Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/maxpcohen/status/1580612048576458752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I hope this is all leading up to something Happening!

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

:lol:

https://twitter.com/noliewithbtc/status/1580302904078241793?s=46&t=_OElLIvrZ0xo612c91Iy8w

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
We interrupt your Jan. 6 watching for a special LOL

Texas sheriff certifies the Martha's Vineyard migrants are crime victims, opening the door for special visas

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-new...r-special-visas

quote:

A Texas sheriff has certified that the nearly 50 migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis were victims of a crime. That certification is a key step in qualifying them for a special visa they would not have otherwise been eligible for.

Texas’ Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar expeditiously signed certification forms for all of the migrants, according to Boston-based immigration attorney Rachel Self, who went down to San Antonio to obtain the paperwork.

"Based upon the claims of migrants being transported from Bexar County under false pretenses, we are investigating this case as possible Unlawful Restraint," Salazar
said in a statement to GBH News. "We have submitted documentation through the federal system to ensure the migrants’ availability as witnesses during the investigation."

The documents are key parts of applications for U-visas, which are reserved for crime victims, or people who witnessed crimes. Immigration attorneys like Self are seeking these visas for the mostly Venezuelan immigrants on the grounds that they were brought to the Vineyard under false pretenses.

“These certifications will ensure that the migrants can continue to help our law enforcement officials, and that they will be able to process and heal from the incredibly traumatic experiences they have suffered as a result of the cruel, heartless acts committed against them,” Self said in a message to GBH News.

Many of the migrants told media they’ve come to the United States to seek asylum, and were sheltering at the Migrant Resource Center in San Antonio when they were approached by a woman who identified herself as “Perla.” They were falsely promised jobs, housing and education.

The woman even arranged for them to stay at hotels briefly in San Antonio before their flights, and provided McDonald’s gift certificates. Many immigrants were told several destinations they may wind up. No one anticipated landing on the remote island of Martha’s Vineyard.

U-visa applicants are required to get a certification from law enforcement saying that they were victims of a crime or witnessed one, and that they have cooperated with any efforts to investigate the crime. Getting a certification often takes over a year, so it’s unusual that Salazar turned them around so quickly after the September flights.

Self said that over the past few weeks, immigration attorneys have worked with Salazar’s Organized Crime Division to coordinate and conduct interviews with the immigrants, and collected their accounts, photos and videos of the flights.

Salazar's office has identified suspects in their investigation but isn't currently releasing names publicly. The sheriff opened a criminal investigation into DeSantis’ actions last month, the first law enforcement authority to do so. The federal Treasury Department has also begun an investigation of whether DeSantis improperly used federal COVID-19 relief funds to pay for the flights.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Almost Smart posted:

The hive of hair is pretty good, but I need more lols to offset the creeping dread I have for the midterm elections next month. I don’t know how many stories I’ve seen attacking democrats for the current state of the economy recently, but I’d comfortably estimate that 100% do nothing to question how republicans would do any better.

But what do I know. Maybe the fate of the global economy really does depend on attacking teachers and making the lives of lgbtq kids absolutely miserable for some reason.

i still have some hope, at least because of poo poo like this.

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1580418341558456325
https://mobile.twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1580418900054798336

the hardline "gently caress trans/lgbt+ kids" poo poo seems to be backfiring in even red places because at least when it was just "WOMENS SPORTS HUUR" you had loud dog whistles, people don't like out and out blunt crulty towards kids. even dumbshit chuds.

i have ok hopes for midterms still.

lol what a douche.

LordSloth posted:

Fox News

https://twitter.com/abughazalehkat/status/1580349740784398337?s=46&t=lRF1ny3_cnXfLwkdUZQc3w

I mean what the gently caress is this, even? A transhumanist anti-cyborg rant? The dumbest propaganda? Tucker has writers? I swear I heard he had a white nationalist staff in the past.

I grew up in Ohio, live now in Florida.
https://twitter.com/aodespair/status/1580364311087546369?s=46&t=lRF1ny3_cnXfLwkdUZQc3w

https://youtu.be/Igq3d6XA75Y?t=105

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I can’t read the article behind the paywall but the headline is a scream:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1580604293580611584?s=46&t=bM9-soQhqhWHW4tLqe50vA

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

still laughing about that time he got bodied by the cops

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Texas sheriff certifies the Martha's Vineyard migrants are crime victims, opening the door for special visas

Holy poo poo, those people originated from Texas, not Florida?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/haleytalbotnbc/status/1580618822926893057?s=46&t=nhRvTYB5eH-aFE0GB69Q1w

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

He won't show up, or find some way to delay it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol It's insane that these spineless GOP losers never just said "NO. YOU DID NOT WIN. THERE ARE NO MORE VOTES FOR YOU TO BE FOUND, IT'S OVER, STOP TRYING."

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

trilljester posted:

He won't show up, or find some way to delay it.

look what happened to bannon when he tried that.

Mostly likely he'll attempt to plead the 5th the entire time

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

withak posted:

Venezuela to TX mostly on foot. DeSantis, when asked why he didn’t fly migrants from Florida admitted that they don’t really have any in FL to use as props. So he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to kidnap people from TX and fly them to Massachusetts.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

MrMojok posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1580604293580611584?s=46&t=bM9-soQhqhWHW4tLqe50vA

A wild coincidence.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

HKR posted:

Yeah, I'm sure he would just sit there and plead the 5th or keep calling them the UNSelect Committee.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

lol If Jones had been censored he'd be in a lot less trouble right now.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/ask_aubry/status/1580623740672409600

Lack of empathy on the right seems to be a common factor.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MY BEAUTIFUL BABIES

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

trilljester posted:

Yeah, I'm sure he would just sit there and plead the 5th or keep calling them the UNSelect Committee.

"I plead the fifth to your biased fraudulent illegal witch-hunt question." times 500

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

MrMojok posted:

I have access to an NY Times account, so here’s an excerpt from the opening of this lengthy article

quote:

Days before the New York attorney general filed a lawsuit accusing Donald J. Trump and his company of fraud and seeking to shut down some of their business in the state, Mr. Trump’s lawyers created a new company in Delaware.

The new company’s name had a familiar ring to it: the Trump Organization, the same name as his old company, now threatened by the lawsuit. And on Sept. 21, the day the suit was filed, the new Delaware company filed paperwork in New York, seeking to be recognized there as the Trump Organization II.

Those maneuvers were detailed for the first time in a court filing on Thursday from the attorney general, Letitia James, who raised the prospect that Mr. Trump was seeking an end run around some of her lawsuit’s harshest potential punishments.

But her filing acknowledged that Mr. Trump’s lawyers had explicitly said they had not taken any steps to avoid the potential consequences of the lawsuit. Mr. Trump’s lawyers, according to the court filing, also offered to provide “assurances and advance notice” to address Ms. James’s concerns.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

lol. lmao even. desantis tried this publicity stunt that he thought would blow over after a week and it might actually end up costing a few of his henchmen some prison time.

he won't lose an election over this. he probably won't face any real repercussions at all. but a few families of unimportant office personnel who stamped the documents authorizing the kidnapping and forced relocation of about five dozen human beings are going to watch their loved ones go to prison and bankrupt their family trying to appeal it.

and that might mean that in two years when some new chud-elect tries to push the limits of their office that the insufficiently-paid office peons will simply mark those emails unread and blow off the entire project instead of subjecting another batch of people to a new and exciting kind of torment.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Attorneys General hate this one weird trick...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

HKR posted:

lol everyone is too scared to do anything of consequence to trump

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

withak posted:

Yea, DeSantis straight up said that he had to get proper from elsewhere because they weren't a problem in Florida.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Full article:

quote:

Trump Forms New Company, Drawing Scrutiny From N.Y. Attorney General

Days before the New York attorney general filed a lawsuit accusing Donald J. Trump and his company of fraud and seeking to shut down some of their business in the state, Mr. Trump’s lawyers created a new company in Delaware.

The new company’s name had a familiar ring to it: the Trump Organization, the same name as his old company, now threatened by the lawsuit. And on Sept. 21, the day the suit was filed, the new Delaware company filed paperwork in New York, seeking to be recognized there as the Trump Organization II.

Those maneuvers were detailed for the first time in a court filing on Thursday from the attorney general, Letitia James, who raised the prospect that Mr. Trump was seeking an end run around some of her lawsuit’s harshest potential punishments.

But her filing acknowledged that Mr. Trump’s lawyers had explicitly said they had not taken any steps to avoid the potential consequences of the lawsuit. Mr. Trump’s lawyers, according to the court filing, also offered to provide “assurances and advance notice” to address Ms. James’s concerns.

And because the new company was formed before the lawsuit was filed, Mr. Trump’s lawyers would not have known the specific consequences the attorney general was seeking.

Ms. James, however, remained concerned about the company’s motives and sought intervention from a judge. Her Thursday filing requested an order from the judge that would prohibit the Trump Organization from transferring its assets without court approval.

“Since we filed this sweeping lawsuit last month, Donald Trump and the Trump Organization have continued those same fraudulent practices and taken measures to evade responsibility,” Ms. James said in a statement. “Today, we are seeking an immediate stop to these actions because Mr. Trump should not get to play by different rules.”

Alina Habba, a lawyer for the former president and his company, said in a statement that Ms. James’s filing was “simply another stunt.”

“We have repeatedly provided assurance, in writing, that the Trump Organization has no intention of doing anything improper,” she said.

Ms. Habba also accused Ms. James of using the filing to keep the case before Arthur F. Engoron, the state judge who had overseen disputes between Mr. Trump’s lawyers and Ms. James’s office during her investigation, before the lawsuit was filed. Justice Engoron ordered Mr. Trump to sit for a deposition and at one point held him in contempt of court, fining him $110,000.

After the lawsuit was filed, Ms. Habba requested that the case be overseen by a different judge, a request that is pending. She said Ms. James’s filing on Thursday was “nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to keep this case with Justice Engoron.”

The former president has denied all wrongdoing and accused Ms. James, a Democrat, of pursuing a partisan witch hunt against him.

In her lawsuit, which accused Mr. Trump of lying to his lenders and insurers by fraudulently overvaluing his assets by billions of dollars, Ms. James asked a judge to impose a variety of punishments that would restrict his ability to do business in New York. She is seeking to bar Mr. Trump and the Trump Organization from acquiring commercial real estate there for five years and to prohibit him and three of his adult children from running companies in the state.

While Ms. James stopped short of trying to dissolve the Trump Organization, her lawsuit indicates that she wants to shut down at least a portion of the former president’s New York operations. Her lawsuit asks that a judge cancel the business certificates that allow some of his properties there to function, including his flagship commercial property at 40 Wall Street in Lower Manhattan.

Ms. James is also asking that the Trump Organization be made to forfeit some $250 million that she says it improperly reaped by misleading lenders and insurers about Mr. Trump’s net worth. Her Thursday filing expressed concern that, if the company is able to transfer its assets out of state, it might skirt those payments.

In the filing, Ms. James also asked a judge to immediately install a monitor to oversee the company’s disclosures to lenders and insurers, the issue at the heart of her case.

The lawsuit, citing “substantial, persistent and repeated fraudulent and misleading conduct,” centers on Mr. Trump’s annual financial statements, yearly records that include the Trump Organization’s estimated value of its holdings and debts. The company provided the statements — which wildly inflated the worth of nearly every one of its marquee properties, Ms. James said — to lenders and insurers “to obtain beneficial financial terms,” including lower interest rates and premiums.

In the filing on Thursday, Ms. James asked a judge to prohibit the company from submitting the annual statements without additional disclosures about the methods used to calculate the value of Mr. Trump’s assets. She also asked that a trial date be set in early October 2023.

Ms. James’s lawsuit accused Mr. Trump, three of his children and his company of “staggering fraud” in the valuation of some of his most well-known properties, including Trump Tower and 40 Wall Street in Manhattan and Mar-a-Lago in Florida. When interviewed under oath by her office, Mr. Trump invoked his Fifth Amendment right, refusing to answer all substantive questions.

The lawsuit coincides with a litany of other legal woes for Mr. Trump, including a number of criminal investigations involving his conduct in the final weeks of his presidency. In August, the F.B.I. searched Mar-a-Lago as part of an investigation into his removal of sensitive material from the White House; federal prosecutors are scrutinizing his efforts to reverse his 2020 election loss; and a Georgia district attorney is investigating his potential interference in the state’s election results.

Mr. Trump has not been accused of wrongdoing, and it is unclear whether any of those inquiries will lead to criminal charges against him.

In Manhattan, the district attorney’s office has been conducting a criminal investigation into some of the same conduct at the center of Ms. James’s lawsuit. Prosecutors had been marching toward an indictment of Mr. Trump early this year, before pulling back.

The district attorney, Alvin L. Bragg, has said the investigation is continuing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea, DeSantis straight up said that he had to get proper from elsewhere because they weren't a problem in Florida.
Charge DeSantis and Abbott with conspiracy to commit CRIMES

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Lol the committee is going to vote to subpoena Trump’s testimony, skipping the whole invitation part, because they actually learned for once

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Jan 6 Committee is gonna subpoena Trump today. He'll never testify though.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is exactly the way to shut this poo poo down, immediately legitimize the legal residency of any undocumented migrant that they try to reverse freedom ride to a blue state.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They just need to preface it all that only people with tiny tiny hands plead the 5th.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

LordSloth posted:

Lol the committee is going to vote to subpoena Trump’s testimony, skipping the whole invitation part, because they actually learned for once

He's going to ignore it and they aren't going to order the House Sergeant at Arms to go find Trump and arrest him. They will probably just fine him until the Republicans take the House and end it.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

"Please raise your meaty, oddly child-like hand..."

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's going to ignore it and they aren't going to order the House Sergeant at Arms to go find Trump and arrest him. They will probably just fine him until the Republicans take the House and end it.

The DoJ will lend him out in an orange tracksuit once they arrest him for selling nuclear secrets.

I'm ready for the DoJ to hold a triumph in all but name and march trump through DC in chains.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, they know very well there is zero chance of him actually showing up.

They want to be able to find him in contempt of Congress or wherever it’s called. Not that this will end up with him getting thrown in jail, but it will make him look worse, given that he’s been shrilly screaming about their “lies” and that he has no defense at these hearings.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

None of this seems like new info, and really seems kind of tame after the MAL raid thing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Subpoena Trump. Wait until he's president. Wait until he's giving state of the union address to congress. BOOM surprise J6 meeting

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Powershift posted:

None of this seems like new info, and really seems kind of tame after the MAL raid thing.

Some of this isn't new but it's shocking to hear it all finally summarized back to back in chronological order, once again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

kazil posted:

Subpoena Trump. Wait until he's president. Wait until he's giving state of the union address to congress. BOOM surprise J6 meeting

Is the current thought the president can't be forced to do anything and the entire reason they waited for him to be out of office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Powershift posted:

Trump's crime elemental powers means there's always something new and it's always worse.