Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I finally tried on my Cortech Vice WP shoes today, and was pleasantly surprised that they fit well on my wide feet. Time will tell how they wear, and I'll miss the free airflow the dianese had, and wish they were zip up, but I'm happy with them. It's so hard to find riding shoes that don't feel really painfully cramped. At 109, they are cheap enough not to care about faults.

Sadly, I think I need to send my AFX FX-41 DS Hi-Vis Helmet back. My bike was stolen before I could wear it, and I don't see myself getting another dual sport soon. Most helmets don't fit me, but this one fit PERFECTLY in all areas, except for the forehead edge pressing just a tiny bit much, like a knife, into my forehead. An hour of use proved that it didn't give headaches, but was still a source of discomfort.

I really liked how much room it had in the ears, too, while remaining snug. What can I try that fits and doesn't break the bank?! Nothing at cycle gear fits properly and costs under 500.

I'm tempted to just get another avg, even though that one was kind of technically way too loose. And heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Why not just keep the AFX and pull the sun visor if you do a lot of freeway?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

M42 posted:

Funny you should mention, I ordered (and returned) a Scorpion EXO-500 with airfit. Too loose even pumped all the way up! Also they changed the internal shape to narrow.

Honestly I might just buy a Snell and be done with it. Shoei fits me really well and has like 2xs cheekpads.
Have you considered going to the store and buying 50lbs of frozen cheesecake?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Why not just keep the AFX and pull the sun visor if you do a lot of freeway?

I'd love to, because without the visor it owns. But I don't know what to do about that leading edge of the foam pressing into my forehead. It's like literally just that one area, and it's not even enough to give a headache, but plenty of discomfort. There are air channel grooves and this part is built up around them. I'm tempted to find some way to "sand" down that part, since I like the rest of the helmet so much, and it doesn't seem to be a mission critical few millimeters, but I'm afraid of causing my death if I ruin that part.

Marxalot posted:

Have you considered going to the store and buying 50lbs of frozen cheesecake?

You gotta eat for the slide, not for the ride. This second chin is snell approved!

Coydog fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 3, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It'll eventually break in / deform and that discomfort will go away. Figure about 6-8 weeks of regular riding. I had a similar problem with the Airmada I'm currently rocking.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh wow really?! I'll just keep it then. It will be good to have a beater helmet down the line, too.

Worst case, the liner comes out and I have full access to the foam. I could just sand it down a little if it doesn't get better without seriously compromising it, right?

You saved the day again, Z3n.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think I'm a touch of a masochist when it comes to gear because i like my gear tight enough that it's uncomfortable for at least a week until it breaks in to fit me perfectly. I'll tolerate a month of discomfort for 2-5 years of perfect fit.

Yes you could sand it down but using your head to break it in means the minimum loss of EPS thickness. Plus, it means it'll fit exactly to your skull shape.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I just bought an O'Neill Sierra Adventure as a summer helmet, and I love it. it's the same helmet as the AFX FX-41 DS, just with a lighter tint on the internal sunglasses + double D ring. Sunvisor worked well and very nice airflow. There is some fit and finish things here and there I'll mend, but nothing that need more than a little superglue to be tight or some love with a sharp knife to trim an uneven edge. Now to get my sena 20s installed in it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Motorcyclegear has the SMX-plus on closeout, $70 off. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/boots/alpinestars/s_mx_plus_boots_2013.html

Rip wallet

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I have these and like them a lot. Nice airflow, pretty comfortable inner boot design, look baller as hell in white.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I'm thinking about getting those, I'll be working from home a lot more and less overall so I see myself taking a lot more day/overnight/weekend trips in the future.

On the one hand they seem a little overkill for street riding, on the other hand street riding can be more dangerous than track and anything less seems pointless and wouldn't really protect your ankle and feet.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 8, 2015

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Tanbo posted:

I'm thinking about getting those, I'll be working from home a lot more and less overall so I see myself taking a lot more day/overnight/weekend trips in the future.

On the one hand they seem a little overkill for street riding, on the other hand street riding can be more dangerous than track and anything less seems pointless and wouldn't really protect your ankle and feet.

Yeah, I think people really underestimate how much damage our hands and feet will take when we go down. What do you catch yourself with when you fall? Your hands. Feet are like flappy bone sacks waiting to be crushed. Good boots and gloves are really important.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Tanbo posted:

I have a pair of Dianese TR-Course-out boots. They look "overkill", but they're easier to put on than anything else. Just a zipper in the back.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lynza posted:

Yeah, I think people really underestimate how much damage our hands and feet will take when we go down. What do you catch yourself with when you fall? Your hands. Feet are like flappy bone sacks waiting to be crushed. Good boots and gloves are really important.

I was sold on good riding shoes the second someone mentioned feet "folding". After seeing the damage my dianese shoes soaked up in the last wreck (came apart slightly in one area) without failing, as well as how bashed up but unbroken my foot/toes/ankle was, I'm doubly sold.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

I squid it up more than I should, but I always wear riding boots. I hate the idea of hitting a stationary object, whipping over my bike, and having all my force go directly into the heel of my foot, shattering it and leaving me with 6-8 months of painful therapy if I ever plan on walking again. :nms:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Lynza posted:

Also if you don't wear gloves you'll get back of the hand sunburn. Which, if we're honest, is the worst part.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Chichevache posted:

I squid it up more than I should, but I always wear riding boots. I hate the idea of hitting a stationary object, whipping over my bike, and having all my force go directly into the heel of my foot, shattering it and leaving me with 6-8 months of painful therapy if I ever plan on walking again. :nms:

The girlfriends brother got wrecked by an idiot turning into him, busted up his leg pretty good. When I went to see the wreck of his motorcycle after they recovered it... his converse was still firmly attached to the middle of the brake pedal stock/lever/whatever. This is after the wreck, towing, and being pushed into a garage.

I'll keep wearing my motorcycle shoes thank you very much. I don't much like the idea of a brake pedal puncturing my foot let alone anything else.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I really prefer a full boot*. When I was a nub I rode into a ditch and droped a CB750 onto my leg. I was pinned under it with the bike's weight resting on the area between my ankle and calf, right at the top cuff part of my Alpinestars boot. I rode 200 miles home and went to Red Lobster for dinner where my lower leg and foot swelled up like a cooking sausage. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to ride home if I was wearing shorty boots or shoes.

*When I'm not squidding it up on my scooter in flip flops because I am a stupid idiot.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Now that I've got a bike worth stealing I need to know what sort of locks to buy. I'm thinking of a big chain lock maybe?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Full coverage. Nothing will stop a thief. At best you can cut down on the joyride potential.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What about just covering the bike in some sort of fake turds material to dissuade tampering? Or cat piss?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

What about just covering the bike in some sort of fake turds material to dissuade tampering? Or cat piss?

We already mentioned the Blast.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Renaissance Robot posted:

So is he dead or just inactive?

It doesn't really matter to me, I'm just curious and you're kind of making it sound like he died

Count MootMootington III was a new rider here with more money than talent. He was famous for being arrogant (with no justification) and an rear end in a top hat. So kinda like me (except I can turn a bike).

He posted videos like the straight on crash on that off ramp, getting smoked by a civic somehow, and attaching titanium plates to the bottom of his shoes for sparks. Also he hated scooters.

He is known as Count Mootington or Baron von Moot etc. because he acted like an rear end in a top hat but hid his identity. He challenged a #bieks bro, I wanna say Nipples, that no one could find out his true identity. Nipples found him in like 15 minutes and FB messaged his (very attractive) sister about how he was a dick. Turned out he was from a ruling family in Ireland and his ancestors probably owned echomadman's ancestors at some point.

Also sometimes called Captain Moot cause he was one in the army or whatever. Sometimes you can add Esq. to it cause I think he was studying law. The possibilities are endless.

Anyway after he got outed he had a mini meltdown and then came back for a bit but mostly left. Every time he posted after all of that everyone on here immediately teased/harassed him so he was unable to do the mootmoot troll.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lest we forget JackTheSmack.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh man I totally forgot too, one time mootmoot clotheslined a pedestrian who had the audacity to be standing in the street next to the curb.

jackthesmack was an unapologetic squid who was p. cool but he was gone shortly after I started reading CA.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If I remember right, he dumped a chick off the back.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

attaching titanium plates to the bottom of his shoes for sparks.

This is actually pretty awesome and I might have to ruin a pair of workboots now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

JTS still posts on BARF occasionally, pretty amusing.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I ordered the SMX plus, RIP wallet. In the best color obviously, white.

Looking forward to having boots that actually provide some ventilation, as opposed to the crappy workboots I wear now.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Tanbo posted:

I ordered the SMX plus, RIP wallet. In the best color obviously, white.

Looking forward to having boots that actually provide some ventilation, as opposed to the crappy workboots I wear now.

Now your next mission is to get some Handroids in white so you match :kimchi:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
My favorite was abunchofnumbers AKA backpanther. Wadded what, 3 bikes? And got a more powerful bike every time, until he died (for 40 seconds in the back of an ambulance) on an R6 and lost an arm. But I think now he's a Lambo owner because of an insurance settlement? At least, I like to imagine he is.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I recently got a set of triple flange silicone tips for my regular sport earbuds (the over-ear hook kind), and I've gotta say it's crazy how well they work. For the first time ever I don't need to put my music volume even halfway towards the state mandated hearing damage warning (let alone above it) to be able to hear it.

It'd be great if there was a bluetooth unit I could plug them in to that also had an external mic so I could hold a normal conversation with someone without having to unplug.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Scala uses 3.5mm drivers for their BT units and a separate mic connection.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

My favorite was abunchofnumbers AKA backpanther. Wadded what, 3 bikes? And got a more powerful bike every time, until he died (for 40 seconds in the back of an ambulance) on an R6 and lost an arm. But I think now he's a Lambo owner because of an insurance settlement? At least, I like to imagine he is.

He was the owner of a Lamborghini.

It was manual.

He was missing an arm.

Hence "was".

e: Can't find the post about the Lambo but have this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091384&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post359250850

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 9, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I want to know how fast he was actually going. :lol:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I want to know how fast he was actually going. :lol:

He claims 40 and tbh looking at the bike and car damage (and that he has very little lower-limb damage despite obviously being in shorts and sandals) I don't think that's too far off. He lost his arm and took all that other damage because he hit a lamp post, so even if he had been wearing proper gear he'd have been properly hosed up.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Renaissance Robot posted:

I recently got a set of triple flange silicone tips for my regular sport earbuds (the over-ear hook kind), and I've gotta say it's crazy how well they work. For the first time ever I don't need to put my music volume even halfway towards the state mandated hearing damage warning (let alone above it) to be able to hear it.

It'd be great if there was a bluetooth unit I could plug them in to that also had an external mic so I could hold a normal conversation with someone without having to unplug.

Sena does, too, and there's a little $5 adapter for headphones/earbuds you can get with it. That's what I use, and even with the external boom mic in my helmet, most people can't tell I'm going 80 down the highway if I take a call. It's pretty boss.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ah, by normal conversation I meant like in person with a cashier or security guard or something, not a phone call. If you can set the mic to pipe into your own headphones I thought it might be able to pick up people talking to you...?

I can just about manage as is but it'd be nice to have a boost so I'm not always having to get people to speak up, sonny! :corsair: Some old man held me up at a T junction the other day to talk about something, maybe a 'friendly' ribbing about my squeaky brakes? I couldn't really tell, or make him go away, because I couldn't hear him too well so all I could do was nod and wait for the nosy fart to stop standing in front of my bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The Sena 20S has an external audio button for just that purpose. Doesn't work great but it's acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I still can't wrap my head around this idea that you would actually want other people to be able to call you when you're on a bike. Being unreachable is like half the loving point AFAIK.