Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The King of Swords and Lord of the Seven-Part World has already foreseen your needs and desires. As such, substitutions are strictly forbidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ashcans posted:

The Rats in the Walls is actually about the existential horror of discovering that you may have an Irish ancestor.

i knew there was a reason i related to the protagonist

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Although he would probably make a decent arepa or samosa, I think Solomon David's ego would inevitably draw him to döner kebab.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dr Cheeto posted:

The King of Swords and Lord of the Seven-Part World has already foreseen your needs and desires. As such, substitutions are strictly forbidden.

That path doesn't lead to royalty, but to be fair king bae can grate cheese on his six packs.

Bongo Bill posted:

Although he would probably make a decent arepa or samosa, I think Solomon David's ego would inevitably draw him to döner kebab.

:yeshaha:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ElMaligno posted:

Obviously Solomon would open up a flat bread stand and serve it with the finest of food and finest of meats. none of this noodle nonsense.

I mean, I feel like you're joking, but....

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bongo Bill posted:

Solomon David creates suffering without realizing it so that he can make himself feel good+strong by relieving it. His people work themselves to the bone for his sake, but the benefit is not his glory (as they think) but his pride. He doesn't have to stage a scene like this for Zaid, because this scene plays out wherever he goes and his entire civilization is designed to create scenes like this. The demiurges change their worlds to suit their self-image, because they're all-powerful narcissists.

I wish to reference once more the Parable of Solomon David And The Baby. All things considered, it was a somewhat reasonable judgement and it's definitely better to reside in Dave's seventh than Mottom's (and maybe Mammon's, because, well, bankers), but, well.

“The Star Emperor is a man of great stature, with an oiled beard and stern countenance. He does not concern himself, as his kin do, with plotting and scheming against each other, but chiefly with the exercise of ruling. His primary concern is justice. His subjects live fairly, peaceably, and one might say even well, if not for the heavy blade of the law constantly grazing the tender skin of their necks.”

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean, I feel like you're joking, but....

Oh sorry you wanted me to say he would open up a bagel shop because his name is the same as the legendary King Solomon of Israel.

actually he would open up a fusion restaurant and serve everything and anything you want because committing himself to a regional cuisine is beyond him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

On that note:

Mottom: fried bananas
Incubus: tamales
Mammon: waffles
Jadis: ice cream
Gog-Agog: okonomiyaki
Jagganoth: whole roast pig

Somebody check my work here.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I'm not seeing Dippin' Dots.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not seeing Dippin' Dots.

Zoss.

Edit: No, that can't be right. Dippin' Dots vendors are machines. There's no royalty there.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 15, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bongo Bill posted:

Zoss.

Edit: No, that can't be right. Dippin' Dots vendors are machines. There's no royalty there.

2 Michael

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It's impossible to be a good person and also attempt to rule 111,111 universes by your autocratic will. Zoss was the closest to a decent ruling king because the sum total of his rulership appears to be 'sitting on an impressive throne brooding at people.'

And then he just let a loving cosmomachy happen so, uh, turns out there's none good.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bongo Bill posted:

gently caress you for making me want döner kebab. There's plenty of great authentic kebabs in this city but I crave the stupid imitation that doesn't exist anywhere on this forsaken continent.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

lovecraft was a man who had an extreme case of broke-brains and was afraid of basically everything that he didnt perceive as white people or made by white people

for example, you probably found the word cyclopean at some point or another in his work. this is what he was referring to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclopean_masonry

See, and I thought it just meant "huge, like a Cyclops was huge"

Learn something new every day

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cyclopean is almost always used to describe a structure that is vast or towering though, there's just something about the image of a gigantic building that was made by stacking up rough stone.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Yeah, Dippin' Dots are absolutely what someone detached from humanity would create as a form of dessert.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

what a marvelous reward for the studhunks of labor, to see their harddaddy disrobe in front of them and pack away some giant slabs

All rise for the anthem of the Celestial Empire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tollymain posted:

solomon david's mistake is that he thinks people can be dragged into enlightenment

Rules with fear to get results, constantly puzzled why his people never seem able to relax

I don't see Solomon David dissembling or lying, except possibly to himself. He seems like very much a "gently caress you, I am Paternum" kind of guy.

Definitely to himself, although it's more doublethink than lying. This scene is like some classic benevolent CEO poo poo where they descend from their fuckin ivory tower to save a few lucky underlings from the tyranny of middle management, even though internally they have to know that their company functioning the way it does relies on that tyranny and they're implicitly cool with it while it's not happening in their direct line of sight.

I mean congrats if you've never experienced this firsthand, it gives you some major emotional whiplash though and is a pretty huge red flag to get the hell out if you can

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 15, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr Christmas posted:

All rise for the anthem of the Celestial Empire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sblR0eIRW-I

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Zoss runs one of those funnelcake stands that serves fried oreos and fried coke syrup and will deep fry literally anything you'd be willing to put in your mouth

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
goddammit now I want funnel cake

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

The Lord of Hats posted:

gently caress you for making me want döner kebab. There's plenty of great authentic kebabs in this city but I crave the stupid imitation that doesn't exist anywhere on this forsaken continent.

Can y'all explain this kebab thing to a stupid American? Both why doner kebab would be more Royalty than eg samosas, but also I don't get the reference to 'imitation kebab'.

Also, if Gog-Agog does okonomiyaki I know which seventh of creation I'm gonna be living in!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As an american, doner kebab owns

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Here's a leak of the next page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjElZ-O9EpM&t=11s

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah, weve pretty strictly established solomon isnt running a utopia here

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont know what doner kebab is and i live in a place w a shitload of foodcarts

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's shawarma, but from Turkey.

e/ more descriptively, it's sliced rotisserie meat. Usually inside bread, but honestly everything after the rotisserie is optional. Same is true of Greek Gyros.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 15, 2018

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
poo poo this sequence is very, very good

Solomon David builds pristine spires on the backs of his people but fancies himself a noble father so he's too squeamish to actually watch them being built

loving nice

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
so we've got Nadia Om, who is terrified of her own realm and hides behind artificial longevity grown from the corpse of her husband so she can remain beautiful as she believes is expected of her

Incubus squats behind a court of addicted sycophants living in mortal terror of his peers and predecessor.

Mammon is too far gone to even remember why he acquired all his wealth, and is attended by a legion of insane accountants dedicated to keeping him in blissful ignorance of the outside world

And Solomon David appears to be some kind of reluctant tyrant who makes his people bleed themselves but can't stand to actually watch them do so

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

paranoid randroid posted:

poo poo this sequence is very, very good

Solomon David builds pristine spires on the backs of his people but fancies himself a noble father so he's too squeamish to actually watch them being built

loving nice

Thats the problem with being a daddy dom, if you stop half way through to give your boyfriend a hug it breaks the immersion and they go flacid. Even if you really really want too.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

paranoid randroid posted:

so we've got Nadia Om, who is terrified of her own realm and hides behind artificial longevity grown from the corpse of her husband so she can remain beautiful as she believes is expected of her

Incubus squats behind a court of addicted sycophants living in mortal terror of his peers and predecessor.

Mammon is too far gone to even remember why he acquired all his wealth, and is attended by a legion of insane accountants dedicated to keeping him in blissful ignorance of the outside world

And Solomon David appears to be some kind of reluctant tyrant who makes his people bleed themselves but can't stand to actually watch them do so
Getting this weird sense that Royalty is not very well adjusted.

Re: doner kebab derail: sorry I mean, I know what it is, but I don't get how something could be imitation doner kebab, and I also don't get why it's more appropriate for XxSolDaddy37xX's ego compared to other foods from the Near East.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I made that post using only my feelings. There is no logical explanation. I wish you luck on your future endeavors.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dave's gonna push that block up with a single hand because he truly loves his children and doesn't want to see them toil and suffer just for him. They'll be all "wow paternum that's so cool I wish we could do that". Of course they can't because they're not immortal god-kings but that won't stop them from trying, even to their own detriment.

Basically Dave's problem is that he rules an entire empire of people with daddy paternum issues.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's impossible to be a good person and also attempt to rule 111,111 universes by your autocratic will. Zoss was the closest to a decent ruling king because the sum total of his rulership appears to be 'sitting on an impressive throne brooding at people.'

And then he just let a loving cosmomachy happen so, uh, turns out there's none good.

uh do we actually know that Zoss was a decent ruling king? he honestly seems like he would be really lovely at actually creating a good environment for the people under his rule. in fact he seems like he would give zero shits about anybody's happiness

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Joe Slowboat posted:

K6BD isn't even a little cosmic horror. And while there's crossover moments, the basic ideological underpinnings of Conan the Cimmerian make it pretty tendentious to say that Howard's friendship with Lovecraft mean his stories are 'in' Lovecraft's universe (and thankfully so; Conan's two-fisted humanism means that cosmic alien forces end up in stories like the Tower of the Elephant, which could never have been written by HPL).

All of which goes to say, Cthulhu would be mega-chumped in the omniverse because only something with broadly human psychology has the Flame of Want. Big blobby cosmic horrors would and probably do get their faceless faces shoved in by furious dumbasses and kung fu angels in this setting by default.

imo howard is extremely k6bd

HP, howard, and like two of their other friends did used to do those things where they each wrote part of a short story and one ended up saved in HPs letters -- iirc it was like this

Dude 1: hey it's me you're regular dweebish geologist out camping looking for rocks heh
Dude 2: oh poo poo I found an ALIEN ROCK
HP (4 times longer than everyone else combined): Oh I got brain swapped between a hosed up alien worm this is TERRIBLE and the space worms have a TERRIBLE POWER
Howard (shortest segment): Yeah that sucked but you know what wormds are strong but the WILL OF MAN IS STRONGER *kills and devours a incomprehensible alien god* *Starts a new celestial empire*

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

A big flaming stink posted:

uh do we actually know that Zoss was a decent ruling king? he honestly seems like he would be really lovely at actually creating a good environment for the people under his rule. in fact he seems like he would give zero shits about anybody's happiness

what does happiness have to do with being the ruling king

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

That's pretty much why he let the demiurges take over, and then when he got tired of their bullshit, sought an heir.

Then he chose "insecure barista with a drinking problem" for the role.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eh, im p sure he had a hand in the society of the demiurges early on and thats when poo poo was p good

a really good question that i havent ever seen anybody ask is this: what the hell was zoss up to while it went to hell? whats he been doing for the last thousand years?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

HP, howard, and like two of their other friends did used to do those things where they each wrote part of a short story and one ended up saved in HPs letters -- iirc it was like this

Dude 1: hey it's me you're regular dweebish geologist out camping looking for rocks heh
HP (4 times longer than everyone else combined): Oh I got brain swapped between a hosed up alien worm this is TERRIBLE and the space worms have a TERRIBLE POWER
Howard (shortest segment): Yeah that sucked but you know what wormds are strong but the WILL OF MAN IS STRONGER *kills and devours a incomprehensible alien god* *Starts a new celestial empire*
Ah, so writer slapfights in comic books are just tradition, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The Challenge from Beyond, a round-robin collaboration with CL Moore, A Merritt, and Frank Belknap Long. And it's not (just) THE WILL OF MAN, it's

quote:

From that final lap of senselessness, he emerged with a full understanding of his situation. His mind was imprisoned in the body of a frightful native of an alien planet, while, somewhere on the other side of the universe, his own body was housing the monster’s personality.

He fought down an unreasoning horror. Judged from a cosmic standpoint, why should his metamorphosis horrify him? Life and consciousness were the only realities in the universe. Form was unimportant. His present body was hideous only according to terrestrial standards. Fear and revulsion were drowned in the excitement of titanic adventure.