Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

zaurg posted:

Good good fall right in line with the BFC groupthink

The piss fuels me

zarg fyi i quit playing dfs and i'm significantly happier

perhaps you should sell your stupid coins

see y'all in 6 if this is self-posting but can a reply to zuagr ever truly be off topic in the BWM thread??? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Spokes posted:

see y'all in 6 if this is self-posting but can a reply to zuagr ever truly be off topic in the BWM thread??? :smug:
the answer to your question may surprise you (the answer is no)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Narcissists will view any form of attention as positive reinforcement

Acknowledging his existence is just sifting the pizza right out of his kid's blood

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Spokes posted:

:wellpiss:

:zaurg: is never OT in this thread, so I can't see how telling him to sell his shitcoins is self posting, even if you add in an example. Now if you were bragging about your GWM at the same time, that's more questionable.

quote:

Silver as an investment?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8eb7jr/silver_as_an_investment/

A friend of mine is adamant that silver will absolutely skyrocket in price and soon. He is saying it'll be worth 10x what it is today by the end of the year pretty much.

I don't know enough about investing or silver pricing to know if he is right or not, but my gut says no? Does anyone here know anything about this?

We're in Australia, if it makes any difference at all.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

:wellpiss:

:zaurg: is never OT in this thread, so I can't see how telling him to sell his shitcoins is self posting, even if you add in an example. Now if you were bragging about your GWM at the same time, that's more questionable.
I was strongly considering posting this story but the OP seemed pretty amenable to the idea that their friend was full of poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

Silver as an investment?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfi..._an_investment/

A friend of mine is adamant that silver will absolutely skyrocket in price and soon. He is saying it'll be worth 10x what it is today by the end of the year pretty much.

I don't know enough about investing or silver pricing to know if he is right or not, but my gut says no? Does anyone here know anything about this?

We're in Australia, if it makes any difference at all.

Lol, top comment is gold:

quote:

Unless there's some huge vampire outbreak, I can't see silver going up 10x in 12 months.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

Werewolf attack could do it too, if I remember correctly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Bad with money :

Customer comes in wanting to add a line to her phone plan. After digging, it turns out Customer’s husband (also there) had an iPhone 8+ with insurance, and lost it. They didn’t have the money for the $199 deductible, so they wanted to add a line.

Now, I get paid to add service, but I told them “let’s make sure we are on the same page.”

Option 1:
$199, overnight replacement iPhone 8+

Option 2
Add a line for $45, iPhone 8+ is $33 a month, they had an older phone so they could get payments down to $25, so $600 for the phone over two years. Pay $75 today in sales tax, and $30 act fee next month.

Customer told me her plan was to put the add a line on suspension for the two years so it is only $10 a month (this is correct, although you have to call in every 3 months to re suspend).

She said they were going to do option 2, but husband was coming back later because their credit card was scheduled to turn back on later today (for the $75).

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Tag yourself, I'm the old phone that was kept around in a drawer to be used as a trade-in chip to get a slightly better deal on a new iPhone 8 if the original gets lost rather than just being used as a backup phone

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

No, pretty sure it's still just silver. :downsrim:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
My old boss, who works in IT, regularly rolls negative equity of his iphone every year into a new one. I wonder what the monthly payments just for the device are at this point. He's pretty BWM. Him and his wife of 10 years or so have never sat down and talk finances. They have no idea what each others liabilities are. He doesn't even know what the mortgage payments are (house in her name).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dustoph posted:

My old boss, who works in IT, regularly rolls negative equity of his iphone every year into a new one. I wonder what the monthly payments just for the device are at this point. He's pretty BWM. Him and his wife of 10 years or so have never sat down and talk finances. They have no idea what each others liabilities are. He doesn't even know what the mortgage payments are (house in her name).

This is actually the perfect innocent spouse defense for IRS penalties.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

This is actually the perfect innocent spouse defense for IRS penalties.

They can’t convict a husband and wife for the same crime.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

SiGmA_X posted:

Silver stuff

I love amassing as many precious metals as I can, but it pays to be realistic about what you're getting. There was a lot of Silver > Bitcoin converts and it honestly shows. Bagholding is a universal thing it seems.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Duckman2008 posted:

They can’t convict a husband and wife for the same crime. 😉

Yeah, I don't think that is true, Duck.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

In Canada you can't compel one spouse to testify against the other. But that's compel, they might want to. And there are exceptions for domestic violence cases.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I bring you a gift from the r/relationships thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7w9v74/tax_advice_for_my_sister_please/ posted:

My little sister worked at a small restaurant in a very small town. They paid her under the table, and refused to take any taxes out of her checks.

Today, they called her up and presented her with this:

I've blurred her name and the name of the business. What are her options at this point? Thank you.

Edit: The plan is to file and pay what's owed. I'm wondering more about getting her proper paperwork and inquiring if the business has done anything illegal. It just seems fishy to me, so I figured I would ask. I don't know the law anywhere good enough to assume anything. Any advice would be appreciated, and I will answer any questions anyone has.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 24, 2018

Jan 11, 2004
You can still file with an incomplete, altered, or handwritten W2 or 1099. Almost certainly if we're talking about a restaurant employee, handing them a 1099 is not going to fly when they should have been employed on a W2 basis. It's not clear what they did in this case to result in a 1099 and a W2, possibly converted classification part way through the year or something. Clearly this is not what you would call a professional operation.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You can still file with an incomplete, altered, or handwritten W2 or 1099. Almost certainly if we're talking about a restaurant employee, handing them a 1099 is not going to fly when they should have been employed on a W2 basis. It's not clear what they did in this case to result in a 1099 and a W2, possibly converted classification part way through the year or something. Clearly this is not what you would call a professional operation.

The reason for the 1099 is called employment fraud to avoid paying their share of FICA.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
There should be a lawyer zooming toward them with an erection acting like a dowsing rod. Dude's not even walking, just getting pulled along by the glans for this slam dunk of a case.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I thought the entire point of paying someone under the table was to avoid having any tax documentation at all. Why did they bother with that stupid handwritten thing?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Inept posted:

I thought the entire point of paying someone under the table was to avoid having any tax documentation at all. Why did they bother with that stupid handwritten thing?
Someone told them one weird trick to have their cake and eat it too.

Employees hate them!!!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Proposition Castle posted:

There should be a lawyer zooming toward them with an erection acting like a dowsing rod. Dude's not even walking, just getting pulled along by the glans for this slam dunk of a case.

Lol if you think that type of operation is going to have the money it willingness to pay a judgement.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s a restaurant, they’ve got expensive poo poo that could possibly be seized and liquidated in lieu of money depending on OK law. That threat alone could be enough for them to take out some loans that eventually destroy their operation.

E: not a lawyer.

Jan 11, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The reason for the 1099 is called employment fraud to avoid paying their share of FICA.

Oh yes I'm well aware of the reasons why employees are misclassified, just not clear to me why they would change their mind at some point or decide that some income is 1099 and some income is W2. It's possible that they figured out when they did their taxes that unless they issued 1099s to employees they had been paying in cash or something that they were going to have to pay taxes on that money as though it was profit to the business.

Jan 11, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It’s a restaurant, they’ve got expensive poo poo that could possibly be seized and liquidated in lieu of money depending on OK law. That threat alone could be enough for them to take out some loans that eventually destroy their operation.

If the federal government decided to really fry these fish worse than a mail audit or reclassification and related penalties I would be really surprised. You got to realize there are literally millions of little lovely businesses in the country and surveys say that surprisingly large fractions of them are knowingly breaking some tax law or another and the IRS has a truly impossible task in enforcing tax laws everywhere at all times. If I was just guessing, the Oklahoma counterpart to the IRS is probably choked even worse for money and resources.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Probably they didn’t want to withhold the taxes partway through.

It might seem harsh for me to want them to have to take loans that would destroy the business, but they are committing wage theft. If they can’t make that right, they should go out of business. Not for legal reasons, because screw you if you are loving over your laborers who are barely making a living wage (if they are at all).

I wasn’t saying IRS, I meant a private lawsuit.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

they were going to have to pay taxes on that money as though it was profit to the business.

Yeah they must be really dumb or extra greedy because restaurants that pay under the table will also not report some of their cash income to balance it out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not a (failed) restaurant owner either. Used kitchen equipment is worth jack poo poo when it's being sold back, and magically become worth 3/4 of what new equipment costs once it's been cleaned and serviced by the restaurant supply shop. This is their bread and butter because so many restaurants fail. And fail so quickly.

If I was just guessing, the Oklahoma counterpart to the IRS is probably choked even worse for money and resources.

I don't know about Oklahoma, but I know acquaintances in both PA and NC that got into business issues with under-withholding/not withholding. The state came pounding their doors down long before the feds did, and in one case the feds never did.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Proposition Castle posted:

Luv 2 prosecute wage theft.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814718&perpage=40&pagenumber=69#post483464315

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zaurgbot posted:

I can be all the botmaster paying off the crypto and she doesn't seem like the loans are going to make a gently caress, like the spending a few months ago (December, IRA, a big someone with my bank account). We can take the past strategy and put the price of them or whatever at about 2 months of what I said that would've made probably. I put a child divorce account that is going to add more for the course.

I don't have to get it to get the home shitcoins and the loans (which is a lot of savings and make them all of them with the budget) or and pay off the beater and not make more than my crypto, maybe her car because it was the wife was all the student loans. Spend anyway. That said, she still has a lot of interest but you spend under mortgage and they put it on the student loans.

I could keep refreshing this thing all week. Just make a few minor grammatical fixes and it generates perfect posts.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

If :zaurg: posts in here again about anything does that count as self-posting?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

axeil posted:

If :zaurg: posts in here again about anything does that count as self-posting?

I don’t understand how his posts in here so far haven’t been considered self posting. They are all about himself.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Guys, narcissists view ANY form of attention as positive reinforcement. Even yelling at the dude to Sell Yore Shipcoims is registering in his brain as "do more of the bad thing to get more internet lulz"

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Sounds like everyone wins.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

except the kids

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There is an interview panel today. One of the panel members is some lady that I don't know from the department that is hiring.

She is singing the praises of Rent-a-Center and apparently has a Rent-To-Own House.

I didn't even know that this existed until today.

These are all of the positive things she likes about her Rent-To-Own house.

- She only had to put down 7% instead of 20%.
- She pays extra in rent, but she gets it all back when she buys the house.
- No debt or mortgage because she has terrible credit.
- She can decide not to buy it later if she doesn't want to.
- No property taxes.
- She never has any spare money, which makes this great because she doesn't have to pay for repairs.
- She can't afford the house on her current income or credit, but Rent-To-Own is great because she can make sure that nobody else buys it before she can get her life and finances in order.
- She isn't worried about not having her finances in order right now, because she has a side business selling homemade soap bars and candles that she thinks is really going to take off and in several years when she has a chance to buy the house, she can use her soap money.
- Her soap/candle business is going to be even more profitable because she doesn't have to pay our city income/wage tax or federal taxes on her soap sales because she only accepts cash.

She is also repping Rent-a-Center for TVs and computers hard because they "become obsolete in two years, so you just exchange it for a newer one later" and that "you know exactly how much you are paying each month instead of having to blow it all at once."

I was cringing because she was talking about how great it is having monthly payments for everything because she knows exactly what she has to pay each month and "they do all the budgeting for you." We're on a break now, but we have a second round of interviews in the afternoon.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I can't be having an erection this firm at work. How dare you, Leon.