Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
abolish the cbc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Au contraire, all of said thing are in fact good thing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What does the CBC do that npr or the BBC don't do much better? Produce tons of lovely comedies only white trash boomers enjoy

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cultural Imperial posted:

What does the CBC do that npr or the BBC don't do much better? Produce tons of lovely comedies only white trash boomers enjoy

Excuse me, sir! They produced Little Mosque on the Prairie, a lovely comedy which no one enjoyed, least of all white trash boomers.

EDIT: So proud right now:

http://www.660news.com/2016/04/29/officer-loses-magazine-and-ammo-in-south-calgary/

gently caress me running...

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

They gave Kevin O'Leary the platform from which he launched another 10 year conservative dynasty, bless CBC.

E: a little live ammunition never hurt anyone

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
How about that documentary series "Trailer Park Boys"?

Or was that another network? I have no T.V.

If CBC sucks, look who's been running it..

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

TPB started on ShowCase.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PT6A posted:

Excuse me, sir! They produced Little Mosque on the Prairie, a lovely comedy which no one enjoyed, least of all white trash boomers.

EDIT: So proud right now:

http://www.660news.com/2016/04/29/officer-loses-magazine-and-ammo-in-south-calgary/

gently caress me running...

If he had lost his gun, huge deal.

It's bullets. And a mag that only fits a glock. That cop is getting poo poo because he lost serialized kit, but there's literally zero public danger.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

Carleton has improved its reputation a lot over the last decade but even when it was last chance u the journalism school had a great reputation.

It's too bad people are still going to school for journalism when there are no job prospects in actual journalism. The entire industry is in decline and is adopting poorly to the loss of their traditional revenue streams. I bet they are all going to be 30k in debt working at Starbucks, part time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AIUI a fair number of people go from J-school into PR, for which there are indeed a fair number of positions out there.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

jm20 posted:

It's too bad people are still going to school for journalism when there are no job prospects in actual journalism. The entire industry is in decline and is adopting poorly to the loss of their traditional revenue streams. I bet they are all going to be 30k in debt working at Starbucks, part time.
Someone has to write the in-line advertisements masquerading as real news.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Wishful thinking, they will graduate and fight over the 20 entry level 5 years experience positions to work for 37k with no benefits

Ed: what am I talkingabout they will be working as social media experts posting witty one liners on Twitter for even less

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

princess patricia canadian light infantry in battle dress tactical diapers

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I liked little mosque.

Hello goodbye is unwatchable garbage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/investigations/investigation-canada-companyscholorships/article29808916/

quote:

A pharmacist and military wife, she had inquired about the organization’s scholarship program for children of fallen soldiers. Her husband, a respected infantry officer who did tours in Somalia, Bosnia, Haiti and Afghanistan, had died nearly five months earlier, on a chilly overcast morning in Kingston, in November, 2014.

The sudden death of Captain Brad Elms of the Royal Canadian Regiment shook many in the Canadian Forces. The country’s top commander, General Jonathan Vance, then a lieutenant-general, flew in for his funeral.

“Your husband, and his enormous contribution to our nation, is an account of both great pride and tremendous tragedy for all of Canada, an account that very few Canadians will ever understand,” read the first part of the e-mail to Ms. Elms from Canada Company president Angela Mondou.

Ms. Elms was told her inquiry was carefully considered. But the charity’s three-member scholarship committee – which includes philanthropist Garfield Mitchell, Bay Street legal titan William Braithwaite and Canada Company founder Blake Goldring – concluded that her two children were not eligible for the education fund because the circumstances of her husband’s death did not meet the organization’s scholarship criteria.

The rub is this: Capt. Elms did not die a war hero in Afghanistan. The 51-year-old soldier, one of about 40,000 who served in Canada’s longest military operation, took his life five years after returning from the Kandahar battlefront. He had been treated on and off for major depressive disorder for about a decade. His family believes he also had post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), but he never sought a diagnosis because he worried it would destroy his army career.

We shouldn't be rewarding all these bloodthirsty and reckless adventure seekers by giving their kids scholarships regardless if they commit suicide.

Also, lol canadians who are vietnam war veterans

get hosed idiots

oh no poor bitch rear end went to war with a blood lust and comes home a whimpering coward

quote:

He enlisted in the army right after high school. He did not come from a rich military family background, but he had found a sense of belonging in the cadets program during a difficult stretch in his teen years. His first overseas deployment was to Somalia in December, 1992, with the Canadian Airborne Regiment.

lmao good job captain elms

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Subjunctive posted:

AIUI a fair number of people go from J-school into PR, for which there are indeed a fair number of positions out there.

This, my girlfriend just finished a communications program majoring in journalism and if she can't find a decent job in actual journalism there's a million PR jobs that she could get in an instant.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...21-3809f086abee

quote:

Canada’s Defence Minister, who saw combat as a soldier and investigated gangs as a Vancouver police officer, is urging youth tempted to join gangs linked to a wave of shootings in B.C.’s second-largest city to sign up with the military instead.

hahahah how the gently caress did i miss this

i can't wait until we get the First Royal Surrey Babbar Khalsa Rifles. Regimental mascot can be dahler mendi posing with a c7

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

jm20 posted:

Change "Starbucks" to "Spencer's," and that's exactly what happened to me. There's a pretty decent number of people out of my graduating class who're doing well in the industry, though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

St. Dogbert posted:

Change "Starbucks" to "Spencer's," and that's exactly what happened to me. There's a pretty decent number of people out of my graduating class who're doing well in the industry, though.

Your story is not unique and that is loving bananas. We're pushing people into post secondary debt only to have them come out the other side with 1-3 part time jobs. The actual industry jobs you could get have low pay, crazy requirements, or a combination of the two.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MA-Horus posted:

If he had lost his gun, huge deal.

It's bullets. And a mag that only fits a glock. That cop is getting poo poo because he lost serialized kit, but there's literally zero public danger.

I agree there's no public danger, but it's still sloppy as all gently caress. Ultimately it only made the news because it involves GUNS but we still shouldn't acquiesce to cops just dropping their equipment wherever.

Consider, in comparison, that a law-abiding gun owner can't even stop to take a leak if they're transporting a restricted firearm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jm20 posted:

Your story is not unique and that is loving bananas. We're pushing people into post secondary debt only to have them come out the other side with 1-3 part time jobs. The actual industry jobs you could get have low pay, crazy requirements, or a combination of the two.

Who is pushing their kids to go to J-school?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

Who is pushing their kids to go to J-school?

Most parents just say post secondary, and there are a lot of no job prospect degrees out there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Just laying it out that Cultural Imperial is actually a colossal piece of human garbage, mocking people with PTSD who take their own lives.

Congrats, CI! This is another opinion that puts you squarely in the "You're a loving piece of poo poo" column.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Subjunctive posted:

It's a cliché among journalists that many who get laid off or flee the industry wind up on the other side writing press releases for politicians or local charities.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yeah you're right I totally apologize for deriding a bunch of worthless racists who are completely incapable of being productive members of society except when you give them guns to shoot people on adventures in Africa. Oh no poor babies now have nightmares and can't live with their actions. Let's give them money

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Sorry, are you posting from the alternate universe where NPR hasn't slipped into devoting half of its time to extremist teahadists and the other half to corporatist Democrats and then deciding that the truth must be somewhere in the middle in order to be "balanced"?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Yeah you're right I totally apologize for deriding a bunch of worthless racists who are completely incapable of being productive members of society except when you give them guns to shoot people on adventures in Africa. Oh no poor babies now have nightmares and can't live with their actions. Let's give them money

Well, you're actually giving the kids the money.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Sorry gently caress em too

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Apology accepted.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...21-3809f086abee

hahahah how the gently caress did i miss this

i can't wait until we get the First Royal Surrey Babbar Khalsa Rifles. Regimental mascot can be dahler mendi posing with a c7

you mean the corvette, not the rifle, right?

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

jm20 posted:

Yeah, it's a tough go for most people in J-school. You have to work for free for quite some time before you get considered for any kind of position, and quite a lot of people simply can't afford to do that.

Of course, I'm not looking for sympathy or anything. More than a few of the people I graduated with are doing very well for themselves in journalism, because they went full-bore after it from the get-go, doing internships or freelancing from first-year on. I didn't do that, and thus haven't experienced the same success. I had every advantage in the world, and frittered it away on a series of atrocious decisions (a sentence which could apply to literally any facet of my life thus far, and which is probably going to wind up on my tombstone). It's my friends who couldn't work for free because they had kids to support or because their families couldn't help them out financially whom I consider to have received the raw deal from the system.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I thought of something terrible to say about you CI, but it would get me probated or banned for sure.

So you can keep on being a piece of poo poo, I'll just remind you of it.

You're a piece of poo poo.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

MA-Horus posted:

I thought of something terrible to say about you CI, but it would get me probated or banned for sure.

So you can keep on being a piece of poo poo, I'll just remind you of it.

You're a piece of poo poo.

u mad bro

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I dunno if he's mad but he's definitely getting an unhealthy thrill out of this.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Nope, not mad. You're just a piece of poo poo.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea I'm gonna have to agree with CI on this one, if you can't handle the murder then don't sign up for murderers Inc you stupid idiots. You're not defending our country, you're just making the world lovely.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

ChairMaster posted:

Yea I'm gonna have to agree with CI on this one, if you can't handle the murder then don't sign up for murderers Inc you stupid idiots. You're not defending our country, you're just making the world lovely.

I'm torn between this, but also the knowledge that it ain't quite right to atavistically punish children.

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

http://opcatalyst.net/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL7oHdP99lQ&t=193s

RCMP's organized harassment has gone too far! First they started with organized police stalking, and now they have crisis actors doing staged accidents. I mean, look at this obvious RCMP crisis actor, you can tell by his sunglasses and toque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0BRZaJQQoo&t=212s

Okay fess up, which one of you guys is this guy?

P-Value Hack fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 29, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Anyone who has an attitude toward CI that isn't a mixture of bemusement and condescending pity should really take a few days off posting and enjoy the nice spring weather that has finally arrived. How do you possibly feel offended by someone who is so obviously miserable all of the time? Are you genuinely offended by the ranting homeless guy on the sidewalk who says that the Jews made up the holocaust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Helsing posted:

Anyone who has an attitude toward CI that isn't a mixture of bemusement and condescending pity should really take a few days off posting and enjoy the nice spring weather that has finally arrived. How do you possibly feel offended by someone who is so obviously miserable all of the time? Are you genuinely offended by the ranting homeless guy on the sidewalk who says that the Jews made up the holocaust?

This, but with more ridicule and less pity.