Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i do find it amusing tho that uefi and whatever other new low level poo poo was supposed to make that stuff simpler and saner but have mostly just shown that firmware devs are still just as prone to shipping hacky workarounds that only work with the oem os/version. now they just have more space to gently caress poo poo up in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NAT-T Ice posted:

i do find it amusing tho that uefi and whatever other new low level poo poo was supposed to make that stuff simpler and saner but have mostly just shown that firmware devs are still just as prone to shipping hacky workarounds that only work with the oem os/version. now they just have more space to gently caress poo poo up in

EFI actually was simpler and saner

UEFI was intel buckling under pressure and mixing all the crazy back in

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would love it if Thinkpads no longer supported linux because then maybei could get a good work computer instead of a garbage work computer

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I've had my thinkpad for a year and the 'f' key is already broken

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i would love it if Thinkpads no longer supported linux because then maybei could get a good work computer instead of a garbage work computer

what about a Dell

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
that's just Linux not supporting an Intel peripheral, not anything else. Ubuntu boots, it just doesn't recognize the hard drive.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
what exactly is "legacy ahci mode" ? ahci mode is kind of the standard

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

EFI actually was simpler and saner

UEFI was intel buckling under pressure and mixing all the crazy back in

Lol. UEFI is compiled with regular CC toolchains, which are nefarious for doing stupid poo poo with memory.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

mike12345 posted:

So basically Microsoft is getting scared of Linux (again), and makes sweet deals with hardware manufacturers?

Suspicious Dish posted:

that's just Linux not supporting an Intel peripheral, not anything else. Ubuntu boots, it just doesn't recognize the hard drive.

yeah apparently it's something like

a - microsoft's signature edition poo poo requires mfrs to lock uefi bios settings into the "highest performing" mode
b - someone at lenovo decided that enabling intel raid is highest performance
c - chipset's super new and linux doesn't support its intel raid mode yet, or something like that

i haven't been able to figure out why the gently caress putting a single ssd into "raid" mode makes any sense but whatever, that's well within the normal range of lenovo incompetence and/or random pc-industry technical weirdness

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Ah, that also adequately explains the employee's "locked" response. Since it's a BIOS setting that's locked that's otherwise unrelated to Linux, except for the fact that Linux doesn't support it.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
whats a good light 14 inch or less laptop that supports linux well and is faster than my 2013 macbook air with an i7-4650u

intel hd is fine

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
apparently a dell xps 13

the casing still looks extremely cheap and lovely though, at least compared to macbook aluminum and thinkpad x1 :pcgaming: carbon fiber :pcgaming:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Olivil posted:

whats a good light 14 inch or less laptop that supports linux well and is faster than my 2013 macbook air with an i7-4650u

intel hd is fine
dell xps 13 is extremely good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

apparently a dell xps 13

the casing still looks extremely cheap and lovely though, at least compared to macbook aluminum and thinkpad x1 :pcgaming: carbon fiber :pcgaming:
that casing looks better than your posts for sure

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

i know a guy who had a xps 13 and the case cracked (from the esc key to the corner of the case) in like 6 months and dell wouldnt honor it under warranty

the guy is usually pretty careful with his stuff so lol nope

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

apparently a dell xps 13

I have an xps15 and its real good. the carbon fiber hand rests are gr8 but then its got aluminum on the outside.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that casing looks better than your posts for sure

i mean that's not a very high bar to clear tbf

Olivil posted:

i know a guy who had a xps 13 and the case cracked (from the esc key to the corner of the case) in like 6 months and dell wouldnt honor it under warranty

the guy is usually pretty careful with his stuff so lol nope

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

nothing supports the peripheral, not even windows 10

lenovo had to slipstream the driver lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lightbulb Out posted:

what exactly is "legacy ahci mode" ? ahci mode is kind of the standard

it's legacy because lenovo doesn't think you need it anymore clearly :q:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Truga posted:

:rip: linux on the lenovo laptop

this is illegal right

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

lol i was looking into linux support for the "new" macbook (the 12 inch one) and nowadays pretty much everything works with minimal fixes....

BUT the keyboard and trackpad still don't work to this day

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Olivil posted:

lol i was looking into linux support for the "new" macbook (the 12 inch one) and nowadays pretty much everything works with minimal fixes....

i just fire up linux in vmware any time i want to be reminded why i stopped using it on the desktop

e: forgot that i was using the good vm not the ok one

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 21, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that's okay, the keyboard doesn't work in macos, either

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

i just fire up linux in parallels any time i want to be reminded why i stopped using it on the desktop

this really, linux on the server and in a vm or ten, but running it on the metal on a laptop/desktop is not really worth it in any way

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I haven't used mac os since 10.8 but it seemed like it was pretty loving bad, how is it nowadays?

it sucks cause macbooks suit the gently caress out of my needs hardware wise but mac os is so bad...

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this really, linux on the server and in a vm or ten, but running it on the metal on a laptop/desktop is not really worth it in any way

preferably i wouldn't even run linux on bare metal, just osx and esxi

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Olivil posted:

lol you're probably using ubuntu

use a non-lovely distro and embrace the light of libinput

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

i use arch with i3

it suits the gently caress out of my software needs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

lol you're probably using ubuntu

use a non-lovely distro and embrace the light of libinput

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/44694.html

tl;dr:

Intel storage controllers can be configured to show up as either standard AHCI controllers or a non-standard "RAID controller"

Intel storage controllers require special magic bullshit that the Windows AHCI driver doesn't support in order for power management to actually work

the stock Windows AHCI driver will bind to the AHCI controllers automatically

Lenovo set the firmware to switch the storage controller into RAID mode to force the non-standard Intel drivers to get loaded instead of the stock Windows AHCI driver. there's no way to change this because why would they care?

there are no magic Intel AHCI drivers for Linux

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Olivil posted:

I haven't used mac os since 10.8 but it seemed like it was pretty loving bad, how is it nowadays?

it sucks cause macbooks suit the gently caress out of my needs hardware wise but mac os is so bad...

it's fine. once you get your choice of macports/homebrew set up and maybe remap the keys a bit it's just like using a linux, except with fewer things randomly not working. it even does virtual desktops well these days.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

it's fine. once you get your choice of macports/homebrew set up and maybe remap the keys a bit it's just like using a linux, except with fewer things randomly not working. it even does virtual desktops well these days.

lol homebrew

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

lol @ the commenters accusing mjg59 of being a Microsoft shill

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

homebrew is loving fantastic

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I've had my thinkpad for a year and the 'f' key is already broken

a person in your position (writing Linux code) should be using a Mac

they don't actually expect you to also use Linux through anything besides ssh do they?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Olivil posted:

intel hd is fine

13in MacBook Pro with Retina Display

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Olivil posted:

it wasn't bad and it's not bad now, the day after macOS 10.12 was released

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

homebrew is loving fantastic

shameful posting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

13in MacBook Pro with Retina Display

broadcom wireless, two generations ago chipset

fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

a person in your position (writing Linux code) should be using a Mac

they don't actually expect you to also use Linux through anything besides ssh do they?

you sad man. apple is a consumer electronics firm. mac sales don't drive phone sales. what is your division really for?

how is it going to feel when they abandon your entire division in favor of being microsoft partners