Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Crustashio posted:

You can get running R32s for less than 10k in canada, like closer to 6.

And then spend that amount on maintenance/unfucking it after you buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crustashio posted:

You can get running R32s for less than 10k in canada, like closer to 6.

You're spending north of 10k for a good GT-R, luckily the GT-R has gotten so expensive it's getting out of reach of dipshits. However, I'm not really sure why anyone would want a GTS-T or GTS4 (if you live in a LHD country, that is)....surely there a LHD options that would be better. They are still great cars but I think the money could be better spent on an RX-7, Z-car, EVO etc.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

animeliker posted:

You're spending north of 10k for a good GT-R, luckily the GT-R has gotten so expensive it's getting out of reach of dipshits. However, I'm not really sure why anyone would want a GTS-T or GTS4 (if you live in a LHD country, that is)....surely there a LHD options that would be better. They are still great cars but I think the money could be better spent on an RX-7, Z-car, EVO etc.

Well looking at bang-for-buck it's hard to beat the old standby of the Corvette (even an early C5 is still balls quick), but if you're looking at GT-Rs already aesthetics certainly play into it; some people just want the Skyline look for cheap.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Town Car Bentley Conversion.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fucknag posted:

Well looking at bang-for-buck it's hard to beat the old standby of the Corvette (even an early C5 is still balls quick), but if you're looking at GT-Rs already aesthetics certainly play into it; some people just want the Skyline look for cheap.

The C4 Corvette is an even better deal, in fact I can't think of a cheaper way to go faster than a C4. Even the early Cross-Fire injection cars run 6.6 0-60, and the L98 ones run anywhere between 5.3-6.5 seconds. They do have issues though.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Hit an Apex posted:

a 3.8L V8 ?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Derp for this:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine#AJ30.2FAJ35

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

animeliker posted:

Also the rust problem had taken hold of a lot of the R32s still in Japan - I've seen a bunch of GT-Rs pop up on the local auction sites here in New Zealand that don't have a hope in hell of being complied

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Hit an Apex posted:

That is actually pretty impressive. Is there a body kit company our there or are each of those panels hand made?

At the end of they day, you kinds have to wonder who spent $25K (which I believe, given the interior and exterior work) to fake a car that can be had on ebay for about that much anyway.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The gap on the passenger-side headlights looks awful.

Also, look at how crooked this is:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Ot...=US_Cars_Trucks

Not the engine I would choose and I hate having gauges everywhere but goddamn this must be awesome:

570 horse, 2700 lbs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

production value > car value

Nissan bought it for $1400
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1089244_nissan-bought-the-maxima-from-that-brilliant-craigslist-ad-now-tell-them-what-to-do-with-it

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4247307232.html

This looks like a nice opportunity for someone.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

blk posted:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4247307232.html

This looks like a nice opportunity for someone.

Scam or something wrong with the car that he isn't being upfront about.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

blk posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Ot...=US_Cars_Trucks

Not the engine I would choose and I hate having gauges everywhere but goddamn this must be awesome:

570 horse, 2700 lbs.

and here is that, or a very similar DeLorean with a twin turbo buick V6, in the April 1988 issue of Sports Car Illustrated

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I am the dumbest motherfucker on the planet.

Oh god, someone talk me out of this. Even if it needs a completely new transmission...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4258859515.html

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

nitrogen posted:

I am the dumbest motherfucker on the planet.

Google agrees..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I have no clue why the gently caress...

btw, that's "cerveau d'un sandwich au fromage!" to you!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

intheflesh posted:

guys
GUYS
I'm having a hard time not purchasing this help

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4214354369.html

Keywords:

Two things:
Which one of you is this?
I have more than the number of dollars he is asking and I have the day off. This is not a good combo

This is down to $2k now.

:cmon:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Please buy that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For a second I thought it said '98 and I was going to scream "buy it buy it buy it" because even the engine alone would be worth more than that, but with the '96 and LT1 it might be worth a bit less.

That said, 4L60E rebuilds are cheap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mobby_6kl posted:

This is down to $2k now.

:cmon:

I should probably fly up and offer the guy $1500.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The 96 optispark is the best optispark. Ah that isn't saying too much. F it any TA is a good TA.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Elephanthead posted:

The 96 optispark is the best optispark. Ah that isn't saying too much. F it any TA is a good TA.

Isn't there a coil set-up you can swap out for that? I remember looking into alternatives shortly before I sold my 93.

I'm not so sure about it, but I also kind of remember something about some after market optispark that had a lifetime warranty? But even with that I think opting for an alternative would be preferable to being stranded, then having to do the labor swapping out the opti.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4174235891.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012
Cheap WRX, just needs a clutch...

quote:

For sale 02 subaru wrx 2.0 turbo top intercooler. . Car runs n drive but needs flywheel and new clutch kit. . Csr start but won't go because the clutch and though out bearing is mess up along with the flywheel. . Clean interior and one dings on the side. Car have turbo timer. 3 inch cat back exhaust sistem . Headers and blow of vale n big intercooler.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4258011110.html

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

animeliker posted:

The C4 Corvette is an even better deal, in fact I can't think of a cheaper way to go faster than a C4. Even the early Cross-Fire injection cars run 6.6 0-60, and the L98 ones run anywhere between 5.3-6.5 seconds. They do have issues though.

Why in the world wouldnt you get an LT1 car?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That thing's been rode hard and put up wet...

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

keykey posted:

That thing's been rode hard and put up wet...

ya the turbo timer is always a tell-tale sign for me. Nonetheless, you can prob talk him down a bit, pick up a clutch kit, weekend of wrenching, hope second gear isnt destroyed and tada...you have a cheap wrx that you can dick around in for a couple months. then you can pawn it off to some highschool kid for 10k. The only thing holding me back from this is my girlfriend telling me I need to get at least one 944 out of the garage or else she's pushing it out(and well all the xmas shopping that put a nice dent in my bank account).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

shoopeach posted:

ya the turbo timer is always a tell-tale sign for me. Nonetheless, you can prob talk him down a bit, pick up a clutch kit, weekend of wrenching, hope second gear isnt destroyed and tada...you have a cheap wrx that you can dick around in for a couple months. then you can pawn it off to some highschool kid for 10k. The only thing holding me back from this is my girlfriend telling me I need to get at least one 944 out of the garage or else she's pushing it out(and well all the xmas shopping that put a nice dent in my bank account).

If the TOB is hosed it's probably chewed up the (aluminum) input shaft as well which means you're gonna want one of these TOB sleeves. Still not rocket science, you just drop in the kit and keep going.

My bigger problem would be the lunched up and bondoed rear quarter on one side and the smashed rear bumper clip on the other side. Someone went drifting and found a tree. The drivers' seat fabric also looks weird around the airbag area, it's got a temporary reg, the hood scoop is different (and not from an STI - probably some cheap aftermarket "carbon fibber" piece which may or may not have the proper TMIC splitter integrated into it) and the tail lights are ricey and aren't sealed properly judging from the condensation. I could also be wrong but it looks like in that first engine pic that the stock boost control solenoid has been messed with since it's just dangling in space instead of attached to its stock mount with its stock plastic cover in place. Something huge has hit the intercooler a few times. There's a BOV instead of the stock BPV. All of the fasteners inside the engine bay are more rusty than I've seen on salt belt cars, which is inexplicable in Texas. The trunk release lever handle is broken. Interior fasteners are missing. The aftermarket stereo does not have a faceplate.

It also has a front strut brace, which on a GD is a clear indicator that the owner is mentally retarded. The brace is partially dismantled right now because I'm guessing they wanted to swap the intercooler back to "stock" from whatever it was before.

You might also want to budget to replace the bottom end on that EJ205 since I bet Drifty McPaydayLoan doesn't know how to check their oil before throwing it into corners.

That WRX has the potential to become a lot more expensive than $2600 approximately five seconds after you buy it. This is "plastidipped DSM" levels of run away, but it does have the optional armrest extender which I really liked in my WRX.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 27, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have owned one of these, however mine was a single turbo, not a twin.

I had just started working on my own cars, and when I went to change the tranny fluid I filled it with gear oil instead of ATF :v:

Was a great car though, and I would probably pay close to 11k for that one.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Nice price or crack pipe?

(Bearing in mind that the guy who did the wiring is trustworthy and wholly competent.)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4245696887.html

If I had four grand and a parking spot for it I'd buy it without a test drive.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I had no idea these things were even sold in the US. Was this imported in secondhand, or did they actually appear in dealerships?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

drukqs posted:

(Bearing in mind that the guy who did the wiring is trustworthy and wholly competent.)

Pretty much your standard Subaru - buy the drivetrain and they throw in the car for free.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

JaysonAych posted:

I had no idea these things were even sold in the US. Was this imported in secondhand, or did they actually appear in dealerships?

They weren't. It's RHD. I've seen a couple in person and they are pretty sharp looking cars. There was even one that had a power folding hard top roof type dealie too. They are fairly rare nowadays, even in Japan.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If the TOB is hosed it's probably chewed up the (aluminum) input shaft as well which means you're gonna want one of these TOB sleeves. Still not rocket science, you just drop in the kit and keep going.

My bigger problem would be the lunched up and bondoed rear quarter on one side and the smashed rear bumper clip on the other side. Someone went drifting and found a tree. The drivers' seat fabric also looks weird around the airbag area, it's got a temporary reg, the hood scoop is different (and not from an STI - probably some cheap aftermarket "carbon fibber" piece which may or may not have the proper TMIC splitter integrated into it) and the tail lights are ricey and aren't sealed properly judging from the condensation. I could also be wrong but it looks like in that first engine pic that the stock boost control solenoid has been messed with since it's just dangling in space instead of attached to its stock mount with its stock plastic cover in place. Something huge has hit the intercooler a few times. There's a BOV instead of the stock BPV. All of the fasteners inside the engine bay are more rusty than I've seen on salt belt cars, which is inexplicable in Texas. The trunk release lever handle is broken. Interior fasteners are missing. The aftermarket stereo does not have a faceplate.

It also has a front strut brace, which on a GD is a clear indicator that the owner is mentally retarded. The brace is partially dismantled right now because I'm guessing they wanted to swap the intercooler back to "stock" from whatever it was before.

You might also want to budget to replace the bottom end on that EJ205 since I bet Drifty McPaydayLoan doesn't know how to check their oil before throwing it into corners.

That WRX has the potential to become a lot more expensive than $2600 approximately five seconds after you buy it. This is "plastidipped DSM" levels of run away, but it does have the optional armrest extender which I really liked in my WRX.

:tipshat: goddamn I didn't even pick up on half the stuff you posted. I feel like I haven't been lurking craigslist enough.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

shoopeach posted:

:tipshat: goddamn I didn't even pick up on half the stuff you posted. I feel like I haven't been lurking craigslist enough.

I just loved that it ended with "but it does have the armrest extender"

Here's some houston for ya:
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4260332344.html

quote:

Need to sale ASAP. Bills are catching up. The car is in very good condition and it has 120,000 original miles. Has a straight 6 . For more info call or email. Clean title. Its in a covered garage. Im not walking out there to get the VIN number. You get it if you buy it.

I just like that they took the time to take a picture, post it to craigslist, but gently caress going out there and getting that vin number.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

drukqs posted:

Hopefully they did a coilpack conversion because all the V2 STIs running around here have had ignition problems and been converted by now. The turbo might be different too considering I don't see the stock "smokestack" heatsink from the early STI, but those are pretty stupid and might have been abandoned for the V2.

It also doesn't have a plate and is parked on private property - perhaps it is unregisterable or unsmoggable? It is difficult to tune the JDM ECUs and most people end up running "offroad" chips from some random guy. It's not like the 02+ Subarus which can be tuned easily with a laptop. It isn't even OBD2.

The bodywork is sort of eh. The grille that it's missing is one of the priciest front end parts on a GC, the rear quarters don't look too bad (but check to see if the rubber "rock strips" are still in there and remove them if so - they trap moisture and salt and lead to rust). Front bumper is sagging but that can be fixed (ideally by replacing that with a v6 bumper from SGP) and it needs a good cleaning, clay barring and waxing. Passenger headlight and corner light is brand new while drivers' side is not - perhaps a past accident.

Also why would you do all that interior swap work and stick with the 4-spoke steering wheel?

It's an OK project car but I don't think it's anywhere near the level that $4400 would demand. I bet if you talked to the owner for a half hour or so about Subarus that they'd start knocking down the price.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 27, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1981-jeep-J10-quad-cab-W0QQAdIdZ520010091

This is awesome, but way too overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have always had some weird fascination with a tiny old air cooled Porsche for a project. For $2500 it makes me want to be irresponsible. Description and pics:
http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1064361?ad_cid=3

quote:

This car is now owned by second owner. Original owner put this car in a barn in Provo area for almost 20 years. Original Paint on it was Yellow. I repainted in Red. After it sat in the Barn for so long we ended up needing to replace most of the hoses and several parts that aged. We got the car running good and we've had it for a few years. My son drove it only a few times with me during High School as a project car for both of us to work together. He just went on a Mission in early November so selling it now.

Very little rust. Car is great shape for 40+ years. Just passed safety inspection and licensed last month as Vintage Plates in Utah.

Car is drivable and runs fine (good). No major maintenance needed at all. Right now it needs a few dollars, a few hours and some patience and love put into it for long term care and cosmetics. I've found reliable mechanics and Porsche enthusiast to work with here in Davis County and Salt Lake County so problem in getting parts or maintenance for it. Just need to make the time and be willing to put a few dollars and hours into this beauty.

Year: 1972
Make: Porsche
Model: 914
Body: Convertible 2 door
Mileage: 40,693 (Actual is closer to 48K) Odometer issue while working on rebuild of major components and wiring.
VIN: 4722901930
Title Type: Clear Title
Exterior Color: Red
Interior Color: Black
Transmission: Manual
Liters: 1.8L
Cylinders: 4

1972 Porsche 914 Convertible (Hard Top)

Has been nearly restored to original condition, it is a beautiful collectible car. . It is priced reasonably. Drives very well. New carb. Lots of $ put into it for engine and body work to get it into a proper working condition. It's a great car that can use more love to take it to the next level. It runs great, drives great, looks great and is a classic sports car.

Car has been well taken care of. Has been in a Garage most of its life. LOW mileage. 40693. One thing about that is the odometer and speedometer have not been working since we did some electronic wiring work last year. It has been up and running for about 2 years. It has rarely been driven (car shows and Sunday drives) We have a few cosmetic issues we are working on and needs to have a small piece welded on so the engine lid stays in place. Otherwise no problems really.

Call me to set up a time in the afternoon or evenings for test drive or review. In Bountiful. Priced to sell quickly otherwise will put in storage