Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Holy poo poo s201 is still in there? It is a terrible law that I thought they repealed over a decade ago.

quote:

201 Infecting with disease
(1) Every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years who, wilfully and without lawful justification or excuse, causes or produces in any other person any disease or sickness.
If you know you've got the flu and you show up to work anyway then give three people the flu, you can go to loving prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Ok then, hypothetically all dumb or easily manipulated laws are removed and only actual serious rape murder women bashing child abuse etc laws were left?

Or is it simply the idea that a maximum sentence can be imposed without contextual arguments being made available?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

BloodRed posted:

Or is it simply the idea that a maximum sentence can be imposed without contextual arguments being made available?

It is unironically this. Contextual arguments are important.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BloodRed posted:

Ok then, hypothetically all dumb or easily manipulated laws are removed and only actual serious rape murder women bashing child abuse etc laws were left?

yep.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

BloodRed posted:

Yes, because if you read the spinoff article I linked to you, you'd see that someone received the maximum 7 year indecent assault sentence for grabbing a female corrections officer's butt. While he's clearly a dickhead, a 7 year sentence for minor indecent assault is insane and does not in any way serve to rehabilitate offenders.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

BloodRed posted:

If you have raped three people, you are going to jail anyway. This isn't the US -- our judges are career legal professionals, the best of the best. The NZ legal system is a marvel in that it actually bloody works. Even if you left only the most heinous crimes in your proposed Three Strikes setup, that would make the law merely useless, instead of actively counterproductive.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
like, it's not as if judges were just letting pedos off 8 years ago???

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

like, it's not as if judges were just letting pedos off 8 years ago???

*in extremely Seymour voice* Or were they?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I forget, what happened to the Roast busters again?

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Alright I personally don't agree but I def. can see the other pov.

Only time will tell

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I gotta take a minute to be like, sincere thanks to everybody for having a fairly civil discussion about a really difficult topic.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

I forget, what happened to the Roast busters again?

That was poo poo police, not poo poo judges.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah that case never got put in front of a judge. Neither did Todd Barclay.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BloodRed posted:

I'm just saying it was a tool that could be used to get very bad dudes off the street and into a support system (they can choose to rehabilitate or not...) that is not being replaced by anything else.
It's explicitly not, because the only time it could ever come into effect is when someone is in custody staring a judge in a courtroom. It doesn't offer the legal system any additional power over what they already had - it in fact degrades the legal system's ability to serve justice by removing its discretion.

BloodRed posted:

And all I'm saying is that it has yet to be proven if our justice system now has the ability to lower recidivism without the three strikes being available as additional punishment.
Last year Corrections' excuse for failing their reduction target was that the police were increasingly diverting minor offenders away from the justice system and only leaving "the serious ones" to face reoffending charges - almost as if they were actively trying to avoid people going to court for minor offenses that would result in an unjust sentence. A Salvation Army-sponsored report on recidivism in the same year found that "there is little evidence of any change in overall reoffending/reimprisonment rates on release from prison over the past decade".
The 12-month rate in 2006 was 27.7%, in 2015 it was 28.1%. Statistically, Three Strikes has failed to reduce recidivism. If anything it's made it worse if Corrections are to be believed that their failure to lower the rate below what it already was is because police are declining to put minor reoffenders before the court.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
So the three strikes law just means that the cops do the judges' job for them. Which means the system is fundamentally unsound.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Shithouse Dave posted:

I had to go check out what the other 32 qualifying offences are.

So obviously there are some very bad things in there that do deserve serious jail time, but there are also some potentially lesser crimes, say, throwing a punch in a pub, or having a 17 year old girlfriend while being 18.
The three strikes rule is dumb as gently caress and I'm glad it's gone, but the age of consent in New Zealand is 16. I will be interested if you can show me a case of a 16 year old in New Zealand convicted of having a 15 year old girlfriend.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's almost as if the keys to reducing recidivism are things beyond the justice system.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

slinkimalinki posted:

The three strikes rule is dumb as gently caress and I'm glad it's gone, but the age of consent in New Zealand is 16. I will be interested if you can show me a case of a 16 year old in New Zealand convicted of having a 15 year old girlfriend.

The bestiality one would be amusing, certainly.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

slinkimalinki posted:

I can't believe I forgot this fact. I spend too much time on the internet.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Judith Collins is back on National's front bench and has got the transport portfolio. I guess she's done her time in the poo poo bin and they are picking transport as one of the areas they're going to fight hard on?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Me Bill English durrr what majority meaning???

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11939774

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

Judith Collins is back on National's front bench and has got the transport portfolio. I guess she's done her time in the poo poo bin and they are picking transport as one of the areas they're going to fight hard on?

shes a-grade milf-at-work so all g

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Current employment and construction figures are a benchmark.

I guess Labour now have 3 years to get the unemployment level below 4.6%, a level National have finally gotten it back down to after they took office, and to get more than 6.3 dwellings per 1,000 residents consented a year - another statistic that has only just this year risen back to its 2007 level. So there you go Labour, your official benchmarks for success are your historical successes.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Billy boy there don’t do numbers so good. He’s sounding more and more like trump only this time he is the loser.

What a bunch of disingenuous fuckers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

We're going to be a positive opposition

~vows to be as obstructionist as possible~

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

The split could have been 75/25 and I feel confident in saying the response would be roughly the same. None of these assholes ever have a single word to say in good faith.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Bill English looked to the shitshow that is the Republican party and said "yes, this is a political philosophy we want to emulate".

Labour can respond by passing legislation under urgency, right? National grinding the select committee process to a halt after abusing urgency for years is loving hilarious.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 2, 2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i heard they were gonna pass paid parental leave under urgency

https://twitter.com/NZNationalParty/status/911558653022310401

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The only way a select committee has any power whatsoever is if they are 100% in agreement that a change to the law needs to be made. If they are in less-than-total agreement, all they can do is making nonbinding recommendations. Unless Labour somehow allow National to totally stack all the select committees, there's no way they can do anything they're saying there.

I AM BILL ENGLISH, HEAR THE FORCE OF MY NONBINDING RECOMMENDATIONS

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gogo racist Australia!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-41874826

Jacinda offers to take the current problem of the marooned men off their hands but turned it down because???

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Because if they have NZ citizenship or residence then they can go to Australia.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OK, I will give them that as a logically racist reason.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can someone please make a meme of the "does he look like a bitch" / "say 'what' again" bit from pulp fiction but instead it's Jacinda Ardern/Bill English and "minority government"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Also national have already shown what shitgeads they're going to be in opposition. Because Jacinda, David Parker and Winston are away at APEC, they didn't have the votes to elect Mallard as speaker. National threatened to block it so they could cut a deal to go back to 108 select committee seats. Talk about playing loving hardball

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Shitheads or not the government really should have known how many MPs it had.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
No, fair enough on them. They saw an opportunity and pounced.

It's the loving government which is to blame for this stuff up. God dammit.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, that one is probably on Hipkins. It is like when Labour and NZ First nearly got Mallard d elected speaker last term. Only foiled because someone in National noticed a lot of opposition MOs hanging around and they stalled until they could get their people back.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am not looking forward to Republican style obstructionism seeing National has imported just about everything else about them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

there isn't that much they can do without a majority in the House, this isn't the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know, but they will drat well try to import it like the BS moral majority poo poo etc.

• Locked thread