Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I got my copy of the Mel Brooks Collection from Amazon and it has the 2014 remaster of Blazing Saddles!

The set came out in 2012, so I'm guessing they switched to the newer disc for later pressings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So apparently the new Scream Factory release of Black Christmas has some kind of issue with the mono audio track and they're doing a replacement program on the discs.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Best Of Warner 50 (+ UV) is down to $69.99 as the deal of the day. There's some duds but it's $1.40 a movie and you can probably sell the UV code to bring the cost down even more.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-of-Warn...f586ddcd3f8e8c4

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

So apparently the new Scream Factory release of Black Christmas has some kind of issue with the mono audio track and they're doing a replacement program on the discs.

Seems like the complaints are because they didn't filter it enough compared to the prior DVD.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I saw this at their Facebook page (or at Bluray.com, I forget which)

quote:

We will be offering a replacement (Disc 1 only) of our Blu-ray release of BLACK CHRISTMAS which will include the original mono audio track as it was presented on prior releases of the film on DVD and Blu-ray.

Instructions to receive this replacement disc are as follows:

Send an email to our customer service department @ info@shoutfactory.com
Please include “BLACK CHRISTMAS REPLACEMENT PROGRAM” in the subject line.
Please provide your first and last name and the mailing address in which you would like the disc sent to. No other copy is needed.
Must provide proof of purchase (photo of receipt or online order will do) in the body of the email.
You will not receive a shipment confirmation. Also, please note that due to the high volume of inquires we will not be able to respond to each email personally.
Replacement discs are expected to ship in January 2017 and as soon as we receive them. No tracking numbers will be assigned.

We’d like to also take this time to address the fans that brought this to our attention and explain more in detail as to why our mono audio track for Black Christmas sounded so rough. Unfortunately, we were not able to find a mag track, only an optical track, which is not an ideal source for this kind of work. However, based on earlier customer feedback who hoped for lossless mono audio, we decided to include the mono audio track with minimal processing and compression. The was a decision made with the best of intentions and the hope of providing the most authentic film presentation, but the hissy sibilance of the optical track proved to be too extreme and took away from the viewing experience. We’re sorry for the frustration it may have caused. We have explored all options to correct the problem that fit within our resources and have concluded that the best solution was to use the mono audio track originally released on the Critical Mass DVD.

Much thanks for your patience and continued support. And we look forward to bringing you more great retro films in 2017.
Customer Service
Shout! Factory
2034 Armacost Ave., 1st Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90025
info@shoutfactory.com

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Seems like the complaints are because they didn't filter it enough compared to the prior DVD.

I'm wondering if it's actually bad enough to gently caress with the replacement disc thing or if it's just internet spergs spergin. I picked it up last night but I haven't opened it yet so I'm wondering if I should just return it to the store I got it from and buy another copy directly from Scream Factory in a few months. The people who post on blu-ray.com can be pretty extreme about trivial poo poo a lot of the time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Okay, so I figured gently caress it and popped in the movie. And yes the mono sound mix is exactly as bad as people are saying. There's such excessive sibilance that you can hear a loud audible hiss when people are talking. That said, there are two other sound mixes a 2.0 stereo and a 5.1 that sound just fine if you don't really care about hearing the original sound mix.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, if anyone wants the Flicker Alley Blu of A Trip to the Moon, it's going OOP after the 31st.
https://www.flickeralley.com/classic-movies/#!/A-Trip-to-the-Moon-In-Its-Original-1902-Colors-The-Extraordinary-Voyage/p/41384371

It's on sale on their site at 40% off. Besides including the restored color version of A Trip to the Moon, it also includes a regular B&W version (with two more conventional scores), an hour-long documentary on the film and Melies, as well as two extra Melies shorts in HD.

I think it's mainly because the exclusivity window of the restoration having the bizarre score by AIR. It wouldn't surprise me if they replaced it with a Blu-Ray edition of the complete surviving Melies set eventually.

I own the original steelbook edition of Trip to the Moon. I was looking to buy a replacement copy as mine got slightly damaged in a basement flood - but this is not a steelbook edition (confirmed by Flicker Alley on Facebook). Assuming it just arrives in a typical bluray case?

Nonetheless, it's definitely worth owning in whatever form you can! A fantastic release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

All the Flicker Alley releases I have are in Criterion style clear cases.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
There's an anime deal of the day going on. https://www.amazon.com/dlp/fa2edc41...18040f88091640a

The blu-rays:

$19.99 - Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series
$47.49 - Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Amazon edition with 2 exclusive art books)
$12.99 - Ghost In The Shell Arise: Borders 1 & 2
$14.99 - Ghost In The Shell: The New Movie (+ UV)
$12.99 - Evangelion 2:22
$14.99 - Evangelion 3.33
$16.49 - Black Butler: Book of Murder OVA's
$17.49 - Black Butler: Season 2 Classic
$22.99 - High School DxD: The Series
$22.99 - High School DxD New: The Series
$29.49 - High School Dxd Born: Season 3
$29.49 - Black Butler: Book Of Circus - Season 3
$29.49 - The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1 & 2
$36.99 - Brothers Conflict: The Complete Series

I've only seen Cowboy Bebop but it was pretty good and animation is always great on Blu-Ray.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So my copy of Napoleon arrived from Amazon UK pretty damaged, just like I expected. I contacted Ben Stoddart at BFI and he sent me a free replacement slipcase and digipack, which arrived yesterday in perfect shape. Now THAT'S excellent customer service!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

So my copy of Napoleon arrived from Amazon UK pretty damaged, just like I expected. I contacted Ben Stoddart at BFI and he sent me a free replacement slipcase and digipack, which arrived yesterday in perfect shape. Now THAT'S excellent customer service!

Oh drat mine showed up banged up too. Is the contact info on BFI's page?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Masters of Cinema will be releasing the new 4K Buster Keaton restorations starting next year. First release is a box set with The General, Steamboat Bill Jr, and Sherlock Jr.

Kino is releasing two double features from Lobster Films 2K restorations (The General/Three Ages and Steamboat Bill Jr/College), but will lose the rights to the rest of the features next month. Cohen Media has US rights, but have been licensing to MoC and Arrow in the U.K.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I might do that, though it's not that bad.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 22, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The address I used: Ben.Stoddart@bfi.org.uk

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Masters of Cinema will be releasing the new 4K Buster Keaton restorations starting next year. First release is a box set with The General, Steamboat Bill Jr, and Sherlock Jr

Oh gently caress yes. Too bad I already bought the KINO release of Sherlock Jr. Oh well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Amazon UK could never send me a package inside the country without damaging it, so no surprise one coming to the states got badly dinged. Glad you were able to sort it out directly and not deal with Amazon at least.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It was all due to the packing they used. Instead of a box they use a flat mailer. There was literally zero chance of it arriving undamaged. Hell they probably had to crush it just to get it inside the mailer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep that's always been my issue too. I've brought it up a few times, but they once sent me a hard drive in a mailer that might've just about protected a paperback book. Literally just a thin bit of cardboard wrapped around a bare drive.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
We need a support group for those suffering PTSD from Amazon UK shipping.

I ordered the region-free Blu-ray box set of Star Trek: The Next Generation when they had some crazy deal before Black Friday. My first order never arrived after over a month and never had any shipping/tracking information whatsoever. They sent me a replacement via UPS, which arrived just a few days after I reported the missing original.

The shipping box was about four times too big for the actual item. Instead of filling all the empty space with styrofoam, air pillows, or bubble wrap, there was one fist-sized wadded-up piece of generic brown packing paper. That's it. That was the only "padding" in the entire box. So all the way from the UK to US, that poor little box the Blu-rays were in was tossed around like it was in a washing machine.

When I opened the set box, the two oversized Blu-ray cases themselves were smashed to bits. Like completely pulverized. Most of the "pages" of discs were cracked or missing corners or edges. Fortunately, none of the discs themselves look damaged, but a few were loose doing to the little center snap-on mounts being busted out.

Amazon UK is sending another replacement, but I told them that unless they significantly improve how they package it, I don't expect another to arrive in any better condition than the last.

Are air pillows and bubble wrap not a thing in the UK? :confused:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has The Jazz Singer for only $9.65.
https://www.amazon.com/The-Jazz-Sin...N=B009P07QPS&m=

It's a 3-disc Digibook set. First disc is a Blu with the movie, commentary, and a few shorts (including I Love to Singa in 1080p). Second disc has a feature-length documentary on early sound and half a dozen more shorts. The third disc has 24 Vitaphone shorts (about 3 1/2 hours worth).

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
So I recieved a region free blu ray player for Christmas. Can anyone here recommend some must-have imports?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sith Happens posted:

Are air pillows and bubble wrap not a thing in the UK? :confused:

It probably has more to do with the Amazon warehouse it shipped from.

Can't say how warehouses are in the UK, but when you throw minimum wage at people, expect minimum effort. This goes double when it's seasonal work, like the ramp up to Xmas, where they just throw extra people at the system with little to no training.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They used to have more protective packaging iirc. I assumed it was some sort of environmental drive. Quite thankful I never buy TV/movies from there now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Merry Christmas everybody :)

$4.99 - Independence Day: 20th Anniversary (+ UV) https://www.amazon.com/Independence...d6f3e8e79a243b4
$5 - Woodstock (Limited Edition) https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-3-...e7e317f519d3684
$14 - Kubo And The Two Strings (+ UV) https://www.amazon.com/Kubo-and-the...c5cf7e8db5b61ef

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

So I recieved a region free blu ray player for Christmas. Can anyone here recommend some must-have imports?

BFI Napoleon release. Someone posted a bunch more in this thread I think.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

I asked this question a month or so ago. Here's Egbert's awesome reply:

Egbert Souse posted:

Not a comprehensive list, but a good start...

First, the key studios:

Masters of Cinema/Eureka
Long considered the UK's answer to Criterion. They have exclusive UK rights to the Transit Film library, which includes almost all pre-WWII German cinema. Their specialty are silent films, often surpassing the US Kino Lorber and sometimes Criterion editions.

Arrow Films
Went from a more obscure label to one of the star UK boutique labels. They specialize in genre films, especially sci-fi and horror. Considered the UK equivalent to Shout! Factory and they have released some titles in the US recently.

BFI
Label created by the British Film Institute. Usually high quality releases, often without an equivalent US release.

I'm not as familiar with the non-UK labels, but I know Carlotta (France), Lobster Films (France), and Divsa (Spain) are known for high quality releases.

Here's my essentials, broken down into categories.

UK > US edition (better encodes/transfers, more extras):

Metropolis - David Kalat commentary, better encoding than US Kino (MoC)
Nosferatu - Kalat commentary, vastly better encoding than US Kino (MoC)
Man with a Movie Camera & Other Films (Vertov) - More extras, vastly better encode [US Flicker Alley edition compresses all content onto one BD-50, MoC on two BD-50s] (MoC)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - Best quality transfer, best score, and only edition with 1925 cut in HD. (BFI) - Region Free with PAL extras disc
Chaplin's Mutual Comedies - Best quality transfers, more scores, commentaries. (BFI)
Buster Keaton Complete Short Films - Better encodes than US Kino set, more extras, and more scores (MoC)
Fear and Desire - Includes Kubrick's short films Day of the Fight and Flying Padre, plus visual essay not on US Kino edition (MoC)
The 'burbs - Loaded special edition with 2K remaster vastly better than bare-bones Universal edition (Arrow)
Zardoz - More extras, new 4K restoration. US Twilight Time OOP. (Arrow)

Unavailable on Blu-Ray in US (OOP or in-print DVDs may exist)

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse - Criterion has more extras, but is only on DVD. (MoC)
The Passion of Joan of Arc - 2K restoration with multiple cuts, but without the Visions of Light score (MoC)
City Girl - Released on DVD by Fox in a Murnau/Borzage box set only (MoC) - Region Free
Kenneth Anger's Magick Lantern Cycle - US Fantoma DVD is sort of OOP. Exact same films and extras. Region free! (BFI)
The Last Command (Von Sternberg) - US Criterion DVD is OOP. (MoC)
Lifeboat (Hitchcock) - Only on DVD in US from Fox (MoC)
The Trial (Welles) - Only public domain, poor quality US DVDs. (StudioCanal)
Peeping Tom - US Criterion long OOP. (StudioCanal)
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - US Criterion long OOP (StudioCanal)
The Tales of Hoffmann - US Criterion long OOP, from new 4K restoration. (StudioCanal) - Note: Criterion will release it eventually
The Adventures of Prince Achmed - Only on DVD in US from Milestone. (BFI)
Peter Pan (Disney) - OOP in US, identical disc shared with sequel - Region Free
The Adventures of Mark Twain (Will Vinton) - Only DVD edition in US - Region Free
L'Age D'or/Un chien andalou - Only DVD edition in US is OOP. (BFI)
The Lost Weekend - In-print from Universal only on DVD (MoC)
The Lodger/Sabotage/Young and Innocent - US Fox DVDs OOP. Criterion has rights, but no planned releases (Network)
The Fallen Idol - US Criterion is long OOP (StudioCanal)
The Man Who Fell to Earth - US Criterion Blu is long OOP, new 4K restoration. (StudioCanal)
Kind Hearts and Coronets - US Criterion is long OOP (StudioCanal)
The Long Good Friday - US Criterion long OOP and new 2K restoration (Arrow)
The Human Condition - US Criterion is DVD-only. (Arrow)
Rossellini's War Trilogy - US Criterion is DVD-only (BFI)

BFI also has several box sets of Alan Clarke and Ken Russell films that may or may not have US editions on DVD.

Arrow has two Woody Allen sets. The first box has three not on Blu at all (plus on only from Twilight Time), the second set has four Twilight Time titles. Good option since the price is vastly lower than buying separately in US.

Box 1:
Bananas (not on US Blu)
Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex (not on US Blu)
Sleeper (MGM Blu in US)
Love and Death (Twilight Time Blu in US)
Annie Hall (MGM Blu in US)
Interiors (only DVD in US)

Box 2:
Manhattan (MGM Blu in US)
Stardust Memories (only DVD in US)
A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (Twilight Time Blu in US)
Zelig (Twilight Time Blu in US)
The Purple Rose of Cairo (Twilight Time Blu in US)
Broadway Danny Rose (Twilight Time Blu in US)

Totally unavailable in the US (not even a DVD):

Abel Gance's Napoleon - US edition coming in 2017/18, but with different restoration and score. Nov. 21 release date. (BFI)
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover - OOP for over a decade in US
Matinee - Arrow Films has a special edition

This is just touching the surface, though.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JVFUNBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Woodstock 40th Anniversary Edition $5

Out of stock, but can still be ordered for that price.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

I asked this question a month or so ago. Here's Egbert's awesome reply:

This is is no way a criticism of the man's hard work, but I notice that The Last Wave is missing from the list. Does anyone have any info on it?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Does Amazon US do a boxing day sale at all? Got a gift card and I'm waiting to see if the Marx Brothers set gets a bit lower than the current price point.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Does Amazon US do a boxing day sale at all? Got a gift card and I'm waiting to see if the Marx Brothers set gets a bit lower than the current price point.

What the gently caress is boxing day?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

CPL593H posted:

What the gently caress is boxing day?

Black Friday for Brits and Canadians.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Gross.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CopywrightMMXI posted:

And Australians, thanks :colbert:

Ended up biting the bullet on some of the Looney Tunes platinum collections anyway. Also, it's apparently impossible to find a copy of Blade Runner on blu-ray around my area - I'm thinking they're gearing up for a re-release of the deluxe edition with the new movie coming out? It's stupidly frustrating, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They'll definitely do another Blade Runner set. One major omission on both the original and the later repackaging is that Dangerous Days was fully produced in HD. It's only been seen in SD on both editions, either on its own DVD or as an extra on a Blu disc.

I bet they'll also re-encode the Final Cut version since both the 5-disc and 3-disc versions have it on a BD-25.

Jack Gladney posted:

This is is no way a criticism of the man's hard work, but I notice that The Last Wave is missing from the list. Does anyone have any info on it?

I did a full listing of Criterions not yet updated to Blu-Ray here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2116939&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=280#post466162740

However, at the time of the writing, The Last Wave was OOP (according to Criterion's site), so I didn't include it in my list.

For that matter, I was surprised that Criterion only updated six previously DVD-only editions to Blu-Ray in the entirety of 2016. Except for those six and a few repackagings, the year was all about brand new stuff.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 27, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

In general do you think Criterion intends on releasing these on Blu-ray at some point? Or is it safe in most cases to go ahead and grab another studio's release?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

In general do you think Criterion intends on releasing these on Blu-ray at some point? Or is it safe in most cases to go ahead and grab another studio's release?

I'd expect anything from major directors to make it. Lean, Powell & Pressburger, Fellini, Bergman, Kurosawa, etc. unless rights issues occur.

Andrei Rublev, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Written on the Wind, The Lady Eve, Mishima, and Z are definitely in the works.

Also, a lot of films on Filmstruck have newer HD masters like Andrei Rublev, Joan of Arc, Alexander Nevsky, and Ivan the Terrible.

There's also films that Criterion licensed their transfers for UK releases like The Human Condition, The Naked Prey, and White Dog.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd expect anything from major directors to make it. Lean, Powell & Pressburger, Fellini, Bergman, Kurosawa, etc. unless rights issues occur.

Andrei Rublev, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Written on the Wind, The Lady Eve, Mishima, and Z are definitely in the works.

I want both of these so bad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just got The Jazz Singer in the mail today. It's in a VHS thickness digibook. The book part is about as thick as one of the Criterion mini-books. Has some essays, the press book, and credits.

The film itself. WOW. I didn't expect it to look this amazing on Blu-Ray.

The screencaps don't really capture how sharp and detailed the film looks in motion. You can see thread textures on jackets.

Also, the sound is incredible. You'd never think it was from 1927. Sounds more like a mid-30s production.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 28, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Does the film itself have much merit aside from the "first"-ness of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Does the film itself have much merit aside from the "first"-ness of it?

It's actually a very good film. Keep in mind it's actually a silent film with talkie sequences. Al Jolson's performance is fantastic and not just for the songs. It's easy to see why the film was a gigantic success. I also find it interesting how natural it seems to go from silent to talking sequences. Not clunky at all like so many other transition-era films.

I would consider it 100% essential because it really is one of the key early sound films and that it's ground floor to a lot of pop culture references. The main problem people will have is the blackface, but it's not done to be racist or anything. That really was a performance thing at the time and actually fits in with the story's theme of ethnic identity.

Also, the set is pretty much an entire film course on early sound and Vitaphone.

• Locked thread