Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

voodoorootbeer posted:

Has anybody had any issues with Citizens Photo scans? I ordered the high res scans and they look like they took low res files and saved them in a higher resolution.

What format? What resolution? Can you show us a 100% crop?

I get their scans of the 35mm my girlfriend shoots and they're always fine. It's possible something unusual happened - give them a call!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
100%:

After further review, it's only the 35mm that looks this way and the 120 is fine. Resolution is 3091x2048 (short side of medium format rolls is also 2048). I planned on calling them before I send in any more rolls but I wanted to make sure I knew what the poo poo I was talking about first.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm shopping for darkroom supplies. What're the best bottles/containers to mix powdered stuff in and to store it in?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

voodoorootbeer posted:

100%:

After further review, it's only the 35mm that looks this way and the 120 is fine. Resolution is 3091x2048 (short side of medium format rolls is also 2048). I planned on calling them before I send in any more rolls but I wanted to make sure I knew what the poo poo I was talking about first.

That looks like overly aggressive sharpening but also not much different than what I get.

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm shopping for darkroom supplies. What're the best bottles/containers to mix powdered stuff in and to store it in?

Delta Datatainers.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I keep my fix in accordion bottles so I can squeeze the air out easily. I keep my HC-110 in datatainers

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I have a random collection of datatainers and mouthwash bottles.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
liquid laundry detergent bottles work good.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

MrBlandAverage posted:

That looks like overly aggressive sharpening but also not much different than what I get.

Thanks, I think they're going to be my go-to lab for the foreseeable future

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I recently got my first camera without an aperture priority mode, but it still has a DOF preview. Should I be metering off my DOF? My gut says yes, but the fact that the button itself was not super common makes me question that.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Huxley posted:

I recently got my first camera without an aperture priority mode, but it still has a DOF preview. Should I be metering off my DOF? My gut says yes, but the fact that the button itself was not super common makes me question that.

Which camera is it specifically? Most cameras with TTL metering have a coupling between the lens and the body that basically says "Hey, I'm actually stopped down a little bit from wide open, so please adjust your meter reading by so many stops to compensate."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

Which camera is it specifically? Most cameras with TTL metering have a coupling between the lens and the body that basically says "Hey, I'm actually stopped down a little bit from wide open, so please adjust your meter reading by so many stops to compensate."

A Pentax km, which is basically a K1000 with a DOF button.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Huxley posted:

A Pentax km, which is basically a K1000 with a DOF button.

As long as it's an "automatic" lens then no you don't need to meter with the DOF button depressed, thsi is called "stop down metering" btw. Some older lenses which might be labeled "manual" or "preset" would need to to use this method but nothing of the same vintage as the KM.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Finished shooting my first roll of Portra. Now to find a place that still develops film (3 nearby CVSs have laughed at me). I think there's a camera store nearby that does it a couple days of the week.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

akadajet posted:

Finished shooting my first roll of Portra. Now to find a place that still develops film (3 nearby CVSs have laughed at me). I think there's a camera store nearby that does it a couple days of the week.

http://www.citizensphoto.com/

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I recently moved to Lansing, MI and there doesn't seem to be a photo lab here. What by-mail services do people recommend? I only want the film developed, 120 and 35mm.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LargeHadron posted:

I recently moved to Lansing, MI and there doesn't seem to be a photo lab here. What by-mail services do people recommend? I only want the film developed, 120 and 35mm.

Citizens Photo is $3 per roll (C41, dev b&w yourself) and they're fast. Good scans too.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

That's not bad. If I ever try slide film I might send it to them. I ended up going with the camera store here that does it for 5 bux, but only a couple of days a week.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Citizens Photo is $3 per roll (C41, dev b&w yourself) and they're fast. Good scans too.

Thanks. Man, I wish I lived in Portland, OR. That seems to be where all the cool poo poo is.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

LargeHadron posted:

Thanks. Man, I wish I lived in Portland, OR. That seems to be where all the cool poo poo is.

Grass is always greener.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

And they've got greener grass? I really am missing out

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

They have lots of hipsters and aggressive homeless.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

akadajet posted:

They have lots of hipsters and aggressive homeless.

Hipsters is a subjective thing but the aggressive homeless is 100% correct.

Thread related: Shot a roll of Portra 400 on 35mm. Dropped it off today and opted for TIFF scanning and holy poo poo I just need to invest in my own equipment at this point.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 8, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Anyone know of a place that will do proof print/scans of my color rolls? I saw some in Instagram...just little few inch long prints per photo. Could be fun to do. Maybe citizens?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

Anyone know of a place that will do proof print/scans of my color rolls? I saw some in Instagram...just little few inch long prints per photo. Could be fun to do. Maybe citizens?

If you're gonna do a lot of it, why not consider a Canon CP900?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

alkanphel posted:

If you're gonna do a lot of it, why not consider a Canon CP900?

Because :effort:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lots of dust to clean up, but the colors and stuff came out pretty good. This was with the T70 and Portra 400. I used the levels method from that video to convert the negative.

Hey check out this old camera by Jonathan Taylor, on Flickr

akadajet fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 9, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

So this is kind of annoying. 10 pictures in the middle of my roll came out black, and then there's once frame with like 1/3 of a picture. I'm guessing the shutter got stuck closed?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Trip report: Portra is good. Edit: And my eyes loving suck.

Gate by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Frog by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

6 7 by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 9, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Huxley posted:

Trip report: Portra is good.

Gate by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Frog by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

6 7 by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

And has magenta and green color casts?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pukestain Pal posted:

And has magenta and green color casts?

I'm colorblind but my wife told me they looked OK when she looked at them this morning. I followed that levels tutorial to a T, but I guess that's no substitute for actually being able to trust my eyes.

I would really like to stop paying for scanning, but I guess I'm just physically incapable of accurately doing my own colors.

SORRY EVERYBODY. : (

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 9, 2015

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Even though it's greener than a crowd shot of a St. Paddy's Day parade, I like this shot.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Helicity posted:

Even though it's greener than a crowd shot of a St. Paddy's Day parade, I like this shot.

Thanks. I spent 2-3 hours last night scanning that roll and really trying hard to get the colors right, just to see if I was physically capable of doing it.

Guess not. That makes me want to just sell all my film stuff and stick to letting Fuji handle my JPGs. Or I guess just shoot BW. What a bummer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They are very green. What screen are you on?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They are very green. What screen are you on?

They look the same to me on my home PC, my work Mac, and my iPad. I think the issue is I'm RG colorblind. I just literally don't see the green or magenta when it's there or when it's gone. I did color negative scans as well and compared them and they looked pretty much the same to me.

What's the best way to remove a green cast that I can't see? I can at least do that and re-upload to flickr.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

You can always shoot black and white if you have trouble seeing colors. :v:

Or maybe get a gray card?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

Lots of dust to clean up, but the colors and stuff came out pretty good. This was with the T70 and Portra 400. I used the levels method from that video to convert the negative.

Hey check out this old camera by Jonathan Taylor, on Flickr

nice it looks like your office's fluorescents aren't incredibly terrible

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

I'm colorblind but my wife told me they looked OK when she looked at them this morning. I followed that levels tutorial to a T, but I guess that's no substitute for actually being able to trust my eyes.

I would really like to stop paying for scanning, but I guess I'm just physically incapable of accurately doing my own colors.

SORRY EVERYBODY. : (

Try this method that I use instead. Takes a lot of guesswork out of it. Let us see how it turns out.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BANME.sh posted:

Try this method that I use instead. Takes a lot of guesswork out of it. Let us see how it turns out.

Thanks! I'll try that tonight when I get home and see how it goes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I do think having a neutral target like a gray card could help you. Just picking a neutral-ish for gray helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Or you could just bring the blue channel down in the shadows