Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We are getting into the powerpc stuff at work (we previously only tested with intel x86) and ordered a power8 server to ramp up. It comes with AIX installed but first thing will be replace that with Linux no doubt.

The POWER9s have pcie gen4 :getin:

Should be interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

That's two independent nodes in 1 OCP tray, note the multi-host NIC.

Ah, fair point. Still, 48 cores on one socket vs Xeons maxing out at 56 cores on two sockets is playing in the same league IMO, on a core count basis at least.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is ARM on servers the new Linux on desktop thing I keep hearing every year?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Is ARM on servers the new Linux on desktop thing I keep hearing every year?

Yes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Server rt 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cygni posted:

STH has some non performance analysis of the Qualcomm CPUs. His take away is basically ARM servers havent had great luck getting traction for a variety of reasons (including Broadcom, who may now buy Qualcomm, shutting down their own ARM server business), and with EPYC around, the anybody-but-intel server crowd may already have their darling.

https://www.servethehome.com/analyzing-key-qualcomm-centriq-2400-market-headwinds/

Qualcomm couldn't even beat stock ARM in either CPU or GPU in mobile, let alone in an environment of big players where CPU costs are a pittance all things considered.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/Rajaontheedge/status/928427350743588864

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Palladium posted:

Qualcomm couldn't even beat stock ARM in either CPU or GPU in mobile, let alone in an environment of big players where CPU costs are a pittance all things considered.

It's all about performance per watt. If Qualcomm is really delivering in that category the big players like LinkedIn, Azure, Google are interested. If they don't really have an edge they will fade out like every other ARM server play.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rastor posted:

It's all about performance per watt. If Qualcomm is really delivering in that category the big players like LinkedIn, Azure, Google are interested. If they don't really have an edge they will fade out like every other ARM server play.

If you can provide a platform that delivers X big compute task 15% cheaper than the next best solution, the cost of rejiggering the code to run on it becomes secondary to the 20 million you spend on the hardware to run it on.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you can provide a platform that delivers X big compute task 15% cheaper than the next best solution, the cost of rejiggering the code to run on it becomes secondary to the 20 million you spend on the hardware to run it on.

The problem is that more real-world tasks Actual Tough Problems are latency-sensitive than you would think. The latency-insensitive throughput-oriented market or super-analytic market are already well-served in various fashions. And distributed consensus is a tough problem all its own.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

The problem is that more real-world tasks Actual Tough Problems are latency-sensitive than you would think. The latency-insensitive throughput-oriented market or super-analytic market are already well-served in various fashions. And distributed consensus is a tough problem all its own.

I think in their briefing Qualcomm flat out stated their target is not scale-up latency sensitive analytics, it is scale-out PUE sensitive cloud hosting.

Like people seem to be saying this is no replacement for a top end x86 server running Oracle or whatever and I don't think it was ever trying to be.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Paul MaudDib posted:

distributed consensus is tough but is entirely orthogonal to ISA

In a lot of cases you just need a sea of cores, and ARM is fine for that, but lacks an equivalent to Infinity Fabric or Omnipath.
ARM also doesn't give a gently caress about competing with nVidia re PCIe bandwidth so they aren't going to be dragging their heels on io to favor CPU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Rastor posted:

I think in their briefing Qualcomm flat out stated their target is not scale-up latency sensitive analytics, it is scale-out PUE sensitive cloud hosting.

Like people seem to be saying this is no replacement for a top end x86 server running Oracle or whatever and I don't think it was ever trying to be.

poo poo like ML is massively parallelized and needs more of a cpu <-> accelerator connection than anything else which is great b/c ARM AXI is like the IP standard. not sure they have a great off chip interconnect story but u can always hook up PCIe IP out the wazoo

basically ARM's USP is customizability which Intel has rarely if at all offered and only to select customers. Intel's response is Xeon + Altera FPGAs which is not bad but sometimes u just want someone else to do all the hw heavy lifting and buy that weird rear end 7 core w/ 8x10GBe + NN accelerator

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
That is one goofy looking chip (kady lake g)

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1793246-1-1.html

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Don Lapre posted:

It's socket 1151 compatible right

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sure get out the dremel and hack off the interposer and you're good to drop it in

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Neat look by CloudFlare at how Intel fares against Qualcomm's ARM for serverside work: https://blog.cloudflare.com/arm-takes-wing/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Don Lapre posted:

Goofy-looking, yes - but I'm more so noticing that they didn't bother to make an IHS for it and instead went the shim route. ~Fingers crossed~ for eight-core CL.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
That with a video card style vapor chamber cooler could work out quite well.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I found an HP Visualizer X-Class (A1280) desktop tower in the recycling bin at work. Dual Pentium III's clocked at 1GHz, 160GB SCSI drive, 4GB of dual-channel RAM, a customized TNT2 card, and misc bits of "wow, this is meant for actual mid-iron workloads" from TYOOL 2000.

Obviously, I want to play Quake III with it, but HP won't help me with drivers. Does anyone here have a recommended forum I could ask in order to get it up and running properly on Windows 2000?

mewse
May 2, 2006

A Bad King posted:

I found an HP Visualizer X-Class (A1280) desktop tower in the recycling bin at work. Dual Pentium III's clocked at 1GHz, 160GB SCSI drive, 4GB of dual-channel RAM, a customized TNT2 card, and misc bits of "wow, this is meant for actual mid-iron workloads" from TYOOL 2000.

Obviously, I want to play Quake III with it, but HP won't help me with drivers. Does anyone here have a recommended forum I could ask in order to get it up and running properly on Windows 2000?

Nice find.

Are you sure HP isn't providing drivers? I couldn't find anything x-class or a1280 but there are a bunch of Visualize workstations listed.

Vogons is kinda good for old drivers but they're more focused on old DOS gaming. You might have the most problems with whatever SCSI chipset is on the mobo.

e: found a user manual, looks like it carries an adaptec Ultra 160/m SCSI card

mewse fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 9, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Goofy-looking, yes - but I'm more so noticing that they didn't bother to make an IHS for it and instead went the shim route. ~Fingers crossed~ for eight-core CL.

Because it's designed for laptops and nucs. All laptop cpus are like this.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

mewse posted:

Nice find.

Are you sure HP isn't providing drivers? I couldn't find anything x-class or a1280 but there are a bunch of Visualize workstations listed.

Vogons is kinda good for old drivers but they're more focused on old DOS gaming. You might have the most problems with whatever SCSI chipset is on the mobo.

e: found a user manual, looks like it carries an adaptec Ultra 160/m SCSI card

I couldn't find anything. A phone call to HP support told me that anything from that era is deleted from their site by year 10.

It boots to Windows NT 4.0 SP6A, but I obviously don't have the log ins. Boot diagnostics (which is super fancy and gets me excited every time it runs) are green and good, so I have a fully working but inaccessible ~$18k dream machine that I'm afraid to refresh.

mewse
May 2, 2006

A Bad King posted:

I couldn't find anything. A phone call to HP support told me that anything from that era is deleted from their site by year 10.

It boots to Windows NT 4.0 SP6A, but I obviously don't have the log ins. Boot diagnostics (which is super fancy and gets me excited every time it runs) are green and good, so I have a fully working but inaccessible ~$18k dream machine that I'm afraid to refresh.

See if you can blank the passwords with a boot CD

https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

mewse posted:

See if you can blank the passwords with a boot CD

https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

You're amazing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks that's why they pay me a modest amount of money!!

NT 4 should be able to run quake3 with a TNT2 card in there.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

mewse posted:

Thanks that's why they pay me a modest amount of money!!

NT 4 should be able to run quake3 with a TNT2 card in there.

I wonder if Lazy Gamer Reviews would like to take a peek at this thing.

Man...two PIII's was :siren:Maximum PC Dream Machine:siren:, back in my childhood. Having 4 gigs of dual-channel RAM was..."what can I do with this?!?!" territory! Throw in a SCSI drive and you got a bullseye on your back for when the revolution comes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh gee, my dual P3-933 machine outlived so much P4s and single core Athlons. It was only slayed by the AthlonX2.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh gee, my dual P3-933 machine outlived so much P4s and single core Athlons. It was only slayed by the AthlonX2.

Cause p4 was so bad they went back to the p3 architecture.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
Newegg has had 8700k’s in stock all morning. I grabbed one yesterday morning, and it shipped out from Indianapolis by the afternoon.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

A Bad King posted:

I wonder if Lazy Gamer Reviews would like to take a peek at this thing.

Man...two PIII's was :siren:Maximum PC Dream Machine:siren:, back in my childhood. Having 4 gigs of dual-channel RAM was..."what can I do with this?!?!" territory! Throw in a SCSI drive and you got a bullseye on your back for when the revolution comes.

I had a dual p2 (better than p3) micronics Helios board back in the day with hacked Celeron 333s overclocked to 450 and a TNT2 and a SCSI drive.
The Helios board was the poo poo.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Always wanted a timna.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Don Lapre posted:

Oh I guessed right about the NUC thing. E: I just realized the guess was from the AMD thread and this is a crosspost

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 10, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's a good tool to use for checking CPU temperature?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Digirat posted:

I use HWinfo64.

eames
May 9, 2009

Digirat posted:

https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Coretemp has bundled malware in the past so watch out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Also they may have fixed it, since, but as of a year ago coretemp had weird compatibility issues with windows 8/10; causing windows to sometimes hang on log in.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Is there any chance of the 8700k going back to msrp in the next few months? I could use a pc upgrade soonish and my credit card has 90 days of price protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yes. Stock is slowly recovering.