Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Levitate posted:

https://x.com/NHL/status/1791291192677728332

"Have a souvenir to commemorate me single handedly eliminating your team"

(but really Kreider is a cool dude)

e: more friday beefcake

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1791469472005427704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:swoon:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91wzC6HfPdg
code:
Ranger danger, approaching from the rear, never trust a girl in a Richter jersey

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just realized that the Oilers lost for the first time this postseason when giving up 3 or fewer goals, so much for that metric. I guess it’s 2 or fewer now lol

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, it only one of them exemplifies the leadership of Mark Messier.

"Guys you're still trying to replace Messier. I told you we can't do it...and we can't do it. Now what we might be able to do is recreate him. Recreate him in the aggregate. Messier's key qualities were: clutch play, throwing elbows, baldness, clutch play, and being closeted. Here's what we're going to do:"

Clutch play:

Throwing elbows:

Baldness:

Being closeted:

"That doesn't look right, Mika has a wife/kid and Chris is in a relationship"

"You gotta read Twitter, follow the clues"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
lmao

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Messier was in the closet? I knew about the coke fiend rumors but not that one.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I am generally on board with "lol Messier" but calling hockey players closeted at part of the lol is not really chill given how actively toxic hockey and the NHL in particular are when it relates to LGBTQ stuff

Like, let's poo poo on him for being garbage instead!

Greatest leader in NHL history apparently: Mark Messier, Captain of the Vancouver Canucks

<Messier in background putting on the number of a dead guy while waving>

T.C. fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 17, 2024

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DildenAnders posted:

Rumors? Messier in the 80s/90s had to be some sort of cocaine golem

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Must have been a helluva fart

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

T.C. posted:

I am generally on board with "lol Messier" but calling hockey players closeted at part of the lol is not really chill given how actively toxic hockey and the NHL in particular are when it relates to LGBTQ stuff
Have there been any players from his era that have come out? I gotta think that lovely hockey culture would weed out anybody long before they hit the NHL.

Edit: I just realized calling a gay dude a 'weed' was a poor choice of words.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I have nothing to back it up but vaguely remember rumors Messier swung both ways. Maybe I'm making that up though

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

https://x.com/tomfitzjesus/status/1791284617170882684?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

jfc it’s perfect :laffo:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the Oilers are better defensively than they were under Woodcroft, but they still do a crazy amount of puck watching in the defensive zone. I can't figure out what McDavid and Hyman are even thinking they are accomplishing on that game winner.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

T.C. posted:

Like, let's poo poo on him for being garbage instead!

Greatest leader in NHL history apparently: Mark Messier, Captain of the Vancouver Canucks

<Messier in background putting on the number of a dead guy while waving>

my post wasn't intended as "lol Messier" or "lol gays" at all. he is one of my two all-time favorite players. the Kreider/Zibanejad thing is a reference to a long-running LGBTQ Rangers Twitter thing between Kreider/Mika. the Messier thing is a reference to:

DildenAnders posted:

ya there were always bizarre rumors. most of it was normal (like for the time) stuff from opposing fans, e.g. Crosby being gay by Philly fans. the absolute strangest one was Canucks fans starting a rumor that he assaulted Bure at a party and that's why Bure wanted to leave for Florida. insane poo poo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
If we're doing hot hockey goss, Lyle Odelein is involved in a lawsuit with his siblings over the sizeable family farm.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

"Guys you're still trying to replace Messier. I told you we can't do it...and we can't do it. Now what we might be able to do is recreate him. Recreate him in the aggregate. Messier's key qualities were: clutch play, throwing elbows, baldness, clutch play, and being closeted. Here's what we're going to do:"

Clutch play:

Throwing elbows:

Baldness:

Being closeted:

"That doesn't look right, Mika has a wife/kid and Chris is in a relationship"

"You gotta read Twitter, follow the clues"

:hmmyes:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
welcome, Florida

gently caress you, Florida

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Simplex posted:

I think the Oilers are better defensively than they were under Woodcroft, but they still do a crazy amount of puck watching in the defensive zone. I can't figure out what McDavid and Hyman are even thinking they are accomplishing on that game winner.

These are definitely not the same Edmonton Oilers they've been for years no sir.

Darnell Nurse is so, so bad in his own end. Never does anything with conviction. Positioning is practically random. Vacillates between being a pure bystander sloooowly drifting backward into his own goalie, and rushing out after the puck and usually arriving a half-stride too late. You can't fault his effort level, he blocks shots and fights for pucks and takes the body and all that. He has some puck skills that are handy on the breakout. But he has really bad defensive instincts, and he knows it which only makes everything worse.

As always none of that is to say he's a Bad Player, he's not JMFJ by any stretch. He's a playable 2D with a strong enough partner. But that contract is such a boat anchor and probably more than any one other thing the reason why McDavid will never win a Cup in Edmonton. You probably can't get away with paying a real contender's fourth-best defenseman $9M a year until the heat death of the universe and expect to seriously compete for Cups.

e: Nurse for Marner, who says no??? (Besides Marner)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 18, 2024

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I hope Trouba runs the gently caress out of tkachuk

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Levitate posted:

I hope Trouba runs the gently caress out of tkachuk

They both die simultaneously when they elbow each other in the head game 1

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They should slam into each other so fast they both atomize into theoretical particles

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's not really been that much drama in these playoffs, and when the dust settles it looks like it's going to be the four best teams (or at least, the four division winners) as the four conference finalists. When's the last time that happened?

Between that and the tragic lack of overtime marathons, to be honest these have been maybe the least exciting playoffs of my lifetime. These conference final matchups at least have some potential to be great though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Dallas is the only team left that I want to see win. I would be ok with Colorado, Florida, or Edmonton. Under no circumstances do I want to see Vancouver or the Rangers win it all. However, gun to my head, if it comes down to Rangers-Canucks, I will begrudgingly root for the Rangers.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I am completely ok with this

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's not really been that much drama in these playoffs, and when the dust settles it looks like it's going to be the four best teams (or at least, the four division winners) as the four conference finalists. When's the last time that happened?

Between that and the tragic lack of overtime marathons, to be honest these have been maybe the least exciting playoffs of my lifetime. These conference final matchups at least have some potential to be great though.

Rangers are the first presidents trophy winning team to advance to the conference finals since…the rangers did it in 2015

That team was beat to hell though

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
hey eric the mauve how are the bruins gonna do against the rangers now? stupid rear end bitch lmfao

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Levitate posted:

I am completely ok with this

Yeah it's a good trade for the Rangers

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

heehee posted:

hey eric the mauve how are the bruins gonna do against the rangers now? stupid rear end bitch lmfao

Wow this is very aggressive

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sure but you have to also consider, gently caress boston

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SilvergunSuperman posted:

gently caress boston

forever and always

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

heehee posted:

ahem i take this back, i see you post a bunch about stardew valley which is epic and also i think i am mixing you up with someone else

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fartknocker posted:

forever and always

Amen.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

deoju posted:

I won't claim to be an expert on Russia, but I like to think my opinions aren't uninformed.

However, I admittedly don't know much about transfer agreements.

lmfao again

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Jamwad Hilder posted:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

heehee posted:

lmfao again

lol thanks for reminding me that someone posting their old college textbooks to prove their intellect that poo poo rocks

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
I think one reason that these playoffs have been a bit whelming is that it seems like whenever there might be a game headed to OT a team instead gives up the go-ahead goal in the last couple minutes of regulation. This seems to be happening a lot more this season than in recent playoffs. And when we have had OT the games usually end within the first few minutes of the first OT period. Have there even been any other multiple OT games aside from the two 2OT games the Canes played? We need another 4OT epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Chuch posted:

I think one reason that these playoffs have been a bit whelming is that it seems like whenever there might be a game headed to OT a team instead gives up the go-ahead goal in the last couple minutes of regulation. This seems to be happening a lot more this season than in recent playoffs. And when we have had OT the games usually end within the first few minutes of the first OT period. Have there even been any other multiple OT games aside from the two 2OT games the Canes played? We need another 4OT epic.

Refs saw this post