Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Arrowsmith posted:

I don't know how to automate it, but the fastest alternative is to option-click the volume icon in the menu bar and change your sound output that way.

I guess that way works, I never knew about the alternate click as I never had the icon in my dock.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Neurophonic posted:

So Finder keeps on restarting, the only way I notice is that the desktop icons flash for a split second. Console logs are, well, huge:

At this point with the apps not staying logged in bug I think I might as well just do a fresh install.

All of the really useful information is above what you're looking at there. (E.g., backtrace of the crashed thread and application-specific information field.)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

BobHoward posted:

This isn't going to sound real helpful but step 1 is "file a bug report" and step 2 is "wait, and hope".

step 2 is more of "bug report closed as duplicate of something you can't see"

Apple has done a good job of training me to not bother reporting bugs in beta products.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So I've been having problems with my email accounts in AirMail not syncing properly, basically not getting emails pushed. I removed all my accounts and then deleted the app and went to download the app again from the MAS but it's now prompting me to purchase the app again. That said $1.99 isn't bank breaking but I don't see why I should have to purchase an app that I've already previously purchased. Who would be more appropriate to contact to get this resolved, Apple Support or AirMail Support?

Edit: Now it's not showing $1.99 BUY so, I'm installing it again. :iiam:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TACD posted:

2) I'm tempted to get ReadKit to tie together all my reading from RSS and Instapaper (though thinking of moving to Pocket). Has anybody used this? It looks great but I'd love a goon testimonial.
No clue about Pocket but for Instapaper note that you need a paid account. I use it for Feedly and it's alright, I'm fine enough with it that I'm not going to bother looking for another app at least.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Is there a way to get Mail.app to stop being the default message composer when sending PDFs from the print dialog? I use that feature a ton, but have started using Airmail and that is the only place that Mail doesn't seem to want to give up it's default status.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is this contacts syncing? Because according to the logs its been doing this every 30 seconds since I got this macbook.

11/5/13 11:41:52.770 PM AddressBookSourceSync[2068]: Address Book event completed. Changes: 0 (0/0/0).
com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.sleepservices.addressbookData
com.apple.message.value: 0
com.apple.message.uuid: stuff
com.apple.message.uuid2: stuff
com.apple.message.wake_state: 0
Sender_Mach_UUID: stuff

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

spoon daddy posted:

I just switched over to mavericks and decided to make safari my default browser but I've having issues playing youtube videos from Vevo or playing videos straight from the Vevo website. It keeps telling me that I need to update my flash when I try to view their videos on youtube and that I need to install flash when I try to view videos on the Vevo website. Videos play fine in Firefox and my googlefu is turning up nothing recent that seems relevant.

I'm idiot. I haven't used safari in so long I forgot that I had disabled plugins :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I have a different Mavericks/gmail/IMAP issue than the one that was mentioned a couple pages back. There are some emails in my inbox that I've read and just want to put into an archive folder/gmail label, but every time I do it from mail.app it looks like it went fine then some hours later it's back in my inbox. It's annoying as heck. Anyone seen this?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Carthag posted:

I have a different Mavericks/gmail/IMAP issue than the one that was mentioned a couple pages back. There are some emails in my inbox that I've read and just want to put into an archive folder/gmail label, but every time I do it from mail.app it looks like it went fine then some hours later it's back in my inbox. It's annoying as heck. Anyone seen this?
Sounds fairly similar to most of the issues people are having. Supposedly there's an update in testing right now to address the issues.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

TACD posted:

2) I'm tempted to get ReadKit to tie together all my reading from RSS and Instapaper (though thinking of moving to Pocket). Has anybody used this? It looks great but I'd love a goon testimonial.

The problem with ReadKit is it just makes you want Reeder (2) for OS X to hurry up.

It's gotten way better since launch but I still find it crappy enough I do all my RSS reading in-browser or on my phone.

Personally I wouldn't bother.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

What do rMBP people do for replacing the apple remote now that it doesn't have an IR receiver? I was hoping that the update to the iOS apple remote app for itunes would have something for me, but alas :sigh:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

japtor posted:

Sounds fairly similar to most of the issues people are having. Supposedly there's an update in testing right now to address the issues.

Alright, thanks. I thought it was only the unread messages thing that was in testing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Well, this sure is a user-friendly dialog that was sitting there when I logged in this morning:

Installation of what? And where's my Cancel button? Also, iTunes isn't even running, and pressing that magnifying glass starts it up.

It turns out iTunes was running for another user, so the only way to dismiss this was to kill the process in Activity Monitor, but boy, not a good design here. I still have no idea what app was updating.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was iTunes, iTunes was updating.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

gmq posted:

A colleague was complaining about the same thing today. Have you seen this?

Yep, it was Google Drive for me too. Even after the update (which doesn't increment version number, sneaky).

snakeater posted:

The problem with ReadKit is it just makes you want Reeder (2) for OS X to hurry up.

It's gotten way better since launch but I still find it crappy enough I do all my RSS reading in-browser or on my phone.

Exactly my experience, bar a few minor rendering bugs using YouTube5 to convert embedded videos to HTML5, the Feedly web page works better for me on most usage than ReadKit. I do really miss switching to Readability view for the full feed in the article though.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

smackfu posted:

Well, this sure is a user-friendly dialog that was sitting there when I logged in this morning:

I had similar weird issues; I was happily watching a movie on my AppleTV (streaming from my iTunes library) when it suddenly stopped and it couldn't find my library anymore.

Had a look at the Mac and iTunes had tried to update itself, and had managed to kill iTunes, but was showing a dialogue saying iTunes needed to be quit before it could continue... It feels like it may have been to hasty with all it's automatic update killyness. I hope other apps don't start doing similar things because that would be annoying.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Plorkyeran posted:

step 2 is more of "bug report closed as duplicate of something you can't see"

Apple has done a good job of training me to not bother reporting bugs in beta products.

If it makes you feel any better, I can assure you that duplicates are very helpful.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
I've an Airmail issue: it won't stay open. Every time I come to check on the computer (like in the morning, or later in the day) I find that it has crashed. Sometimes it does crash when just running in the background while I'm doing something else. It's vague, I know, but I can't come up with any relevant details, other than that the app and my OS are both up to date.

This isn't even causing any appreciable harm, it's just really annoying.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MacRumors said there are new builds of OS X Mavericks at Apple for employee testing, with fixes to Mail.

quote:

Reportedly nicknamed "Board," OS X 10.9.1 will be released later in the month to fix several bugs introduced with OS X 10.9.

Since the release of Mavericks, users have reported several different issues, with the Mail app, mostly related to Gmail accounts. Apple has already seeded an updated Mail app to its employees and AppleSeed members, and it is possible that a Mail fix could be bundled into the next public Mavericks release.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has anyone noticed the autocorrect in Mavericks being way too sensitive? For example type "6ish" and hit space. It'll autocorrect to "fish." I vaguely remember that prior to Mavericks I can just hit cmd+z to undo the auto correct and move on but try it now in Mavericks and it'll just undo the entire text entry. If you wait long enough then you can get Mavericks to just undo the autocorrect, but now try hitting space again and it'll autocorrect right back and there's nothing you can do to make it stop.

It's really annoying when my words aren't spelled wrong.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has anyone noticed the autocorrect in Mavericks being way too sensitive? For example type "6ish" and hit space. It'll autocorrect to "fish." I vaguely remember that prior to Mavericks I can just hit cmd+z to undo the auto correct and move on but try it now in Mavericks and it'll just undo the entire text entry. If you wait long enough then you can get Mavericks to just undo the autocorrect, but now try hitting space again and it'll autocorrect right back and there's nothing you can do to make it stop.

It should be '6-ish'

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Is there any converter/way to get Keynote 5.3 to open Keynote 6 documents?

I have a client that can't upgrade to Mavericks yet due to a bunch of scientific third-party software that will break once they do. However someone sent them a Keynote 6 document that is obviously not opening. Are they just hosed?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ask the person who sent it to open Keynote 6 and use File > Export To > Keynote '09

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

japtor posted:

No clue about Pocket but for Instapaper note that you need a paid account. I use it for Feedly and it's alright, I'm fine enough with it that I'm not going to bother looking for another app at least.

snakeater posted:

Neurophonic posted:

Exactly my experience, bar a few minor rendering bugs using YouTube5 to convert embedded videos to HTML5, the Feedly web page works better for me on most usage than ReadKit. I do really miss switching to Readability view for the full feed in the article though.
Thanks for the advice all. I actually did end up getting it, for my workflow at least it suits me pretty well so far :)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

carry on then posted:

Ask the person who sent it to open Keynote 6 and use File > Export To > Keynote '09

Thanks!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
If anyone runs across a fix for Chrome's refusal to scroll with anything but the up and down keys, shout it out because holy christ this is annoying. And no, setting scrollbars to show always doesn't fix it. What I'm reading is it's not a Mac problem, it's a Chrome problem.

Goddamnit, I finally gave up on Chrome and switched to Firefox: same drat problem, mouse scrolling just dies after a few minutes. Used to be this was a problem that happened every 3-4 days - today it's happened half a dozen times, and only in these two apps. If I restart the browser that fixes it, but only temporarily. And it's not just a bad mouse or a dead battery - when it goes, my trackpad scrolling goes with it.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 7, 2013

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Undoing the autocorrect is absolutely infuriating and I hope they address it in a point release.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Magic Mango posted:

Undoing the autocorrect is absolutely infuriating and I hope they address it in a point release.

In all honesty it does a lot of good. The only problems are somewhat edge cases like my problem above, and maybe names that Mavericks thinks are misspelled.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
So I'm getting a new Mac this weekend, and I use Boot Camp a lot. Will I need to do anything to de-authorize my current computer's Windows installation or anything to avoid some alarm going off in a Microsoft bunker when I set up my new machine's Boot Camp partition, or can I just go ahead and set it up without doing anything first?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Back from lunch and system is hard locked. So far not liking this new Mavericks upgrade much.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Boris Galerkin posted:

In all honesty it does a lot of good. The only problems are somewhat edge cases like my problem above, and maybe names that Mavericks thinks are misspelled.

Oh yeah, when it works it's fantastic, but the very few times it doesn't, it feels like you have to fight it to just get what you actually bloody typed to appear and remain on-screen.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Rincewind posted:

So I'm getting a new Mac this weekend, and I use Boot Camp a lot. Will I need to do anything to de-authorize my current computer's Windows installation or anything to avoid some alarm going off in a Microsoft bunker when I set up my new machine's Boot Camp partition, or can I just go ahead and set it up without doing anything first?
I assume you are going to use the same product key? If you deactivate it on the old installation you'll have a better shot at a hassle-free activation on the new one. Even then, you may still need to go through the automated phone system.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's an update for Mail:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/07/apple-releases-mail-update-for-mavericks-to-address-gmail-issues/

quote:

Mail Update for Mavericks includes improvements to general stability and compatibility with Gmail, including the following:

- Fixes an issue that prevents deleting, moving, and archiving messages for users with custom Gmail settings
- Addresses an issue that may cause unread counts to be inaccurate
- Includes additional fixes that improve the compatibility and stability of Mail

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jackpot posted:

If anyone runs across a fix for Chrome's refusal to scroll with anything but the up and down keys, shout it out because holy christ this is annoying. And no, setting scrollbars to show always doesn't fix it. What I'm reading is it's not a Mac problem, it's a Chrome problem.

Goddamnit, I finally gave up on Chrome and switched to Firefox: same drat problem, mouse scrolling just dies after a few minutes. Used to be this was a problem that happened every 3-4 days - today it's happened half a dozen times, and only in these two apps. If I restart the browser that fixes it, but only temporarily. And it's not just a bad mouse or a dead battery - when it goes, my trackpad scrolling goes with it.
I had this problem a while back, ended up being a version of BetterTouchTool in my case. If you're using it (or some other mouse thing) check for updates I guess.
Supposedly won't update if you're on the first GM seed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

Supposedly won't update if you're on the first GM seed.
Nothing is going to update correctly if you're on the first GM seed. This was established a while ago.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nothing is going to update correctly if you're on the first GM seed. This was established a while ago.

poo poo, seriously? Does this mean I have no shot at a 10.9.1 update? I'm still on A598 with mostly no issues far, I was hoping not to have to reinstall every last piece of software again with 10.9.1 around the corner.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rpop posted:

poo poo, seriously? Does this mean I have no shot at a 10.9.1 update? I'm still on A598 with mostly no issues far, I was hoping not to have to reinstall every last piece of software again with 10.9.1 around the corner.
Why would you have to reinstall everything? Just run the Mavericks installation again over your current version and it'll update it just fine.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

For those of us who've only used Gmail on the web, how does it work with Mail? Does Mail support labels? In an IMAP, does Mail create an inbox file like a PST with all of the messages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Abel Wingnut posted:

For those of us who've only used Gmail on the web, how does it work with Mail? Does Mail support labels? In an IMAP, does Mail create an inbox file like a PST with all of the messages?

Poorly, in my experience. You should check out Airmail: http://airmailapp.com