Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Panfilo, thanks for answering my questions, maybe I'll hold off on the DLC until they patch it. According to what you're saying, it doesn't sound like it's balanced/tuned just yet. Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on this? I guess using my Radiant mode campaign as the "guinea pig" to test out the effects of the crimson curse is the way to go.

It's odd that the game expects you to grind through old content to gain access to the new stuff. I can see the argument being made either way, they probably want new players/returning players to check out the existing dungeons, but I agree that having fast access to vampires would be the most fun. For people like yourself who have beaten the game and just wanna see the new poo poo, it does sound a bit annoying.

Wow, the new wandering boss could potentially be on par with a Chambler Shambler encounter? That's nuts, if that's in a Veteran/Apprentice dungeon, that's way too much. If it's a Champion boss, that's more reasonable. Have you beaten the Wandering boss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Is it mathematically possible to make a pew bleed?

This will be my greatest challenge yet...

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

What determines infestation? It sounds like it should be influenced by cursed heroes if it isn't.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So I saw the message that treating guys with the crimson curse for stress or afflictions or whatever can spread it to other people in the same building, but does it also spread if they're just in your roster?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jedah posted:

Panfilo, thanks for answering my questions, maybe I'll hold off on the DLC until they patch it. According to what you're saying, it doesn't sound like it's balanced/tuned just yet. Anyone else have thoughts/opinions on this? I guess using my Radiant mode campaign as the "guinea pig" to test out the effects of the crimson curse is the way to go.

It's odd that the game expects you to grind through old content to gain access to the new stuff. I can see the argument being made either way, they probably want new players/returning players to check out the existing dungeons, but I agree that having fast access to vampires would be the most fun. For people like yourself who have beaten the game and just wanna see the new poo poo, it does sound a bit annoying.

Wow, the new wandering boss could potentially be on par with a Chambler Shambler encounter? That's nuts, if that's in a Veteran/Apprentice dungeon, that's way too much. If it's a Champion boss, that's more reasonable. Have you beaten the Wandering boss?

If you're not sending out more than 1 infected character per mission the Fanatic isn't an issue and blood supplies really aren't either. If you like to continuously run your favorites and they get infected you may have a bad time, but if you play a diversified roster you're probably not going to run into many problems.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

What does trigger the Fanatic? I read somewhere that he has a 50% chance of showing up with two cursed dudes and guaranteed if they are all cursed, but I took a completely vampire party for a stroll and didn't encounter him.

Lucky me in that case, if its true that he would get 4 actions a turn for that. Last time he ambushed me he toasted my hellion. :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jedah posted:

I'd say give it a shot, but go in with a new save because it's more fun that way in my opinion.

The hamlets infestation progresses from light, to medium, to high. X weeks have to pass for it to get more severe. It feels kind of long. I guess it helps stretch out the time so people don't blaze through the content too fast, but I'm hoping they at least give players a way to control it by accelerating or stalling the rate of infestation.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So I saw the message that treating guys with the crimson curse for stress or afflictions or whatever can spread it to other people in the same building, but does it also spread if they're just in your roster?

No, that doesn't happen.

I can see how it's tricky to balance, but I haven't had problems with the Blood supply until I had about 10-12 infected people, and that was with multiple all-infected runs in the Courtyard. Once I reached that point, though, I think I would have lost a few people if I hadn't taken out the Baron that week.

Getting 2-3 people infected at regular runs sucks, but what you can do is bring a bunch of holy water and buff yourself when you encounter bloodsuckers.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 23, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Soup du Journey posted:

You might need to put it in the crimson court subdirectory for it to stick. It works just like the base game dir, wit its own /campaign/buildings/ etc etc that supersedes the vanilla stuff when the dlc is enabled

Aha! Didn't even think of that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

This will be my greatest challenge yet...

Crimson court has a plague doc trinket with +35% bleed. A level 2 plague doc with that + bloody herb should have a 5-10% chance to proc bleed on a crit.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And have the flagellant's bleed resist debuff, unless the pews have 200 debuff resist.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Interestingly, the jar of mercury trinket is like a 'slayer' ring but better, because it gives +25% damage vs bloodsuckers but has no malus, which sounds like a no-brainer to take into the Crimson Courtyard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Panfilo posted:

Interestingly, the jar of mercury trinket is like a 'slayer' ring but better, because it gives +25% damage vs bloodsuckers but has no malus, which sounds like a no-brainer to take into the Crimson Courtyard.

Yeah I got one of those from an early mission and its obviously been of immense help. Even outside of the Courtyard its nice to take a long on heroes that don't have anything great since the stupid bugs start showing up everywhere at high infestation.

That's one odd thing I've noticed about the DLC; every new enemy I've seen has been a Bloodsucker and nothing else. Its weird given most enemies fit into dual categories. Don't tell me that rear end in a top hat crocodile doesn't also qualify as a beast.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh I was hoping they would add unholy

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I try not to suggest new mechanics I think would be outside the existing mechanics or spirit of the game, but this idea is stuck in my craw and I need to share it.

Dismissed Crimson Curse party members should be added to a pool of enemies to be added into Court encounters. The architecture for it already exists in the Siren fight and it would disincentivize firing anyone that comes down with a taste for the kool aid. Plus, what better fate for them to than to wander aimlessly around the outskirts of the hamlet, looking for their next fix.

I was having this same thought, actually.

Also, didn't they fix this?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Nope I had an alcoholic who refused to drink in a previous save

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Not only did they not fix it, but it also screws over the Flagellant because he ONLY flagellates but can get negative quirks only letting him drink. This prevents him from using ANY stress relief buildings.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've always hated how you can get negative (and to a lesser extent positive) quirks completely randomly. With some it makes sense, but with quirks involving specific areas or activities its totally random. Why would I ever get a cove perk when exploring the ruins? Why is my character afraid of beasts when she spent the whole mission getting stabbed by skeletons? How the hell did one of them develop a love interest in the warrens???

It kills my ~immersion~ and the randomness of it prevents it from seeming like your characters are actually developing personalities due to their adventures.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Okay. Just now beat Crimson Court mission 2. Spoilers ahead.

So how exactly were you supposed to do this boss fight? I went super aggro in phase one because I saw the pods blocking healing and wanted that poo poo to end, but after I wiped the field and brought back the Baron he went full schizoid on me, busting out 8 damage full AoE attacks and a single attack that does 35 stress damage across raw and horror. I wound up losing EVERYONE but my flagellant halfway through and spent roughly 40 turns tanking a bunch of death door procs and responding with Exsanguinate. Sure I won, but it feels like a hollow victory considering how I lamed it out super hard and I don't know how I'm supposed to get around the raw damage output of The Baron.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah he seems super hard. I didn't lose anyone but had one deathblow resist which always makes me feel like I really lost the fight. I also probably would of lost horribly if my Vestal and Plague Doc didn't both get virtues. Forced Discipline inflicts huge stress damage, high raw damage, a bleed, and it moves you forward.Its ridiculous.

MaA seems ideal for the fight because he can guard allies, move forward with a stun, and riposte the Baron's AOE. Crowd Pleaser also does significantly more damage to the front row than the back so stacking prot on him will reduce damage by a lot. However I'm not sure how you can manage the stress damage with any hero. Its just too loving high.

I guess they listened to everyone that said the bosses in the base game were too easy because this DLC is brutal. Like compare the difficulty of the Necromancer to any boss here.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 23, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Highwang posted:

Okay. Just now beat Crimson Court mission 2. Spoilers ahead.

So how exactly were you supposed to do this boss fight? I went super aggro in phase one because I saw the pods blocking healing and wanted that poo poo to end, but after I wiped the field and brought back the Baron he went full schizoid on me, busting out 8 damage full AoE attacks and a single attack that does 35 stress damage across raw and horror. I wound up losing EVERYONE but my flagellant halfway through and spent roughly 40 turns tanking a bunch of death door procs and responding with Exsanguinate. Sure I won, but it feels like a hollow victory considering how I lamed it out super hard and I don't know how I'm supposed to get around the raw damage output of The Baron.

one tactic people do is to focus on one egg at a time, so you don't have to deal with multiple enemies. DoT on eggs carries over to the target so bleed is vertu useful.

You're forced to deal with multiple enemies if you want to heal, or focus on damage in the hopes an egg pops revealing Baron and you can burn him down till he burrows again. Oh, and I think Judgement gets disabled too which really makes the Vestal semi useless in this phase.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Hit the eggs one at a time, preferably opening with a heavy dot from the flagellant or plague doctor. I've found using buffs with other characters pretty useful at that phase. Once you find the Baron, you'll have to decide if you can focus him down or pop the remaining eggs to enable your heals again.

Also, once you reach the boss room you can easily retreat and come back with fresh heroes and an inventory full of combat supplies. CC bosses are similar to the Shrieker in that way, and I presume they're balanced around that assumption, not for tackling them with an already stressed and injured party.

Edit: Thinking about it now, there's nothing stopping you from stacking up to three buffs on your team with each character who can, before you start popping eggs in each phase of the combat.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 23, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah I was gonna suggest bringing a second group specifically for the boss so you have a fresh group.

Its really neat how you can leave and come back, paving the way for future groups by unlocking doors for them and saving curios. They could've made DD3 AND DD4 Merged together and work this way. In spite of being roughly the same size, the Crimson Court dungeons feel much more arduous than belly of the beast.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
By the way, is the Plague Doctor terribly useful in the Crimson Court? Many enemies have pretty high stun and blight resistance, so I feel like her main utility would be relegated toward using Battlefield Medicine to remove bleeds on people and Incision to apply bleeds toward enemies. Compared to someone like the Hellion, I feel like she's just not that hot in this particular area.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Panfilo posted:

By the way, is the Plague Doctor terribly useful in the Crimson Court? Many enemies have pretty high stun and blight resistance, so I feel like her main utility would be relegated toward using Battlefield Medicine to remove bleeds on people and Incision to apply bleeds toward enemies. Compared to someone like the Hellion, I feel like she's just not that hot in this particular area.

Knife for offense, Battlefield Medicine for some of the brutal bleeds, and the shuffle stun for pulling back trow enemies like the Courtesan or Chevalier. The latter is probably my favorite skill of the PD due to how much utility it has.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Head up, Makaris, 'Bloodlight' basically counts any 'high' light thresholds as being valid, so trinkets like Sun Ring, Sun Cloak, and Bright Tambourine are always 'active'!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I had both set trinkets, one of which gave her something like +35% disease resist. She's pretty good at resisting the Curse that way. I only brought her for the Boss fight, her blight wasn't any noticably less effective than bleeds there. It's only the flea/tick head enemies that are really resistant to stun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Panfilo posted:

I've found her to be extremely valuable, with one big exception. The court has painful bleed and blight DOTs that can hit multiple party members, so battlefield medicine is really nice for preventing damage. Also the enemies don't really have high stun or blight resist. I haven't had any trouble blighting or stunning them. I've even manage to chain stun some enemies with the witch's vial trinket equipped.

I'd say she would be one of the best heroes to bring if it wasn't for one glaring problem; the loving croc. She's pretty bad against him. His constant shuffling makes hitting him unreliable and he actually does have high blight resist, so without a blight trinket its really hard damage him. She also suffers a lot from getting pulled into the front row.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Hannibal Rex posted:

I had both set trinkets, one of which gave her something like +35% disease resist. She's pretty good at resisting the Curse that way. I only brought her for the Boss fight, her blight wasn't any noticably less effective than bleeds there. It's only the flea/tick head enemies that are really resistant to stun.

What's her set? I've only seen one that gives her significant disease resist, which I suppose is good for an uninfected Plague Doctor to remain healthy through the various stages of infestation of the Hamlet.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Speaking of which, I think they did a pretty good job of the sets so far. The main benefit is they tend to have less maluses than taking two ordinary trinkets, and the two different set items tend to give different bonuses. But at the same time, some trinkets already seem to mesh well with an existing class-specific trinket if you wanted to specialize instead. Like the Occultist has one that improves stun/move/debuff chance, and you could combine that with Demonic Cauldron if you wished to have him in the second row with a really high stun and debuff chance. Or you could stick with his set to keep him versatile and get the set bonus. Same thing with the Leper; Last Will and Testament can stack with a Tough Ring, or you can use his whistle to get the set bonus (extra ACC when your health is high) which isn't too bad.

Some of the set bonuses are minor, like the equivalent of a third uncommon trinket. But some are fairly unique and good, like the Houndmaster getting bonuses vs bleeding enemies, the Man at Arms getting bonuses to Riposite, the Crusader getting +20% HP or the Arbalest getting like +25 PROT.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I can't tell you the exact stats off the top of my head; the second item gives a significant boost to her damage (25%), bleed chance, and I think melee accuracy. The set bonus gives a minor boost to blight and stun.

Actually, does anyone know if the set bonus is only counted once, or twice if you have the complete set? If it's the latter, the bonuses aren't that minor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Eh, the balance on the trinkets seem really off. Some of them have downsides while giving moderate benefits while others are extremely powerful with no negatives. It doesn't seem right.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Hannibal Rex posted:

I can't tell you the exact stats off the top of my head; the second item gives a significant boost to her damage (25%), bleed chance, and I think melee accuracy. The set bonus gives a minor boost to blight and stun.

Actually, does anyone know if the set bonus is only counted once, or twice if you have the complete set? If it's the latter, the bonuses aren't that minor.

Its counted once, it glows bright green when you have both trinkets. That makes sense for the Plague Doctor, since the other trinket could probably get stacked with Bloody Herb (which it sounds extremely similar to)

Internet Kraken posted:

Eh, the balance on the trinkets seem really off. Some of them have downsides while giving moderate benefits while others are extremely powerful with no negatives. It doesn't seem right.

Every set has one trinket that has maluses, and one that doesn't. The Grave Robber's set, for example is Sharpened Letter Opener which gives +25% dmg melee skills and maybe something else (I can't remember) but no downsides, and the other is Absinthe, which has like a health malus but increases her blight chance/resistance. Its the same for many others. But some have a really manageable malus; the Crusader gets a bunch of nice support bonuses- prot, move resist, stress resist, etc all for -2 speed.

But if you were to stack the non-malus trinket with its existing counterpart, you're still getting a malus on the other trinket. And given that they nerfed a lot of other trinkets anyway, I think it is reasonable.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 23, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Now I gotta really wonder about the intro; is the woman in the Ancestor's bed the Waif, the Hag, or the Countess?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Just watched Baer fight the new Fanatic boss with a completely unprepared party. It was glorious:

(Mega spoilers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rOnqeawSJ4&t=3050s

I didn't know anything about this boss, looks loving nuts.

Also, Red Hook asked Baer to do the voice acting work for the Fanatic, which is really cool.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bogart posted:

And have the flagellant's bleed resist debuff, unless the pews have 200 debuff resist.

They do.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
LMAO@345% move resist. Good luck getting some mover to budge that fuckin' pew that's for sure haha

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the pews scurry around the field of combat, interposing themselves between the prophet and his enemies

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm just thinking of the ubiquitous piece of furniture that the errant barefoot denizen will inevitably stub his toe upon.

"WEAKENED, DIMINISHED!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Sacred Scroll is totally useless now :(