Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Loot a lot of dwarvern ruins for stuff to melt into ingots. Turn iron into gold to make jewelry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Halted Stream Camp is an iron mine/mammoth poaching camp that has a tome for the Transmute Mineral Ore spell at the end, which allows you to change iron to silver, and silver to gold. Learn that spell, turn all your iron into gold, and make all your gold into necklaces and rings, especially jeweled rings with the gems you dig up. The higher the base price of the item the more exp it produces for Alchemy/Smithing/Enchanting when you make it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Probably the most strictly time effective way to grind Smithing is still to just type player.advskill smithing 100000 into the console pile up iron ingots and grind out nails.

The jewelry method has the beneficial side effect of making lots of money but overall is probably slower since you have to take extra time to acquire the materials, and money is trivially easy to pile up via alchemy (blue butterfly wing + blue mountain flower and salt pile + deathbell are valuable potions created from ingredients that are everywhere)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Jewelry is good but midgame and better I make Dwarven Bows. More expensive than most jewelry, doesn't require any rare materials, and dwarven ruins just shower you in ingots/items you can smelt into ingots.

Of course, make sure you have done the hidden knowledge quest to have the smithing exp bonus, and do all your grinding while rested for another.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Why nails instead of iron daggers?

Also to the OP, I humbly suggest you don't powerlevel smithing and instead pace yourself. IMO it takes a bit of the fun out of it if you can craft high level gear too early and the craft -> wait for merchants to restock -> craft loop is boring. What I personally do is craft with looted ingots and if I'm in a town between dungeons I only buy up the ingot supply once in a while. Just a suggestion ofc, do whatever's fun for you.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'd like to point out that all the way back in 2012 Bethesda changed smithing XP to now be determined by the value of the item you're producing. That's why people are bringing up transmutation of ore, not because of the money, but because it's quicker. Grinding iron daggers has been an outdated strategy for over a decade.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The jewelry method has the beneficial side effect of making lots of money but overall is probably slower since you have to take extra time to acquire the materials

The only material you need for the jewelry method is iron ore.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 7, 2024

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
As you are a decent level you should have a fair number of good gems, so go hit up Karthwasten and Kolskeggr Mine (highly recommend using the instant mining mod so you don't want to eat your own arms), crafting a bunch of jewelry from there should give you a bunch of levels. There's also the mine in the eastern mountains near an orc stronghold (Gloombound Mine I think?) for ebony ore.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'd like to point out that all the way back in 2012 Bethesda changed smithing XP to now be determined by the value of the item you're producing. That's why people are bringing up transmutation of ore, not because of the money, but because it's quicker. Grinding iron daggers has been an outdated strategy for over a decade.

The only material you need for the jewelry method is iron ore.

Still takes a fair bit of time to transmute it piece by piece into gold ore though.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Still takes a fair bit of time to transmute it piece by piece into gold ore though.

There's a mod for that. It also changes the transmutation order to iron first, silver second so you can actually get lots of silver instead of the vanilla behavior of ignoring iron until there's no more silver left.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16549

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean, sure, but at some point along the road of "I want to jack up my Smithing skill but I don't wanna do it the way the game design allows me to because it would just take too long" it gets to where you might as well just use the console.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Level up mysticism by turning iron ore into gold ore

Level up smithing turning it all into jewelry

Level enchanting by enchanting them all

Level speechcraft selling it

Get obliterated by a bandit because you gained 20 levels and have no combat skills

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well if you don't actually use your cranked up smithing and enchanting skills on your own equipment, yeah.

The mysticism alteration leveling can mess you up, since alternation is useless in combat.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well if you don't actually use your cranked up smithing and enchanting skills on your own equipment, yeah.

The mysticism alteration leveling can mess you up, since alternation is useless in combat.

That’s where the Simonrim Mysticism magic overhaul really shines. Combined with Adamant it, makes Alteration really good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

VostokProgram posted:

Why nails instead of iron daggers?

Also to the OP, I humbly suggest you don't powerlevel smithing and instead pace yourself. IMO it takes a bit of the fun out of it if you can craft high level gear too early and the craft -> wait for merchants to restock -> craft loop is boring. What I personally do is craft with looted ingots and if I'm in a town between dungeons I only buy up the ingot supply once in a while. Just a suggestion ofc, do whatever's fun for you.

I've done all the main quests for the base game, Dawnguard and Dragonborn, and I did all the guild quests on different characters, so all I have left is side-quests, unless I try modding in new quests (which I might be able to do with some mods, but probably not others). I think I have Undeath installed, but I have to double-check, because I don't know if it activated for me or not.

What are the go-to quest mods nowadays? I considered Beyond Skryrim: Bruma at one point, but I think I was too far into the modlist to go back and try and patch everything to be compatible with it.

There were a couple others I heard about like Rigmor, Vigilant, and Glenmoril.

theshim posted:

As you are a decent level you should have a fair number of good gems, so go hit up Karthwasten and Kolskeggr Mine (highly recommend using the instant mining mod so you don't want to eat your own arms), crafting a bunch of jewelry from there should give you a bunch of levels. There's also the mine in the eastern mountains near an orc stronghold (Gloombound Mine I think?) for ebony ore.

Didn't know there was an instant mining mod. Have to grab that.

-

Someone mentioned the Nolvus Ascension modlist, and looking up a video of that, I found a trailer for an upcoming modlist called Skyrim Ultima (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwogDlp_V4g)

Also saw a trailer for a sequel to Legacy of the Dragonborn called Odyssey of the Dragonborn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OKMEdugYDA)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 8, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Also saw a trailer for a sequel to Legacy of the Dragonborn called Odyssey of the Dragonborn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OKMEdugYDA)

I think that's been in development for ages.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I need to dedicate less room to Skyrim I have about 2TB taken up by Skyrim installs and downloads. I'll probably try Ultima when it comes out though it does look nice.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have about 1000 hours in Skyrim and I’ve just realized that in about 985 of those I have done the same thing, because I kind of treat Skyrim as a sandbox:

1) alternate start mod-camping in woods. Create the character I want, who is nearly always based directly on a character from other media, or inspired by that, or a character archetype.

It always springs fully-formed into the world of Skyrim, thanks to console commands for abilities and gear. Select start option—Camping in Woods

2) run down the trail and tap the appropriate stone

3) clear out embershard mine, for more fun, do it in reverse (go in the exit)

4) meet and greet in Riverwood, bully the elf man into giving me archery levels, then go meet the reprobate shopkeeper and get the golden claw quest

5) clear out bleak falls barrow, but leave the dragonstone in the chest there, so the main plotline never starts. Dragons swooping down all the time I’m romping through Skyrim gets ANNOYING!

6) explore dungeons, accumulate wealth, kill a lot of people and maybe do companions or thief/assassin plotlines

7) start a new character, goto 1)

I feel like I have missed so much. I have never even completed the main plotline, in 1000 hours.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Sounds like fun to me, but maybe just, take the dragonstone next time? You could even grab a mod that lets you turn dragon encounters down or off.

Which is a really excellent segue into the fact that I'm missing a mod that does so myself and could really use it right now. I've had a dragon spawn in Solitude and had to deal with two at once over one of the little mining hamlets. Gimme a week between them at least, game, please

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Skyrim Unbound Reborn is an alternate start mod that handles basically everything you could want out of an alternate start mod. You can set your starting gear and money, choose to delay or even turn off dragon spawns, even pick whether your character is a Dragonborn or not (i.e. whether the main quest ever starts). I use it instead of Live Another Life, which itself is another bonus - this mod doesn't have any of Arthmoor's stink on it.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14936

Nexus is hitting 10 billion downloads lifetime across all games today. Just shy of 6 billion of them are Skyrim.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Commander Keene posted:

Skyrim Unbound Reborn is an alternate start mod that handles basically everything you could want out of an alternate start mod. You can set your starting gear and money, choose to delay or even turn off dragon spawns, even pick whether your character is a Dragonborn or not (i.e. whether the main quest ever starts). I use it instead of Live Another Life, which itself is another bonus - this mod doesn't have any of Arthmoor's stink on it.

i told a lie because i didnt realize that Timing is Everything would include the thing i want, but on the final 'other quests' tab of the mcm. :downs:

Thanks though! I might give this a look next time 'round

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Also if you want something structured a bit more like Live Another Life but without any of that good good Arthmoor stuff, I've found Alternate Perspective to be reasonably good and well-supported.

There's also Realm of Lorkhan but I've never tried that one.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I'm thinking about making a scale model of Falkreath - does anyone know if there's a way to view the "model" of the town without loading into the game?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You could through the creation kit, but that's jank as gently caress.

Honestly best way would probably be in game, with some console commands to turn off ai processing and time, as well as free cam.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Welp, game now locks up completely when attempting to load a save, guess that's as good a sign as any that this modpack has run its course.

That was some wild poo poo. I was using Path of the Dovahkiin from Wabbajack (which turned out to be a good random pick because it didn't require any of the AE content which I don't own, looks like the modpack was a couple years old). Some highlights of the experience:

- every single enemy spawn is now three to five enemies, I went into embershard mine and was immediately dogpiled and murdered by like twenty bandits
- uses gold as exp which is its own whole weird-rear end leveling system
- magic items are everywhere and can have tiers (magic, rare, epic, legendary) with higher tiers having more enchantments on each item
- this means that the twenty bandits in the mine were all packing at least 1-3 magical items each
- whatever this combat "overhaul" is, stagger and knockdown are absolutely through the goddamn roof, a random bandit archer was straight up knocking me down with every other shot
- it uses an unholy chimera fusion of like four different perk overhauls so every perk tree has like 30 nodes on it

Debating if I want to look at other modpacks or just do my own thing this time like I was originally going to. The nice thing about Wabbajack is that it does all the compatibility patching and bashing for you, more than anything else, but every modpack just has to have a whole bunch of stuff that I just don't care for at best, especially the combat "overhauls" that just make actually fighting anything a punishing chore.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You could through the creation kit, but that's jank as gently caress.

Honestly best way would probably be in game, with some console commands to turn off ai processing and time, as well as free cam.

Yep, that seems to be the way to do it. I'll load up a new setup and get a bunch of screenshots this weekend.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You can coc right from the title menu with loading a proper save game

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Sweet! Thanks very much for that!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah gently caress all that, whats the fastest alternate start mod? I need it to test mods quickly.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
If coc riverwood/whiterunorigin from the main menu won't do it, Live Another Life is your best option to my knowledge. Default appearance, talk to the statue, run to the bed

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Realm of Lorkhan, you click new game, it immediately opens up with the character creator and you can run to several different shards that will teleport you to different places in Skyrim

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They're all pretty fast, tbh. Unbound, you can just ignore all the menu options and start a random game. Alternate Perspective has a similar start to Live Another Life.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
I stand corrected, then :v:

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 11, 2024

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Optional Quick Start just starts you in character creation at the end of the Helgen tunnel if you choose to skip the intro.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can even save presets with Skyrim Unbound, so if you want to for example start in the same location each time you only have to do the setup once.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
The actual fastest one is the one that isn't working, because you hear the drat cart and immediately exit the game to fix it

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Dimes quick start does character select, asks imperial or stormcloak, and drops you at the end of helgen dungeon with the appropriate NPC. Good if you want a vanilla start without the intro

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I have a dumb question: what are the odds that Skyrim would ever get something along the lines of OpenMW or Daggerfall Unity?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Not 0 but probably not much higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If it does I wouldn't expect it for like another at least decade or so.