Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
lovely picture, but I just brought this home today and I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

2013 SS, and it only has 9700 miles on it. Was sad to say goodbye to my 2001 Z28, but I think i'll manage life without her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Powershift posted:

I love car.

Yea that car ooooooowns

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yes it does, I love Mark IVs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea that car ooooooowns

It owns so hard. I have a tough time expressing in words the ownage that car does.

It really needs a sleeper built motor, though. Then again, it would probably pretzel the limp frame, but it would be worth it for a short, but glorious, time.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Every time I see a picture of that car, I hear this music from the 1992 computer game Star Control 2 playing in my head.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea that car ooooooowns

I'm not trying to be mean, but why? It's not fast, not really comfortable, no technology, will kill you in a crash, and gets horrible mileage. Is this just one of the memes this forum goes through were awful cars are so bad people lust over them (see: dumb station wagons).

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Picking it up tomorrow. 2001, 63k miles, 6 speed. Original owner and bone stock.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm not trying to be mean, but why? It's not fast, not really comfortable, no technology, will kill you in a crash, and gets horrible mileage. Is this just one of the memes this forum goes through were awful cars are so bad people lust over them (see: dumb station wagons).
This is such a cunty post.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Cage posted:

Whoa that's meta

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Cage posted:

I want to empty quote this post forever but I'll just get banned by the big buttsalt mod so I'll just post this instead 🌚

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Comrade Flynn, you drive a Lambo, and before that a GTR. Those are both certainly lust-worthy cars, but your perspective on what might make any other car desirable or cool is unfathomable. I suppose it's the same from where you are: the rest of us like cars that you can't understand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the hell is buttsalt?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

What the hell is buttsalt?

V:shobon:V

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Look what I came across today while out for a cruise and creeping out a few dealership lots.

The Bengabus is coming.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ExecuDork posted:

Comrade Flynn, you drive a Lambo, and before that a GTR. Those are both certainly lust-worthy cars, but your perspective on what might make any other car desirable or cool is unfathomable. I suppose it's the same from where you are: the rest of us like cars that you can't understand.

My presumption is that owning a car like that Continental is 100% looks and/or nostalgia.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Das Volk posted:

My presumption is that owning a car like that Continental is 100% looks and/or nostalgia.

And that's a good answer. Instead of HEH RICH GUY IS ASKING A QUESTION WHAT A oval office.

BTW my daily driver is a 2004 Solara. I just don't post pictures because it's boring.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's definitely about style, because you're right in that it won't handle for poo poo, get terrible gas mileage and not even have the decency to be fast. That said, if you've never driven an old school American couch car there's something relaxing and enjoyable about driving them that is just kind of hard to explain.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Post your own ride - Season Liberally With Buttsalt

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Post your own ride - Season Liberally With Buttsalt

I got gag gifted something called Butt Paste once. Jokes on them because it's awesome for itchy buttholes.

http://www.buttpaste.com/

Q_res posted:

It's definitely about style, because you're right in that it won't handle for poo poo, get terrible gas mileage and not even have the decency to be fast. That said, if you've never driven an old school American couch car there's something relaxing and enjoyable about driving them that is just kind of hard to explain.

It's been at least 20 years since I rode in a 70s Caddy. It was pretty nice, but this one was an absolute piece of poo poo and the headliner kept falling in our face. I could see one that's just a giant Laz-E-Boy on wheels being nice for around the town cruising.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I flew into a small airport once and we needed to get to a hotel so they let us borrow the "airport taxi" which was a big green 70s Caddy. I rode in the back and it was so smooth and wonderful. Nobody makes cars like that any more, and it's kind of sad.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

I got gag gifted something called Butt Paste once. Jokes on them because it's awesome for itchy buttholes.

http://www.buttpaste.com/

That's cream for diaper rash

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Comrade Flynn posted:

IDGI either.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Q_res posted:

if you've never driven an old school American couch car there's something relaxing and enjoyable about driving them that is just kind of hard to explain.

No there isn't, they're just terrible. It's like driving a tugboat while being heavily sedated. And this is said by a guy who's driven his friend's 1971 Thunderbird (same chassis as the Continental, including the suicide doors and big block V8) on a 200+ mile round trip and whose first car was 1970s American V8 iron.

The people who like them, like them for the same reason hipsters are fascinated by terrible things like fixed gear bikes and horn rimmed glasses.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

If you don't get it, words probably won't change that, but here it goes.

For starters, it's absolutely beautiful. It's style and presence is only partially conveyed in pictures. The last of the Era where the car was built from the designers pen and not second guessed by "accountants" or "engineers". The designer wanted the back windows to open. The engineers said there wasn't room because of the opera window, the accountants didn't think they should pay for 2 power window motors just for the little back windows. The designer won and there are power window motors to slide those bitches back a whole inch. Even if you don't find it conventionally attractive, you can't see any concessions made by the designer to cost or practicality.

It's also the antithesis of parking lot meet car culture. You don't go and park beside three others like it anywhere any time. There's no discussion around it about what civic mods are needed to beat it. No no bench racing, no price tag jealousy, no top gear words. You'll never see someone in a Tapout t-shirt valet one at the local steak house. You'll never see a nurburgring sticker on the back window of one. You'll never be embarrassed by what other owners of one make people think of you.

It's also so comfortable that it puts you in a different state of mind when driving. You can't be in a hurry driving it but you're never late. Everybody smiles at you, sometimes give you a thumbs up. You can't be angry in this car. You're unaffected by pot holes, speed bumps, non level manhole covers or railroad tracks. You don't have to brace or brake or swerve. Even if a shock can make it through the sidewall and the suspension travel, it won't make it through the seat. Nobody can slow you down, nobody expects you to speed up.

It's not valuable, not fragile and you can fix it with a hammer. You can park next to whoever whenever and not worry. You still find people who have never seen one and aren't afraid to ask about it.

Most importantly, it's hard to walk away from it without turning around for one more look. yeah it handles like a boat and gets the same fuel economy as your lambo, and comes from the dark era of the American automobile, but it does exactly what it was designed to do better than any other car really can. You can't stimulate the experience with any other style of car.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 1, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Comrade Flynn posted:

And that's a good answer. Instead of HEH RICH GUY IS ASKING A QUESTION WHAT A oval office.

BTW my daily driver is a 2004 Solara. I just don't post pictures because it's boring.
Didn't call you a oval office, you're a rad guy what with the make a wish and everything it was just a terrible post and I don't know why you're surprised. Don't know what you have against station wagons either, those are mostly awesome too especially pre-1990s.

Some people like old cars, some people like rare cars that you dont see everyday. Thats all you have to understand.

Cage fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 1, 2015

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

"It's stunning in every way." Also works.

Love that car.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You wouldn't understand why Powershift's car is bad because you're all poor.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mariana Horchata posted:

Look what I came across today while out for a cruise and creeping out a few dealership lots.

The Bengabus is coming.
Those are cool wheels. A good post.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Ozmiander posted:

as someone who's really pretty not-poor, that car's pretty ok

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Rationalizing car choices is the opposite of automotive insanity

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

The last of the Erawhere the car was built from the designers pen and not second guessed by "accountants" or "engineers". The designer wanted the back windows to open. The engineers said there wasn't room because of the opera window, the accountants didn't think they should pay for 2 power window motors just for the little back windows. The designer won and there are power window motors to slide those bitches back a whole inch. Even if you don't find it conventionally attractive, you can't see any concessions made by the designer to cost or practicality.

You just described an S-class merc or Rolls Royce or Bentley or any number of much better cars.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Cage posted:

Those are cool wheels. A good post.

they are Rotas :ssh: but yeah i like them a lot and they go well with the car for sure.

ok its actually on loan from my little bro since the head gasket finally went in my Mercedes W201, but after driving it for weeks now I might take him up on his offer to trade car for car. This things was originally picked up for ~$1500 with the intention of flipping it ~10yrs ago, soon after it was sold to a friend who was in love with the 95M I drove at the time and he used and abused it as a street parked city car in Cambridge for 5+yrs until the inevitable shortnose crank issue showed up. It then ended up sitting in the yard of said friend's parent's house for 1-2yrs until he was forced to get rid of it...then my bro swooped in and picked it up for peanuts (despite legitimately offerring to fix it rather than straight up rob him), took care of the silly crank issue with a little welding magic and finally got it registered on back on the road (with an antique plate!).

As said I've driven tons of Miatas when i was into the scene and this old dog is both dry as a bone and more importantly has the best feeling 1.6 and 5sp combo I've ever experienced in any Miata. I've been considering a new Fiesta ST as a DD, and then accepting the proposed terminal but prestine W201 for beater Miata trade offer and keep this thing a cheap little toy to take out and wrap on nice days. Just needs a .75-1" more clearance and someone willing to print and slap a sticker on it, obviously part of the deal.

I got burned out on cars for a while (why I bought the W201) after priorly owning an '06 WRX originally purchased stock w/ ~70k miles and non dumbshit owner. Of course I couldnt wait to go with the stage 2 pro-tune or whatever the gently caress its called...which ultimately resulted in accumulating of points on my license. Finally hosed the motor somehow and confirmed that I lost 50% compression for reasons never determined. Due to outside circumstances and being in a tight financial spot I said gently caress it and listed it anyways and finally managed to lose it for only $2k less than it was bought for 3yrs prior - naturally sold to some flat-billed subarube from Maine who I can only assume had never driven a turbocharged/fast car before and was oh so impressed while out for a test drive.

But after driving the Miata I think the spark has finally returned. I haven't driven the ST yet but I can't possibly see myself being disappointed aside from the meh looks and the fact that it doesnt sound like an Abarth...but i think im at the point where alright with this.

ok here's some additional 95M and W201 content:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 1, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I love car.

This is a well kept example. Old tanks like this catch my eye more than some supercar

and I bet this fucker does good burnouts too.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 1, 2015

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

cursedshitbox posted:

This is a well kept example. Old tanks like this catch my eye more than some supercar

when shopping for my first car at 16 there was one of those sitting for sale at a sketchy body shop and i wanted it so so bad, but in the end still ended up with a dead woman's '86 Grand Marquis that i completely ruined in weeks - basically driving it like Ricky's shitmobile New Yorker from Trailer Park Boys.

despite the ridiculously anemic and dead silent 5.0 it was still somehow capable of some epic burnouts, iirc the first thing I did once the plates were screwed on was call my friend and tell him to look out his window in 5 minutes. also didnt do half bad when I decided to tag along with a bunch of SUVs to go "off-roading" (doing donuts in smi-secluded muddy areas). eventually ended up driving it straight into a pole when it fogged up during a torrential storm but still drove it around with a completely bent frame for at least two months until it was sold to a body shop owner that was a friend of the family.

My next car was a '90 Oldsmobile Toronado and ended up treating that car like it was a Rolls-Royce prob i had already gotten all the crazy poo poo out of my system and because it cost more than $3000. Complete with maroon bordello of blood leather interior and batshit insane early GM digital dash, which eventually failed and ended up being the only car ive ever truly given up on and gave to charity.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 1, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

You just described an S-class merc or Rolls Royce or Bentley or any number of much better cars.

Yeah, and i bought one of those too, but it ended up having a salvage title. :(

Way to open up old wounds, jerk.

This was my ride for a weekend until it went back to the auction. Unfortunately without pictures of the damage or repairs, it can never be re-registered. 134,000kms and only good for parts. i couldn't give up the garage space to part it out. Trigger warning, a Lincoln Mark IV is visible in the background of this image which may upset some wealthy forum members.

I have amazing taste in cars and sometimes it breaks my heart :(

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

heres hoping karma eventually caught up with all those responsible for designing and approving the atrocious DOT lights on all the W201/W124/W126/etc Benzs., I can't think of a worst set of headlights in terms of both appearance and performance.

fortunately thanks to ebay/cheap asian replacement parts manufacturers, its typically an easy thing to resolve

and this is coming from someone who sincerely thinks factory amber corner lights are perfectly fine on just about anything in terms of aesthetics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm poor as gently caress and that car kicks rear end and gently caress YEAH.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

If you don't get it, words probably won't change that, but here it goes.

For starters, it's absolutely beautiful. It's style and presence is only partially conveyed in pictures. The last of the Era where the car was built from the designers pen and not second guessed by "accountants" or "engineers". The designer wanted the back windows to open. The engineers said there wasn't room because of the opera window, the accountants didn't think they should pay for 2 power window motors just for the little back windows. The designer won and there are power window motors to slide those bitches back a whole inch. Even if you don't find it conventionally attractive, you can't see any concessions made by the designer to cost or practicality.

It's also the antithesis of parking lot meet car culture. You don't go and park beside three others like it anywhere any time. There's no discussion around it about what civic mods are needed to beat it. No no bench racing, no price tag jealousy, no top gear words. You'll never see someone in a Tapout t-shirt valet one at the local steak house. You'll never see a nurburgring sticker on the back window of one. You'll never be embarrassed by what other owners of one make people think of you.

It's also so comfortable that it puts you in a different state of mind when driving. You can't be in a hurry driving it but you're never late. Everybody smiles at you, sometimes give you a thumbs up. You can't be angry in this car. You're unaffected by pot holes, speed bumps, non level manhole covers or railroad tracks. You don't have to brace or brake or swerve. Even if a shock can make it through the sidewall and the suspension travel, it won't make it through the seat. Nobody can slow you down, nobody expects you to speed up.

It's not valuable, not fragile and you can fix it with a hammer. You can park next to whoever whenever and not worry. You still find people who have never seen one and aren't afraid to ask about it.

Most importantly, it's hard to walk away from it without turning around for one more look. yeah it handles like a boat and gets the same fuel economy as your lambo, and comes from the dark era of the American automobile, but it does exactly what it was designed to do better than any other car really can. You can't stimulate the experience with any other style of car.

This. This is loving beautiful. Anyone that cannot get behind this needs to drink a gallon of Drano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Comrade Flynn posted:

This is why I love AI. Comrade Flynn, your post wasn't called cunty for any reason involving ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°YOUR MONEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°, it was called cunty because it had the tone of a oval office. If you don't like something, fine, but you can't cast some blanket judgement on something based on your subjective interpretation of cool, that would make you like HotCanadianChick.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The people who like them, like them for the same reason hipsters are fascinated by terrible things like fixed gear bikes and horn rimmed glasses.

Don't be like HotCanadianChick.

Ozmiander posted:

cursedshitbox posted:

Also, any slag you get isn't because you think you're Mr. Moneybags of the forum. From a lot of us, it comes from your bragging about "I can do AWD burnouts at will," then when asked to do just such a thing, you cried about "¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°MY $10,000 Clutch¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°."

A lot of us are happy for you that you're doing well, honestly. But just do the loving burnout already.