Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was sure I remembered Martin Landau having passed away like 2 years ago, like I'm pretty sure it was the catalyst for me to rewatch North by Northwest (also because the movie rules) but nope he was apparently holding out for me to watch Ready to Rumble again and eventually got tired of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I was sure I remembered Martin Landau having passed away like 2 years ago, like I'm pretty sure it was the catalyst for me to rewatch North by Northwest (also because the movie rules) but nope he was apparently holding out for me to watch Ready to Rumble again and eventually got tired of it.

Oh than that's just the #MandelaEffect I've got some bad news about the Berenstain Bears.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm mad that Bryan Alvarez has done story after story on After Dark about the yeti, and yet not a single investigation of the Yeah-Tay

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Somebody has already uploaded the YET-TAY to the new Fire Pro game.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Stevie Ray being problematic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TkeQzbv6Fc

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

R. Kelly is a poser

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Here goes Booker T's chances for mayorship.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Oh than that's just the #MandelaEffect I've got some bad news about the Berenstain Bears.

The Mandela Effect is Reddit for "I will create an alternate universe before I will admit that there's something problematic about my inability to tell Shaq and Sinbad apart." :colbert:

Claytor fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 19, 2017

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Claytor posted:

The Mandela Effect is Reddit for "I will create an alternate universe before I will admit that there's something problematic about my inability to tell Shaq and Sinbad apart." :colbert:

That one makes no sense to me. How in the world do people not have an awareness of how wonderful Shaq is. He's Shaqtastic. Of course he made Kazaam. Genie in a boombox. God drat it.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
durrrrrrrrr

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr0zOo6Eb6M

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

He ain't wrong. The police really hosed up their framing by taking too many pictures before they doctored it.

ribtstu
Feb 11, 2017
warrior coming to wcw killed them imo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ribtstu posted:

warrior coming to wcw killed them imo

Nah, they had plenty of opportunities to right the ship after Warrior was done. Goldberg was still champ, ratings and buys and gates were all still good, it's just that they were coming in second.

Warrior was just a symptom that Bischoff was getting desperate, and thought the answer was yet another guy who was well past his peak of popularity, as opposed to building up the guys he already had. And the TV didn't start to get REALLY lovely until later that year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nah, they had plenty of opportunities to right the ship after Warrior was done. Goldberg was still champ, ratings and buys and gates were all still good, it's just that they were coming in second.

Warrior was just a symptom that Bischoff was getting desperate, and thought the answer was yet another guy who was well past his peak of popularity, as opposed to building up the guys he already had. And the TV didn't start to get REALLY lovely until later that year.

Warrior was more a symptom that Hogan had a lot of power and an ego. If they could have moved Hogan into nostalgia feuds it may have actually helped things... if it didn't lead to Goldberg not getting a single heated feud while he was champ.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
True. I can now sort of understand that of course they had to keep Hogan happy, on top of creative control there was the threat of his leaving or worse, being lured back to WWF; on the other hand it's clear that Bischoff never really tried to bring any of his buddies under control so we don't know what might have been.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hogan... being lured back to WWF;

Wonder how THAT would have played out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defiance Industries posted:

Wonder how THAT would have played out.

Hogan threatened to go back basically every year from December of 96 through 99. Brother Love claims talks got really close one year but I kind of doubt it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Was Hogan signing one year contracts?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

Was Hogan signing one year contracts?

Nope! (I think the first couple were pretty short though.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan threatened to go back basically every year from December of 96 through 99. Brother Love claims talks got really close one year but I kind of doubt it.

I have no doubt that Hogan used to do that. I was more wondering what kind of deal Vince would have hypothetically given him since Austin was

A. Hotter than the surface of the loving sun as a draw

and

B. Vocal about his distaste for Hogan

WOULD Hogan have come back to a deal that didn't offer him creative control and all the perks he was used to?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Defiance Industries posted:

WOULD Hogan have come back to a deal that didn't offer him creative control and all the perks he was used to?

That's what he did in his 2002 run.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The NWO and the Attitude Era were so different I can't even imagine Hogan coming back to the WWF at all

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

Shiki Dan posted:

I didn't think he had creative until his 2005 run?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shiki Dan posted:

Because his options were limited and he didn't have the WCW Pinata to bash anymore.
In 1998...not so much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

As we've gone over, you can't really trace WCW's downfall to a single turning point because the TV ratings, PPV buys, and ticket sales didn't all go up and down together. Their house show business collapsed throughout 1999 after the Fingerpoke, but it's not like the Fingerpoke of Doom itself killed WCW.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was a year at the Rumble where they teased Hogan entering, I'm gonna assume that was the "year it got close" perhaps?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

algebra testes posted:

There was a year at the Rumble where they teased Hogan entering, I'm gonna assume that was the "year it got close" perhaps?

Not doubting you but when was this? I don't remember it at all.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not doubting you but when was this? I don't remember it at all.

I think I'm thinking of this incident, from 98

quote:

They've been doing hotline teases based on trying to make money off false stories in wrestling, and there is certainly never going to be a shortage of that. Last week they teased to call about Hogan in the Rumble, and then indignantly said he wasn't and there had been no negotiations. The Savage hotline story went exactly the same

From the observer jan 26 98

In my defence, when you rewatch the TV you have no context of them just denying it when you call and it seems like they're actually teasing it.

From the week before here's some more stuff:

quote:

Which leads us to a more tricky situation, the contractual situation regarding Hulk Hogan. The general belief within WCW is that Hogan inked a new deal with WCW on 1/12, which is why his attorney, Henry Holmes, who was in town to finalize the deal, appeared on Nitro. Supposedly coming off the wildly successful Starrcade, Hogan was able to negotiate himself a huge raise, some saying $1.5 million per year, with the same money figure being thrown around as the appearance bond being an inside rib regarding the raise (just as Eric Bischoff throwing around the $7.5 million figure in the Bret Hart skits may have been an approximation of the total worth over three years of the real deal) . Perhaps the figure is true. We do know that the original storyline was going to be a $1 million performance bond and it was changed.

Speculation went crazy, most in the industry believing it was all fueled by Hogan to use it to sweeten his deal, that Hogan would be headed to the WWF. WCW had all along claimed Hogan was with them, and with the exception of Thursday afternoon when the rumors got very strong, it didn't appear that it was a story many people on the inside were taking seriously although it did become topic No. 1 on the outside. WWF officials who theoretically would have had to know were largely consistent in claiming there had been no negotiations whatsoever with Hogan, claiming they were under the impression he was under contract all along and the last thing they would do is ruin their lawsuit against WCW by tampering with contracted personnel. One other who wouldn't have to know did indicate there was at least smoke to the fire. Which only fueled speculation in many places that everyone involved on all sides was lying to keep a secret that by this point everyone had heard.

All that we do know is it appears WCW's claims of having Hogan completely locked up at the time they were made don't appear to have been true. If they were, there wouldn't have been so much negotiating going on over the past week and the timing of the new deal wouldn't be so coincidental with these stories. Sources close to Hogan claimed that on 1/7, Hogan was to meet with Dr. Harvey Schiller about a new deal as that the negotiations had gone over Eric Bischoff's head. Supposedly the speculation about USA network picking up the television show being a tie-in for a move to WWF were denied as Hogan claimed one had nothing to do with the other. The fact is at press time, there had yet to be even a meeting between Hogan and USA Network about the "Shadow Warriors" television show. While one could believe the possibility of secret third party negotiations involving the WWF and pro wrestling when it comes to Hogan, when it comes to picking up a new television series on the USA network, the negotiations wouldn't be done in such a clandestine manner. It is logical that in a heated ratings battle with TNT, that USA would be interested in stealing what they perceive to be a top ratings attraction at its rival network, however there is no evidence that anything that happened other than Hogan had shopped the idea of the show to USA, and many other cable networks after TNT basically turned the show down. It is logical that if he was offered the opportunity to do a single match with Tyson that Hogan would be interested. Logically, the WWF would certainly be interested in Hogan in such a competitive wrestling war should he be available to them. I've got no evidence that logic materialized into any negotiations that would be considered serious on either side (one source very closely tied in to Hogan denied it, although apparently some others somewhere must be saying otherwise). One would think Hogan would play both sides when trying to ink a new deal and get a raise. Hogan was said while this was all going on to have claimed the TV deal is the TV deal and the wrestling deal would be to whichever side offered the most money, which he strongly presumed would be WCW.

Rumors got so out of hand that it was actually reported in mainstream newspapers that the WWF hotline had claimed Hogan had signed a two-year deal with their organization (not true, and after that came out, Jim Ross on the WWF hotline strongly denied any negotiations had even taken place and went so far as to claim the entire story was all manipulation by Hogan to create a story and end up getting a raise out of it) and there was speculation about which TV taping on 1/12 that Hogan would appear on although the truth was that nobody in WWF expected him at the taping and nobody at WCW didn't expect that he wouldn't be at their taping. On the 1/8 Thunder show, in addressing the rumors actually on the air, Hogan claimed he was where he was for life, but of course given Hogan's track record for honesty that also only fueled rumors more.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Halloween Jack posted:

As we've gone over, you can't really trace WCW's downfall to a single turning point because the TV ratings, PPV buys, and ticket sales didn't all go up and down together. Their house show business collapsed throughout 1999 after the Fingerpoke, but it's not like the Fingerpoke of Doom itself killed WCW.

WCW has always been dying ever since Crockett bought out Watts in the JCP days. That the nWo gave them an incredible 18 month run or whatever is a huge loving anomaly on a bad company run by a succession of stupider and stupider people.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's a pretty perfect summation. They only managed what they did by lucking into the hottest angle in history, and they couldn't even turn that into long-term success.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/GwinnettBraves/status/889998711232880641

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Q_res posted:

That's a pretty perfect summation. They only managed what they did by lucking into the hottest angle in history, and they couldn't even turn that into long-term success.

There's not many angles that will turn your company into the biggest company in wrestling history and give you 2+ years of huge profits. There's probably as many examples of hot periods leading to massive down turns as there are hot periods leading to sustained success. There's many that saw companies dying off too. Montreal's hot period in the 70s saw both competing companies die!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If WCW was prepared to be 2nd, then they could well still be around.

The nWo made them 1st, and was insanely hot, but that was never going to last forever. If they had been sensible and been prepared to accept OK-Good returns, rather than chasing dominance over Vince in increasingly shortsighted, reckless, stupid, and insanely expensive ways, (bringing in Warrior being one that ticks all 3 of the aforementioned reasons), then it's arguable that they could still be on TV today. Giving wrestlers more places to work, and viewers more choice.

I mean, we'll never know, but I still think it is arguable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is the greatest bobblehead in the history of our sport!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJnX9uZm9FY

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’m so mad I’m going to miss THE WALL

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Endless Mike posted:

This is the greatest bobblehead in the history of our sport!

Should put around 2,500 butts in the seats.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

If WCW was prepared to be 2nd, then they could well still be around.

The nWo made them 1st, and was insanely hot, but that was never going to last forever. If they had been sensible and been prepared to accept OK-Good returns, rather than chasing dominance over Vince in increasingly shortsighted, reckless, stupid, and insanely expensive ways, (bringing in Warrior being one that ticks all 3 of the aforementioned reasons), then it's arguable that they could still be on TV today. Giving wrestlers more places to work, and viewers more choice.

I mean, we'll never know, but I still think it is arguable.

if they had been second place, wouldn't they have still been killed by the aol merger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

if they had been second place, wouldn't they have still been killed by the aol merger?

That probably had more to do with them losing over $60 million in TYOOL 2000. if they were still making money I'm sure whatever suitdummy was put in charge of them would've kept them around regardless of ratings.