Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Gologle posted:

Monks are great.

Yup. Love me some Barefist passives in FF5

Armor-Piercing posted:

FFIII, although usually you'd replace them with Black Belts.

They were designed to be a straight upgrade. I don't like them too much in 3 because they're too fragile, even more so than in other games. Vikings are where the party is, lightning weapons right before three underwater dungeons? Yes please!

I'm of course talking about the NES version because the DS version can go to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bellmaker posted:

Yup. Love me some Barefist passives in FF5

Pity about their performance past world 1. :negative:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Kyrosiris posted:

Pity about their performance past world 1. :negative:

Nah, they're fine until Moore, it around there their damage starts to tank.

That's around the point I give them a Death Scythe :getin:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 19, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dukerson posted:

I'd say FFVI largely aligned with this too, with the exception of, like, Gau.

Cyan was my favorite character from what I played of VI. I really liked his introduction and the surprisingly touching conclusion to the otherwise goofy Ghos Train segment. But then everyone online says he is total garbage in combat. It made me sad.

What about IX? There is Quina but aren't Zidane and Vivi pretty useful and interesting? Who are the best characters gameplay-wise?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's no real 'bad' characters, gameplay-wise, in FFIX. But then I haven't really used Amarant in my 5+ times playing the game, so maybe he sucks.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

There's no real 'bad' characters, gameplay-wise, in FFIX. But then I haven't really used Amarant in my 5+ times playing the game, so maybe he sucks.

Nah. I'd say the only characters who aren't particularly good in IX are Garent/Dagger (who is less 'bad' and more that Eiko is a straight, superior replacement for her in almost every aspect) and maybe Vivi really late in the game (when Steiner gets weapons and swordskills that make him great for damage even without Vivi and other physical guys start hitting as hard as Vivi does with his magic.) Quina and Freya take some effort to be useful, though, but are probably two of the most powerful characters in the game if you're willing to track down the Blue Magic/kill some dragons.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I love Cyan, but his Bushido...sucks. It's fine early on when all you need is 1 or 2 anyway, but later...it just doesn't cut it without using Economizer + Ultima spam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyan is pretty mechanically the worst character in the game in every way. It is an easy enough game that you can use him and still sleepwalk over the game but he's just bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

Nah. I'd say the only characters who aren't particularly good in IX are Garent/Dagger (who is less 'bad' and more that Eiko is a straight, superior replacement for her in almost every aspect) and maybe Vivi really late in the game (when Steiner gets weapons and swordskills that make him great for damage even without Vivi and other physical guys start hitting as hard as Vivi does with his magic.) Quina and Freya take some effort to be useful, though, but are probably two of the most powerful characters in the game if you're willing to track down the Blue Magic/kill some dragons.

Even with the tons of effort you need to put into Quina she's not all that great. For like 1/50th the effort you can get freya to be reliable dropping 9,999 damage every blow which really calls into question why you'd bother with her. Amarant sucks because he has no bearing on the story and throw is a command designed to make pack rat people like me go insane.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Cyan is pretty mechanically the worst character in the game in every way. It is an easy enough game that you can use him and still sleepwalk over the game but he's just bad.

The way to make Cyan viable is for him to always be an imp, equipped with the imp-only gear, the dragoon boots, and that other relic that makes Jump more powerful.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The first Bushido is actually really, really good until you get to the endgame point where the Offering and poo poo is kicking around and you can deal 5000+ damage a swing even with the damage penalties imposed by multi-attacking.

But yeah, I don't know what character is worse. I guess Sketch and Dance are pretty loving shifty and unreliable, and it's not like having a 10 point Magic lead on Cyan really matters since the only way anybody but Terra/Celes learns spells is espers which can also be used to get him to 128 Magic. I dunno.

Gogo and Umaro are pretty trash, but I'm not sure if they count.

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 20, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The first Bushido is actually really, really good until you get to the endgame point where the Offering and poo poo is kicking around and you can deal 5000+ damage a swing even with the damage penalties imposed by multi-attacking.

But yeah, I don't know what character is worse. I guess Sketch and Dance are pretty loving shifty and unreliable, and it's not like having a 10 point Magic lead on Cyan really matters since the only way anybody but Terra/Celes learns spells is espers which can also be used to get him to 128 Magic. I dunno.

Mog gets Snow Muffler, and Relm, uh... I don't even know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gogo is the best because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPFkD5B5RWQ

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Gogo is a crazy imitation-skilled hobo who lives inside a multidimensional worm and can one-hit-kill the final boss. He is in fact the best character, sorry about how you're wrong.

Edit: Umaro is in fact pretty lame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Mog gets Snow Muffler, and Relm, uh... I don't even know.

Relm has the highest natural Magic stat. As far as mages go she hits max power with least work.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 20, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

alcharagia posted:

He is in fact the best character, sorry about how you're wrong.

One of you is Gogo, I just can't be sure who. (the possess thing owns)

ImpAtom posted:

Relm has the highest natural Magic stat. As far as mages go she hits max power with least work.

On the other hand she's the last character you recruit in the World of Balance, so the time between getting the first espers and unlocking her is time you could've spent raising other peoples' stats.

I'm not really an advocate for Cyan so much as I think other than Gau being OP as poo poo people way exaggerate how imbalanced the characters in FF6 are as a sort of reactionary "heh you thought Sabin and Cyan owned as a kid but actually they suck because math". And I've never actually used Gau because he's too much of a pain in the butt to bother with, so...

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 20, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Despite what the spergs say, Sabin is still awesome because he can hit bosses for 9999 damage with 0 effort or grinding, unlike everyone else in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not really an advocate for Cyan so much as I think other than Gau being OP as poo poo people way exaggerate how imbalanced the characters in FF6 are as a sort of reactionary "heh you thought Sabin and Cyan owned as a kid but actually they suck because math". And I've never actually used Gau because he's too much of a pain in the butt to bother with, so...

It isn't a case of "heh, this character you like sucks." Mechanically they are weak characters and it only doesn't matter because FF6 is so insanely easy. (Sabin is significantly better than Cyan tho.) It doesn't mean nobody likes them. (Sabin rules.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 20, 2013

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

One of you is Gogo, I just can't be sure who. (the possess thing owns)

On the other hand she's the last character you recruit in the World of Balance, so the time between getting the first espers and unlocking her is time you could've spent raising other peoples' stats.

You can't really raise stats much in the World of Balance anyway, can you? You get pretty bad espers until the Magitek lab, and one dungeon after that before the Thamasa stuff where your party's chosen for you. Even ignoring that, Relm gets like +14 from her endgame equipment, so she kind of has a lead on most of 2/3 of the party anyway.

But yeah, you can coast through FF6 even without knowing jack poo poo about anything close to the "optimal" setups.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Last Celebration posted:

But yeah, you can coast through FF6 even without knowing jack poo poo about anything close to the "optimal" setups.

The same can be said for most of the games, really.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The GIG posted:

The same can be said for most of the games, really.

The only one that is difficult is what, FFIII DS?

Wait no, FFXI. That one is a straight up meat grinder.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FFIV DS can be legitimately hard if you don't get it's mechanics.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The only thing about Sabin is that you don't realize unless you specifically experiment with it or learned about it using a FAQ that the majority of Sabin's Blitz's are magic and therefore you actually want to raise him as a mage. That said, my first playthrough he was a straight fisticuffs mofo and he kicked nine hells full of rear end.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Schwartzcough posted:

Despite what the spergs say, Sabin is still awesome because he can hit bosses for 9999 damage with 0 effort or grinding, unlike everyone else in the game.

Meh, Locke does that with basically 0 effort as well (just a pretty straightforward equipment setup of Valiant Knife + Muscle Belt + Red Cap + Offering), but he does it four times.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sabin becomes ridiculous once you learn that you don't need to hit the diagonals to use his Blitzes. Then everything is Bum Rush, all the time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Defiance Industries posted:

Meh, Locke does that with basically 0 effort as well (just a pretty straightforward equipment setup of Valiant Knife + Muscle Belt + Red Cap + Offering), but he does it four times.

Except that requires a specific equipment loadout of rare gear, and you only get Locke after completing basically the hardest dungeon other than the final dungeon. Even then he's not hitting for 9999 four times; closer to 2500 or 3000 unless you grind levels (and why would you do that in a game this easy?). And THAT damage is split up, frequently injuring but not killing several enemies. Usually Setzer with Fixed Dice is a better match with the Offering. And it barely matters because the game is practically over by the time you get him.

On the other hand, you can get Sabin immediately in the WoR and get Bum Rush approximately 10 seconds after getting the Airship, and no equipment is required. You may then proceed to Bum Rush every enemy you come across for the entire second half of the game for free.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best character is the coolest one. Therefore, Interceptor is the best character.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Even though I only realized how similar you can make everyone in 6 on my last playthrough, I still like that the thing that makes each character unique is available at any time during battle. In 7 and 8 they're hidden in limit breaks.
Also since my playthrough before that was when I was a lot younger, I had know idea what Celes's Runic ability did. Not sure how I beat the tunnel armor or Ifrit without knowing that, but I must have done something! (6 owns)

SORRY FOR 13 CHAT: I also finally got 13 and started it a couple of days ago. Boy, you guys weren't kidding about the hallways. Goon hyperbole is A Thing so I took it with a grain of salt, but you literally just walk down a straight line. I actually really don't mind "linear" stuff at all and in fact prefer it in general to modern "open-world" games, I suppose, so we'll see.
I'm still sort of getting the hang of everything, but it's enjoyable so far. The first Eidolon battle kind of reminded me of a lot of 5's gimmicky bosses, which I liked... do they all have some kind of trick?

I'm playing it in English, and while I don't mind the acting, I do wish Lightning expressed her anger just a little bit more, considering the data logs are so insistent that she's actually really pissed.

One question... one thing I didn't like about 12 was that you had to collect a bunch of items and then sell those and that was your cash resource, oh but also there are recipes so don't screw up!... 13 of course has those items, and you can apparently use those for upgrades... should I worry about upgrades yet? They take a bit more resources than I'm willing to convert just yet, though I am still very early on (chapter 4).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elec posted:

SORRY FOR 13 CHAT: I also finally got 13 and started it a couple of days ago. Boy, you guys weren't kidding about the hallways. Goon hyperbole is A Thing so I took it with a grain of salt, but you literally just walk down a straight line. I actually really don't mind "linear" stuff at all and in fact prefer it in general to modern "open-world" games, I suppose, so we'll see.
I'm still sort of getting the hang of everything, but it's enjoyable so far. The first Eidolon battle kind of reminded me of a lot of 5's gimmicky bosses, which I liked... do they all have some kind of trick?

I'm playing it in English, and while I don't mind the acting, I do wish Lightning expressed her anger just a little bit more, considering the data logs are so insistent that she's actually really pissed.

One question... one thing I didn't like about 12 was that you had to collect a bunch of items and then sell those and that was your cash resource, oh but also there are recipes so don't screw up!... 13 of course has those items, and you can apparently use those for upgrades... should I worry about upgrades yet? They take a bit more resources than I'm willing to convert just yet, though I am still very early on (chapter 4).

They all have a gimmick which relates to that character sort of. The voice acting was coached to be terrible and no, nobody knows what dumbass made that decision. Save your recipe juice until later in the game and look up an upgrade guide but if I remember correctly its slap as many multiplier increasing items on the thing first (organic maybe?) then slap all of your flat increase items on it to level things asap.

Endorph posted:

The best character is the coolest one. Therefore, Interceptor is the best character.

Weird way to spell Blackjack and Falcon.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 20, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Elec posted:

Even though I only realized how similar you can make everyone in 6 on my last playthrough, I still like that the thing that makes each character unique is available at any time during battle. In 7 and 8 they're hidden in limit breaks.
Also since my playthrough before that was when I was a lot younger, I had know idea what Celes's Runic ability did. Not sure how I beat the tunnel armor or Ifrit without knowing that, but I must have done something! (6 owns)

Each Eidolon battle is tied to the strengths of the Roles each character has. Snow has to defend a lot in the Shiva battle, because one of his primary Roles is a Sentinel and the whole character trait he has of protecting others.

As for weapon materials, you need to use organic monster drops to up your multiplier high, then use mechanical parts like Superconductors and other things to give you lots of weapon EXP that is then multiplied. However, subsequent use of those types of parts will lower the multiplier again.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Elec posted:

Don't sell any items unless they specifically say "valuable" or "sells for a lot". Moogle dolls, for example, can be safely sold as they have this description and are useless for item upgrades.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It'd probably make more sense to just wait until the end game to start upgrading, when you can just buy in bulk the two or so components you need to maximize upgrading efficiently. You won't really need to upgrade weapons until then, plus the upgrading system's confusing to learn unless you read a FAQ first.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Each Eidolon battle is tied to the strengths of the Roles each character has. Snow has to defend a lot in the Shiva battle, because one of his primary Roles is a Sentinel and the whole character trait he has of protecting others.

The Vanille Eidolon battle is stupid though because you only have two characters (even though you have the whole gang by then) and the other character helping you is terrible at driving up the chain gauge while the Saboteur role is useless for that fight.

Also the default Paradigm pack for that fight is horrible.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The reason why Cyan is mechanically the worst character is because he's the only character whose unique ability locks you out of issuing commands to any other character for a significant chunk of ATB time, so not only is it not particularly great, it drags the whole team down.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
:wtc:

I was fighting Barthandelus 2 and grinding away. This boss battle is annoying in that it's not extremely hard (unless you get hit with dazega on all 3 characters right when you are considering healing), but it's extremely long, so I didn't want to do it again...

and then he cast doom with 1,300,000 HP left. :negative:

What's the mechanic behind this? I checked a couple guides and they all seem to suggest he doesn't do this until 500k or lower.

I literally turned the PS3 off and went to bed when I hit R1 to check his HP when Doom hit. :smith:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm pretty sure that stuff like that serves as a big ingame flag that you're not being nearly aggressive enough.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Yeah. Barthandelus only casts doom once you've taken 20 minutes. You really shouldn't be taking that long to deal with him.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

pretend to care posted:

:wtc:

I was fighting Barthandelus 2 and grinding away. This boss battle is annoying in that it's not extremely hard (unless you get hit with dazega on all 3 characters right when you are considering healing), but it's extremely long, so I didn't want to do it again...

and then he cast doom with 1,300,000 HP left. :negative:

What's the mechanic behind this? I checked a couple guides and they all seem to suggest he doesn't do this until 500k or lower.

I literally turned the PS3 off and went to bed when I hit R1 to check his HP when Doom hit. :smith:

Oh, don't you know? If you take too long to beat certain bosses, they just do that automatically! Fun I know!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pretend to care posted:

FFXIII is a game about being very, very aggressive but most people don't realise this. Most bosses have a "gently caress off" attack they pull out if you take to long that instantly wipes you. What is your strategy for this fight because most boss fights shouldn't be taking anymore than about 5-10 minutes tops. Its a little annoying because its another example of "interesting idea hidden in a backend menu" that FFXIII is so fond of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's something of an ugly compensation for the reduced resource management in FFXIII's system.