Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

ChesterJT posted:

If you want a real answer, this generation doesn't understand nuance at all and spends every waking moment trying to flagellate themselves for any deemed impure thought.

Which "this generation" are you talking about?

ChesterJT posted:

It's ok to laugh at a joke. That doesn't make you homophobic, or racist, or whatever other label you're desperately trying to attach to yourself. Life's too short to beat yourself up over a tv show.

Also, making or laughing at jokes doesn't not make you homophobic or racist so this statement is useless.

As an example for the rest of the thread, conservative astroturf personalities like Crowder, Shapiro, and so forth are horrible human beings who say horrible poo poo all the time and their audience eats it up. A classic feature of fascists are that they say or do horrible things and pretend that they were "just joking" (the okay hand symbol for white supremacy, for instance). Recently, in "celebration" of MLK day, Steven Crowder talked about (I'm not linking it) how MLK was having sex with "crack whores." His crew and audience laugh at this "joke." On top of Crowder being a racist it's also inaccurate because crack wasn't around when MLK was alive. So, it's just lazy racist word association that MLK's prostitutes were crack whores because they were black (I guess, I haven't looked at the roster). It is funny to laugh at Crowder because he's a piece of poo poo, like the Sunny characters, but enjoying the actual racist joke means you're garbage, too.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Gang Get Held Accountable

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Everyone else has had really good answers, so I only wanna add one small thing.

Mister Speaker posted:

Maybe it's that they don't 'double down' in the same way that some entertainers do. They move on, and maybe make another episode about it a few seasons later that's deeply self-referential - or they have a conversation about it and remove some content.

I think this is a big part of it, too. I'm exactly the type who's pretty sensitive to whatever offensive stuff, racism/misogyny/transphobia etc, but think of it this way- I really only have so much time & emotional energy to get upset by this stuff. I just don't have the energy to be bothered every single time someone uses a slur. I wouldn't be able to live like that.

When there's an entertainer who, like you say, doubles down on it, and makes bigotry a key part of their identity, and every single time I see or hear from them I know I'm gonna have to listen to a five minute rant about why actually, bigotry is good and funny... then I'm just gonna stop watching or listening to their stuff. (hi Dave)

But with Sunny, it feels like they are at least AWARE that the poo poo they do is bonkers hosed up, and they make some kind of effort not to be total monsters. So even if I see, say, lovely t-word jokes in one episode, I can keep watching with SOME hope that it'll get better. Maybe not every episode will reinforce casual bigotry, maybe they'll actually have something positive to say from time to time. (in their own way lol) And they generally have.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I get why someone wouldn't actually want to watch the episodes with the rough language. But really they didn't do anything wrong when they actually made the episodes. Although the jokes were certainly off color and edgy in the mid 2000s... It wasn't the get cancelled bitch it would be now... I'm not really sure it's that productive to look at past media with 2020 lenses and judge it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

biracial bear for uncut posted:

They all have some pretty impressive ability to recover from physical injury though.

Except Dennis, when the keg exploded. He's like a chicken pot pie down there.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The Sean posted:

As an example for the rest of the thread, conservative astroturf personalities like Crowder, Shapiro, and so forth are horrible human beings who say horrible poo poo all the time and their audience eats it up. A classic feature of fascists are that they say or do horrible things and pretend that they were "just joking" (the okay hand symbol for white supremacy, for instance). Recently, in "celebration" of MLK day, Steven Crowder talked about (I'm not linking it) how MLK was having sex with "crack whores." His crew and audience laugh at this "joke." On top of Crowder being a racist it's also inaccurate because crack wasn't around when MLK was alive. So, it's just lazy racist word association that MLK's prostitutes were crack whores because they were black (I guess, I haven't looked at the roster). It is funny to laugh at Crowder because he's a piece of poo poo, like the Sunny characters, but enjoying the actual racist joke means you're garbage, too.

how the gently caress does this have anything to do with sunny?

c-spam is thattaway, brother

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, how the gently caress does a post that explicitly ties into the discussion this thread is having have anything to do with this thread???

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Times up! Times up! Times up!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There is nothing in common between laughing at a Steven Crowder bit and an episode of IAS and if you think there is you have absolutely overdosed on politics forums

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CPColin posted:

Yeah, how the gently caress does a post that explicitly ties into the discussion this thread is having have anything to do with this thread???

I mean you are definitely not going to have a productive discussion of this in what is effectively a fanboy thread

Not hating it’s just what these threads are

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
watching always sunny and shaking my head the whole time so people on the bus know I disagree with the caricatures of bad people

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i have no idea who steven crowder is. sounds like a jabroni.

moist turtleneck posted:

watching always sunny and shaking my head the whole time so people on the bus know I disagree with the caricatures of bad people

:vince:

:perfect:

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 21, 2022

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
just to beat people to it I'm just copying this tweet

https://twitter.com/metalgearobama/status/1344102150259974150?s=20

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

moist turtleneck posted:

watching always sunny and breathing directly into someone's mouth the whole time so people on the bus know I disagree with the caricatures of bad people

Fixed

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love it so much that they brought that character back 10 years later

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

The Sean posted:

Which "this generation" are you talking about?

One side hides behind fearmorngering and plausible deniability while painting their hosts as the good guys, the other shows terrible people on purpose to highlight lovely behaviors. You'll find way more PoC fans of Sunny than Crowder, because one is blatantly satire and one is not.

moist turtleneck posted:

I love it so much that they brought that character back 10 years later

Same with the welfare store lady.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

moist turtleneck posted:

You don't get praise for telling people you're not racist.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

XboxPants posted:

that is indeed :thejoke: in the post you quoted

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

XboxPants posted:

Hmm, well I have a certificate on my wall that says I'm not a racist that a friend gave to me. I have to ask, do you have such a certificate? No? Well then... How do we know you're not a racist?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hmm, well I have a certificate on my wall that says I'm not a racist that a friend gave to me. I have to ask, do you have such a certificate? No? Well then... How do we know you're not a racist?

Did he say he was a racist? ...Well his phone did!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Carthag Tuek posted:

that is indeed :thejoke: in the post you quoted

I think they were quoting the show, when Mac was "graciously stepping down" from the role of Murtaugh

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

That certificate says "not donkey-brained". Your illiteracy has screwed us again!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

FireWorksWell posted:

One side hides behind fearmorngering and plausible deniability while painting their hosts as the good guys, the other shows terrible people on purpose to highlight lovely behaviors. You'll find way more PoC fans of Sunny than Crowder, because one is blatantly satire and one is not.

Yeah, duh. It's on topic with regards to how people discuss lovely things and I was demonstrating a contrast of watching something to enjoy being lovely to people versus the actual comedy consumption of people using slurs, blackface, trans slur, etc. We're in agreeance.

ShoogaSlim posted:

how the gently caress does this have anything to do with sunny?

Read the thread you dumbass.

Speaking of dumbasses, I see posts on social media every once in a while where a dumbass will say "I don't like Sunny now that it's getting political. I'm not a fan anymore." lol it's always been commenting on sociopolitical issues.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FireWorksWell posted:

I think they were quoting the show, when Mac was "graciously stepping down" from the role of Murtaugh

oh poo poo, thats true lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Sean posted:

Yeah, duh. It's on topic with regards to how people discuss lovely things and I was demonstrating a contrast of watching something to enjoy being lovely to people versus the actual comedy consumption of people using slurs, blackface, trans slur, etc. We're in agreeance.

Speaking of dumbasses, I see posts on social media every once in a while where a dumbass will say "I don't like Sunny now that it's getting political. I'm not a fan anymore." lol it's always been commenting on sociopolitical issues.

Yeah but now they are pointing out how lovely my beliefs are.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Roxy has risen from the dead and cleaned up a little bit to appear as a mom on Euphoria:

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah but now they are pointing out how lovely my beliefs are.

Hahaha, exactly.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 21, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The Sean posted:

I assume the person posting that on social media is racist/homophobic/transphobic/a piece of poo poo in some way

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

RC Cola posted:

I assume the person posting that on social media is racist/homophobic/transphobic/a piece of poo poo in some way

100% true*. On topic for this discussion, too, as "does this hold up still, is it okay in various cases for Sunny to be lovely since they're not endorsing it but it could be interpreted as gross?" as the OP (paraphrasing) asked. If irl racists/homophobes/etc are jumping ship then it's some evidence that the show is doing something right.

*also almost always teenage/early 20s white boys or middle aged white guys with profile photos of them in wraparound sunglasses doing a selfie in their car.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
funny all the self-righteous people in here judging ASIP characters when a) they rarely do anything worse than things we all do all the time and b) you never walked a mile in their shoes so you really don't know how it is for them, do you?

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
What are you doing to me? Why are you doing this? You've been riding me, now you're accusing me of things. You just don't get it. You don't know why I do the things that I do. It's nuts. You don't know how hard I've got it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Khanstant posted:

funny all the self-righteous people in here judging ASIP characters when a) they rarely do anything worse than things we all do all the time and b) you never walked a mile in their shoes so you really don't know how it is for them, do you?

best episode 100%

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Frank and Mac in the movie theater with the laser pointer always cracks me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiAY20P-EjA

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Charlie explaining his nightly routine and then Frank bursting into the room to wordlessly play out exactly what he says was one of the scenes that sold me on this show.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

Brevity is not exactly my strong suit but bear with me because there's something I've been trying to put into words for a couple of days now regarding Sunny and edgy humour. Basically, I've been rewatching a lot of older episodes and finding it increasingly difficult to justify enjoying the jokes and storylines.

Maybe it's the evolution of the zeitgeist, or my own growth as a person (although I haven't exactly done much of that in the past year). But previously, I used to justify to others (and maybe also to myself) that The Gang largely 'gets a pass' for jokes based in reprehensible, regressive humour "because it's well-established from day one that they're all horrible, narcissistic people." And that's true, I mean you couldn't throw a Sunny plotline about homophobia into another sitcom mid-season and expect people not to protest it. And you kind of have to explain that to a first-time Sunny watcher, don't you?

But someone upthread pointed out to me that the idea that Charlie is 'the lovable harmless one' (the impetus for writing 'Charlie & Dee Find Love') is wrong from the get-go; the entire plot of the fourth episode of the entire series is him gaslighting his friends into thinking he has cancer so he can bang the Waitress (gently caress, half the episodes in season 1 are about Charlie being a sociopath). And I've been watching earlier seasons lately with that thought in mind. How did they get away with this stuff, was it because the show was so under-the-RADAR in the first little while that this understanding was firmed up without any calls from activists to cancel the show? Do you suppose this fed their egos as writers, leading us to such gems of dialog as "rape you until the room stinks" or "look out, human being"?

Even when the joke isn't on the characters being monstrous, there's some surprising stuff in the early seasons. In 'Mac & Dennis: Manhunters', when Charlie and Dee think they've been eating human, they wonder for a moment about where to go to get "weird meats." The camera cuts to a shot of Chinatown, at which presumably we're supposed to laugh.

I don't really know if I'm making a point here at all, I just find it very confusing. Maybe the most confusing recurring plot is that of Carmen, and Mac's relationship with her. Right off the bat, her presence is there as some sort of foil (is that the wrong word?) to Mac as a confused gay man. And her return in later episodes brings some genuinely thoughtful and surprisingly progressive commentary from the Gang. But they still throw around the word "tranny" like it's her name.

Again, I dunno. I'm not going to stop enjoying the show or anything crazy, it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television. It's just a thought.

You are dumb as a bug

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Can you believe the poo poo Bart Simpson gets away with

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Dongicus posted:

You are dumb as a bug

Shut up babydick

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dongicus posted:

Can you believe the poo poo Bart Simpson gets away with

remind me to quote this in 2 pages so i can lay down a sick burn

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FireWorksWell posted:

Charlie explaining his nightly routine and then Frank bursting into the room to wordlessly play out exactly what he says was one of the scenes that sold me on this show.

Seriously, the way he just woofs down that cat food and then dives into the bed is loving amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

drunken officeparty posted:

Shut up babydick

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=273