Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HZ I saw you went to 2 NIN shows on FB and thought you were in town but then I realized they did the weird thing where they went SF - LA - Sac. I was gonna say I probably could have found ya ice time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
End of an era tonight, my last bronze game and the team is disbanding due to reduce ice availability at Lakewood next season.
I'm sandbagging on my friends Rookie team to help them make a full team but on the lookout for a new LA area team if anyone has any leads.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ace email me. I will try to get you on the tuesday night torrance pickup email -- it's private and pretty low level but people there have formed aluminum and lower copper teams at torrance and 4v4 copper teams. Everyone is legit really nice and most are from culver city rink (RIP). It usually fills pretty quick but you and your friend should get on it.

Also you should email the iceangeles guys and see if any team is looking to pick someone up. They also skate in this pickup as well.

You can also try Lacy at Toyota Sports Center, I'd try for copper 4v4 but she probably won't respond anyways.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

HZ I saw you went to 2 NIN shows on FB and thought you were in town but then I realized they did the weird thing where they went SF - LA - Sac. I was gonna say I probably could have found ya ice time

Yeah I saw them in SF on Sunday, then in Sac last night. It was kind of strange how they went down to LA between NorCal shows. I think it has something to do with the Sac show being added after the original dates were announced.

Anyway, I've got a scrimmage tonight that I'm going to sport the tinted visor for.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyway, I've got a scrimmage tonight that I'm going to sport the tinted visor for.
dont do it!!!

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
I'll be going back to school in Hamilton starting September and might be looking for some ice-time. I remember playing with you awhile ago, Martytoof, do you still play in the area?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Welp, end of an era for SA Hockey goons as BradF0rd and I will be a league apart next season.

Still, I'm kinda chuffed about my toilet bowl game where I (by all accounts) scored a pretty decent goal, and ate poo poo after scoring. Of course the only thing I could do on my back to make up for it was celly a snow angel.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well that was the worst drills/scrimmage session in history.

The guy who organized it invited what must have been all of bronze league, so we had probably 35-40 people on the ice and he charged $20/pop. The ice cost something like $350 for the 75 minutes, so he made a shitload of profit.

They picked drills where 3 people used the whole ice, so we were standing around for 5-10 minutes between taking our turns. It was awful.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 29, 2014

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Should've started a brawl.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

SAS hockey player thread: brawling our way to the top

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

AAB posted:

SAS hockey player thread: brawling our way to the top

Without concussion causing cages.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well that was the worst drills/scrimmage session in history.

The guy who organized it invited what must have been all of bronze league, so we had probably 35-40 people on the ice and he charged $20/pop. The ice cost something like $350 for the 75 minutes, so he made a shitload of profit.

They picked drills where 3 people used the whole ice, so we were standing around for 5-10 minutes between taking our turns. It was awful.

After the last practice I went to, I just don't want to go to any more unless I know the coach and like how they organize things. It's a shame, but I have better things to do than stand around for 20 minutes waiting for my 2-3 turns to do some drill that is way above or way below my skill level.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

whole ice drills are silly -- at least do half ice drills

I'm not going to lie, it feels really good to bury a bigger and heavier guy with your shoulder. Dude lost the puck at the point and tried to step forward to protect it with his body. I was coming to block and I didn't have time to let up. I felt really bad and stopped chasing the puck and apologized and handed him his stick back but I do kinda miss it. Guy was clearly shocked that he got rocked that badly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

I'm not going to lie, it feels really good to bury a bigger and heavier guy with your shoulder.

But what did your coach say about it when you got back to the bench?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I don't have any hockey this weekend...

...I don't know what to do.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I don't have any hockey this weekend...

...I don't know what to do.
Go drink more than usual?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

real_scud posted:

Go drink more than usual?

Or less than usual?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

sellouts posted:

I'm not going to lie, it feels really good to bury a bigger and heavier guy with your shoulder. Dude lost the puck at the point and tried to step forward to protect it with his body. I was coming to block and I didn't have time to let up. I felt really bad and stopped chasing the puck and apologized and handed him his stick back but I do kinda miss it. Guy was clearly shocked that he got rocked that badly.

I do this a couple times per game and everyone is always surprised. I did get called for interference once though. Usually people don't expect someone who's 5'9" on skates to bump them hard off the puck.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

Welp, end of an era for SA Hockey goons as BradF0rd and I will be a league apart next season.

Still, I'm kinda chuffed about my toilet bowl game where I (by all accounts) scored a pretty decent goal, and ate poo poo after scoring. Of course the only thing I could do on my back to make up for it was celly a snow angel.

:woop: Movin' on up to B1! :woop: (which is really a level of silver anywhere outside of Austin). Not sure if 15 games really counts as "an era" but you did get a shot on me.

The poo poo-eating was hilarious. Good way to learn to act like you scored before. :smugdog:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

AAB posted:

I do this a couple times per game and everyone is always surprised. I did get called for interference once though. Usually people don't expect someone who's 5'9" on skates to bump them hard off the puck.

Im 5'6" and back when I used to play it usually felt like the bigger people fell over me, not me knocking them down.

I miss playing hockey and cant wait until Im done school so I can fall all over the ice while scoring on my own net play again. Needing all new gear is going to loving suck though, especially since school put me so far in the hole already. :smith:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

bgreman posted:

Thanks, pulled the trigger on a discount INT Mako II to replace the one with the bad chip in the toe upthread. It'll be about 2.5" shorter than that one, but I'm sure I can adapt.

Stick arrived earlier this week, about 1.5" shorter than my older Mako M5. Played with it for the first time tonight at pickup and potted 2.5 goals. I love it, just need to get used to the marginally shorter reach. I missed a few passes just past the end of my stick.

Thanks everyone for the INT stick advice!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

But what did your coach say about it when you got back to the bench?

It was during a scrimmage because the other team forfeited due to them going on vacation and not telling anyone. Cool guys.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Well, we had a pretty good game this week. We won 11 - 3. :staredog: The best part was that it didn't get stupid or chippy. We are usually evenly matched with this team but the goalie was just off, I guess. Our better players were just dumping it in or passing it off, and we were still scoring 3 or 4 per period.
I'm OK, not great, at skating backwards, but I mostly played defense this game and I kinda really liked it. I need to learn D positioning better, but I have 1 point in 30-ish games, so I wasn't doing much at wing anyways!

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Sooo this happened:

There isn't Gold/Silver/Bronze here so unless you've played a team before its hard to know what standard they are. Turns out they weren't that good - it was 10-0 after about 8 minutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe I'm too nice but I'd stop trying to score after hitting double digits.

They don't switch to a running clock or something when the score splits that much?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Congrats on your debut in net! :v:

Zip how did that not result in someone being paralyzed? That's still full contact right?

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Haha not even my net debut, I'm not playing in goal for a team until next season (September 1st).

We tried to mitigate the scoreline as much as possible and were double shifting our 3rd line for the whole game and laid off the hitting since a lot of them weren't exactly all that stable on their skates. That said, the worst hit of the game came when one of their guys crossed checked one of our newbies from behind into the boards so the game wasn't without stupidity.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

The goal and eating of poo poo was captured on camera (#13). (51:55 if it's not loading up the time properly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIlYccvN21w&t=3115s

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

The goal and eating of poo poo was captured on camera (#13). (51:55 if it's not loading up the time properly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIlYccvN21w&t=3115s

gently caress. Yeah. I completely forgot that was a loose puck pickup in our end. They just gave room.

EDIT: Now that I have a chance to watch myself, I have a few cringes here and there, like not having my stick down to catch a good centering pass, or not actually crashing the net for rebounds. There's also floating down a bit too far to "cover the D" when I see a guy all ready to snipe at the hashmarks.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 31, 2014

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Took the day off work today to do some stuff for my dad. Meant I got to go for a skate at 10am on a Thursday. Needless to say it was quite empty.

http://imgur.com/NOWHobO

For anyone interested I'm now up to backwards cross overs, slowly getting there. I've also signed up for the next hockey clinic which will include an extra hour of scrimmages for the next term. Not sure if I should start playing drop-in yet... Still loving it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xryokus posted:

Not sure if I should start playing drop-in yet.

Do it! You'll probably be slow and end up behind the play a lot but it's a good way to get used to doing things (like skating, carrying the puck) without having to pay complete attention to them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Play drop-in and also try to find a team willing to take on a newbie. Fall seasons should be starting in the next few weeks so it's a good time to do that.

You'll be poo poo but the experience is worth it, you'll learn a lot faster.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I just love it when it seems there's gonna be an icing and you're at the red line then hit the turbo button and race to the puck beating the only defenceman and waving off the icing.
Too bad I didn't realize until last night that jumping up on the play to attack when playing D. Only problem is getting back when no one is there anymore. :shrug:

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

xryokus posted:

For anyone interested I'm now up to backwards cross overs, slowly getting there. I've also signed up for the next hockey clinic which will include an extra hour of scrimmages for the next term. Not sure if I should start playing drop-in yet... Still loving it.

Let's see what I can do: skate forwards, turn a bit, slow down via plowing, sort of handle the puck, sort of pass.
I've been playing for a few games now and Ive not had a penalty called against me, I got an assist, I've been screening goalies, only had 1 offsides mistake, and in general feel that I'm getting better every game.

What I'm saying is your skating skill is important but just play, being in the right position is the most important thing and you can't learn without playing.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
The glass around the rink isn't to keep hockey in, it's to keep the rest of life out.

Better to be terrible and have a blast than train and master hockey in order to play hockey.
It's a game. It's the best-est game in the whole world but it's a game.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
For NorCal goons: I just got an email from HockeyX saying that they're having a big "Bauer Day" this Saturday from 12-3pm with contests and "huge discounts" on Bauer gear.

Figure it's something worth noting for people wanting to drop by Oakland.

Also I need to get my rear end into a drop-in session and play an actual scrimmage (and enjoy sucking horribly).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Same thing is in San Jose on Friday 12-4.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

AAB posted:

I just love it when it seems there's gonna be an icing and you're at the red line then hit the turbo button and race to the puck beating the only defenceman and waving off the icing.
Too bad I didn't realize until last night that jumping up on the play to attack when playing D. Only problem is getting back when no one is there anymore. :shrug:

I assume this happened in Canada?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

I assume this happened in Canada?

Nope. A bit south of DC. I guess it looked close enough or we were initially close enough I'm the middle that it was a real race. Not 100% sure why they let it go like that. In retrospect that poo poo was super dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Playing defense Wed night, the other team had a forward who was enormous- Probably 6-5, 300. I tried to move him out from the front of the net, he wasn't going anywhere. Other then locking up his stick with mine, not much I could do. Of course I tried getting lower, or setting a pick to keep him out before he got there, with OK results. Once he was where he wanted to be, he was staying. Nice guy and we were joking about it after, but I wish I could have done more. Any ideas?

[img red viper vs mountain jaypeg]