Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Elukka posted:

What is snek.earth, I appreciate its name and the image but I don't know what it does

It's basically a dedicated server for dom4 so people can just connect and play their turns, no emailing required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Is it specifically for goon games or something or is it intended to be like an open thing? I've been looking into running some games with friends but I haven't yet looked very deeply on how to actually do it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Elukka posted:

Is it specifically for goon games or something or is it intended to be like an open thing? I've been looking into running some games with friends but I haven't yet looked very deeply on how to actually do it.

It was set up by Naksu for the dom 4 goon community, so you'll have to ask him.

Naksu
Jul 22, 2007
It's supposed to be an open thing after it stops requiring handholding for stuff people want to do (disciple games, removing pretender uploads from guys that change their minds etc)

edit: so yes, you can use it to host your friends' games, but it's not perfect.

Naksu fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 19, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Why are people who aren't newbies joining the newbies game? If someone is rushing Bot they aren't a newbie. What happened to this community.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Rushing BoT has become a meme I fear.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Why are people who aren't newbies joining the newbies game? If someone is rushing Bot they aren't a newbie. What happened to this community.

Depends, if it turns out their nation and their scales are rather bad for BoT and they hurt themselves, I'd say they're still newbies.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Decrepus posted:

As a newbie I picked a fight with EA Pan with EA Sauromatia and exited the game just after year 2. One of my best decisions yet.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010

Horde of Skeletons is a good spell for arena fights.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Eeepies posted:

As a newbie I picked a fight with EA Pan with EA Sauromatia and exited the game just after year 2. One of my best decisions yet.

Wow yeah that will do it. You don't invade Pan without a very good plan.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

jBrereton posted:

Rushing BoT has become a meme I fear.

Literally dodge all games with an UW nation while this is the case.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Hello Dom4 thread, I’m getting into this game after playing a lot of Dom3 years ago, and had a few questions centering around MA Eriu. I was thinking of doing some form of N9 bless off of Irminsul and leaning into some of these amazing-looking nature and air globals, but their Daoine Sidhe sacreds seem… Pricey. On the other hand, glamour, and sidhe lords / tuatha look impressive. In general, what does standard play with Eriu look like, and how do they get off the ground?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Kestral posted:

Hello Dom4 thread, I’m getting into this game after playing a lot of Dom3 years ago, and had a few questions centering around MA Eriu. I was thinking of doing some form of N9 bless off of Irminsul and leaning into some of these amazing-looking nature and air globals, but their Daoine Sidhe sacreds seem… Pricey. On the other hand, glamour, and sidhe lords / tuatha look impressive. In general, what does standard play with Eriu look like, and how do they get off the ground?

Early expansion should be no problem with sacreds as good as Eriu has. Seriously, high-def glamour troops eat most indies for breakfast if you combine them with some cheap arrow-catchers.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 19, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Corbeau posted:

Early expansion should be no problem with sacreds as good as Eriu has. Seriously, high-def glamour troops eat most indies for breakfast if you combine them with some cheap arrow-catchers.

With a good water bless Sidhe Lords can take out huge forces on their own. I had lots of success by going water / air / earth on my pretender. Water as major bless, just enough air to forge boosters and a minor earth bless so they get less tired. The early game I just recruited Sidhe Lords and formed little raiding parties out of 2-3 of them. Most indies just surrendered rather than facing them. Well, their ghosts did since the Sidhe Lords had already slaughtered them all. :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Decrepus posted:

How so? It's not exactly a complex strategy in any sense of the word. You're literally just researching up to a specific point while amassing death gems.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Decrepus posted:

It's more that I'm a newbie who joined a "Regular rear end Dominions Game"

So really, the fault is mine for jumping into the deep.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Decrepus posted:

Maybe it's the reincarnation of Noobfucker Neruz.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kestral posted:

I run awake god and use fir bolg. Their sacreds suck imo for cost and eriu's best thing/gimmick is song which enables the lightning thing.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
First Second draft of who should get what kind of starting location in EA EVERY AGE of map gen:

Reading guide:
- The Capital column is the terrain type in your capital province.
- The Nearby Type column is a type of terrain that often spawns near your capitol (1-2 steps away). Usually this means at least one province, but possibly more.
- the Nearby Water column only matters for water type stuff, but basically allows combining coast with a terrain type.

EA Berytos, for example, starts in a normal plains province (Type.Default in the first column), has Wastelands nearby (Type.Desert in the second column) and their cap is on the coast (Type.Coast in the third column).

Info propagates to the right, so EA Ulm (for example) both starts in a forest and has forests nearby. If a nation is totally blank (like EA Arco) then it's totally default balanced terrain.

code:
Name			#		Cap Type		Area Type		Area Elevation
EA Arcoscephale 	5
EA Ermor 		6
EA Ulm 			7 		Type.Forest
EA Marverni 		8		Type.Default		Type.Forest
EA Sauromatia 		9
EA T'ien Ch'i 		10
EA Machaka 		11
EA Mictlan 		12		Type.Default		Type.Forest
EA Abysia 		13 		Type.Cave
EA Caelum 		14 		Type.Mountain		Type.Default
EA C'tis 		15 		Type.Swamp		Type.Desert
EA Pangaea 		16		Type.Forest
EA Agartha 		17		Type.Cave
EA Tir na n'Og 		18
EA Fomoria 		19		Type.Default		Type.Default		Type.Coast
EA Vanheim 		20		Type.Default		Type.Forest		Type.Coast
EA Niefelheim 		21		Type.Default		Type.Forest
EA Kailasa 		25		Type.Forest
EA Lanka 		26		Type.Forest
EA Yomi 		27
EA Hinnom 		28		Type.Default		Type.Desert
EA Ur 			29		Type.Default		Type.Swamp
EA Berytos 		30		Type.Default		Type.Desert		Type.Coast
EA Xibalba 		31		Type.Cave		Type.Forest
EA Atlantis 		83		Type.Depths
EA R'lyeh 		84		Type.Depths
EA Pelagia 		85		Type.Shallows
EA Oceania 		86		Type.Shallows
EA Therodos 		95		Type.Shallows

MA Arcoscephale 	33
MA Ermor 		34
MA Sceleria 		35
MA Pythium	 	36
MA Man 			37
MA Eriu 		38
MA Ulm 			39		Type.Forest
MA Marignon 		40
MA Mictlan 		41		Type.Default		Type.Forest
MA T'ien Ch'i 		42
MA Machaka 		43
MA Agartha 		44		Type.Cave
MA Abysia		45		Type.Cave
MA Caelum		46		Type.Mountain
MA C'tis		47		Type.Swamp
MA Pangaea		48		Type.Forest
MA Asphodel		49		Type.Forest
MA Vanheim 		50		Type.Default		Type.Forest		Type.Coast
MA Jotunheim 		51		Type.Default		Type.Forest
MA Vanarus 		52
MA Bandar Log 		53		Type.Forest
MA Shinuyama 		54
MA Ashdod 		55		Type.Default		Type.Desert
MA Nazca 		57		Type.Mountain
MA Xibalba 		58		Type.Cave		Type.Forest
MA Atlantis 		87		Type.Shallows
MA R'lyeh 		88		Type.Depths
MA Pelagia 		89		Type.Shallows
MA Oceania 		90		Type.Shallows
MA Ys 			96		Type.Shallows

LA Arcoscephale 	60
LA Pythium 		61
LA Lemuria 		62
LA Man 			63
LA Ulm 			64		Type.Default		Type.Forest
LA Marignon 		65		Type.Default		Type.Default		Type.Coast
LA Mictlan 		66		Type.Default		Type.Forest
LA T'ien Ch'i 		67
LA Jomon 		69		Type.Default		Type.Default		Type.Coast
LA Agartha 		70		Type.Cave
LA Abysia 		71		Type.Cave
LA Caelum 		72		Type.Mountain
LA C'tis 		73		Type.Default		Type.Desert
LA Pangaea 		74		Type.Forest
LA Midgard 		75		Type.Default		Type.Forest		Type.Coast
LA Utgard 		76		Type.Default		Type.Forest
LA Bogarus 		77
LA Patala 		78		Type.Forest
LA Gath 		79		Type.Default		Type.Desert
LA Ragha 		80		Type.Mountain		Type.Desert
LA Xibalba 		81		Type.Cave		Type.Forest
LA Atlantis 		91		Type.Default		Type.Default		Type.Coast
LA R'lyeh 		92		Type.Depths
e4: reworked the chart and my explanation of what it means.

e5: ALL AGES. Now tell me what's bad and wrong so I can fix it.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 20, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from PGS, here is a mod that stops UW factions casting BoT at all.

click the picture for this mod, that works for 4.29 (the current version).

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

My BoT pet peeve are people who refuse to attack the caster because they have a NAP. Casting BoT IS an attack, the NAP is already broken, c'mon son.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

My BoT pet peeve are people who refuse to attack the caster because they have a NAP. Casting BoT IS an attack, the NAP is already broken, c'mon son.

Yeah casting BoT is generally considered to be an attack on everyone and NAPs are invalid.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Map generator interface now under construction. So far, now showing province flags, throne provinces, and start location provinces (though they all spawn as unknown nations with totally random start types atm, haven't integrated the nation database yet):

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 21, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah casting BoT is generally considered to be an attack on everyone and NAPs are invalid.

Anybody who is able to contribute against whoever cast BoT but doesn't is helping whoever cast it and must be punished.

Really that spell just comes way too early in the game. I don't think I'd play in a mutiplayer game without it being modded out. It's just so stupid.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Newbie Game Trip Report: Rain of Stones is indeed good.

EDIT: DO NOT RoS Harpies with sound on.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 21, 2017

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Sweet, glad that's not my army.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

the shamefulest cube

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Great Gray Shrike posted:

Horde of Skeletons is a good spell for arena fights.
It is. :argh:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol if you sent anyone into that arena fight without a water bottle and or imp familiar and who was also a D2 mage to cast HoS at a similar pace after the first time it happened.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I cast Eyes of God in MoMagic.

Look at this bullshit:

And this:

It's turn 22. I'm not even going to pretend that things aren't going down soon at this point. This is where you're going: http://imgur.com/lJWhSOk

Mukip fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 23, 2017

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Mukip posted:

This is where you're going: http://imgur.com/lJWhSOk

:hitlerpop:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Look at all those fukken plains lol (in extremely salty fomoria that started next to 2 wastes, a mediocre plain and a plain over a river containing a throne voice)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Mukip posted:

Look at this bullshit:

And this:

It's turn 22. I'm not even going to pretend that things aren't going down soon at this point. This is where you're going: http://imgur.com/lJWhSOk

I'm actually amazed where I am research-wise on that graph, because I hosed up getting my labs up quickly initially, and have also been diverting huge chunks of my mages for other purposes.

I'm also incredibly amused about those Pan flags in the upper left. Pan, you really shouldn't try expanding any more through that cross-ocean chokepoint.

jBrereton posted:

Look at all those fukken plains lol (in extremely salty fomoria that started next to 2 wastes, a mediocre plain and a plain over a river containing a throne voice)

Serves you right for what you tried to do recently. :colbert: Also for claiming you were going to deal with R'yleh, then left all the work to Pelagia.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Mukip posted:

Look at this bullshit:

mo money settings are so bad

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lord Koth posted:

Serves you right for what you tried to do recently. :colbert: Also for claiming you were going to deal with R'yleh, then left all the work to Pelagia.
We are a non interventionist power that did not bother Pelagia despite our many amphibious giants which I thought was a reasonable compromise.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

mo money settings are so bad

Actually they are Cool and Fun.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

I'm also incredibly amused about those Pan flags in the upper left. Pan, you really shouldn't try expanding any more through that cross-ocean chokepoint.

Pan loves chokepoints.

EDIT: or as they are called in Pan, 'bug or sex stops'

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
How do you beat Pangaea then?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
With a stick, while he sleeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I think I need to get into some blitz games using my mapgen, if folks are up for that at some point. I haven't played a blitz game in forever, but I could use a faster turnaround time on mapgen balance than 1-3 months. :v:

• Locked thread