Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Star Man posted:

Only for that Democratic president to be blamed for not making everything better overnight and we'll be back to Republican armageddon before you can say "neoliberal."

It's kind of clever the way the Republicans are aligning the boom-bust cycle so they get the booms and Democrats get the busts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It never fails to surprise me that, for all the high-tech approaches you could theoretically take, it is still sufficient to phish folks for credentials. It really feels like a sufficiently large organization is powerless again failing against that sort of thing because you are bound to have at least one idiot who takes the bait and then it's all over.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Waiting for Glenn Greenwald to tell us everyone's jumping at Russian shadows again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The sad fact is that if unemployment stays where it, the economy stays where it is, and we don't have a major war then most likely Trump will be re-elected.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It never fails to surprise me that, for all the high-tech approaches you could theoretically take, it is still sufficient to phish folks for credentials. It really feels like a sufficiently large organization is powerless again failing against that sort of thing because you are bound to have at least one idiot who takes the bait and then it's all over.

Hardware 2 factor tokens are about the only defense.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/871813606735659008
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/871812760534999040

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Humans are the weakest part of a security system worth being called a security system.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:lol:

https://twitter.com/k_mcq/status/871770296667299841

WeSearchr is run by Chuck C. Johnson,
ol floor shitter

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xae posted:

Humans are the weakest part of a security system worth being called a security system.

I mean 'Hey man, I lost my keys, can you let me in' will always be a good move.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hollismason posted:

The sad fact is that if unemployment stays where it, the economy stays where it is, and we don't have a major war then most likely Trump will be re-elected.

Good news! Trump will have a lot of difficulty with the "not having a major war" thing.

Oh, wait. That isn't good news.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I mean 'Hey man, I lost my keys, can you let me in' will always be a good move.

Or just beating a guy with a crowbar until he gives you the password.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hollismason posted:

How likely is it that the economy will remain where it is?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Require MFA for literally everything.

business hammocks posted:

How likely is it that the economy will remain where it is?

Pretty low. On average you see an economic contraction every 10-15 years. Even if it's not as big as the 2008 contraction, it is still more likely than not that we will have one.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

axeil posted:

Require MFA for literally everything.

After the way they ruined American literature? No thank you.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

There's more you can do in the form of dynamic passwording to where for most systems a user doesn't even need a password, or the one used for access to systems is not the same they know.

Add in 2FA, a good host FW, and proper DLP controls and much can be prevented.

The failing is not the idiot, rather the company that doesn't account for the idiot being an idiot.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Demon Of The Fall posted:

it was awesome when he hopped on the back of some random dude's scooter and they took off when he was being hounded by the press

That was a different soccer team owner

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

You can still phish for 2 factor tokens, you just have to be ready to immediately use the credential.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

WeSearchr is run by Chuck C. Johnson,
ol floor shitter

And he set up WeSearchr because GoFundMe banned the sort of legal defense fundraisers alt-righters and cops kept starting.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

There's more you can do in the form of dynamic passwording to where for most systems a user doesn't even need a password, or the one used for access to systems is not the same they know.

Add in 2FA, a good host FW, and proper DLP controls and much can be prevented.

The failing is not the idiot, rather the company that doesn't account for the idiot being an idiot.

Well it's not just that you need these good policies but then you need unilateral buy-in across whatever the entity is. Even the NSA knew better and still worked in lazy little hackarounds and backdoors and they got burned for it. There will always be people who are too lazy or demands that are too pressing to do things the proper way 100% of the time.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

Pretty low. On average you see an economic contraction every 10-15 years. Even if it's not as big as the 2008 contraction, it is still more likely than not that we will have one.

Quicker than that, possibly. The cycle on average is less than 5 years of expansion and right now we're in a record expansionary period - likely propelled by global factors

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
Sorry if this has been addressed in the last 10 pages or so already, but why DOES the US love Saudi Arabia so much? I know they gave big dinner boy the firmest of rear end-pattings during his Big Boy Adventuretime Trip, but why is the rest of the administration on board with this?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Despite having been a thing for literally decade(s) now, I can't believe they're still not more widespread.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I don't think he's done anything to suggest he's dumber than the average politico

He's not, I was focusing on the part of the post I quoted talking about how most world leaders have experience. Justin Trudeau was a Prime Minister's son, and was by no means a career politician prior to running for the leadership of the Liberal party.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

voltroon posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed in the last 10 pages or so already, but why DOES the US love Saudi Arabia so much? I know they gave big dinner boy the firmest of rear end-pattings during his Big Boy Adventuretime Trip, but why is the rest of the administration on board with this?

They have oil and hated the Soviets.

MeGutlessGypsy
Feb 26, 2011

pillsburysoldier posted:

What's Evergreen College and why to conservatives and Joe Rogan want to use it suddenly to say college is bad

Evergreen College or Evergreen State? If it's the latter, I suspect it has something to do with this case: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/05/30/escalating-debate-race-evergreen-state-students-demand-firing-professor .
Short version: A professor didn't want to participate in a controverted version of the tradition of "Day of Absence", and made comments about this. Some students got mad about this, calling the prof racist demanding him to be fired. Because the prof was white, this attracted a certain crowd to support him unsolicited.

MeGutlessGypsy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 5, 2017

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The only recent exception that springs to mind is Park Geun-Hye, she got the job mostly via nepotism (her father was president before her),

"president"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

voltroon posted:

1) They have oil
2) They were anti-communist
3) They are the largest regional power in the middle east and American foreign policy has generally been focused on maintaining stability in the region at all costs.
4) They are anti-Iran

Stability = No open conflict between states which = safe trade through sea/air and stability of energy prices.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

haveblue posted:

And he set up WeSearchr because GoFundMe banned the sort of legal defense fundraisers alt-righters and cops kept starting.

How the hell does that even work, can anyone really just start a crowdfunding platform(and due to like zero oversight skim like 99.999999 stuff?)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Boon posted:

Quicker than that, possibly. The cycle on average is less than 5 years of expansion and right now we're in a record expansionary period - likely propelled by global factors

This expansion has also been unusually slow by several metrics and that along with monetary policy in near permanent crisis mode may be dragging things out quite a bit. I don't think we're actually in records territory yet, though? The growth period during the 90s lasted around 10 years too.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Despite having been a thing for literally decade(s) now, I can't believe they're still not more widespread.

Companies refuse to spend money on extremely important IT security upgrades or the story of my career in E-Discovery.

"Why do you need a server with secure storage?"
"Because my laptop is filled to the brim with customer's personal data, detailed financial breakdowns about current or a future lawsuits and incriminating evidence that would cost companies billions of dollars if it gets lost or stolen"
"Yeah, but storage is expensive and you haven't lost your laptop yet..."

:suicide:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

At the company I work for, almost everyone has access to a lot of sensitive information on tens of millions of customers so not falling for phishing is a big deal, stressed all the time, we have to take biannual training and refreshers, etc because we're deathly afraid of being on the front page for being hacked.

They started phish-testing us 2 years ago by hiring outsiders to try to trick us into downloading something, going to their web site, etc and drat near half of the company failed on the first easy test, with intentionally bad english because they wanted to start with a good result before giving us harder tests. These days, I think about 10-15% of the dumbasses at work still get tricked and fail the damned tests.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

I liked the song but SA has conditioned me to be an abused puppy that keeps wanting to get the delicious kibble but every time I think the kibble is real someone runs out of nowhere and punts me across the room. I'm not sure believing posts is even possible anymore. Kinda like what must've happened to Covok and mcmagic and hope for the future.

*tries for the kibble anyway, just one more time, even though the video was posted almost a month ago by a Finnish band*

I like your good musics Oh precious katana.

I don't know what a kibble is, but thank you anyway.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

You can still phish for 2 factor tokens, you just have to be ready to immediately use the credential.

That may be true for password cyclers, but not for a good cryptographic challenge-response hardware key like a yubico.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oh precious katana posted:

I don't know what a kibble is, but thank you anyway.

Slang for pet food in the US.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Watching white supremacists eat poo poo never gets old. :allears:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rigel posted:

At the company I work for, almost everyone has access to a lot of sensitive information on tens of millions of customers so not falling for phishing is a big deal, stressed all the time, we have to take biannual training and refreshers, etc because we're deathly afraid of being on the front page for being hacked.

They started phish-testing us 2 years ago by hiring outsiders to try to trick us into downloading something, going to their web site, etc and drat near half of the company failed on the first easy test, with intentionally bad english because they wanted to start with a good result before giving us harder tests. These days, I think about 10-15% of the dumbasses at work still get tricked and fail the damned tests.

I work for a government agency and they do Phish-testing about once a month, with ridiculous things like "Due to theft from the break room Fridge only authorized users can use the refrigerator. Please click this link and input your credentials and password to secure your spot." and even though it happens once a month and they flag all the tests as "SUSPICIOUS EMAIL" we still have 15% or so people fail every month.

It's not even just clicking a link to fail; you have to click it, input your login and password, and then send it.

It is loving baffling.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Paradoxish posted:

This expansion has also been unusually slow by several metrics and that along with monetary policy in near permanent crisis mode may be dragging things out quite a bit. I don't think we're actually in records territory yet, though? The growth period during the 90s lasted around 10 years too.

Oops, you're correct. We're at 96 months now, behind only 120 (90s) and 105 (60s).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/871826367314358272
https://twitter.com/owillis/status/871826152410800139
https://twitter.com/BruceBartlett/status/871826768575045634

:lol:
https://twitter.com/politico/status/871823722235219968
https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/871827839104020481
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/871827052139360260

https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/871827024343691264
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/871828879731830784

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 5, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What's Luntz' deal anyway? He's the shithead behind most of the worst focus grouped garbage the GOP pushes, but he occasionally lights into someone in a ideologically correct way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

He doesn't eat his own dog food. He is an amoral shithead and he knows exactly what he is doing.

• Locked thread