options" situation, this is more of a, "what makes the most financial sense" question.

My question is about my car; on a 32,000 dollar auto loan, I have about $1,200 left. My credit score is a modest 650. Should I, after getting the title from having paid off the car (and doing so today would be an option, I could pay off the whole thing anytime) get a secured personal loan from somewhere like OneMain Financial, using the car as collateral, for debt consolidation? My monthly payment for the vehicle loan is $450, and I can't tell whether I would be better served taking that extra 500 and working my cards down, or taking on a $500-ish monthly payment for a 10-12,000 dollar loan.

Some numbers:
The cards range from 19-24% APR, the "big one" is at 24.
I have reason to believe the APR on a secured loan would be around 16-20%, based on my credit and similar situations reported online.
I may have plans to move within the next few months, and a "credit calculator" predicts clearing off the cards would add around 80 points to my credit.
I obviously make more than I spend by a pretty significant amount, so it's not like I would take on the loan payments, and immediately charge my cards back up. Essentially I would no longer be making the CC payments, (around $80 for the minimums, and as I said, all the remainder towards the Big Boy).

My main concern is the car will go from something building my credit via the loan to basically doing nothing unless I use it as collateral. It feels like a wasted opportunity. Also, taking out the new loan will build my credit even more, won't it?

Thanks for reading, guys.

I just want to reality check you here - you have $13,040 in consumer debt at usurious rates, and the principle alone represents about 23 weeks of your income, and the idea that you are going to get fantastically rich as a copywrighter is a bit farfetched. I am also concerned that your job has a variable comp component at a very low rate of pay - is it in some sort of sales function?

Your credit score doesn't matter unless you want to take on new debt, which you absolutely should not do at this point in time! Also a good way to raise your credit score would be to stop having an 80% utilization rate on your lines of credit.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Don't put your car up as collateral for a loan to pay off other loans. If you want to bring interest rates down, look at balance transfer cards: https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-cards/i/best-balance-transfer-cards/

The number one way to improve your credit score is to pay off your debt, ESPECIALLY credit cards. Everything else is secondary.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

53 has been unable to get me a renewed debit card so I'm switching banks. What's the best for fee-less checking? I'm game for a credit union too. North East Ohio for that.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

53 has been unable to get me a renewed debit card so I'm switching banks. What's the best for fee-less checking? I'm game for a credit union too. North East Ohio for that.
Is an online only bank OK? Charles Schwab's checking account is really nice, reimburses fees for any ATM withdrawal so you can just use whatever ATM you want.
Alliant Credit Union is a good choice too, it reimburses up to $20 in ATM fees per month and has an excellent savings account too. Also has access to some cash deposit accepting ATMs.
Ally Bank is a popular choice as well.

I use online banks but keep an account open with a traditional brick and mortar as well. Since I'm using primarily online banks I just looked for the one with a free checking account with the lowest minimum balance that was nearby.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

THF13 posted:

Is an online only bank OK? Charles Schwab's checking account is really nice, reimburses fees for any ATM withdrawal so you can just use whatever ATM you want.
Alliant Credit Union is a good choice too, it reimburses up to $20 in ATM fees per month and has an excellent savings account too. Also has access to some cash deposit accepting ATMs.

I use online banks but keep an account open with a traditional brick and mortar as well. Since I'm using primarily online banks I just looked for the one with a free checking account with the lowest minimum balance that was nearby.

Second on Schwab. I switched from Chase to Schwab and it's been really nice. The on thing missing is the ability to deposit cash at an ATM.

Chase requires a monthly deposit of $250 it stave off fees so I just have my paycheck direct deposit split so I still have a chase checking and can use their atms for a cash deposit.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Second on Schwab. I switched from Chase to Schwab and it's been really nice. The on thing missing is the ability to deposit cash at an ATM.

Chase requires a monthly deposit of $250 it stave off fees so I just have my paycheck direct deposit split so I still have a chase checking and can use their atms for a cash deposit.

Get a local credit union for cash deposits. CO-OP ATM network has ATM's *everywhere*.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SiGmA_X posted:

Get a local credit union for cash deposits. CO-OP ATM network has ATM's *everywhere*.

I live in northern NJ and work in NYC, any suggestions ona CU?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I live in northern NJ and work in NYC, any suggestions ona CU?
You know, maybe you should consider just an online CU with Co-Op network, actually. I haven't been to a branch of my local CU for years, and that was only for a business account. Everything else, even with the local CU, was over the internet. All check (and cash - CU ATM across from my office is a different CU!) deposits were via co-op network. I've even gotten ~2k of cash out from a co-op branch.

Use this to see if the co-op network would work for you - you'll see this is set to 07007, that was the first zip Google gave me.
https://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/search-results/?loctype=AS&zip=07007&maxradius=20&country=&Submit=Search

Online CU's:
I've been using Consumers CU since Q1 this year due to rewards checking. Their site is old as gently caress but their customer support was A+ when I talked to them to setup POD.

Alliant CU is one that everyone loves, I have friends that bank there - plus lots of goons talk about it.

Many CU accounts require you to make 10-12 debit card transactions a month. I don't use a debit card for anything, but I can load my Amazon account with 12 x $0.50 transactions, and it processes the debit card as a debit card. I read that Amazon sometimes locks out accounts if they do all 12 at once, so I split up into 2 sessions of 6... Takes a couple min tops. Open the Reload Gift Card tab 6x, type in 0.50, copy/paste to all 6 tabs, click submit. Do it again. Typing that out took way longer than it takes to do, and clearly my spare time is basically free because I post on the interwebs anyway!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'll give it a try. I typically do one $1 Amazon GC gap card purchase each day since gap gives you $2 in rewards each time you use your card outside of the Gap.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'll give it a try. I typically do one $1 Amazon GC gap card purchase each day since gap gives you $2 in rewards each time you use your card outside of the Gap.
Hang on, what is this? Gap as in the store? Or something else?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SiGmA_X posted:

Hang on, what is this? Gap as in the store? Or something else?

It's $1 not $2. Mistyped. Still you can double your money.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

THF13 posted:

For Schwab I'm not going to do any brokerage account with them and can't find the other conditions for fee-less checking. Do you know what they may be? Also do you know if anyone has a mastercard online-only? I guess I can always get another CC to be covered wrt vendors so it's not the biggest deal.

I do not use the physical bank location except to withdraw cash due to not being sent my debit card.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Schwab waives all fees and minimums if you open a checking and brokerage account. You don’t have to actually use the brokerage.

Make sure you google the referral link before opening the accounts so you get the $100 bonus.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I think the Schwab brokerage is automatically opened for you when you open their checking account. When opened this way though the minimum balance for the brokerage is $0 so you can safely ignore it altogether. There are no special conditions for keeping the checking account fee free.

My Ally Debit card is a Mastercard, but are there any stores out there that accept Mastercard and not Visa?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

THF13 posted:

but are there any stores out there that accept Mastercard and not Visa?

nope

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Wife's going to be getting a new job soon with a real nice pay raise (part time contractor to full time employee) so we want to start paying off stuff. I had a question on how we should go about it, more for confirmation I'm not forgetting\missing something that should be obvious. As we don't have official numbers yet (possible change to her benefits instead of my super expensive ones), I can give a vague outline but it should make sense I hope.

Right now, plan is:
X to Emergency Fund
Pay CC 1 as much as possible
Pay minimum on CC 2
Pay smaller 1 time debts (medical)

Both Credit cards are relatively the same in APR (20%) so I went with the smaller one first.

Once CC 1 is done, move to CC 2, continue making smaller payments on medical debts and increase in snowball-like fashion.

Sound OK or am I missing?

Side question, my work doesn't do 401K matching. If I'm OK taking the hit, should I start putting in 2% or so or would that be pointless right now until some of my debt gets freed up?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

Right now, plan is:
X to Emergency Fund

Both Credit cards are relatively the same in APR (20%) so I went with the smaller one first.

Side question, my work doesn't do 401K matching. If I'm OK taking the hit, should I start putting in 2% or so or would that be pointless right now until some of my debt gets freed up?

Since you have high interest debt, I would get a minimal emergency fund of ~$1000 and put everything else toward your credit card debt until it's paid off. Don't bother saving for retirement until then.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Inept posted:

Since you have high interest debt, I would get a minimal emergency fund of ~$1000 and put everything else toward your credit card debt until it's paid off. Don't bother saving for retirement until then.
This, with the clarification that I would still do 401k to max match. Doesn't apply to Mr. Goat though.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I understand basically nothing about finance, and could use some help. In the UK, in case the £ signs don't clue you in. This is probably an extra dumb question, but I'm a fairly recent graduate and right now I've been earning more than I'm spending for a little over a year, but I'm not really sure what to do with that excess. For some numbers, in money I'm not planning on touching in the near future I've got about £7000, and at my current pay I can afford to add £400-500 per month to that.

I'd like to get it out of my current account soon-ish, both because it could probably be doing something more useful and because there's been a bunch of knife crime near my office lately and I'm pretty nervous about how much I stand to lose if the next person to have their card stolen is me.

I've mostly looked at my current account bank (obviously for actual numbers I'd best shop around), it seems like the best interest rates come from a monthly saver account where I deposit a fixed amount by standing order in exchange for 2.5% aer, but the upper limit on that offered by my bank is £250 a month (or £400 if I want to join their account upgrade scheme), which wouldn't even cover my excess monthly earnings, let alone take a chunk out of my current stored amount. After that, it looks like the remainder would best go into an ISA of some kind? They offer one that seems to have the exact same minimum amount and withdrawal terms as their regular savings account, but with a higher interest rate - I understand ISAs have an upper limit on how much money I can have, is there any reason why someone would go for the regular account rather than ISA unless they've already hit that limit?

Is the monthly deposit thing and then an ISA for the rest my best bet? Or, more generally, the OP is mostly aimed at Americans with a section for Canadians and Australians, does anyone have any recommendations for "personal finance for dummies: UK edition"?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

I think the Schwab brokerage is automatically opened for you when you open their checking account. When opened this way though the minimum balance for the brokerage is $0 so you can safely ignore it altogether. There are no special conditions for keeping the checking account fee free.

My Ally Debit card is a Mastercard, but are there any stores out there that accept Mastercard and not Visa?
Costco only takes Visa, but they are a special snowflake.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thanatosian posted:

Costco only takes Visa, but they are a special snowflake.

Costco will also take a debit card regardless of network, but I’m in the “never use a debit card for anything but trusted ATMs” camp since debit fraud is a way bigger pain than credit card fraud.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Deformed Church posted:

I understand basically nothing about finance, and could use some help. In the UK, in case the £ signs don't clue you in. This is probably an extra dumb question, but I'm a fairly recent graduate and right now I've been earning more than I'm spending for a little over a year, but I'm not really sure what to do with that excess. For some numbers, in money I'm not planning on touching in the near future I've got about £7000, and at my current pay I can afford to add £400-500 per month to that.

I'd like to get it out of my current account soon-ish, both because it could probably be doing something more useful and because there's been a bunch of knife crime near my office lately and I'm pretty nervous about how much I stand to lose if the next person to have their card stolen is me.

I've mostly looked at my current account bank (obviously for actual numbers I'd best shop around), it seems like the best interest rates come from a monthly saver account where I deposit a fixed amount by standing order in exchange for 2.5% aer, but the upper limit on that offered by my bank is £250 a month (or £400 if I want to join their account upgrade scheme), which wouldn't even cover my excess monthly earnings, let alone take a chunk out of my current stored amount. After that, it looks like the remainder would best go into an ISA of some kind? They offer one that seems to have the exact same minimum amount and withdrawal terms as their regular savings account, but with a higher interest rate - I understand ISAs have an upper limit on how much money I can have, is there any reason why someone would go for the regular account rather than ISA unless they've already hit that limit?

Is the monthly deposit thing and then an ISA for the rest my best bet? Or, more generally, the OP is mostly aimed at Americans with a section for Canadians and Australians, does anyone have any recommendations for "personal finance for dummies: UK edition"?

The main advantage of a regular saver is the higher rates that are usually offered versus other short term savings accounts - with the disadvantage of the limits on how much can be paid in, and the best rates normally requiring you to have a linked current account with the same provider. It's usually worth maxing out on one, then at the end of the year transferring the balance into another account (eg an ISA), and opening a new regular saver for the new year.

The limit on how much you can contribute to all ISA accounts in a given year is £20k, this resets annually at the start of the tax year. This total can be split between any of the flavours of ISAs (Cash ISA, Stocks & Shares ISA, Innovative Finance ISA, Lifetime ISA, and Help to Buy ISA). However you can only contribute to a maximum of one of each type in a year.

So here, if you have a regular saver in an ISA wrapper with a max monthly contribution of £250 pcm, then this could use up £3,000 of your ISA allowance annually. However you would not be able to put anything above this into another Cash ISA - potentially wasting £17k of your allowance. You could of course still use this £17k for Stocks & Shares or Innovative Finance ISA (riskier); or Help to Buy or Lifetime ISA (only relevant if you are saving for a first time home purchase).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Deformed Church posted:

I think you may be putting the cart before the horse. You mention that you're not planning on touching your nest egg, which is great: but what's the money for? If you're saving up for a downpayment on a house, then that's one thing (how soon? are we talking London or Scunthorpe? etc); but if it's a general security blanket you're after, that's another (how secure is your job? do you have a partner, can they support you both?, etc).

What you want to do with the money can help determine where to put it: for example, if you've got a few months' salary saved up, it's best to keep it where you can access it quickly, and without penalties. Likewise, if you're putting £X aside per month in order to result in £Y down for a house in Z years' time, you can safely lock it away until then, and so on.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

spincube posted:

I think you may be putting the cart before the horse. You mention that you're not planning on touching your nest egg, which is great: but what's the money for? If you're saving up for a downpayment on a house, then that's one thing (how soon? are we talking London or Scunthorpe? etc); but if it's a general security blanket you're after, that's another (how secure is your job? do you have a partner, can they support you both?, etc).

What you want to do with the money can help determine where to put it: for example, if you've got a few months' salary saved up, it's best to keep it where you can access it quickly, and without penalties. Likewise, if you're putting £X aside per month in order to result in £Y down for a house in Z years' time, you can safely lock it away until then, and so on.

I don't know what the money's for, is the honest answer. My job is fairly secure, the role and company aren't likely to go anywhere so barring something catastrophic I don't imagine I'll be leaving until I'm able to fill out my CV a little more and find something better. It's enough that I'd be secure for a year or so if I did end up struggling badly, but that doesn't seem too likely and I'm lucky enough to be able to fall back on my parents before exhausting my finances. I'm in London and have good transport links to my family outside the city so I don't need a car any time soon. I'm single and I've got a relatively stable family so it's not likely to pick up any dependants any time soon.

Ideally what I'd like to do is buy my own home. I've looked and decent 1 bedroom flats in my area start at about £325-350,000. It being London and all, at this point buying property here is somewhere between 10+ years away and a total dead end pipe dream, and by that time I could well need a larger property and prices will have skyrocketed even more. Even a fairly meagre deposit on that is probably going to end up closing in on six figures, and it's fairly unlikely I'll manage to triple my income any time soon and close that gap fast.

I've got several thousand pounds over and above what I'd need to replace my belongings if there was a housefire, cover my expenses for a few months if my job did disappear (however unlikely that may be), or take a spontaneous weekend holiday to Prague. I figure there's got to be something more secure and less wasteful than leaving it in my current account to be stolen or diminished by inflation? I don't have a clear career path or anything, and without any concrete plans for where I'll be and what I'll be doing in five or ten years time, I'd probably just stash it away and then re-assess if/when I make a significant career move or find myself in a serious relationship. This is probably pretty dumb but I can't be the only idiot in his early 20s with no real life plans and no real financial knowhow, right?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We were hoping to buy our next car in cash, but unfortunately our current car was totaled in an accident. The remainder of that loan was paid off by insurance, and we also got the remaining amount of the appraised value to use for a down payment. In an u fortunate confluence of events our savings are lower than we'd like, since we just paid off a student loan in May and are working on rebuilding our savings.

The car we are looking at is not super flashy or luxury, but it looks like we'll need a loan since our savings are a bit low right now. As far as other debt goes, it was only the car and a federal student loan that is on IBR and on track for PSLF. No credit card debt, balances paid in full every month.

We'll be putting roughly 15% down, and the projected loan will represent about 6% of our take home pay. The previous car loan was 4.5% of our take home, so it's not a huge increase. About 50% of our take home was going to paying off a private student loan, which was finished in May, and now that will be going towards savings. I just want some thoughts on financing a car, since a lot of what I read around here is 'buy in cash', but that unfortunately isn't possible at the moment. After the down payment we will still have an emergency fund, so it's not like everything will be going toward the car. We are a 1 car household so we do need figure something out in the next few weeks.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

New or CPO car loan rates are some of the lowest available. It’s not hard to score less than 3%.

Related: take all the money you can at 3%. Loans / debt isn’t always bad. Depending on the rate you can get (0%??) you may want to finance MORE.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Slack Lagoon posted:

We were hoping to buy our next car in cash, but unfortunately our current car was totaled in an accident. The remainder of that loan was paid off by insurance, and we also got the remaining amount of the appraised value to use for a down payment. In an u fortunate confluence of events our savings are lower than we'd like, since we just paid off a student loan in May and are working on rebuilding our savings.

The car we are looking at is not super flashy or luxury, but it looks like we'll need a loan since our savings are a bit low right now. As far as other debt goes, it was only the car and a federal student loan that is on IBR and on track for PSLF. No credit card debt, balances paid in full every month.

We'll be putting roughly 15% down, and the projected loan will represent about 6% of our take home pay. The previous car loan was 4.5% of our take home, so it's not a huge increase. About 50% of our take home was going to paying off a private student loan, which was finished in May, and now that will be going towards savings. I just want some thoughts on financing a car, since a lot of what I read around here is 'buy in cash', but that unfortunately isn't possible at the moment. After the down payment we will still have an emergency fund, so it's not like everything will be going toward the car. We are a 1 car household so we do need figure something out in the next few weeks.

I think is two different things.

Getting a car loan at 10-20%, having a payment plan you haven’t budgeted for or can’t afford, or buying a $30-40k car, those are all not great ideas.

Getting a car loan at 3% on an affordable car, good price, etc, isn’t a bad idea, and probably better than stretching yourself so thin that you’re screwed if an emergency came up. And if it bothers you, once you save up enough just pay it off early.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the input - makes me feel better about it. Should be able to get a good rate, the day of the crash nerdwallet sent a notification saying my credit score had increased to 803.

I've never actually bought a car before, as the one we had was my wife's from before we were married (although I went to the dealers with her and most of them tried to talk to me about it but it was not my decision to make. She ended up buying it from the only guy that talked directly to her). A bit overwhelmed with the whole process and trying to figure out the next steps, but this has been a good sanity check

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Thanks for the input - makes me feel better about it. Should be able to get a good rate, the day of the crash nerdwallet sent a notification saying my credit score had increased to 803.

I've never actually bought a car before, as the one we had was my wife's from before we were married (although I went to the dealers with her and most of them tried to talk to me about it but it was not my decision to make. She ended up buying it from the only guy that talked directly to her). A bit overwhelmed with the whole process and trying to figure out the next steps, but this has been a good sanity check

There is also a car buying/recommendation thread that you might find useful:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

incogneato posted:

There is also a car buying/recommendation thread that you might find useful:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

Thanks, I'll take a look

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ally bank is still the go-to online savings bank? Want to save ~100k over the next three years for home down payment in joint account thing.

Gets 4.5 star rating from nerdwallet... same as a bunch of credit card companies that also offer savings accounts with the same 1.75% APR. Not super keen to park my money with a credit card company, at least not directly.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've had ally for like 3 years, no complaints

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

Ally bank is still the go-to online savings bank? Want to save ~100k over the next three years for home down payment in joint account thing.

Gets 4.5 star rating from nerdwallet... same as a bunch of credit card companies that also offer savings accounts with the same 1.75% APR. Not super keen to park my money with a credit card company, at least not directly.

Why are you hesitant to work with a credit card company which offers an FDIC backed savings account?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Hadlock posted:

Goldman Sachs always has a higher interest rate but if you're iffy on Ally, I'd have to assume they're a straight no go.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nwin posted:

Why are you hesitant to work with a credit card company which offers an FDIC backed savings account?

:rolleyes:

Let's fast forward and skip straight to the nazi comparison.

Bank A is run by Hitler himself, and uses your deposits to fund the extermination of the jews by building gas chambers. He offers 1.75% APR and is FDIC backed
Bank B is run by fluffy unicorns, and uses your deposits to fund healthcare and university for underprivileged orphans. They offer 1.75% APR and are FDIC backed

Ally and Citi sit somewhere along this axis between A and B, it doesn't really matter to the balance in my bank account where I pick, but since I have a choice, I'm going to feel moderately better about choosing the option closer to B, even if it is imperceptibly small.

Thanks for the advice, will sign up with Ally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I got real bad news about Ally’s origins mate