Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Set up a scanner room (or you already have one, of course), then pilot the scanner orb over and around the kelp area where the stalkers hang out. In particular a spot where there's salvage they like to play with.

Sometimes, your scanner room can't actually pick up a particular object until 'you' have travelled within a certain radius of it in a session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Aoi posted:

Set up a scanner room (or you already have one, of course), then pilot the scanner orb over and around the kelp area where the stalkers hang out. In particular a spot where there's salvage they like to play with.

Sometimes, your scanner room can't actually pick up a particular object until 'you' have travelled within a certain radius of it in a session.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm sure I'll find one tomorrow in due time. I'm super close to the OG kelp field, which is where I've gotten most of my teeth, I can't imagine I picked the area clean 1 and 2 isn't it a renewable resource unlike so many others?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Swim and occasionally drop a grav sphere in the stalker areas.
More teeth that an Alabama landfill.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Carry some scrap fragments over to where the stalkers hang out in the shallow area. They will try to bite it as they collect it and one will eventually drop a tooth.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Alternatively just swim around in the kelp Forest with no space in your inventory and you'll see like 40 of them

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Scanner Room also works great. They're constantly dropping them, they're just hard to see scattered around.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Zesty posted:

I want to try the DeathRun mod but it's not updated for the newest version. It hasn't been updated in two years which doesn't give me hope.

This looks awesome for a 2nd playthrough and I hope it gets updated for the new version. Especially for the "more realistic, but not too much" changes to the mechanics. It always kind of annoyed me how you could just casually pop the hatch and do some EVA in your scuba gear at 1100 meters.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I really enjoyed this game, but I do think my patience with it was really tested by the last couple of areas.

Same here. Loved the game overall, but between the fetch-questing and certain serious bugs that commonly occur in the final area, the late game kind of soured the whole experience. At least the ending was good :unsmith::respek::cthulhu:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I like the casualness of it, especially for attracting a larger audience. Mods can handle the intense stuff for whoever likes.

I'd like. The mod creator has been inactive on NexusMods for 2 years now and didn't respond on Twitter even though he's active there. Don't really want to roll back to the older version to play this. :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah but that’s not the main bigger base filled with bits and bobs. I never figured out how to connect between rooms though so they’re just stacked on top of one another.

It's a bit late to say, but you connect rooms with tubes. And also you'd generally want to build the tubes out from the base and then build out from that, because without a grid system, you're probably never going to have two separate rooms aligned right to connect after the fact.

There's not a lot of tutorializing in the basebuilding aspect so it's easy to just have the wrong idea in your head on how things work.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Luckily you can unbuild everything for 100% of the materials back so you have a lot of room to experiment. I'm sure you know this though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

OgNar posted:

Swim and occasionally drop a grav sphere in the stalker areas.
More teeth that an Alabama landfill.

This did the trick. Sort of regret I never built one, it's kind of cool and would make fishing a hell of a lot easier... I thought it was an expendable item so I didn't want to waste the time with it.

Still, it didn't work as suggested. I activated and caught some stalkers and other things but no teeth. My scanner had one tooth but it was somewhere underground. But apparently doing that seemed to have knocked some teeth out because after collecting the grav trap the scanner picked up two visible teeth.

I've done it. I'm off to work and I'll wrap this up tonight.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a bit late to say, but you connect rooms with tubes. And also you'd generally want to build the tubes out from the base and then build out from that, because without a grid system, you're probably never going to have two separate rooms aligned right to connect after the fact.

There's not a lot of tutorializing in the basebuilding aspect so it's easy to just have the wrong idea in your head on how things work.

Yeah I tried once or twice but couldn't get the tube attach so I just gave up (after 1 minute or so though). I don't mind swimming in and out of rooms inefficient as it is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Eifert Posting posted:

Alternatively just swim around in the kelp Forest with no space in your inventory and you'll see like 40 of them

This is it.

This is the proper way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah I tried once or twice but couldn't get the tube attach so I just gave up (after 1 minute or so though). I don't mind swimming in and out of rooms inefficient as it is.

You probably had something built on the inside near where the tube attaches, it won't let you build if that's the case.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Strangely, i've lost stuff like that.
Cant remember whether it was SN or BZ, but I had built the console inside the moonpool and then attached a tube outside, forgetting where the console was.
Wiped it out without giving me items back.
I had plenty of minerals so tried it again, same result, think it was SN.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Finally finished it! As I said the end kinda dragged and exploring the final area really dampened my previous enthusiasm, but I really did enjoy the game as a whole, it's unique and really encapsulates why I love exploration based games. It's bit obtuse at times unfortunately, but that's ok. I'm sure I didn't explore the game nearly as much as I should've or played with the systems the way I could've, but I still enjoyed the experience at my pace and in my own way.

I'm glad there's a sequel even if it's not as good or whatever. I'm confident I'll enjoy it if I ever get there. I was planning on getting Tunic next, but the last bit of WTF do I need to do in this game makes me want something more straightforward so I'm getting Sifu, and then I'll consider where to go from there. Just glad I can get Below Zero eventually.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

For all its faults I do still like BZ because it is more SN.
I do like to remind that it was finished during the midst of the covid work from home shutdowns and maybe it would have been better if not for that.
But who knows.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
BZ also seemed to have some serious problems in its narrative department, with the previous writer being pushed out in the middle of the project and a new one being brought in. I tend to be kind to the narrative problems in BZ. It's still more SN and most of the new regions are pretty neat. gently caress the kelp caves, though, I kept getting stuck/lost in there.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

One thing that BZ does very well that doesn’t get enough praise is rewarding you for finding random alien tech to scan off the beaten path.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Wasnt the writer booted because they were an antivaxxer or covid denier or something too?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think it was the composer, Simon Chylinski, that got fired for being a racist and turbo-transphobe. The lead writer, Tom Jubert, left to work for a smaller indie studio and is pretty cool and also worked on FTL.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Dyz posted:

Wasnt the writer booted because they were an antivaxxer or covid denier or something too?

He made some posts to that effect on Reddit but I have also heard he just likes to do a little troll, so I dunno.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

General Battuta posted:

He made some posts to that effect on Reddit but I have also heard he just likes to do a little troll, so I dunno.

:nallears:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I dont know this YTer so dont know the accuracy of this, interesting though.

Spoilers abound for those who havent played.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdK-uwNC4yA

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 19, 2023

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

still more SN and most of the new regions are pretty neat. gently caress the kelp caves, though, I kept getting stuck/lost in there.

Yeah most of the new biomes are pretty cool, and little touches to make free diving more viable (albeit tense) was fun. The strike against BZ is that the map *feels* significantly smaller. The actual biomes are cool but the overall feeling of compression makes it feel like an amusement park instead of a world.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Helps to remember it was originally an expansion pack that just got out of hand. They never intended it to be as big as the original.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I just started playing this. Are there any major concepts or pitfalls I should be aware of? The ship I was on just blew up, so I went over to explore it with my radiation suit, but hella crabs kept coming around and kicking my rear end.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
There are a lot of breadcrumbs in the form of glowing bright blue PDAs that are much easier to miss than that description would suggest.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Narzack posted:

I just started playing this. Are there any major concepts or pitfalls I should be aware of? The ship I was on just blew up, so I went over to explore it with my radiation suit, but hella crabs kept coming around and kicking my rear end.

If you get stuck or don't know where to go, go deeper. Or farther.
All the wrecks & stuff on the bottom is randomised, so keep looking for them and have your scanner out because you'll see things to scan from further away like that.
The grav ball is very useful for catching things you havent seen. It picks up minerals, fish, almost everything.

Beyond that, you do you. Have fun

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Narzack posted:

"Don't play on hardcore mode" is a popular refrain due to occasional bugs. But otherwise, don't sweat it as it's impossible to terminally gently caress up, the worst that can happen is a temporary setback.

For personal advice:
-Maybe _don't_ build your first baby-base in the safe shallows next to your pod. Disassemble that fucker and move him a 100m over into something a teensy bit deeper. Makes for a nicer base as you get new rooms.
-Don't read too many spoilers, especially with people trying to metagame the plot. Finding stuff out is the fun part.
-If you're missing a schematic part, they're semi-rng. Keep looking around obvious places and it'll pop up.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Thanks, dudes. I am enjoying, though I've been spooked a few times by the sounds in the deep. Question, how do I disassemble something? I accidentally built an extra O2 tank and it's just taking up space now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Follow the radio, it exists for breadcrumbs.
Explore in those areas.

Narzack posted:

Thanks, dudes. I am enjoying, though I've been spooked a few times by the sounds in the deep. Question, how do I disassemble something? I accidentally built an extra O2 tank and it's just taking up space now.

There isnt an item that takes things apart in the first game.
There is in BZ though.
You can either litter, or save it for taking to a place where you need that extra time/air.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 23, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For carry-able items, until they backport the recycler from BZ, if you build it - it's yours! Keep it lying around as there may be a recipe that uses it, I forget. For structures like bases, everything is 100% deconstructable.

Also, welcome. Subnautica is a great game for discovering things.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

For structures like bases, everything is 100% deconstructable.

Be careful with certain base rooms that have upgrade slots inside them, if you deconstruct without manually unloading the upgrades then the upgrades disappear forever.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Those crabs on the Aurora and elsewhere are fun to grab with the gravity gun and hurl across the ocean.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Is it strange that I see this and go "yee, that's a good mood board item explanation for subnautica"?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
To start my basebuilding, can I move that initial escape pod, or do I just start anew?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Leave the escape pod there as a kind of emergency base, and put your first constructed base in a deeper/wider area a moderate distance from the pod. I like the wide-open grassy area some ways west of the pod.

edit: Constructed bases don't have to have anything to do with the lifepod.

withak fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 24, 2023

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Narzack posted:

I just started playing this. Are there any major concepts or pitfalls I should be aware of? The ship I was on just blew up

The gently caress? You didn’t try to save it?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zesty posted:

The gently caress? You didn’t try to save it?

Narzack should be billed for loss of Alterra property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Sheeeeit, I barely survived that far.