Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Power of Pecota posted:

Proper Star Wars episode order: 4-5-4-2-6-5-5-6-TFA-4-1-ACB:DL-3-2-1-Rogue One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZmnqY5iJUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Power of Pecota posted:

Proper Star Wars episode order: 4-5-4-2-6-5-5-6-TFA-4-1-ACB:DL-3-2-1-Rogue One

The Obi-Wan-Konami Code

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Another reason to watch the original trilogy first is that prequels are chock full of references and allusions to the originals that won't make any sense if you haven't seen them first. Also if you happen to be the one person on earth that doesn't know the ending of Empire Strikes Back watching the prequels first kind of ruins the twist

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

therattle posted:

True in some cases, but I was never a believer, and as I wrote above, I dislike the prequels because they are loving terrible films. Absolutely awful dialogue and acting.

You probably weren't among the millions raging against the 1999, 2002 and 2005 films. And I'm guessing you weren't seething with anger over midi-chlorians etc. like many people I remember.

Of the last four films I do remember a lot of dialogue from Revenge of the Sith.

e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvq2XlxUGnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05dT34hGRdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATuq8O3920

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbOH1G7hsb0

Palpatine's deception in ep. III stands out.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Re: this Star Wars chat. It's incredible to me that we are talking about one of the biggest franchises of all time, one of the most beloved franchises of all time, the poster child of Science Fiction and all the posts on here practically read as:

- 1-3 are complete poo poo with awful characters, dialogue, acting and universe building
- 4 and 5 are great but don't watch the poo poo version that is practically the only version that is available, it's awful. Try and find the untouched laser disc version.
- 6 is ok, worth watching if you liked the first two, maybe avoid the last 30mins though. Oh, and see above for what version to watch.
- 7 is fine, but was basically just a rehash of 4 and 5 and didn't really add anything new. Enjoyable enough.

How is this the most beloved franchise of all time again?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
because 4,5,6 were good and there was nothing exactly like them before they came out.
They don't need to be perfect to be beloved.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Star Wars has always been pretty good.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like Star Wars even though I'm fairly neutral on stars and don't care much for wars.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah, popularity isn't indicative of quality. And I say that as a Star Wars fan for over 3 decades.

Looten Plunder posted:

Re: this Star Wars chat. It's incredible to me that we are talking about one of the biggest franchises of all time

If you adjust for inflation then the Star Wars films have made $12.4 billion worldwide and the 25 James Bond films have made about $13.4 billion but Rogue One will probably put Star Wars out in front.
For comparison the 14 MCU films have made $11.5 billion so far and the 9 Harry Potter films are up to $10.5 billion (adjusted).

Of course that's just movie ticket sales, if you count home media and toys/merchandise then Star Wars has made way way more money.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
The prequels are badly constructed movies that are a slog to watch but it can be fun to take the story elements and sort of "myth-craft" them into what they say about the state of the late Republic and the Jedi Order.

What we're presented with in 1, 2, 3 is an arrogant, clueless, and cloistered cabal of wizards high on their own farts while civilized society slowly decays around them. They've clearly long abandoned any sense of what makes the Force effective, hiding behind rigid and uncompromising behavioral codes and traditions that have no room for adapting to changing times. The obvious lies and deception that Yoda and Obi-Wan throw in Luke's face throughout 4,5,6 actually make a lot of sense given the heavy-handed management of the late Jedi Order. It recasts the whole thing as Yoda and Kenobi conspiring to mold Luke into an instrument of vengeance against the people and organizations that punked them so badly in the prequels (keep in mind it's Luke alone who thinks Vader can be turned back; both Yoda and Ben argue vehemently to just kill him). It's petty and short-sighted but it fits in perfectly with what we learn of the Jedi in 1, 2, 3.

The Senate is a corrupt, ineffective joke where an obvious dweeb like Jar-Jar Binks can be elevated to a position of importance with no one noticing or caring. The rise of Palpatine and the creation of the Empire seems more like the inevitable descent into strong-man populism instead of the tragic deconstruction of a great civilization.

It's just realized on screen so poorly it's hard to care.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 16, 2016

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

That's what excited me about the new Star Wars management's plans to allow for smaller off-shoot films in the franchise, like stand-alone films or separate series. I'd love a film exploring some of those darker, more interesting areas of the storyline.

They couldn't have chosen a less interesting start than a Young Han Solo film, though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I agree, Young Lando is 10x a better premise.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

csidle posted:

That's what excited me about the new Star Wars management's plans to allow for smaller off-shoot films in the franchise, like stand-alone films or separate series.

They need to be actually stand-alone, though, Rogue One is nonsense if you haven't either just watched New Hope or already have it committed to memory.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Edit wrong thread oops don't know how that happend

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 18, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

DeimosRising posted:

Hey HUNDU, 8 1/2 is on TCM tomorrow evening if you wanna cross that one off your list. Also TCM is having a spousal murder movie marathon for most of the day tomorrow, which rules.

I'm getting mixed messages here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Hey HUNDU, 8 1/2 is on TCM tomorrow evening if you wanna cross that one off your list. Also TCM is having a spousal murder movie marathon for most of the day tomorrow, which rules.

I don't feel any pressing need.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm getting mixed messages here.

I didn't see rogue one yet but I bet it could use some spousal murder

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't feel any pressing need.

Me either but I'll probably record it and then idly consider watching it for weeks before picking something else

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They need to be actually stand-alone, though, Rogue One is nonsense if you haven't either just watched New Hope or already have it committed to memory.

I haven't watched ANH for years, what about it do you feels needs to be committed to memory to enjoy R1? My wife even liked it more than she expected and I don't think she's even seen ANH all the way through.

I'd say not thinking about it too much even helps out, as anyone Star Wars nerdy enough won't be too shocked that everyone gets slaughtered at the end, which isn't exactly normal for most sci-fi action films.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
My daughter was very shocked :(

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

i saw it with a friend who's never seen the old ones.

you're missing some in-jokes like them bumping into Dr Evazan & Ponda Baba, but nothing important to the plot thats isn't also explained in R1 so it's totally understandable.
about the only confusing thing is why one human character out of dozens is weirdly CGI. and that's nonsense even when you know the reason.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cerv posted:

i saw it with a friend who's never seen the old ones.

you're missing some in-jokes like them bumping into Dr Evazan & Ponda Baba, but nothing important to the plot thats isn't also explained in R1 so it's totally understandable.
about the only confusing thing is why one human character out of dozens is weirdly CGI. and that's nonsense even when you know the reason.

I watched the old ones multiple times as a child & I have no idea who Dr Evazan & Ponda Baba are.

But also I would assume they make the new movies as self-contained stories with their own plot and danger and character development, that plugs into the old star war movies. Otherwise they'd just limit their audience to the crazy nerds who watched the originals and who also still care so much about them. Fans are a lovely audience, there's no situation where you wouldn't wanna try and grab a better audience than fans of of an earlier property.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't know who either of those characters are but I assume they're the two guys that Obi Wan fights in the cantina in ANH that they run into in the street in Rogue One

Am I right?

You know the guy that tries to pick a fight with Luke and gets his arm cut off and all that.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

FishBulb posted:

I don't know who either of those characters are but I assume they're the two guys that Obi Wan fights in the cantina in ANH that they run into in the street in Rogue One

Am I right?

You know the guy that tries to pick a fight with Luke and gets his arm cut off and all that.

Yes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I knew the name Ponda Baba but not the other personally. Knowing ANH made that scene a bit worse as it felt totally shoehorned whereas anyone not knowing Star Wars at all wouldn't have even noticed it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

That's one of the few Robot Chicken Star Wars sketches I enjoy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snak posted:

Like I watched that fan edit that SMG linked the other day, and while the Daft Punk and John Carpenter soundtrack made it tolerable, and it was 1 movie instead of 3, I still feel like I watched a bunch of garbage. The Darth Maul fight was abridged quite well, but the Dooku fight and final RotS fight were completely intact.

Where is this fan edit? I've been digging back through this thread and can't find it. Just curious how Carpenter's music reacts over Lucas' visuals.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Where is this fan edit? I've been digging back through this thread and can't find it. Just curious how Carpenter's music reacts over Lucas' visuals.

https://youtu.be/KJJqYoMxG7o

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks. Times like these I wish the Dialogue and MnE stems were more widely available for movies. It'd be cool to hear this mixed with the proper elements so it's not as clunky around the dialogue scenes.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I've never understood the end of robocop: why can he still not break directive 4, even after he was going to murder Clarence and be violating his other directives?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Because that's how powerful capitalism is

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Well, it's been a decade, but I IIRC:

- Robocop upholds the law
- OCP do their thing
- Robocop investigates and arrests fuckers
- OCP still do bad poo poo
- Robocop ends up in front of OCP fuckers
- OCP hidden fourth directive: do not hurt OCP officers
- Murphy kills those fuckers & "blames" it on that guy pulling a gun

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

e: yeah, it's when he pulls the gun that Murphy gets the "go ahead" to shoot

https://vimeo.com/86014703

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

I've never understood the end of robocop: why can he still not break directive 4, even after he was going to murder Clarence and be violating his other directives?

Earlier when he initially arrested Boddicker he roughed him up pretty badly but when he tried to crush his throat his directives overrode his actions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMT8UN9bSiA

In the final showdown with Boddicker in the steelworks he says he's not going to arrest him but he doesn't actually get the chance to shoot him before he gets attacked and he has to fight for his life. Killing an attacker to save himself is different than shooting an unarmed man in cold blood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY89o4QFvQM
If his life wasn't in danger and he'd tried to just shoot Boddicker there's a chance his directives would have prevented him again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Robocop kills that guy in the end because hes fired.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The loud "SPLUT!" when Bodickers blood splashes onto Robocops chest plate is one of the best sound effects ever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tenzarin posted:

Robocop kills that guy in the end because hes fired.

Yeah that was the question: why couldn't he override his directives and kill Jones when he was sorta lax about following his directives in other scenes? The answer is that although Murphy intended to murder Boddicker in cold blood (which would have been against his Robocop directives) he didn't really get the chance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
All this Robocop talk reminded me that :nws: this exists :nws:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

It's a little weird because doesn't SMG refer to this as "Fall of the Jedi"? As far as I can make out, that's a separate thing available only through some fanfilm forum. Neon Noir is great, though.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I'm looking for a film where an assassin is hanging out of a little window in a billboard advert with a smiling face, but is HIMSELF assassinated while preparing to shoot, possibly by James Bond? He's hanging out of the smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

magnum_valentino posted:

I'm looking for a film where an assassin is hanging out of a little window in a billboard advert with a smiling face, but is HIMSELF assassinated while preparing to shoot, possibly by James Bond? He's hanging out of the smile.

It's definitely a Bond. One with gypsies I think. From Russia With Love.

quote:

Kerim decides to finish long-time enemy Kurilenko by shooting him out of his escape hatch—the mouth of an actress painted on the side of his building advertising the film Call Me Bwana, which just so happens to be the only film financed by Eon Production outside of the Bond franchise.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/jalopnik.com/from-russia-with-love-the-bond-film-alfred-hitchcock-n-1736740928/amp?client=safari

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 24, 2016