Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

To be fair, even a 5th level character in D&D has abilities that are far beyond those of normal people

That's the point. Why does killing a lot of goblins eventually make you immune to roofs falling on you? It makes no sense. Telling a good story in the D&D verse will inevitably be full of elegantly skidding around that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Triple Elation posted:

That's the point. Why does killing a lot of goblins eventually make you immune to roofs falling on you?

The blow is cushioned by the treacly mist of goblin ghosts surrounding you.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wait, people actually think that Thog is for real dead?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Triple Elation posted:

That's the point. Why does killing a lot of goblins eventually make you immune to roofs falling on you? It makes no sense. Telling a good story in the D&D verse will inevitably be full of elegantly skidding around that sort of thing.

Because the kind of mythic dude tough enough to carve his way through hordes of monsters isn't going to stop just because some rocks fell on him?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Was that all nine of the nine, by the way, or are there a couple left?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
It looks like it started with #871 on Feb 25th, so it looks like there's one left.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Good, I want some vampire Durkon dialogue. Although it's just as likely to be left a cliffhanger by switching to another character.

The Order of the Stake.

As for who is to blame in all this, this is kind of all Roy's fault. Talks about not letting the party split up this time and being at full strength, then when V runs of says "Oh well, let him do whatever and chill". If they stuck with him they might not have been ambushed, and wouldn't have to further split the party because of a monster trap.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Heh, I was rereading old strips and came across this.

Note what V says on the second page.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I agree, Roy, Elan, and Haley's best chance for survival is for Xykon to come wreck the Linear Guild's poo poo. Their best chance of survival from Xykon is for the Linear Guild to sufficiently him and Redcloak long enough they can retreat.

It's funny as powerful as Malack is, he wouldn't stand a chance against Redcloak.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ConfusedUs posted:

I read Malack's "secret" grapple technique as just another way of saying "I took Improved Grapple", which is totally a real thing.

I read it as, "I'm a snake with arms, surprise!" In practice his secret technique was coiling around Durkon with just his body/tail which left Malack's hands free to do whatever he wanted.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

quote:

Why does killing a lot of goblins eventually make you immune to roofs falling on you?

quote:

Because the kind of mythic dude tough enough to carve his way through hordes of monsters isn't going to stop just because some rocks fell on him?

Shoo, solid mechanics! Out with ye, laws of cause and effect!

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Well DnD doesn't make any pretenses about not being high fantasy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wiegieman posted:

At this point, it probably is. That's why Clerics and Wizards win out.
Clerics more so, since they get access to it the instant it's published while wizards have to manually track it down and add it to their spellbook.

ikanreed posted:

Even lich casters don't have much defense against sunder attempts and grapple checks. A fighter half his level could easily do that.
Depends on if they have the appropriate spells prepared/active or not.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Star Wars d20 RPG modified the "hit point" mechanics a bit by basically making them dodge points. When an attack deals hit point damage, you're not actually hit -- just narrowly missed. Once your hit points reach 0, then your luck runs out and if you're hit again, this time it'll deal damage to your actual health points, which have a total equal to your constitution score.

In this system, your character survives a roof collapsing because he kinda rolled out of the way or found the one spot in which he was mostly under cover from the falling rubble thanks to some jutting piece of architecture or some sturdy furniture or whatever.

It's certainly a better visual representation than "the axe blow slices through your flesh and shatters your clavicle, dealing 27 points of damage; but I guess since you still have 12 hit points remaining this has no further consequences" as some D&D DM have been using.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I always considered it a sort of "relative toughness" thing. Like someone who was down to their last 3 HP might be too battered and beat to successfully avoid a killing blow aimed at his head, but the same character at full HP has enough wherewithal to react, turning what would be a fatal attack into merely a graze on his arm. It's not that the damage amount of the attack changes, it's just that a character's HP total represents their ability to react and reduce the consequences.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zereth posted:

Clerics more so, since they get access to it the instant it's published while wizards have to manually track it down and add it to their spellbook.

Depends on if they have the appropriate spells prepared/active or not.

I have to imagine Xykon has the still and silent casting feats just in case some death warded mook grapples him in a Silence 10' radius.

Mind you that increases the spell level a bit, but it isn't going to prevent him from dimension dooring or dispelling magic.

What you really need is a death warded aquatic mook grappling him underwater in an anti magic zone that for some reason doesn't affect his death ward. Can a steel golem operate in an anti magic zone? Can't energy drain that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Colonel Cool posted:

Well DnD doesn't make any pretenses about not being high fantasy.

I remember somebody saying that while there's been efforts to make it resemble one or another kind of fantasy, what D&D resembles is mostly D&D.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

ZnCu posted:

I always considered it a sort of "relative toughness" thing. Like someone who was down to their last 3 HP might be too battered and beat to successfully avoid a killing blow aimed at his head, but the same character at full HP has enough wherewithal to react, turning what would be a fatal attack into merely a graze on his arm. It's not that the damage amount of the attack changes, it's just that a character's HP total represents their ability to react and reduce the consequences.

The problem with that thinking has always been these

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Those are just spell names, though. You can always change them. The fact that these "cure wounds" spell explicitly do not regenerate non-abstract wounds such as missing limbs would help in this respect.

Cure Serious Blues.

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember somebody saying that while there's been efforts to make it resemble one or another kind of fantasy, what D&D resembles is mostly D&D.

Which I personally do not see as a problem.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pope Guilty posted:

The only time you could make a coherent argument for D&D not being High Fantasy is in Darksun. Otherwise it remains a game about Big drat Heroes in Really drat Magical places.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
:spergin: over a bunch of decade-old game rules is fun and all, but let's get back to Durkula.

What will be his personality upon awaking? Broody, black coat king-of-pain? Undead and evil, but driven to his duty?

I'm actually hoping to see him go buck-wild, the transformation being the catalyst that makes him snap after years of moral repression.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's ameliorated somewhat in 4th edition where hit points are replenished through "second winds" and "surges"(admittedly "healing surges" but the mechanic would be more accurately described as an adrenaline surge), with clerical healing abilities giving you more of these.

I think they're going back to a more traditional HP system though.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

greatn posted:

That's ameliorated somewhat in 4th edition where hit points are replenished through "second winds" and "surges"(admittedly "healing surges" but the mechanic would be more accurately described as an adrenaline surge), with clerical healing abilities giving you more of these.

I think they're going back to a more traditional HP system though.

It also explains how bards and warlords can "heal" with motivational words. And my experience with the D&D Next playtest was that it was closer to 1st edition than anything else. Ultra-simple, but not necessarily in a bad way.

As for the new Durkon, it remains to be seen how much of the old Durkon is left. Does vamping someone automatically remove the revulsion most living creatures have against the idea of being vamped? I wouldn't be surprised if the new Durkon just suicided as soon as he got control over himself... it reminds me of the scene from Dusk 'Til Dawn where the infected priest says it's not suicide if you're already dead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Another interesting question is going to be how will Nale react to this? There has to have been a reason he killed Malack's original spawns, if he's generally opposed to vampirism this incarnation of the Linear Guild isn't long for this world (and neither is Nale if it comes down to that).

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Another interesting question is going to be how will Nale react to this? There has to have been a reason he killed Malack's original spawns, if he's generally opposed to vampirism this incarnation of the Linear Guild isn't long for this world (and neither is Nale if it comes down to that).

He's literally having sex with a devil. Nale doesn't give a drat about vampirism, he killed Malak's kids because he's evil and they were in his way.

Or just because he was evil.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nale has to know that Malack is a vampire. Presumably he killed Malack's kids during his failed coup. I suspect that Nale doesn't care about vampires one way or the other. On the other hand, once its shown that Xykon doesn't care who Nale is and the supposed negotiation advantage he brings is bullshit, then there will be no reason for Malack...or Durkon, or especially vamped Belkar if it goes that way, not to execute Nale out of hand.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jng2058 posted:

On the other hand, once its shown that Xykon doesn't care who Nale is and the supposed negotiation advantage he brings is bullshit,

:ssh: Xykon isn't the one he needs to make a deal with

Of course it remains to be seen whether or not they'll just get snuffed out the moment Xykon appears on the scene or whether they (and Hinjo) are being positioned for the endgame at the final gate.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 5, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Alchenar posted:

:ssh: Xykon isn't the one he needs to make a deal with

Of course it remains to be seen whether or not they'll just get snuffed out the moment Xykon appears on the scene or whether they (and Hinjo) are being positioned for the endgame at the final gate.

Except that Nale and Tarquin are both humans, and Redcloak is even less likely than Xykon to cut a deal with them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Except that Nale and Tarquin are both humans, and Redcloak is even less likely than Xykon to cut a deal with them.

They're humans who are part of an evil continental multi-species empire. All Tarquin has to do is offer a fair share to Redcloak and he has a partner, and we know that Redcloak has an endgame problem with the fact that his aims diverge from Xykon's and he's prepping his exit strategy.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Cat Mattress posted:

The Star Wars d20 RPG modified the "hit point" mechanics a bit by basically making them dodge points. When an attack deals hit point damage, you're not actually hit -- just narrowly missed. Once your hit points reach 0, then your luck runs out and if you're hit again, this time it'll deal damage to your actual health points, which have a total equal to your constitution score.

In this system, your character survives a roof collapsing because he kinda rolled out of the way or found the one spot in which he was mostly under cover from the falling rubble thanks to some jutting piece of architecture or some sturdy furniture or whatever.

It's certainly a better visual representation than "the axe blow slices through your flesh and shatters your clavicle, dealing 27 points of damage; but I guess since you still have 12 hit points remaining this has no further consequences" as some D&D DM have been using.

Problem is that critical hits bypassed your luck health (Vitality) and went straight for your real health (Wounds). An average character with 10 Constitution had 10 wounds and died at -10 wounds. Which meant that a 20 damage critical hit was instant death. Your average stormtrooper had a rifle that did 3d8 damage (3 to 24) and while 20+ damage only showed up maybe less than 10% of the time and odds weren't that great of a critical hit, the sheer number of fights a player character went through in a 1 to 20 campaign meant that you had maybe a one in three chance of dying to some random chump who got lucky during a campaign. Odds went down if you had armor and more Constitution, but you still could get chumped incredibly easy by a critical hit. While "death out of nowhere" mechanics are interesting for certain games, they're not quite as in the spirit for Star Wars (or most games of D&D).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Didn't they have a force point mechanic to get out of those kind of situations?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, I find the stories about how lethal Star Wars: Revised was to players compared to other games to be over-wrought. I never saw a PC die to a crit...or at all, for that matter...in a campaign that we played in for years. Yeah, you had to keep some Force Points on hand just in case, but other than that, it was no big deal.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I don't think Force points block critical hits though. At least, there's no section in the RCR about it under either Critical Hits or Force Points. It has been ages, so I might have forgotten the rules.

But this is even more of a derail than normal.

Speaking of weird rules, for those who are interested in such things, the Traditional Games forum has a thread for some of the weird game rule logic that rises up when you take these things way too seriously.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RickoniX posted:

The problem with that thinking has always been these

How is that a problem in the slightest? The spell takes away exhaustion and heals bruises and small cuts.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

See that's exactly why these games have GM's. Regardless of whether or not the Rules as Written allow it, any reasonable GM who wants his players to have fun will make that very minor shift to say "this difficult to renew resource can keep you from dying" (which I'm pretty sure was the case regardless.)

To make a somewhat more elegant pivot back to the thread topic than just "we're derailing", let me add that using GM discretion for the sake of the fun is exactly what Rich is doing with the various Malack exceptions to get to vampire Durkon right now. Granted in a game context this would be pretty objectionable, since he's using GM fiat to gently caress over the players. You don't want to do that in a real game, lest the players stop having fun and thus, you stop having a game at all.

However, in a story context, this is fine. Drama happens when you, the author, let bad things happen to your characters and have them try to deal with it. If Rich stuck to the rules of the game, vampire Durkon would be out of the scenario since we're pretty sure that the business at Girard's gate will be long since wrapped up before three days goes by. Instead, by house ruling past the limit, Rich gets us the drama of the Order dealing with vamp-Durkon RIGHT NOW, and that's much more fun for us, the readers.

Which is exactly what he should do, just as a good GM gives the rules a kick to keep the game fun as well.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

JosephWongKS posted:

There's resistance to GitP-style grognardism even on the GitP forums:

I think putting a story into a game system has some quite big benefits too. You have a framework of rules that define how the world works, and a story that follows such constrictions seems more realistic since there's less of a risk of random Deus Ex Machinas sneaking in.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's not a random Deus Ex Machina if the character in question has the resources and a very good reason to possess the spells/magical thingygummy he has.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Malack specifically mentions learning from Tarquin several times during the fight. Given Tarquin's whole shtick is being a hyper aware Mary Sue DMPC, it only makes sense his close friend, who he's adventured and fought with and ruled empires together, would pick up on some of his effective qualities.

The only bit that seemed improperly foreshadowed was the backdoor in Mass Death Ward. But the whole irony of the spell Malack helped research protecting Durkon from him was evident, and it made sense that Malack would have placed a backdoor... we had just never been given an indication that sort of thing was possible. Malack revealed as being a snake with arms after being revealed as concealing his true nature as a vampire, or having a certain custom magic spell that doesn't have any novel effects, just seemed pretty well contextualized.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Danzou posted:

Malack specifically mentions learning from Tarquin several times during the fight. Given Tarquin's whole shtick is being a hyper aware Mary Sue DMPC, it only makes sense his close friend, who he's adventured and fought with and ruled empires together, would pick up on some of his effective qualities.

The only bit that seemed improperly foreshadowed was the backdoor in Mass Death Ward. But the whole irony of the spell Malack helped research protecting Durkon from him was evident, and it made sense that Malack would have placed a backdoor... we had just never been given an indication that sort of thing was possible. Malack revealed as being a snake with arms after being revealed as concealing his true nature as a vampire, or having a certain custom magic spell that doesn't have any novel effects, just seemed pretty well contextualized.

A nice (though tiny) detail is that the Speed Vampirism spell is actually contained in his staff - something you can totally do under D&D rules! - rather than being a spell he prepared for the day. It's just a little bit of gap filling but it's kind of cool that Rich noticed that it would make no sense for Malack to prepare such a spell ahead of time and instead put it in a magical item that he would just happen to have with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
It was also mentioned that to create those mummies, he burned charges on his staff to create those.