Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Elephanthead posted:

I just throw the caliper or wheel cylinder in the trash can.

Pretty much this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Am I crazy for thinking of buying a reel mower rather than nice self-powered one? It's probably only a couple thousand square feet of grass, and all flat. The only thing that may be a problem is I'll probably have times where I can't cut it for 3 or 4 weeks (not that often), and they're supposed to be a bitch if the grass gets too long.

*edit*
Don't really care about the price, it's more of a convenience of not having to gently caress with an engine thing, and I don't mind getting extra exercise. I also wouldn't mind being about to mow the lawn at 6am and not piss off the neighbors.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Buy an electric mower instead.

Reel mowers are miserable.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MomJeans420 posted:

I also wouldn't mind being about to mow the lawn at 6am and not piss off the neighbors.

I bought an EGO mower this past spring, since it's so quiet (and has effective LED headlights) I started mowing close to sunset during the middle of the summer and no complaints from either of my two closest neighbors.

I threw a kill-a-watt on the charger the day I bought it and expenses to run the mower so far this season are under $1, with cutting grass 2-3 times a week May-July and 1-2 times the rest of the season. I can cut about 2/3rds of my roughly 1 acre lot on a single charge of the 5 AH battery.

Only downside is the side discharge chute design kind of sucks - it clips into the same chute that feeds the bag and turns the clippings 90 degrees and is prone to clogging.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's incredible geoj. How wide is the deck? What was the initial purchase cost?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Alright, electric mower it is!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

always be closing posted:

That's incredible geoj. How wide is the deck? What was the initial purchase cost?

21" deck, was $450 but they're end of season fire selling them (if you can find a home depot with one in stock) for $375 now. Mine is the push model, IIRC the self propelled model was $100 more - although with the poly deck and no heavy gas engine I can't really think of a scenario where you'd need it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Right on. It must take you a while to mow though right? I bought a 48" bobcat ransommes a couple years back and can bang out my half acre in like 30-40min.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I have a detached three car garage with attached workshop and a driveway that runs half the length of my yard (lot is long and narrow) plus my house so I only have to mow maybe 65% of the yard. Takes about two hours start to finish (not counting breaks or now recharging the battery) to do everything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have a small yard and a reel mower and need the exercise. You definitely need to mow every week or two. It's not that it's a bitch if it's too long, it's impossible if it gets too long. The grass just gets pushed down and run over.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I have the cheapest Honda harmony mower and I treat it like absolute poo poo. I haven't checked the oil in three years and I leave the gas in it every winter. It never fails to start on the first try though. Would recommend highly.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Electric mowers are trash and should be put in the trash instead of used.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Electric mowers are trash and should be put in the trash instead of used.

I have a corded push one and it owns. Its so cheap, tons of torque, quiet, done literally 0 maintenance since 2010.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Recommend me a tiny generator to take camping.
Something small to run a stereo, christmas lights, charge phones, etc...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don’t bring any of that and enjoy nature.

I use one of the Ion speakers that are about a cubic foot and get a solid day of music out of them for tailgating, phones can be charged in the car and little LED Xmas lights battery powered are pretty good for a tent.

Otherwise either pony up the money for the quiet Honda generators or build a baffle box to cover a cheaper generator tucked behind your truck to keep the noise away from you.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html

Plus an inverter to make it 120V, and a battery to store the energy (or use one from your vehicle).
Or just skip the generator / solar panel altogether and use your vehicle's alternator/battery?

The things you listed are not very power hungry and don't require a full generator IMO.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How tiny? Biolite stove or similar?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Budget? There are 100k+ mAh batteries if you're comfortable spending upwards of $500. A friend bought this one from Anker to run his CPAP machine after an extended outage overnight (and was able to use his HSA to pay for it). Might fit the bill for what you're describing without noise or gas.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That is a lot of mAH :stare:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I would go battery all the way too, unless it's like a 2+ week long trip. Generators are little gas engines, and gas engines (unless you get a Honda) are a pain in the rear end to take care of properly. A little bluetooth speaker will last a couple days on a charge and give plenty of music. Bring some nice bigger phone chargers and you're fine. Christmas lights? Meh don't need 'em.. just use a nice rechargeable lantern and headlamp.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mod sassinator posted:

Generators are little gas engines, and gas engines (unless you get a Honda) are a pain in the rear end to take care of properly.

lolwhat

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

MRC48B posted:

That is a lot of mAH :stare:

Uh yeah holy poo poo.

Related to that, I use this combination jump box/inverter/air compressor to do basically the same thing, except it's "only" 18ah. Came in very handy during the last hurricane, to have a power source for some small things without running the generator.

Jump box works too, one of the batteries died in my 5500 dodge cummins work truck last week, and this cranked it right up.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

I see you've never pulled an old lawn mower out of the back of the garage after a few hard winters and nothing done to maintain it.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mod sassinator posted:

I see you've never pulled an old lawn mower out of the back of the garage after a few hard winters and nothing done to maintain it.

I work at a lawn and tractor dealer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I work at a lawn and tractor dealer.
You don't get a load of people coming in with beginning-of-season "won't starts"?

I can see how long periods of lack of use would be a pain in the arse with a petrol generator. Doesn't someone make them that run off little gas canisters, they're supposed to be much better for occasional use.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I've got a hand me down masport mower - pretty sure it's a B&S motor. The wheels are stuffed (axle bushes worn so it's hard to push), and if it stalls on a high/tough bit of thick buffalo it's a bitch to restart - go have a beer because it probably flooded itself. But starts every second pull when I take it out the shed, (every 4 months or so I need it over late summer, autumn and winter, every 2-3 weeks peak spring). E: not so much mid summer, due to local water restrictions and everything kinda dies anyway.
My dad bought it in the late 70s/ pre 1983 at least. Loud as gently caress and drinks fuel though.
Dunno, just something else I need to get rid of in the next 3 days...
E: it wasn't used for years as my older brother got first dibs on it. And when I got it it was left out in the rain for a year so the pull cord didn't retract. But that fixed itself and now running as good as could be expected - just needs wheels and a better muffler

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 13, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

InitialDave posted:

You don't get a load of people coming in with beginning-of-season "won't starts"?

I can see how long periods of lack of use would be a pain in the arse with a petrol generator. Doesn't someone make them that run off little gas canisters, they're supposed to be much better for occasional use.

I fix a lot of friends and family small engine stuff with that issue. 100% of the time, here, it's ethanol related carb-gumming. Luckily those little carbs are like <$20 and I just replace the entire assy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I bought a cheapo $150 Walmart special 21" mower in 1998 when I bought our first place. It has a B&S Classic 3.5HP (I think) and I literally cannot kill it. I want to buy a new one but short of sabotaging it, it won't die. I leave it outside all year (including Canadian winter), with as much gas in it as was left when I last used it. Changed the oil twice in 20 years and rinse out the air filter every few. Takes 2 pulls to start from its winter slumber every single year. It literally is more reliable than the Honda we used to have when I was a kid.

Briefly going back to generator chat, I ended up with one of those whisper Firman 1700/2100W units from Costco. So far, impressed. Fired right up first pull as promised, eco mode kicks the idle down unless it needs to speed up and truly is pretty darn quiet. Nice and compact and easily fits under my workbench with all my other power tools. So far, so good. A+ would buy again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I fix a lot of friends and family small engine stuff with that issue. 100% of the time, here, it's ethanol related carb-gumming. Luckily those little carbs are like <$20 and I just replace the entire assy.

If most people can't solve it themselves without replacing parts then that would mean they are hard to maintain by most consumers definition. While they are usually high output relative to purchase cost, in most applications they are higher maintenance. If maintenance effort is a primary factor for the person purchasing, they are often not a good solution.

E.g.
Solar panel + battery compared to gas generators
Push electric mower compared to gas mower

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
While I appreciate all the alternative camping advice, that doesn't really answer my question.
Also, maybe I'm presenting this wrong... Don't think of it as "camping," think of it as more of a micro-festival in the middle of loving nowhere. If I want to get out and enjoy nature I go hiking or fishing. "Camping" is basically a raging party in the woods.
I like to camp for several days to weeks at a time, in places that vehicles are not allowed to travel, with large groups of people that always need to charge this, that or the other, or want to power their air pumps, or mini-fridges, or whatever, and hauling car batteries around to run poo poo is really a bitch.
I like to entertain myself with music and I built a pretty righteous sound system to do so. I think multicolored lights are really fun, I've camped without them, but I'd prefer to bring them.

I brought a dozen lead-acid UPS batteries this trip and it worked out okay but it's really a pain in the rear end and WAY heavier than a single generator.
I've got plenty of battery packs and chargers and solar panels and all sorts of other poo poo but it's really inconvenient, and more often than not gets hosed up by drunk people.

StormDrain posted:

Otherwise either pony up the money for the quiet Honda generators
This was my initial consideration but I'm not sure if spending $1000 for a new one is worth it or not. What's their longevity like? Also, used ones are out of the question because everyone around here wants $900-950 for their beat to poo poo 10 year old ones.

slidebite posted:

Briefly going back to generator chat, I ended up with one of those whisper Firman 1700/2100W units from Costco. So far, impressed. Fired right up first pull as promised, eco mode kicks the idle down unless it needs to speed up and truly is pretty darn quiet. Nice and compact and easily fits under my workbench with all my other power tools. So far, so good. A+ would buy again.

This is legit helpful. Thank you.

cakesmith handyman posted:

How tiny? Biolite stove or similar?
Just like one of those little honda 2000 generators size I think would suffice.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CarForumPoster posted:

If most people can't solve it themselves without replacing parts then that would mean they are hard to maintain by most consumers definition. While they are usually high output relative to purchase cost, in most applications they are higher maintenance. If maintenance effort is a primary factor for the person purchasing, they are often not a good solution.

E.g.
Solar panel + battery compared to gas generators
Push electric mower compared to gas mower

If you can't undo one 1/2" bolt and spray out the carb with solvent, i don't really know what to tell you dude.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

If you can't undo one 1/2" bolt and spray out the carb with solvent, i don't really know what to tell you dude.

Hey, that's awfully presumptuous that people have any kind of skills. I've seen it first hand, they don't.

CarForumPoster posted:

If maintenance effort is a primary factor for the person purchasing, they are often not a good solution.

Unfortunately there are a lot of compromises if you choose to go away from internal combustion. So the people that just literally can't, are going to have to operate in a different environment as those who can.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just like one of those little honda 2000 generators size I think would suffice.

Can't go wrong with a Honda if quiet remote power is your goal...worth mentioning that the HF knockoff is generally considered to be a very good copy. They can even parallel with a Honda if so equipped.

I researched then a bit about a year ago...IIRC the same model that HF sells is also badge engineered as something else on Amazon for even cheaper.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

angryrobots posted:

Can't go wrong with a Honda if quiet remote power is your goal...worth mentioning that the HF knockoff is generally considered to be a very good copy. They can even parallel with a Honda if so equipped.

I researched then a bit about a year ago...IIRC the same model that HF sells is also badge engineered as something else on Amazon for even cheaper.

Those things are really great, especially the auto throttle feature. I've seen eu2k's specifically operating way outside of their advertised envelope for years without melting down or otherwise breaking.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Hey, that's awfully presumptuous that people have any kind of skills. I've seen it first hand, they don't.

You're in a tools thread. The ability to use them should be assumed.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
If you just want a cheap one a pawn shop will have really cheap ones. Its kind of a gamble but you could probably buy 3 for the same amount of money.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Apparently the HF 2000w inverter-generator (Honda copycat) price dropped today to $429. They've run coupons occasionally, and as often as last month, dropping it to $399.

Looks like both the badge engineered models (WEN and Yamaha) are now more expensive than the HF Predator.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

http://www.diablotools.com//products?c=Reciprocating_Blades&material=Pruning

As per usual, Diablo's blades are pro grade. I've used em to cut up 100yr old railway sleepers and they're still sharp as poo poo afterwards and keep on trucking. You'd be lucky to cut up a single sleeper into foot long lengths with a chainsaw before having to sharpen them again

Grabbed some of these, love them. They do make my Hackzall chew through the compact batteries in no time flat so I should really add some bigger M18s to the wishlist.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
When i first read that i was thinking

"What kind of maniac cuts open batteries with a hacksaw, why on earth would you do that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Generac makes a couple different inverter generators that would be a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Honda but probably more reliable and serviceable than the HF.

http://www.generac.com/iq2000