Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vargatron posted:

Yes, that is correct. The line is basically "I was born a man, but I felt more comfortable as a woman".

And she only mentions it if you ask her about her unusual name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Cythereal posted:

And she only mentions it if you ask her about her unusual name.

which is a little ridiculous

it's a fantasy rpg, 90%+ of all the names are unusual

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Is there an edwina romance mod

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It is kind of affecting my immersion when I use my real first name for a player character instead of something more fantasy based.

:qq:MY IMMERSION:qq:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kujeger posted:

which is a little ridiculous

it's a fantasy rpg, 90%+ of all the names are unusual

Which is part of why I think the controversy is overblown. It's one innocuous and completely optional line of dialogue most people would never click on.

Dyna Soar posted:

Is there an edwina romance mod

Shockingly enough, not to my knowledge. I haven't kept up with the modding community since EE was released so one might have been made since then, though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vargatron posted:

It is kind of affecting my immersion when I use my real first name for a player character instead of something more fantasy based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phAOxT4UEzY

I think the transwoman in SoD was a very shallow attempt at representation (I saw at least one transperson on Beamdog's forums arguing that) but those criticisms were definitely in the minority. I am glad that Ed Greenwood stood up for the game, makes me feel better about the lame retcons of 5th Edition.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It's time for a bite of the muff and tumble.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wildtortilla posted:

It's looking like my F/C will be ending BG almost to 7/7 but I'm not sure if he'll actually get there. From the bit I've read BG2 starts you at level 7 if you roll a new character for it. I'm planning to play through SoD with my F/C, so what level will I start BG2 at? Will I be way over powered out of the starting gates from leveling in SoD?

I ended SoD with 435k xp, which in the case of an F/C would put you at 8/8 with a 217.5k split. Cleric levels at 225k and fighter levels at 250k so you'd be fairly close to 9/9.
And a fresh F/C in BG II would start at 6/6 with 45k in both jobs.
So maybe a little ahead of the curve. Especially since NPCs you recruit will start with bonus xp to catch them up.

Which brings up a question of mine: It seems like trying to do any kind of Dual-Class BG->ToB run could be disastrous if you do SoD since you'll start BG II with too much xp to easily catch up and there arn't enough easy XP opportunities to painlessly switch in SoD.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 22, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ChrisBTY posted:

I ended SoD with 435k xp, which in the case of an F/C would put you at 8/8 with a 217.5k split. Cleric levels at 225k and fighter levels at 250k so you'd be fairly close to 9/9.
So maybe a little ahead of the curve. Especially since NPCs you recruit will start with bonus xp to catch them up.

Which brings up a question of mine: It seems like trying to do any kind of Dual-Class BG->ToB run could be disastrous if you do SoD since you'll start BG II with too much xp to easily catch up and there arn't enough easy XP opportunities to painlessly switch in SoD.

Were you thinking of a specific dual class combo? Holding onto the first class too long for tiny long-term gains is the biggest mistake for dual classing, and there's not a lot of first classes I would recommend dualling so late you don't recover your first class before leaving BG1.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

ChrisBTY posted:

Switch at level 7 because doing anything else in basically insane. Switching at 9 it takes wayyyyy too long to get your mage levels or whatever.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vargatron posted:

dennis, spawn of bhaal

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

There's a quest giver NPC called Dave in Final Fantasy XV and it bothers me SO MUCH. Like the playable characters all have Latin names, other characters you interact with mostly have names that are either from older FF games or sound fantastic enough, and then there's... Dave. loving Dave.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mzbundifund posted:

Were you thinking of a specific dual class combo? Holding onto the first class too long for tiny long-term gains is the biggest mistake for dual classing, and there's not a lot of first classes I would recommend dualling so late you don't recover your first class before leaving BG1.

Just a hypothethical. The idea of say, a Berserker/Mage where you play through BG 1 as Berserker, switch to Mage, get a bunch of XP from scrolls and then you're ready for the ball.
Add SoD to that though, and suddenly it gets harder. Either your Berserker's levels are going to get almost unmanageable or you dual to mage and spend the whole game trying not to get killed as a low level mage as the party does all the work for you because scroll scribing doesn't give much xp in SoD and there arn't as many ways to get quest xp without fighting.

Edit: in the case of Fighter/Mage it's not quite that bad. Fighter hits level 9 at 250k. Mage hits level 10 at 250k. You won't hit fighter level 10 in SoD so you can just go through Irenicus's dungeon as a Berserker (or just Dual Class there and hide in a corner while the others do all the work. At that point you need 250 spell levels worth of scrolls to hit level 10 if you're alone in the party. You can mitigate this even further by doing some of the easily soloable quests in SoA. I think it's reasonable, the biggest downside is a lot of wasted XP in SoD.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 22, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you're doing a Fighter dual from the very start of the series, there's little reason not to switch at level 7. 9 is preferred for BG2 because you gain a few nice advantages (better HP and Thac0, one more use of Berserk or Kai) while basically giving up nothing in return, but that's obviously not the case in a trilogy run.

Fighter -> Cleric is the exception since you can't reach 7/8 under the BG1 experience cap, but that combo works better as a multi anyway.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So wait, you don't want top do a F/M dual at 9 if you plan on doing SoD?

If I'm going BG1 > SoD > BG2 > ToB, should I switch at 7 or 9? Ahhhhh.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Dual classing was a mistake.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Rookersh posted:

You reach fighter level 9 at 250,000 exp, which is not very far into SoD. You'll spend the entirety of SoD as a low level mage. You can still abuse wands but yeah, it'll be rough.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Dual at 7. Early in the game is the least painful time to reduce yourself to low level, in the midgame you're infinitely more powerful as a 7/8 F/M than you are as a level 4 mage still waiting to hit level 10, and late in the game it's easy to stack offense to the point where you'll be overkilling everything and the paltry extra points of THACO you missed out on won't matter a bit.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Rookersh posted:

Just always switch at 7, it's just so much less hassle. The only time you want to switch at 9 is when you are starting from BG2. You can switch earlier maybe with thief->mage but gnome thief/ill is just so much better there is no reason to do it except with imoen, I switch her at 6 to get enough skillpoints for traps and locks.

Washout fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 23, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Veib posted:

There's a quest giver NPC called Dave in Final Fantasy XV and it bothers me SO MUCH. Like the playable characters all have Latin names, other characters you interact with mostly have names that are either from older FF games or sound fantastic enough, and then there's... Dave. loving Dave.

The questgivers having normal names is one of my favorite parts

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Eyy, I'm Dino, the New Yorker who sits on a bench. Badabing badaboom

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Arivia posted:

Saying the EEs have problems is fine. That guy you quoted flipped his lid in the usual idiot gamer style over a trans character in Siege of Dragonspear and Minsc calling reactionaries out for being idiots.

Uh, this is not true at all.

If you can find anything I said in my posts to that effect, go ahead and quote it below.

I was worried about buying PST:EE because I'd read reviews of BG:EE and BG2:EE saying from people saying the remasters were buggy and/or lazy, which was making me hesitant to buy PST:EE. It's possible those reviews came from people with an axe to grind but for all I know they might still be valid.

Looks like some people read into that a bit too much?

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 23, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Soul Reaver posted:

Uh, this is not true at all.

If you can find anything I said in my posts to that effect, go ahead and quote it below.

I was worried about buying PST:EE because I'd read reviews of BG:EE and BG2:EE saying from people saying the remasters were buggy and/or lazy, which was making me hesitant to buy PST:EE. It's possible those reviews came from people with an axe to grind but for all I know they might still be valid.

Looks like some people read into that a bit too much?

Nah man you went pretty over the top bitching iirc. My red title on the other hand is wholeheartedly deserved. I won't play miniatures games unless both sides are fielding totally painted forces. Then again I don't play anymore.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Washout posted:

Nah man you went pretty over the top bitching iirc. My red title on the other hand is wholeheartedly deserved. I won't play miniatures games unless both sides are fielding totally painted forces. Then again I don't play anymore.

I'd heard bad things about the remasters - probably from that minority of very vocal reviewers - so I was listing what I'd heard and wanted to know if it was overblown or not. I was genuinely concerned that the quality of what was added to the games was not good based on some of the reviews I read. Considering the fact that the games apparently were buggy as hell for quite some time after release I think some of the complaints were justified.

I actually purchased PST:EE as well as BG:EE and BG2:EE after people in this thread said it was now all fine and good, so I genuinely did want people's opinions.

I'm not that annoyed about getting a (pretty cool) avatar and red text, but I am annoyed if people think I'm one of 'those guys' that gets pissed off at a trans character in a videogame.

(Also I only painted a couple of models of my Warhammer army because I was bad at painting and didn't want to ruin them)

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 23, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Berserker 7 / Druid 9 is a really fun dual in BG1. Grandmastery, level 5 Druid spells, and pretty much all the benefits of a single-class Berserker. If only it wasn't such a pain to roll the necessary stats for it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'll never understand why you'd legit roll for stats when the game allows unlimited rerolls anyway.

Suspicious posted:

You reach fighter level 9 at 250,000 exp, which is not very far into SoD. You'll spend the entirety of SoD as a low level mage. You can still abuse wands but yeah, it'll be rough.
You end up at Fighter 9/Mage 10 when you hit the cap, actually. But you don't spend an incredibly long time at the cap; iirc I reached it in the second to last major dungeon. And I was playing with Insane difficulty spawns, so unless they scale XP rewards to account for the number of spawns people that don't play at that difficulty will hit the cap even later.
So, yeah, I wouldn't do it.

And anyway,

Decrepus posted:

Dual classing was a mistake.
Fighter/Illusionist multi all day.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Agreed, I haven't dual classed in years. It's too much of a pain even when you know the games well.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Don't dual class. It's a completely retarded system.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, I still think the Berserker/Mage is the strongest character option in the game, and dualing over at 250k in SoA isn't that bad all things considered. And I don't really remember the SoD XP curve, so no idea how painful dualing early on in that is. Maybe it's okay, too.
But it's still too annoying to do for me anymore, especially since multi-classing works so well compared to dual-classing.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure that any immunity you get from Berserk can be compensated for with a protection spell e.g. where it's an on-hit effect (PFMW/PFNW/Mirror Image) or where it's a spell cast spell immunity e.g. Imprisonment = SI: Abjuration.

Not quite as easy as just throwing on berserk but it works well.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

I'm pretty sure that any immunity you get from Berserk can be compensated for with a protection spell e.g. where it's an on-hit effect (PFMW/PFNW/Mirror Image) or where it's a spell cast spell immunity e.g. Imprisonment = SI: Abjuration.

Not quite as easy as just throwing on berserk but it works well.

i'd rather not waste spell slots

also leveling as a berserker is super easy

Washout posted:

my soldiers just escaped from the black tar mines thats why theyre jet black

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

When a Berserker uses berserk their movement speed should be reduced by 50% to make them more bear-like.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Decrepus posted:

When a Berserker uses berserk their movement speed should be reduced by 50% to make them more bear-like.

bears are pretty fast tho

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've never bothered to dual-class as I just cannot bring myself to make a character useless for an extended period of time. I played a lot of 2nd edition D&D and everyone in my circle thought that it was utter pigshit. Multi-classing with nonhumans wasn't as bad and, given how exp per level grows in 2nd edition I think that it is better than vanilla (no prestige classes) 3rd edition, frankly.

Just anecdotally, the best character I ever played in 2nd edition was a svirfneblin (deep gnome) illusionist/thief. When he was level 7/9 I asked the DM if I could stop leveling as a thief as there really wasn't anything to look forward to for thieves as they reached high levels. He agreed, and that character ended up going up to level 28 as an illusionist and became the Faerunian demi-god of Illusion after stealing from Cyric who murdered Leira and took it for himself. Great way to retire a great character.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Just started a game last night, the EE's actually feel like enhanced editions now! When I tried them the first time, it was like playing a shittily modded version.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
In case anyone was unaware, Gibberings Three has consolidated their Tweak packs into a single mod for all Infinity Engine games, including the Enhanced Editions. There are a lot of new and updated tweaks, too. Cool poo poo like Give every class four weapon slots.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=90

e. The last option is the best - Don't Auto-Assign Advanced AI Scripting to Party

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 25, 2017

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

How many armor spells have I wasted with the advanced ai...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

flashman posted:

How many armor spells have I wasted with the advanced ai...

:same:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
If anyone doesn't have the EEs you can get BG1, SoD, and BG2 for the price of just one at Bundlestars right now. Steam keys.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/baldurs-gate-the-complete-saga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a step-by-step, lead-me-around-by-the-nose guide to Pool of Radiance (or any of the other Gold Box games, really) so that I can follow it along and complete the games without really thinking too hard about it? I just bought the series off of GOG.