Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guts and bolts posted:

Like, two generic TIE Advanceds, plus a shuttle, plus OLeader - that is a list with zero room for error against Thug Lyfe, or even the troll HWK+TLTx2 with a stresshog and blockers list, if I had to hazard a guess. You've been having success with your four-ship build - have you faced many massed TLTs? How would you describe your list as performing against your local meta? I actually have no idea what your scene is like, ConfusedUs - I don't know if it's ever come up before.

One or two TLTs don't both me, but mass TLTs is easily the worst matchup for my 4-ship list. It really comes down to the first round or two of shooting.

And 3 K-Wings is harder than 4 Y-Wings or a HWK/Y-Wing mix.

The first engagement is key. TLTs do low but consistent damage. Each one you kill makes it that much easier to survive the next round.

Focus on one turret at a time. This is hardest with K-Wings, who will often SLAM away if hurt, but super easy with Y-Wings and HWKs

Try to end up just beyond range 3 on the first approach, then get to range 1 if possible for the next. This is easier said than done, and you definitely don't want to overshoot.

If possible, get into different donut holes so the turrets have to split their fire, but don't split YOUR fire to do so.

Bring the shuttle into the fight. The extra gun can make or break the first engagement. It's also an amazing blocker.

Don't chase the turrets. Break off, regroup, and then attack. Hit them en masse again and again.

Don't use Wampa's ability just because you can. Most turrets have a ton of hull; Wampa isn't going to kill them solo. Taking out two shields is often better than taking out one hull. Exception: Miranda. It's a good idea to Wampa her (and any regen ace). But even then, don't be afraid to use Palp to avoid damage instead of saving him for Wampa.

Edit: My local meta is huge on regen aces and aces in general, but we have two guys who play all turrets all the time. One because he gravitates towards whatever "I-Win" button exists, and that is TLTs right now. The other seems to genuinely enjoy it.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This is probably a terrible idea, but...

Poe Dameron (31)
Adaptability (+1) (0)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

"Red Ace" (29)
R2-D6 (1)
Comm Relay (3)
Juke (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Kyle Katarn (21)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Jan Ors (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Action economy for Poe plus a way to reliably get Red Ace's Juke gimmick functioning.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Corbeau posted:

Poe Dameron (31)
Adaptability (+1) (0)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

"Red Ace" (29)
R2-D6 (1)
Comm Relay (3)
Juke (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Kyle Katarn (21)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Jan Ors (2)

Action economy for Poe plus a way to reliably get Red Ace's Juke gimmick functioning.

Stresshog would fill that third slot way better than the HWK.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
But then Poe doesn't get free Focus tokens.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Some Numbers posted:

And Red Ace can't get on the Juke train.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Some Numbers posted:

Poe doesn't get free focus tokens when the HWK gets PS killed in round 2, either.

Red Ace with Juke is... interesting. I hadn't noticed that; I think it's super risky; Red Ace without regen can easily miss out almost entirely on her pilot ability by just taking 3 damage the first time she gets shot.

It's an interesting list, but I don;t think the HWK will pull its weight.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corbeau posted:

Poe Dameron (31)
Adaptability (+1) (0)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

"Red Ace" (29)
R2-D6 (1)
Comm Relay (3)
Juke (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Kyle Katarn (21)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Jan Ors (2)

I've often wondered about how effectively Red Ace and Juke would work with Comm Relay. I guess the idea is that you use your "stored" evade token and then replace it, getting a bit of action economy and letting you use Juke? Is that worth the points?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I mean, I don't think Red Ace is worth the points even with regen. It's just amusing to stack multiple gimmicks, and thanks to Jan Ors you'll always start with an evade token.

I'd also consider doing it with a B-Wing/E2.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Took Strobe's XXX to my first NYC tournament. Did great against Imperial 3 ships (rip whisper), but two TLT lists both walked on me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I won a small winter kit tourney with a starviper today.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Huh, that Alex Davy interview is the first place I've heard them describing TLT as a bit of a mistake. I wonder if they'll be printing a counterplay or taking more direct steps (or just not doing anything!)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

General Battuta posted:

Huh, that Alex Davy interview is the first place I've heard them describing TLT as a bit of a mistake. I wonder if they'll be printing a counterplay or taking more direct steps (or just not doing anything!)

I think the design goal with the TLT was to make a turret that was actually a good value in and of itself and not just as a second shot for BTL-A4, and they went a little too aggressive.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I really don't mind playing against TLT as a one-of, but I admit that even after just one tournament I'm dreading having to deal with another 3x/4x TLT game.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Panzeh posted:

I won a small winter kit tourney with a starviper today.

I would like to know more.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, question: How would you handle it if you found a player that had an illegal list in the fourth round of a store champ event?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

grassy gnoll posted:

I would like to know more.

Boba Fett (Scum) (39)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Seismic Charges (2)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Glitterstim (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Guri (30)
Predator (3)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Glitterstim (2)
Autothrusters (2)
Virago (1)

The basic idea is that Guri is a meta choice against generics and TLTs. She utterly demolishes the Gold/Thug with TLT, and she's also potent against most of the generic field with her out-PSing them.

To find the right pairing with her, I thought about something good against aces, and my best thought was Boba Fett, so I built a super boba designed to hunt aces. That's what he did. At the final round he psyched out a palp(decimator)/fel list to the point where the player bumped Fel twice which was pretty much game over after he got hit with the seismic.

I'm fairly well convinced that the only non-luck-based way for scum to hunt aces is to use something like Ps10 boba. I tried Slaver with Bossk/Gunner/Tactician and it was far too dependent on luck to work. Rebels have stresshogs, imperials have bids and higher PS aces, scum.. not sure.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Gate posted:

So, question: How would you handle it if you found a player that had an illegal list in the fourth round of a store champ event?

Just quietly point it out only if it mattered. I've run into people cheating and they were still at the bottom table so i didn't bother

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Gate posted:

It depends are they anywhere near the top cut?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Gate posted:

Murd' 'em

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Gate posted:

Assume they had an illegal list the entire time and change all their results to losses and DQ them from the event?

Went 2-1 tonight, using a TIE/FO mini-swarm and the shuttle. 3x Zeta squadron pilots, Epsilon leader, and Yorr (tactician and captive on board) are good for both causing and clearing stress, with EL clearing stress off of himself/everyone at range 1 feeling fairly powerful. One of the guys I normally play likes to bring the stresshog, so I might've overcorrected a bit in responding to that with Yorr and EL :v:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

zVxTeflon posted:

It depends are they anywhere near the top cut?

I got paired down against them in Round 5 (I was 3-1), because they just game him a game loss in round 4, and left his other wins intact, despite his list being over on points for all 4 matches. So he ended up 2-2, gets paired up, and I lost because it was a crazy silver bullet for my list. Knocked me out of top 8, and possibly top 4, because I had much better odds against any other player. Literally no one else had a list like his.

Oh, and he was a judge. Who managed to add up his points wrong when submitting his list. And apparently this wasn't noticed? I have no idea how/if lists are entered for the tournament software though, or if they're vetted.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Poe doesn't get free focus tokens when the HWK gets PS killed in round 2, either.

Red Ace with Juke is... interesting. I hadn't noticed that; I think it's super risky; Red Ace without regen can easily miss out almost entirely on her pilot ability by just taking 3 damage the first time she gets shot.

It's an interesting list, but I don;t think the HWK will pull its weight.

You probably never noticed it because Red Ace doesn't have an EPT upgrade available.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

The Gate posted:

I got paired down against them in Round 5 (I was 3-1), because they just game him a game loss in round 4, and left his other wins intact, despite his list being over on points for all 4 matches. So he ended up 2-2, gets paired up, and I lost because it was a crazy silver bullet for my list. Knocked me out of top 8, and possibly top 4, because I had much better odds against any other player. Literally no one else had a list like his.

Oh, and he was a judge. Who managed to add up his points wrong when submitting his list. And apparently this wasn't noticed? I have no idea how/if lists are entered for the tournament software though, or if they're vetted.

That's some sketchy poo poo right there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hencoe posted:

That's some sketchy poo poo right there.

Agreed. Snitch that poo poo out to ffg. Judges should prob not even be playing themselves

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

What do you make of this XXX variant

quote:

XXX TORPS

99 points

PILOTS

Wes Janson (32)
X-Wing (29), R3-A2 (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (38)
X-Wing (29), BB-8 (2), Proton Torpedoes (4), Push the Limit (3), Guidance Chips (0)

Biggs Darklighter (29)
X-Wing (25), R2-D2 (4), Integrated Astromech (0)

Wes turns off Phantoms, Biggs draws fire, hopefully if I run into TLT lists I can alpha down one of them fast enough with the torpedoes to get an advantage. I'll definitely miss Predator on Wedge, though...

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

zVxTeflon posted:

Agreed. Snitch that poo poo out to ffg. Judges should prob not even be playing themselves

It's allowed outside of premier events, as long as there's more than 1 judge, which there was. And for some reason there's nothing in the X-Wing tournament rules regarding cheating, or illegal lists, etc. Only sportsmanship and delay of game for some reason. Really sucks though, I feel like I got robbed. And the worst part is the guy that beat me is still ranked way below me, because he had worse MOV even after winning over me. Had two 100-0 wins, my only loss I still got 45 points against Brunas (which was a super close game and awesome). Lost out on top 8 by 22 points. Ugh.

General Battuta posted:

Wes turns off Phantoms, Biggs draws fire, hopefully if I run into TLT lists I can alpha down one of them fast enough with the torpedoes to get an advantage. I'll definitely miss Predator on Wedge, though...

Outside of the torpedo, you'll be able to target lock though, which is better.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I played in my first store championship. I got slaughtered 1-4 which I more or less expected. I don't really play competitively, I just buy lots of stuff and play with friends mostly. I do browse builds and such online, and have played in my local store. My local store isn't competitive at all. i've never really seen anything approaching a "stock" list. in fact a lot of the time they prefer to play 150 point games.

I played Super Dash and Poe, I have flown Dash a couple times and Poe once or twice. My first round I know I made a ton of mistakes, but my opponent was also fair casual and this was her first event also. Afer that I got tlt'd 3 times. Wow is that card annoying. It is frustrating that my dice and focus tokens are just not relevant on defense a lot of the time. I faced Kavil and/or Horton most games, and the amount of 3 hit TLT's was just crazy. I had a good time all together, got my cool C-3PO and I got a condolence prize $20 in store credit that I used to get one of those great Bespin playmats.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

I think Predator on Wedge is still superior in this list. Especially if you're trying to burn down TLTs, where you'll get two rerolls per attack anyway and all Push the Limit will do is lock you to green maneuvers for the game. Torps and Chips are absolutely fine without a focus. You can use Predator to reroll one if you somehow get more than two, and the Chips/Torps themselves will turn two of them into crits. After that you're focusing every turn with whatever maneuver you want and get most of a target lock that's action independent.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Had fun at a Store Champs today! Played against Vader/Palp twice in my first two games and just couldn't handle it, did better in the second game though.

Top two are Kavil/Palob/Serissu/Z95 vs Poe w/ Weapons Guidance, BB-8 PTL Wedge, and a Stressbot, both of which obviously caused a lot of discussion because :stare:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

That's awesome.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Koopa Kid posted:

Had fun at a Store Champs today! Played against Vader/Palp twice in my first two games and just couldn't handle it, did better in the second game though.

Top two are Kavil/Palob/Serissu/Z95 vs Poe w/ Weapons Guidance, BB-8 PTL Wedge, and a Stressbot, both of which obviously caused a lot of discussion because :stare:

Does Poe's ability work simultaneously with weapons guidance? As in, have a focus token, roll a hit focus blank, use his ability to turn the focus to a hit and then use weapons guidance to spend the focus and turn the blank to a hit?

Cool in place of a reroll I guess, but leaves you no focus for defense. I would probably rather spend the extra point for predator.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Does Poe's ability work simultaneously with weapons guidance? As in, have a focus token, roll a hit focus blank, use his ability to turn the focus to a hit and then use weapons guidance to spend the focus and turn the blank to a hit?

Cool in place of a reroll I guess, but leaves you no focus for defense. I would probably rather spend the extra point for predator.

That's a great question, I honestly don't know because I never saw it happen when I was spectating.

The Scum list ended up winning, I'll post it when I'm back home because it is a thing of weird beauty.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

The Gate posted:

That sounds really lovely dude. Especially since the guy was also a judge. I would think that he should get DQ'd from the whole tournament, but I guess it doesn't work like that. Hell, if I was a judge and I accidentally did that, I'd remove myself from the tournament, because you know...integrity.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Yes, you can use the focus for his ability then spend it for weapons guidance.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In the case of simultaneous effects from one player (both say "when attacking), that player chooses the order in which they resolve. You may use Poe's ability, and then spend the focus token to change a blank to a hit.

I'd still rather keep it for defense.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Koopa Kid posted:

Lol I knew it was Mike when I saw that list and it was confirmed when I went to Facebook and he posted his winning plaque. Dude was running a list like that for months and he's a good player so no wonder he won.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is Tycho w/ Rage, A-Wing Test Pilot, PtL, Prockets, and Autothruster not particularly worth it for 35 points? Obviously the Prockets would hit hard but I'm wondering how much damage he would do outside of that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The XXX I took did really well the first two rounds.

Wedge - BB-8, Predator, IA
Wes - VI, R3-A2, IA
Luke - VI, R2-D2, IA

First round was against: Xizor (VI, FCS, Autothrusters, Dampeners, Virago), two TLT Y-wings and a naked Z. Once I blew through Xizor, I had Wedge and Luke left and he didn't have a chance.

Second round was: 4 TIE Advanced with Titles and Accuracy Corrector, and a naked Dark Curse. First four or so turns we both circled around until he took a guess that I was going to continue circling while I went all in; two of his Advanced and Dark Curse were facing the wrong way. On that turn and the next, I killed an Advanced each. In the end, it was a full health Luke against one advanced; we almost went to time because neither of us could get in a good shot until look finally had a range 1 with Focus and TL. At least 90% of my shots had at least one crit, and Wedge threw in a 3 crit 1 hit shot at one point, unmodified. This guy went on to win the tournament.

Third round was: Guri (Virago, Predator, Autothrusters, Sensor Jammer), naked Z95, TLT Y-wing and Torkil Mux with Ion Cannon turret. This is where my luck ran out; I bumped both Wes and Luke when I had a good shot on the Z and they both missed. Wedge took it down to one health then everything spread out. I wasn't able to get one ship into focus and he kept using Mux's ability to good effect along with the Ion Turret. Wedge put up a fight though, he was the last one alive. The Z-95 barely went over a rock and blew up, and Wedge managed to sneak the last damage through on Mux before getting blown out.

I had to leave at this point but I would have been out of the top 4 anyway. BB-8 seems well worth it for Wedge, to get those odd angles.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is Tycho w/ Rage, A-Wing Test Pilot, PtL, Prockets, and Autothruster not particularly worth it for 35 points? Obviously the Prockets would hit hard but I'm wondering how much damage he would do outside of that.

His PS8 is a bit of a liability. A lot of a liability, in fact, but he is immune to stress attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Lol I knew it was Mike when I saw that list and it was confirmed when I went to Facebook and he posted his winning plaque. Dude was running a list like that for months and he's a good player so no wonder he won.

I'm really happy he won, dude looked like he was having a blast and seemed really nice.

Here's the full list:

Serissu (20)
Squad Leader (2)

Kavil (24)
Opportunist (4)
Blaster Turret (4)
R4 Agromech (2)

Palob Godalhi (20)
Bodyguard (2)
Blaster Turret (4)
Recon Specialist (3)
Moldy Crow (3)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Serissu rolls in back to give defensive rerolls and free actions, Palob steals tokens so that Kavil can Blaster Turret them for 5 dice with Opportunist and increases defense with a never-ending stack of focus. Whole lotta folks didn't even know what to make of it. This is exactly the kind of house of cards list I'd never let myself make, but flown so well that it just wrecks.

• Locked thread