Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Hamsterlady posted:

I don't get why people act like playing Demon's Souls will make the Yhorm fight easier to figure out. I ran in, noticed I was doing no damage and picked up the weapon, said "oh poo poo" and immediately equipped it and did a 2 handed R2 and said "why didn't a beam shoot out why is it still doing no damage" then I thought "maybe the weapon skill is the beam this time" so I tried all sorts of combinations of L2 and R2 and L2 and R1 and still got nothing and had to die and gently caress around at the bonfire for awhile until I figured out that it charges.

Storm Bringer is nothing like it is in Demon's Souls

That's because the weapon in Demon's Souls is Storm Ruler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

turtlecrunch posted:

That's because the weapon in Demon's Souls is Storm Ruler.

Either way, having played Demon's doesn't make this weapon any easier to figure out and I don't get why people act like it does.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
anyone willing and able to help a twink character kill dancer early on pc?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Nameless King can go choke on a dick.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LoG posted:

Nameless King can go choke on a dick.

hardest boss in the game by far

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

but also the coolest in terms of the lore.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Eonwe posted:

Yeah might skip him and go to NG+

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Last King posted:

anyone willing and able to help a twink character kill dancer early on pc?

His name is Sword Master
Enter fight with him
Let him die
Quit out of game before you die
Re-enter game and summon him
Go back into fight
Wait around for 5 minutes with a silver kite shield up

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

LoG posted:

Yeah might skip him and go to NG+

He's not that bad. You can kill the dragon without using a single estus and then if you roll right you'll beat him. He's like an overpowered Gundyr. And he'll be that much harder to beat in NG+. I had to use many more tries on some other bosses.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Groovelord Neato posted:

but also the coolest in terms of the lore.

Yeah that cutscene [spoilor]when you present him with all of his old armour (don't drink the beer is best friend from old times Seig gives you!) and he remembers who he was and comes to help you link the flame was great. [/spoiler]

The sunlight maggot callback was great too. Not this time haha!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Eonwe posted:

The Champ is harder, he just doesn't waste your time with a pointless first phase that has its own health bar.

Though apparently you can parry the Champ's jump attack which makes him trivial.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Has anyone done the math on prisoner's chain to see if it's a health increase or not? Also any math on whether prisoner's chain or ring of favor is better if you're only going to wear one.

Garbage napkin math, it reduces your absorption by 10 so that (typically) means +10% more damage than normal. So you'd need atleast 10% HP to offset it. Assuming this is correct, 20>25 vigor is 764>947, or more than 20% HP. ROF is only 3% more HP. Even taking 10% more damage, Prisoner's Chain would be better. 25>30 is 947>1056, or 109 more HP. Which is only about 11% more HP. After the absorption penalty, that's only an effective gain of 1% HP? So Favor would be better there.

Favor is also +10% stamina and I don't think 5 levels of endurance will ever give you that much no matter how bad your endurance is. On the other hand, 5 points of vitality is pretty much always 5 points of equip burden, and favor only gives 5% more equip burden, so straight vitality is almost always better. Plus more vitality also means more flat defense.

So, if your vigor is around 20, it's probably better to have the chain. After that it's really just how much you value +5 vitality.

edit: I guess you also gotta consider what you're going up against. 5 vitality is about 7.5 physical defense, which might very well offset the reduced absorption for something fast with really low damage. Won't help all that much for magic attacks though or anything even halfway decent.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 23, 2016

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

UP AND ADAM posted:

He's not that bad. You can kill the dragon without using a single estus and then if you roll right you'll beat him. He's like an overpowered Gundyr. And he'll be that much harder to beat in NG+. I had to use many more tries on some other bosses.

He's a garbage boss for garbage people

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Stargate posted:

Asked earlier but got no response so I'll try again.

I'm not getting a prompt to put the twin princes ashes on the middle throne in firelink shrine. Is that a problem or do I need to do something else with them? I've filled all the other thrones with no issues.

Getting the prompt is a little weird. You don't stand in front of the throne itself, but rather in front of the pedestal it's seated on.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Internet Kraken posted:

The Champ is harder, he just doesn't waste your time with a pointless first phase that has its own health bar.

Though apparently you can parry the Champ's jump attack which makes him trivial.

I thought Champion Gundyr was a chump, Nameless King easily exceeds the number of attempts I've put in to the rest of the bosses combined. I hate having to repeat the stupid first phase over and over, it's really killing my enthusiasm to keep doing the fight.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

UP AND ADAM posted:

just because a boss took you fewer tries doesn't make him less hard as a design. pontiff took me way more tries than champion and nameless combined but i can see how those two bosses are actually harder.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Orphan of Kos is harder

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

well yes he's the hardest boss they've done.

Wagrid posted:

Honestly, I think Artorias still holds that title.

manus the furtive pygmy is generally considered the hardest in ds1.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
Honestly, I think Artorias still holds that title. Easily the one that took me the longest to beat the first time.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I beat Orphan of Kos on my first try with little trouble and I feel like I completely lucked out because everyone I've talked to say he's the hardest boss in the game and I'm afraid to try fighting him again because I won't get lucky a second time and I won't be able to feel smugly superior to everyone else anymore.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Wow, sunlight spear is pretty underwhelming huh? :geno:

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

well yes he's the hardest boss they've done.

manus the furtive pygmy is generally considered the hardest in ds1.

Kalameet, O&S and Artorias were all harder than Manus by a pretty comfortable margin for me.

The trick is he's totally incapable of breaking through a high stability shield.

Hamsterlady posted:

I beat Orphan of Kos on my first try with little trouble and I feel like I completely lucked out because everyone I've talked to say he's the hardest boss in the game and I'm afraid to try fighting him again because I won't get lucky a second time and I won't be able to feel smugly superior to everyone else anymore.

I actually found Lady Maria harder (and a more fun fight). Orphan of Kos is super hard though. Having to do that DLC NG+ was a huge bummer.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 23, 2016

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Hamsterlady posted:

Either way, having played Demon's doesn't make this weapon any easier to figure out and I don't get why people act like it does.

You just told a story about figuring it out nearly immediately, after dying only once. It is your tale that implies it's easy to figure out, more so than any other post here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Laurence the First Vicar took me three straight days to beat and my victory over him was not the least bit graceful, I think I landed my final hit just as he was gearing up to one-shot me again. No other boss I've fought in Souls even comes close.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I don't feel like playing DS3 with a high armour tower shield dude because poise is useless in 3 so you can't just do the second playthrough "walk at every enemy and never die" thing, rip poise u were lordran's rose

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

is it just me or are invasions spots just loving terrible in this game. it always puts me at the one furthest from where the host actually is so i have to spend 20 minutes hunting their stupid asses down before they get to the boss or right in between a gank sandwich of people waiting for me to enter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wagrid posted:

Kalameet, O&S and Artorias were all harder than Manus by a pretty comfortable margin for me.

The trick is he's totally incapable of breaking through a high stability shield.

the problem is the "for me" thing. pre-dlc bloodborne daughter of the cosmos tends to be the hardest boss for people - i beat her in 3-4 tries and the only boss that took me more tries than that was logarius who took me probably 20.

manus wasn't the boss i had the most difficulty with but you can see it's the boss most people have the most difficulty with and just look at the fight and see why that is.

and you can't judge difficulty if you use shields.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Laurence the First Vicar took me three straight days to beat and my victory over him was not the least bit graceful, I think I landed my final hit just as he was gearing up to one-shot me again. No other boss I've fought in Souls even comes close.

People really talked up Laurence but then I didn't have nearly as much trouble with him as with the other bosses in that DLC (other than Living Failures). All the bosses in that DLC are definitely super hard though (except the Living Failures).

Groovelord Neato posted:

the problem is the "for me" thing. pre-dlc bloodborne daughter of the cosmos tends to be the hardest boss for people - i beat her in 3-4 tries and the only boss that took me more tries than that was logarius who took me probably 20.

manus wasn't the boss i had the most difficulty with but you can see it's the boss most people have the most difficulty with and just look at the fight and see why that is.

and you can't judge difficulty if you use shields.

Talking about how the majority of people's experiences count then saying using a shield invaldiates any judgements on difficulty is pretty ridiculous. How do you think the majority of people play these games?

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 23, 2016

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Cobalt60 posted:

You just told a story about figuring it out nearly immediately, after dying only once. It is your tale that implies it's easy to figure out, more so than any other post here.

What's that have to do with Demon's Souls though? If I hadn't played Demon's I would have figured it out at the same rate, because "I do piddly damage and there's a weapon in this arena" makes it pretty clear that you need to hit him with that weapon in some way.

ShadowMar posted:

is it just me or are invasions spots just loving terrible in this game. it always puts me at the one furthest from where the host actually is so i have to spend 20 minutes hunting their stupid asses down before they get to the boss or right in between a gank sandwich of people waiting for me to enter.

Also it sometimes spawns you in spots with a stationary enemy standing in a narrow doorway so you have to squeeze past them and it's kind of annoying (specifically I'm thinking about an invasion spot in Irithyll Dungeon where it shoves you in a cell with a hollow standing in the door)

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 23, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

TGLT posted:

Garbage napkin math, it reduces your absorption by 10 so that (typically) means +10% more damage than normal. So you'd need atleast 10% HP to offset it. Assuming this is correct, 20>25 vigor is 764>947, or more than 20% HP. ROF is only 3% more HP. Even taking 10% more damage, Prisoner's Chain would be better. 25>30 is 947>1056, or 109 more HP. Which is only about 11% more HP. After the absorption penalty, that's only an effective gain of 1% HP? So Favor would be better there.

Favor is also +10% stamina and I don't think 5 levels of endurance will ever give you that much no matter how bad your endurance is. On the other hand, 5 points of vitality is pretty much always 5 points of equip burden, and favor only gives 5% more equip burden, so straight vitality is almost always better. Plus more vitality also means more flat defense.

So, if your vigor is around 20, it's probably better to have the chain. After that it's really just how much you value +5 vitality.

edit: I guess you also gotta consider what you're going up against. 5 vitality is about 7.5 physical defense, which might very well offset the reduced absorption for something fast with really low damage. Won't help all that much for magic attacks though or anything even halfway decent.

This helps alot, thanks!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wagrid posted:

People really talked up Laurence but then I didn't have nearly as much trouble with him as with the other bosses in that DLC (other than Living Failures). All the bosses in that DLC are definitely super hard though (except the Living Failures).

He's really, really unkind to DEX builds. I've seen STR players with the Whirligig Saw sleepwalk through him, but me and my Rakuyo didn't fare so well.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fister Roboto posted:

I believe the implication is that they're Irithyll outriders transforming into beasts, like Vordt.

They strike me as a heck of a lot like Rosaria's reborn worms, which doesn't necessarily contradict your theory.

The Pontiff's been committing science with every other goddamn thing he could find, why not Aldrich's personal side project?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hamsterlady posted:

What's that have to do with Demon's Souls though? If I hadn't played Demon's I would have figured it out at the same rate, because "I do piddly damage and there's a weapon in this arena" makes it pretty clear that you need to hit him with that weapon in some way.

some guy (not here) somehow didn't grasp that it was a gimmick fight even with doing like 20 damage per hit and actually killed him with a normal weapon.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I used the holy blade and every boss died like a little baby except Kos who was way too loving fast for that.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Groovelord Neato posted:

some guy (not here) somehow didn't grasp that it was a gimmick fight even with doing like 20 damage per hit and actually killed him with a normal weapon.

I like to imagine that same person slowly ticked down the Wyvern's HP and spent an hour smacking the Rotted Greatwood in random spots before deciding the fight was bugged because the boss was invincible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just spent a couple of hours grinding out the Watchdog covenant - my "completionist" character is SL34 at the moment - and I'm feeling quite smug as I got all 30 kills consecutively. I owe my unbroken kill streak to having 1000 HP - most people didn't seem to know what the gently caress. :v:

Watchdogs could really benefit from getting multiple items if they kill phantoms though, like mound makers, because jesus christ. I think I killed three times as many ghosts as I did actual players; although this did lead to the absurdly satisfying situation where I ganked one guy and his two bodyguards in the same combo!

Now I just have the Aldrich faithful to grind to 30. And the Blue Sentinels. And the Mound Makers. And the Sunbros.

...why do you hide so many rings and spells behind covenants, FROM. :negative:

But no matter. This game has its hooks in. I've not played any other game since I really got into this, so that bodes well.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

man gently caress parrying online in this game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

now that from put a mongolian death worm in a game we need one of these games with all modern folklore and monsters. need to fight slender man after hacking through a level of jersey devils and nessies.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eonwe posted:

He's a ball buster and that's what's fun

If you summon a dude dressed as Solaire, complete with weapon and shield, say hello! I'm sunbroing the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

poptart_fairy posted:

Now I just have the Aldrich faithful to grind to 30. And the Blue Sentinels. And the Mound Makers. And the Sunbros.

...why do you hide so many rings and spells behind covenants, FROM. :negative:

If you just want achievement items, you only need 10 for Aldrich Faithful. The reward for 30 is a catalyst.