Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What’s the fake JR barbecue sauce called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Gaz-L posted:

No, as in there's a fake podcast about your character by a fake commentator that is obviously supposed to be JR. I assume they didn't want to pay for the Ross Report name or pay JR to do the audio if he's not doing commentary for the rest of the game?

is it Ed Ferrara

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JaimsVanDerBeek/status/1048408582083960834

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I feel like this career mode, hell this game, is more aware of the realities of the industry. You get screwed out of your WWE shot to make NXT, start having a good career on the indies, and WWE isn't presented as the be-all-end-all of wrestling.

I mean your character's still living in his lovely broken down van, your mentor attempted to torpedo your career and presumably annihilated his own fed forever, and you only get into WWE because Kurt Angle and Daniel Bryan are willing to gently caress with Triple H but it's progress!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Finally completed enough edits in FPWW to finish that poster I've been poking at for ages. Another half dozen or so and I'll have a decent stable come Fire Promoter.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EOm6Bb947c

Jhon Cena

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yikes (yukes). Given Cena’s schedule last year I wouldn’t be surprised if “record for 2K” never broke the top 5 things to be done at any given time.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good to see Voice Three from SvR '07 is still getting work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yikes (yukes). Given Cena’s schedule last year I wouldn’t be surprised if “record for 2K” never broke the top 5 things to be done at any given time.

It's also just as likely that he did the voice work and Yuke's hosed up and left the temp track in the finished game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The MyCareer this year looks pretty good. Half of the improvement is not making you run slowly through backstage over and over. There’s also no grind, everything is storyline related, and there’s some minor branching involved

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Watching a MyCareer playthrough on YouTube, it looks pretty good even if it's a bit silly. They're definitely improving on all of the stuff surrounding the game. It has the awful monetization from NBA 2K, though. It's a shame the actual game itself is still not great, but maybe by the PlayStation 5 we'll get our first all around solid wrestilng game before they tear it all up for the new consoles.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spongeh posted:

Watching a MyCareer playthrough on YouTube, it looks pretty good even if it's a bit silly. They're definitely improving on all of the stuff surrounding the game. It has the awful monetization from NBA 2K, though. It's a shame the actual game itself is still not great, but maybe by the PlayStation 5 we'll get our first all around solid wrestilng game before they tear it all up for the new consoles.

As long as 2K continues to publish them, you won't, since they'll just keep killing it via microtransactions.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Finally completed enough edits in FPWW to finish that poster I've been poking at for ages. Another half dozen or so and I'll have a decent stable come Fire Promoter.

That’s badass. I can’t wait for Promoter so I can take all these fictional CAWs I’ve been downloading and assigning into stables and do something interesting with them.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The most unrealistic aspect of Yakuza 6 is implying anyone would want to torture my beautiful sweet tender chicken Okada.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think I like the way damage carries over in tournaments. Too often there’s been a case where someone has an easy first round match and just steamrolls the rest of the competition.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqH-iya0n94

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don’t think I like the way damage carries over in tournaments. Too often there’s been a case where someone has an easy first round match and just steamrolls the rest of the competition.

This, and the pacing ends up working the opposite of real-life tournaments. The opening matches are generally the longest, and the final ends up being short.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You know, an entire weekend of playing 2k19 has convinced me that it's basically the biggest improvement to the franchise that I can remember.

The story mode or some such is basically the most important thing in these games and MyCareer's story is engaging me on par with HCTP.

It hits every modern day note. The indies actually being a thing, it being possible to make a name for yourself on them, Japan being a big deal (and AJ Styles and Nakamura having big matches in "the Dome" before). They present the action as being real (backstage, wrestlers interact with you like they're the characters and not people portraying said characters). But fundamentally the whole story feels like a work (this being a wrestling video game that's not a bad thing) where you're Triple H's Next Big Thing and being given a story designed to rocket up the card straight to main event by feuding directly with him.

But it has some fun things that remind me of things like forming a stable in HCTP, notably where, after being screwed out of a shot at the IC title your character just decides "gently caress it, I'll make my own championship, with blackjack! And hookers!" The one thing that scratches my head about that is everyone seems to immediately forget that you've not really created an actual legitimate title but just bascially created your own Million Dollar Championship and you get forced to choose, after righting the previous wrong, which title you'd rather keep, the IC title or your own custom title.

The only other complaints I'd have is basically these:
A) You don't spend any time in NXT, technically. I'd like the chance to compete for the NXT Title and stuff and spend some time down there just so it feels like I'm doing the real climb up the ladder. In story it makes sense since Triple H is Mortal Enemy #1 to you but still... they find some shenanigans to get you into WWE, there's no reason Regal couldn't be your defender or something.
B) You can't use any of the new arenas (High School Gym, High School Parking Lot, Japan Hall (Kōrakuen Hall, people have said), Japan Dome (explicitly the Tokyo Dome)) in Create-An-Arena, so no picture-perfect NJPW creations. You can use them in Universe but they'll just straight up have WWE branding.
C) It still feels like Reversals are the Most Important Thing. Without them you'll just get beaten up until you can get one, and if your opponent has them you'll be hesitant about using signatures or finishers because the AI seems very competent at using them against you. So far in MyCareer I've still only had two reversals and most opponents I've been facing have 3 or 4 (even loving Curtis Hawkins, the biggest jobber in WWE, has 3).

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Sky Shadowing posted:

B) You can't use any of the new arenas (High School Gym, High School Parking Lot, Japan Hall (Kōrakuen Hall, people have said), Japan Dome (explicitly the Tokyo Dome)) in Create-An-Arena, so no picture-perfect NJPW creations. You can use them in Universe but they'll just straight up have WWE branding.

New Japan more like Who Japan amirite?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Still not buying it. 2k28 sits on my homescreen as a stark reminder of 2kWWE's lovely games and awful rushed development.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Reversals are a little too important (you end up relying on strikes that don’t stun you on reverse) but they do seem to have gotten a handle on what made last year’s game such a drag. Aside from the overt NBA JAM-y additions they cut out all the fat from the MyCareer so that it’s no better or worse than any other 2K game (probably a little better due to it being an obvious fan project). It’s all very tongue in cheek and takes the whole wrestling enterprise as seriously as it ought to. They ally your character just about every worker NJPW employed in the past, so they know their audience at least.

If you like the Tower of Power mode or whatever it’s called (actually pretty fun when it stacks the deck against you), you’re never really lacking for all the currency types and they had the good sense to make everything you unlock available to every character you introduce to the modes. There are some balance issues with the “class” progression (reversals are scarce as mentioned, and unless you’re a technician you’ll suck pretty hard at submissions) but if you like RPG lite fare it gives you all sorts of numbers to push up bit by bit.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
At the end of the story line where you win your first championship belt on Raw, does anything change depending on what choice you make?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

super macho dude posted:

Still not buying it. 2k28 sits on my homescreen as a stark reminder of 2kWWE's lovely games and awful rushed development.
i know this is a simple typo but it’ll be v quotable in 10 years

lol the forums will be long dead then

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Taintrunner posted:

That’s badass. I can’t wait for Promoter so I can take all these fictional CAWs I’ve been downloading and assigning into stables and do something interesting with them.

Thanks. I am pretty happy with my progress so far, though a number of them I really need to revisit to improve their logic based on what I've learned in the process of making them. I think at this point what I'm mostly missing is a few tag teams for variety, all of those guys are basically singles wrestlers, though I'm toying with throwing together Steele and Reynolds together as a tag team. Coming up with ideas is a bit hard though, I'm not afraid to get a bit cliche, but I at least want to be somewhat original (aside from Steele being somewhat of a Sgt. Slaughter ripoff, but he's also my take on a younger version of one of the default SWA wrestlers).

I put together an album of everyone's outfits so far since I'm getting ready to do a writeup on the FPWW forum. Looking at it, I guess I was being overly harsh on myself with my earlier comment about their looks.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Rest in Peace, Sean Brogan

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yes, I've thought up brief backgrounds for most of these guys. :v:

Quick Hank
Nickname: Irish Lightning
Finisher: Backflip DDT (Destino)

Hank Brogan first made a name for himself alongside his older brother, Sean Brogan on the British wrestling scene. However the brotherly tag-team came to an end in March, 1982 when Sean Brogan was killed in a drunk driving incident. Swearing sobriety, Hank left the UK behind and joined PCW in late ‘82, where his charm and fast-paced aggression has earned the Junior Heavyweight a good number of fans. Despite his frequently heelish fighting style and past clashes with Skyhawk, Hank has recently been seen more as a face due to his ongoing feud with fellow Junior Travis Dawson. A feud which started when Hank flew into a rage during a joint promo where Travis made a number of whiskey related jokes about his late brother.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Matt Hardy sent me back in time to wrestle Bret Hart after heavily implying that I was the reincarnation of a USS Indianapolis casualty so yeah I think the HCTP spirit is back

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 8, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently my Adam Page lookalike is too scrawny to lift Baron Corbin, because he's a mere 230lbs.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I get that the Million Dollar Tower is supposed to be hard but this just takes the cake in terms of "everything working against you" (taken from nL's stream tonight)

https://clips.twitch.tv/ClearDifferentApeJebaited

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
The million dollar contest is so unbelievably scummy.

It went live a day before most people will get the game. The people playing early have already bought in and are good at the game. It's not allowed on PC because it relies on an achievement that could be cheatengined. It looks absolutely miserable and based 33% on luck, 33% AI cheese, and 34% also AI cheese.

The only way this ends up worth it is if Denker, Jawnny, and Htial have a promo battle on Raw.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Angry_Ed posted:

I get that the Million Dollar Tower is supposed to be hard but this just takes the cake in terms of "everything working against you" (taken from nL's stream tonight)

https://clips.twitch.tv/ClearDifferentApeJebaited

I'm the referee tangled in the ropes

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The hardest tower of power match by a mile that I’ve run into was against Scott Dawson in a cage match. He starts with a finisher, gains momentum extremely quick, and the button mashing submission system is so unbalanced / the counter system for ground grapples so sensitive that he kills you dead in under 5 minutes. I ended up just cheesing him with ground kicks and leg sweeps to drain his reversals.

There have been some fun / ridiculous stipulations, though. Like the Benny Hill mode or the one that reverses D-pad and left joystick directionality.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I've heard the game is massively improved from the last 2 games.

Confirm or deny

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

From my short time with it I’d confirm. I have seen a visual bug or two (put a cape on a character for his entrance and it’s turned around like a giant velour bib) but nothing that affects gameplay. They got Elimination Chambers working again, which is nice, and if you’re not into universe or the showcase mode, the arcade bits are pretty fun and fresh, at least so far.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Commentary is dramatically improved on entrances, at least. It gets repetitive hearing Graves light into Byron for going "Hallelujah" on Bobby Roode's entrance again but usually you have enough superstars that it stays fresh and true to the commenators. Like Graves going full lust mode over Mandy Rose. They definitely took an NBA 2K approach to the commentary because the new stuff is really really good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You can tell they�re on the ball this year because Undertaker�s 2002 �You�re Gonna Pay� theme is available right from the start and the loop includes the most iconic lyric in sports entertainment history

E: oh cool the app doesn’t know how to handle punctuation now?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

can you put custom music in the pc version of 2k19? if not i'm going to kick an assholes rear end

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Cavauro posted:

can you put custom music in the pc version of 2k19? if not i'm going to kick an assholes rear end

Out of the box? Probably not. Give it a couple weeks I'm sure someone will add it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cavauro posted:

Are you bad enough of an rear end to kick an rear end in a top hat's rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don’t think it was figured out in previous iterations (or at least, I don’t think an easy method was devised) so I don’t expect that to change.

Say what you will about fire pro but it’s forever unclear what the disposition of badasses toward assholes is in its world, and it’s honestly a big reason why it will never escape its niche