Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

the cat is SC backers

the stream is SC promises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Bootcha posted:

I can only speak from personal experience, so this is subject to "dude, you're nuts".

I like Garriott. Or at least, I WANT to like Garriott. I've met him in person, I've seen his ancient punch card displays, and I've heard him talk game theory in private. The guy knows what to do, to the extent that he can admit he's wrong about something. He doesn't like binary moral choices, but he acknowledged Mass Effect did binary choice in a meaningful way, and that he had to reconsider individual choices. And the man has organized full blown charities, like I volunteered one of them, not the Scare for the Cure but the more STEM focused one, I think it was for the local AISD teachers charity. I look at Shroud of the Avatar and think, "Man, if only Garriott embraced limitation." And I feel sad he's reduced to selling Portalarium securities and doing funding telethons, because there's a genuine capacity in Garriott to do good.

It just looks like he tried to do too much.

Roberts on the other hand, I've never heard about his charities. Or his workplace good nature. Or rarely the response from ex-Origin folk that doesn't start with "Oh that motherfucker?"

Garriott kinda ruined himself, with Tabula Rasa, the online poker, and the hoarders thing they were working on. But I've never heard Garriott blame ANYONE but himself for terrible gameplay.

What I'm saying is Roberts ruined everything, not Goons.

Drunk namaste.

Tabula Rasa was supported and defended by the same insufferable militant fanboyism surrounding the cult of Garriott as surrounds Roberts.

Both of these guys leverage their personality to energise and monetise a fanbase.

Garriott admits responsibility for bad gameplay design, but part of me thinks that's just so he can wipe the slate and move onto the next thing.

Both of these guys look at their hyper fanbases and hyper funding and think 'wow, the sky's the limit', and that's why they don't recognise any limitation - and limitation breeds creativity.

When you're limited and your back is against the wall you get smart or you get hosed.

CIG don't appear to see any limitations with the funding, deadlines, support or the tech - 'smart' doesn't even come into the equation with them.

It's a creative process, you need limitation and freedom in equal measure. Everyone who has created anything knows what I'm talking about and the Star Citizen fanbase gives Chris Roberts carte blanche so he never, ever, EVER needs to get smart.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
They sure are trying to get Smart to shut up.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

why do you all post so badly

It's Terrible Thursday

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

Guilty, although to be fair I'm taking your jobs and women. Well, one job and one woman. The job isn't that good, but the woman is tops.

no you see the us is missing hundreds of thousands of it workers and cant staff all the it jobs so we need labor from other countries for reasons...

(Some of my best Programmers are H1B folk, but that doesn't make the reason behind the program any more ridiculous)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Citation needed.

seriously dude why're you still torturing yourself defending this terrible game in this terrible place

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SomethingJones posted:

Tabula Rasa was supported and defended by the same insufferable militant fanboyism surrounding the cult of Garriott as surrounds Roberts.

Both of these guys leverage their personality to energise and monetise a fanbase.

Garriott admits responsibility for bad gameplay design, but part of me thinks that's just so he can wipe the slate and move onto the next thing.

Both of these guys look at their hyper fanbases and hyper funding and think 'wow, the sky's the limit', and that's why they don't recognise any limitation - and limitation breeds creativity.

When you're limited and your back is against the wall you get smart or you get hosed.

CIG don't appear to see any limitations with the funding, deadlines, support or the tech - 'smart' doesn't even come into the equation with them.

It's a creative process, you need limitation and freedom in equal measure. Everyone who has created anything knows what I'm talking about and the Star Citizen fanbase gives Chris Roberts carte blanche so he never, ever, EVER needs to get smart.

There is some irony there, as the franchises that Chris Roberts is stealing from, and that his fanbase worships, were built on limitations. All the best parts of Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. were because they couldn't do what the director wanted - they had to get creative.

I think a big part of what makes movies so sterile in the last decade or two is that CGI allows directors to translate their thoughts to the screen 1:1 - and we see just how poo poo their ideas really are.

With CIG we have a situation where the guy in charge is also the limitation itself, so Chris has to work around Chris, which seems to be introducing some impossible logical convergence.

Buy more ships.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Six AM posted:

Because they are mostly euro dorks.

how does that matter

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

how does that matter

90% of them are literally Hitler German Audtiors Goons

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

It was more that Tabula Rasa tested out really badly with the players and they didn't have much opportunity to fix some of the mechanics that fell victim to cheats; NCSoft's removal of Garriott when he was in orbit has to go down as one of the more spectacular firings in the pre-twitter age. NCSoft are the place where MMOs go to be packaged, monetized and eventually die.

The periodic base attacks were actually pretty good as they allowed a certain amount of agency, but it never really progressed out of the rut that was MMOs of the time or developed the mechanics beyond a ditzy space language (LOGOS) that was a collectathon for runes. I really like the area around the huge tree, because it was something slightly different, but it was painfully cookie cutter.

Hellgate London had many of the same problems and was contemporaneous, but they were expecting a revenue stream rather than the 'hump' that they had when people didn't want to farm purples over and over on maps that didn't change that much. Time investment was actually something back then, rather than 'snackable' gaming on devices that people carry around.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I can't believe I just read the last 7 pages

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

seriously dude why're you still torturing yourself defending this terrible game in this terrible place

Fly, fly pretty bird. Be free to compare bitcoin strats.

how does that matter

Euro dork spotted.

sharknado slashfic posted:

This is not a new sensation for many, many of us.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Iceclaw posted:

They sure are trying to get Smart to shut up.

The stupidest loving thing CIG ever did was give Derek his money back and eject him from the game. And then they lied about why they did it.

That tells me everything I need to know right there. It tells me how they deal with a critic who has more reach than a normal sperg on their forum.

The best anyone can come up with in all the years I've been on here is 'but your game is poo poo Derek', really? That's the best you can can come up with?

He knows the loving PROCESS at the very least. He understands the tech and its limitations. He knows how long a thing will take. That's more than I will ever know.

And when Bootcha noped his hard earned the gently caress out of the project? How many fucks did CIG give about that? Not a single one, they were glad to see the back of another critic.

And when backers first started asking for refunds? CIG asked them, 'is this because of something you read on the internet'

They have removed critics from sight of the project and they have attempted to manage the effect of that criticism on the remaining backers.

Derek isn't the only game dev who not only is critical of CIG but outright laughing at them. That network nonsense that Erin spewed? They haven't got a loving clue, not a clue, not even step 1, not even networking 101.

If anyone wants to sit and write a rebuttal to any one of Derek's criticisms I will sit and read it, learn what I need in order to comprehend it and respond.

I'll tell you right now it won't happen, just cheap digs and blatant twitter insults are the best anyone's come up with in 3 years.

Derek's criticisms of Star Citizen stand unrebutted and not only that but CIG have produced nothing proving him wrong.

The July blog remains as unchallenged non-rebutted truth as far as I can see and the unending, dull, lazy swipes at his game don't do a loving thing to change that.

So there's the challenge, show me where he's wrong because that'll be a drat sight more interesting to read.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

how does that matter

Well, for one, we don't suffer from the delusion that casserole is pizza.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Scruffpuff posted:

There is some irony there, as the franchises that Chris Roberts is stealing from, and that his fanbase worships, were built on limitations. All the best parts of Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. were because they couldn't do what the director wanted - they had to get creative.

I think a big part of what makes movies so sterile in the last decade or two is that CGI allows directors to translate their thoughts to the screen 1:1 - and we see just how poo poo their ideas really are.

With CIG we have a situation where the guy in charge is also the limitation itself, so Chris has to work around Chris, which seems to be introducing some impossible logical convergence.

Buy more ships.

These are two really loving great points. Especially the movie one. There's a great quote from Terry Gilliam about how Holywood crews these days are devoid of personality and creativity and individuality that fits into this somehow

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

It was more that Tabula Rasa tested out really badly with the players and they didn't have much opportunity to fix some of the mechanics that fell victim to cheats; NCSoft's removal of Garriott when he was in orbit has to go down as one of the more spectacular firings in the pre-twitter age. NCSoft are the place where MMOs go to be packaged, monetized and eventually die.

The periodic base attacks were actually pretty good as they allowed a certain amount of agency, but it never really progressed out of the rut that was MMOs of the time or developed the mechanics beyond a ditzy space language (LOGOS) that was a collectathon for runes. I really like the area around the huge tree, because it was something slightly different, but it was painfully cookie cutter.

Hellgate London had many of the same problems and was contemporaneous, but they were expecting a revenue stream rather than the 'hump' that they had when people didn't want to farm purples over and over on maps that didn't change that much. Time investment was actually something back then, rather than 'snackable' gaming on devices that people carry around.

I agree, a lot of that was set in stone and it was bad design. I didn't see how it could ever be fixed and said so, but it was defended regardless. Militantly.

The base attacks were cool as gently caress, that was the most fun part of it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

The stupidest loving thing CIG ever did was give Derek his money back and eject him from the game. And then they lied about why they did it.

That tells me everything I need to know right there. It tells me how they deal with a critic who has more reach than a normal sperg on their forum.

The best anyone can come up with in all the years I've been on here is 'but your game is poo poo Derek', really? That's the best you can can come up with?

He knows the loving PROCESS at the very least. He understands the tech and its limitations. He knows how long a thing will take. That's more than I will ever know.

And when Bootcha noped his hard earned the gently caress out of the project? How many fucks did CIG give about that? Not a single one, they were glad to see the back of another critic.

And when backers first started asking for refunds? CIG asked them, 'is this because of something you read on the internet'

They have removed critics from sight of the project and they have attempted to manage the effect of that criticism on the remaining backers.

Derek isn't the only game dev who not only is critical of CIG but outright laughing at them. That network nonsense that Erin spewed? They haven't got a loving clue, not a clue, not even step 1, not even networking 101.

If anyone wants to sit and write a rebuttal to any one of Derek's criticisms I will sit and read it, learn what I need in order to comprehend it and respond.

I'll tell you right now it won't happen, just cheap digs and blatant twitter insults are the best anyone's come up with in 3 years.

Derek's criticisms of Star Citizen stand unrebutted and not only that but CIG have produced nothing proving him wrong.

The July blog remains as unchallenged non-rebutted truth as far as I can see and the unending, dull, lazy swipes at his game don't do a loving thing to change that.

So there's the challenge, show me where he's wrong because that'll be a drat sight more interesting to read.

I agree with all of this, but the first point is that the refund itself removes the _business relationship_ between the two parties, so if one of them is a famously litigious party with a record for SHOUTING, it's usually a defensive measure to throw a bag of cash out of the window of a moving car. Defending litigation is usually more spendy than triggering it, and when there's form...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Well, for one, we don't suffer from the delusion that casserole is pizza.

Shots fired.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

I agree with all of this, but the first point is that the refund itself removes the _business relationship_ between the two parties, so if one of them is a famously litigious party with a record for SHOUTING, it's usually a defensive measure to throw a bag of cash out of the window of a moving car. Defending litigation is usually more spendy than triggering it, and when there's form...

I get that, but let's have a closer look at their relationships.

Streamers are invited to events. Backers are invited to studio tours. They hire someone to foster relationships with concierge.

They manage and foster relationships with everyone connected with or promoting the revenue stream. That's all normal so far.

A backer writes a blog questioning the claims being made by the project which is fundraising off those claims and is refunded and ejected.

What's litigous? Why isn't it rebutted? Where is the letter from a lawyer that'll cost them, what, $75?

I do see what you're saying but it doesn't fly.

Derek tells Chris it can't be done? Hold my loving beer Derek. You know what, that's exactly what David Braben did.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SomethingJones posted:

I get that, but let's have a closer look at their relationships.

Streamers are invited to events. Backers are invited to studio tours. They hire someone to foster relationships with concierge.

They manage and foster relationships with everyone connected with or promoting the revenue stream. That's all normal so far.

A backer writes a blog questioning the claims being made by the project which is fundraising off those claims and is refunded and ejected.

What's litigous? Why isn't it rebutted? Where is the letter from a lawyer that'll cost them, what, $75?

I do see what you're saying but it doesn't fly.

Derek tells Chris it can't be done? Hold my loving beer Derek. You know what, that's exactly what David Braben did.

It's not one backer though, it's Derek Smart Known Internet Idiot that will not shut up, ever. It cost them whatever his pledge was to sever all ties permanently.

It's not like they don't know who Derek is since he's had beef with Chris since the 90s.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Isn't that basically what happened to batgirl too? She was in too far with the critical US office and became a persona non grata. And they didn't even tell her why! Her videos are sprinkled with (what she claims is not) criticism, so she looses her access.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

big nipples big life posted:

nice, now I can see more bad posts without scrolling.

He said turn, not rotate :colbert:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

Citation needed.

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It could also be in part that a lot of writers and such in present day Hollywood grew up around the movie business and don't really have much experience from interesting lives elsewhere to draw upon.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bofast posted:

It could also be in part that a lot of writers and such in present day Hollywood grew up around the movie business and don't really have much experience from interesting lives elsewhere to draw upon.

It's also because everything has to be a huge blockbuster hit and "Does it play in Peoria?" is still the watchword.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Not 'A backer'. They know the name. We all know the name. If you're in some circles it's not just connected to the 3000AD stuff, but a number of moves since that ended in litigation. He literally threatens it at the drop of a hat. It's worked out well.

What I'm telling you is the reason they broke things in giving the money back; you don't have to believe it, but it IS the reason. They walked away from the contract that they'll hold everyone else to because 'Shady mcFuckwit' doesn't have the same voice as the angriest man in Indie games development, and a lawsuit effects the revenue stream and the _conversation_.

Oh, the 'why isn't it rebutted' should have been answered by the eight page letter from the chairman - that raised more questions than it answered, and is generally considered a 'bad idea' in most circles because it validates the conversation; they've been fighting since that point to invalidate Derek himself - the classic messenger strategy - when that also acknowledges that he has impact.

To summarise; Refute the premise, move on. CiG mistakenly engaged and panicked really early on.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Derek justifying his stupid decisions takes me back to junior high. Good times.

(Reminder that he cried to Lowtax about goons buying him an av like big ol’ meanies.)

Quick reminder that he only did this when people gave him genuinely offensive avatars.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chris's letter was definitely the dumbest thing CIG has done.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Shadowlyger posted:

Quick reminder that he only did this when people gave him genuinely offensive avatars.

:wrong:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shadowlyger posted:

guess they should have stuck with inoffensive holocaust jokes

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

sharknado slashfic posted:

great post/username combo right here

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

big nipples big life posted:

It's not one backer though, it's Derek Smart Known Internet Idiot that will not shut up, ever. It cost them whatever his pledge was to sever all ties permanently.

It's not like they don't know who Derek is since he's had beef with Chris since the 90s.

So only unknown, non-internet-idiots who love Chris Roberts should back this project?

Because that's exactly the message they sent. They only want certain types of customers.

What about people who just want what they're selling?

Why should it matter a gently caress who it is? Is that how you do business? Is that ok with you?

Is that why they want photographic id to join the loving playtesters?

Can nobody grasp what this is? We only want customers who don't question, don't criticise, and don't write blogs about us if they are a well known well connected industry person who might just grok that we are completely full of poo poo?

By ejecting Derek they confirmed all of the above, they knew who he was and what he was talking about.

Why do you think they want photo id? So it doesn't happen again. They'd be better off making them take an iq test or a loving spelling test before spending money on the store, filter out anyone who might realise it's a loving load of bollocks.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shadowlyger posted:

Quick reminder that these were the same offensive style avatars that he bought for several people in this thread he did not like.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

SomethingJones posted:

So only unknown, non-internet-idiots who love Chris Roberts should back this project?
Because that's exactly the message they sent. They only want certain types of customers.

Exactly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Quick reminder that I play video games and enjoy videos and content posted by a dancing cat man and a man(?) wearing a catman helmet

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
They say you melt under pressure, but a snowflake like me doesn't have to worry about that in the vacuum of space :smuggo:

Check Mate CIG CS Staff

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SomethingJones posted:

What about people who just want what they're selling?

Why should it matter a gently caress who it is? Is that how you do business? Is that ok with you?

Is that why they want photographic id to join the loving playtesters?

Can nobody grasp what this is? We only want customers who don't question, don't criticise, and don't write blogs about us if they are a well known well connected industry person who might just grok that we are completely full of poo poo?

By ejecting Derek they confirmed all of the above, they knew who he was and what he was talking about.

Why do you think they want photo id? So it doesn't happen again. They'd be better off making them take an iq test or a loving spelling test before spending money on the store, filter out anyone who might realise it's a loving load of bollocks.

They don't care what he was talking about, as Hav pointed out above Derek is known for threatening lawsuits for every imagined slight against him, he has been doing it since 56k was fast loving internet. Whatever his pledge was was worth less to them than having him threaten legal bullshit all the time.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

Not 'A backer'. They know the name.

Exactly, no I agree. I'm eeking it out.

They knew who he was, and he knew what he was talking about.

A random on the internet would have remained a backer.

That says a lot.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How is the Montoya suit going anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Lladre posted:

Quick reminder that these were the same offensive style avatars that he bought for several people in this thread he did not like.

Derek gave people monkey butt avatars. Someone gave him an avatar that was more to the tune of "you're an actual monkey" which is really loving offensive when you know the person in question is black.

It does not surprise me in the slightest that this flies over your head.