Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheJukku
May 4, 2012

by T. Finninho
I don't have many weapon related mods other than WMX and some of Millenia's guns. and I'm noticing that I'm getting a LOT of energy weapon mods and next to none of the gun mods I want. I'm wondering if there's something wrong? or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TheJukku posted:

I don't have many weapon related mods other than WMX and some of Millenia's guns. and I'm noticing that I'm getting a LOT of energy weapon mods and next to none of the gun mods I want. I'm wondering if there's something wrong? or what?

Maybe bad luck? It's impossible to tell when you only give a vague idea of what you have installed.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Internet Meme posted:

Is there a comprehensive mod for adding additional fast travel points? I just switched to PN from FOOK and I'm missing having all the extra ones for Freeside/Vault 21 etc... There are ones for individual sites on nexus, but nothing like the ones that FOOK added.
Haven't used FOOK, but maybe this? http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/43203

Or did you mean for outside of New Vegas itself, too?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Witchfinder General posted:

Haven't used FOOK, but maybe this? http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/43203

Or did you mean for outside of New Vegas itself, too?

Does this work for "Freeside Uncut"/The Strip Open mods?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So I'm using Cirosan's Classic Overhaul and I really have to ask, do the over the top health levels in the early game taper off? I'm only level 5 right now but it seems like everything I fight has enormous amounts of health and I do too. I believe the mod says the early game has somewhat inflated health levels, but if it doesn't taper off then just this feature will make me dump the entire gameplay portion of the overhaul. If human enemies are taking whole magazines to kill in the early game I don't even want to think about what happens later. This is on normal difficulty for the record.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Does this work for "Freeside Uncut"/The Strip Open mods?

Yep. I use those three mods together and it works fine.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

So I'm using Cirosan's Classic Overhaul and I really have to ask, do the over the top health levels in the early game taper off? I'm only level 5 right now but it seems like everything I fight has enormous amounts of health and I do too. I believe the mod says the early game has somewhat inflated health levels, but if it doesn't taper off then just this feature will make me dump the entire gameplay portion of the overhaul. If human enemies are taking whole magazines to kill in the early game I don't even want to think about what happens later. This is on normal difficulty for the record.
Tapers off in later levels, yeah. After you level up past level 6, the low-level failsafe turns off and everything goes back to its original health. I may need to play with those values a little bit (see here for the setting I'm talking about).

Alright, people who have played with CCO (and I know there are quite a few in this thread), sound off. Does the HP of early level enemies need to be adjusted? Share your thoughts. Occasionally I get the odd comment like this, and I'm not sure if it's a problem that nobody posts about, or if it's a silent majority that doesn't have a problem - if that makes any sense. Let's clear the air for next release.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I personally did not have a problem with it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cirosan posted:

Alright, people who have played with CCO (and I know there are quite a few in this thread), sound off. Does the HP of early level enemies need to be adjusted? Share your thoughts.

I used jsawyer's lowered values for health/carry weight in conjunction with your mod but I'm not sure if that applies to NPCs (does it?). I didn't find the beginning bullet-spongy at all - and this is with your follower damage tweaks active.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Well I finally upgraded my rig to Windows 8, and stuck 8GB of ram in there too; now I'm trying to get F:NV working again, and I'm having some trouble, specifically with the FNV4GB mod.

I've been able to launch and play the base game, no mods, and I've been able to install NVSE, and launch F:NV from both the NVSE executable, and FOMM (via NVSE).

I followed all the instructions for installing FNV4GB from both the OP and the .txt included with the files, and I've linked FOMM to it with a custom file path - that all works fine.

However when I launch the executable directly, or from FOMM, I get a small window that comes up with a green progress bar which says launching, this progresses for a second or so, then disappears, and otherwise nothing happens. The game doesn't launch, there's no activity in task manager, nothing.

I'm running everything in administrator mode, and I've already tried running it in XP compatibility mode - in which case FNV4GB will not even launch. I have no mods enabled in FOMM besides the base game and dlc stuff. Anyone got any advice, or ideas for how I can get this working?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

JawKnee posted:

FNV4GB does not work on Windows 8

FNV4GB has not been updated to work on Windows 8.

EDIT: I did not do the research. I am shameful.

Skyrim4GB has been backported to New Vegas, and allegedly supports both NVSE and Windows 8.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 30, 2013

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Bummer, ah well. Guess I won't be able to use those huge texture packs.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
There was a tool for Windows 7 that basically let you do what FNV4GB does but for any .exe. I wonder if it exists for Windows 8?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Probably, but don't know where it'd be. Might trip up Steamworks.

JawKnee posted:

Bummer, ah well. Guess I won't be able to use those huge texture packs.

Sorry. I figured you wouldn't be replying this soon so I edited my last post.

Try this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cirosan posted:

Tapers off in later levels, yeah. After you level up past level 6, the low-level failsafe turns off and everything goes back to its original health. I may need to play with those values a little bit (see here for the setting I'm talking about).

Alright, people who have played with CCO (and I know there are quite a few in this thread), sound off. Does the HP of early level enemies need to be adjusted? Share your thoughts. Occasionally I get the odd comment like this, and I'm not sure if it's a problem that nobody posts about, or if it's a silent majority that doesn't have a problem - if that makes any sense. Let's clear the air for next release.

I've been using your mod in conjunction with JSawyer for a while now, but even before that, I don't recall the HP values bothering me. If anything, I tweaked and installed a few mods specifically for buffing animals and mutants, which your mod doesn't really touch (or, at least, I don't think it touches). Barring some sort of conflict, it might be possible that some users expect CCO to turn the game into a more "realism"-oriented experience. I certainly never remember having situations where I had to mag-dump a firearm into some dude's face to kill him.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Out of curiosity would steam big picture mode work with all the convoluted poo poo I have piled on? Like I have to start the game in FOMM, which starts NVSE, which then starts the game.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Probably, but don't know where it'd be. Might trip up Steamworks.

Sorry. I figured you wouldn't be replying this soon so I edited my last post.

Try this.

I'll give it a try, thanks!

E: That appears to be working fine, thanks a bunch :)

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 30, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cirosan posted:

I use CCO with Jsawyer and let Jsawyer override all the CCO values, but I never noticed a problem. Gameplay feels fine and a great balance between RPG and FPS, which is important to me.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Seems like the formulas are okay, then. I won't change them. Keep any feedback coming, though.

In related news, the Ulysses Companion mod has been updated to version 1.3.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
A discussion about No-Bark Noonan in the New Vegas thread got me thinking about making a mod. What I want to make is a 'conspiracy kook' radio station, sort of like Coast to Coast AM if you're familiar with that show. The DJ's rants and news reports provide clues to the players about strange goings-on at X location, which the player can investigate.

So the things to implement are the radio station itself and the unmarked mini-quests. My thought is that the quests should be tiered or gated. It could start out with one or two quests at first, and the next 'set' would only trigger/load when the first set is completed, and the radio hints would change appropriately.

What would be a good work flow to implement this kind of thing? Should I set up the radio station first, test the trigger flags for the announcements, then hook up the flags to the quests, which I could implement independently? I've not used the GECK at all, so any advice would be great. Honestly, if I could just get it to be functional with dummy content and simple FedEx/kill X monster quests, I'd be pretty happy.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I haven't really hosed with it (Especially in regards to the radio) but presumably when it goes to fire off a specific bit of news, it checks to see if a variable is set to a specific value, and if it is it allows it to play certain bits, and those variables are set upon completion of quests.

But let me see if I get you

Install mod > Find new radio station > radio station leads to clues for quest(s) > Upon completion of those quests, radio station changes to reflect the outcome of the quest as well as insert clues for new quests > repeat until player slays the king of the mole men and takes their silly hat of rulership and becomes the new king, to be showered with beautiful wigs made of the hair of the surface dwellers and designer appliances.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

SpookyLizard posted:

I haven't really hosed with it (Especially in regards to the radio) but presumably when it goes to fire off a specific bit of news, it checks to see if a variable is set to a specific value, and if it is it allows it to play certain bits, and those variables are set upon completion of quests.
That's what I figured, yeah. At the very least I could test out triggering specific news bits using dummy files (ie, "This is News Item 1," etc.) and toggling flags on and off to simulate various steps in the quest chain.

SpookyLizard posted:

Install mod > Find new radio station > radio station leads to clues for quest(s) > Upon completion of those quests, radio station changes to reflect the outcome of the quest as well as insert clues for new quests > repeat until player slays the king of the mole men and takes their silly hat of rulership and becomes the new king, to be showered with beautiful wigs made of the hair of the surface dwellers and designer appliances.
Yeah, that's about the long and short of it. Ideally, I want to get that No-Bark Noonan feel, where it's a character who is off-kilter most of the time, but occasionally stumbles on the truth. It's just that their interpretation of the truth is so warped that people ignore them. Like in your mole man example, the DJ could start ranting about rumors of mole men abducting or killing people out in the Mojave. It might turn out that it's actually a scheme by some prospectors trying run people off a plot of land, or maybe it's true that there's some underground thing that's killing people, only it's a Tunneler nest.

Another example is the 'bug men' quest from Fallout 2. In that quest, two jerks are stealing the village idiot's brahmin, but they wear radscorpion bits while doing it to fool the village idiot into thinking they're 'bug men'. When he complains to the rest of the town, they either write him off or think it's just regular radscorpions.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Tupperwarez posted:

That's what I figured, yeah. At the very least I could test out triggering specific news bits using dummy files (ie, "This is News Item 1," etc.) and toggling flags on and off to simulate various steps in the quest chain.

Yeah, that's about the long and short of it. Ideally, I want to get that No-Bark Noonan feel, where it's a character who is off-kilter most of the time, but occasionally stumbles on the truth. It's just that their interpretation of the truth is so warped that people ignore them. Like in your mole man example, the DJ could start ranting about rumors of mole men abducting or killing people out in the Mojave. It might turn out that it's actually a scheme by some prospectors trying run people off a plot of land, or maybe it's true that there's some underground thing that's killing people, only it's a Tunneler nest.

Another example is the 'bug men' quest from Fallout 2. In that quest, two jerks are stealing the village idiot's brahmin, but they wear radscorpion bits while doing it to fool the village idiot into thinking they're 'bug men'. When he complains to the rest of the town, they either write him off or think it's just regular radscorpions.

Or they are sentient mole rats!

If it were possible, you'd want a crazy psuedo dynamic thing that changes these things up on every new game, so while DJ No Bark rattles same as ever, you never really have a clue as to what is real and what's not, you just have to follow up his leads. Maybe it's somebody pulling a scooby doo and maybe it's someone being dumb and maybe there ARE molemen.

I can't exactly help on the technical side for a bit, but if you want some help with the writing and stuff (and what technical knowledge I have off of my memory, I've got some contact info in my profile, so we can chat this up without clogging up the thread.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
A dust storm flared up near some big rear end Viper location after I had cleared them out. I thought I could get inside the little subway tunnel they hang out near, lol nope gently caress. Well there's an undiscovered location on my map, let's get inside!

Son of a poo poo snackin' whore...

I'll take my chances in the storm! I'm leaving, I don't want anything!

WHO THE gently caress JUST PUNCHED ME FROM BEHIND. THAT'S HOW IT'S GONNA BE? FINE.

LO THERE DO I SEE MY FATHER :black101:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Your cowboy motherfucker certainly has forgotten the face of his father Beeb. Jesus.

Additionally: Three deathclaws? Triple dukes.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

SpookyLizard posted:

I can't exactly help on the technical side for a bit, but if you want some help with the writing and stuff (and what technical knowledge I have off of my memory, I've got some contact info in my profile, so we can chat this up without clogging up the thread.
Thanks for the offer, man. I'm gonna hold off on writing anything for now, I just want to get a skeleton of the system up and running, just to see how viable it'll be. Once I get the radio station running, and having it respond properly to some simple 'stub' quests (kill a named monster at X location to trigger flag 1a, or loot a marked container at Y location to trigger flag 2c, for example), then I can start thinking of planning quests.

For now, it looks like a lot of wiki and forum reading ahead, along with lots of experimentation.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Good luck with GECK scripting. Theres no error checking in it, and the only way to find out if it works is if it saves. Which closes the editing window.

I recommend something at least 80 proof.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Are there any cheat mods that would let me bust open terminals & safes? I always play combat oriented characters but also want to get some of the goodies hidden inside those things.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

SpookyLizard posted:

Your cowboy motherfucker certainly has forgotten the face of his father Beeb. Jesus.

Additionally: Three deathclaws? Triple dukes.

I decided Dead Wind Cavern was a great place to wait out a dust storm. Whoops. :downs:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Radio Talmudist posted:

Are there any cheat mods that would let me bust open terminals & safes? I always play combat oriented characters but also want to get some of the goodies hidden inside those things.

~ to open the console, click the door or safe and type "unlock". :v:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Alouicious posted:

I'd actually like a mod that ditched the minimum skill requirements for opening poo poo.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Alouicious posted:

I would like a mod that helps distance myself from the grim reality of my cheating by making it seem like I'm not cheating.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

I want a mod that lets me tell my companions to hack terminals and pick locks for me. This is currently how I justify using unlock on terminals when Veronica is in my party, but I too would like to be conceptually removed from my own cheating.

As for brute forcing locks, there is this?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

fentan posted:

I want a mod that lets me tell my companions to hack terminals and pick locks for me. This is currently how I justify using unlock on terminals when Veronica is in my party, but I too would like to be conceptually removed from my own cheating.

As for brute forcing locks, there is this?

This was the sort of thing I was looking for, thank you! Maybe I'll use "unlock" with terminals.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

fentan posted:

I want a mod that lets me tell my companions to hack terminals and pick locks for me.

The Wendy Gilbert companion discussed earlier in the thread can actually do this. No real character back-story, no :nexus: girlfriend plot (though her "sleepwear" is some custom transparent lingerie) Just someone who follows you around and can break out the bobby pins for you. You can assign her Tag skills when you pick her up, so I keep her around and have her focus on the skills my character is lacking on. I've plugged this mod before, because it really does seem to be about the most versatile companion mod out there.

edit:
\/\/\/ Yes. She builds her skills as they get used; for lockpicking as an example, she'll gain a point every few times she opens something. If her skill is below the lock level, but still close, you can have her attempt to force it; she can at least make an attempt to open something where the player wouldn't at the same lockpick level. She can also use skill magazines for a temporary buff, or you can even give her actual skillbooks if you're so inclined. Other skills work on the same lines - give her a gun and let her kill things, her gun skill increases. Ask her for help at a workbench (which gives you a buff to your repair skill based on a percentage of hers) and her repair skill goes up.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 31, 2013

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Hobo on Fire posted:

The Wendy Gilbert companion discussed earlier in the thread can actually do this. No real character back-story, no :nexus: girlfriend plot (though her "sleepwear" is some custom transparent lingerie) Just someone who follows you around and can break out the bobby pins for you. You can assign her Tag skills when you pick her up, so I keep her around and have her focus on the skills my character is lacking on. I've plugged this mod before, because it really does seem to be about the most versatile companion mod out there.

....and she levels up in those abilities as you progress through the game? Wow. I'll installing this tonight.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Hobo on Fire posted:

edit:
\/\/\/ Yes. She builds her skills as they get used; for lockpicking as an example, she'll gain a point every few times she opens something. If her skill is below the lock level, but still close, you can have her attempt to force it; she can at least make an attempt to open something where the player wouldn't at the same lockpick level. She can also use skill magazines for a temporary buff, or you can even give her actual skillbooks if you're so inclined. Other skills work on the same lines - give her a gun and let her kill things, her gun skill increases. Ask her for help at a workbench (which gives you a buff to your repair skill based on a percentage of hers) and her repair skill goes up.

Love it. Does this mean if I make her tagged skills Repair, Computers and Locks she'll be terrible at combat, however?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Radio Talmudist posted:

Love it. Does this mean if I make her tagged skills Repair, Computers and Locks she'll be terrible at combat, however?

The more kills she gets, the higher her skills will rise. Let her take care of weak enemies when you first get her so she can run up her combat skills. If you give her a good weapon, and let her get the kills, eventually she'll be able to drop legionaries faster than Boone. It just takes longer to get to that point if none of the weapon skills are tagged. Get enough use out of her, and it is completely possible to max out all of her skills.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Hobo on Fire posted:

The more kills she gets, the higher her skills will rise. Let her take care of weak enemies when you first get her so she can run up her combat skills. If you give her a good weapon, and let her get the kills, eventually she'll be able to drop legionaries faster than Boone. It just takes longer to get to that point if none of the weapon skills are tagged. Get enough use out of her, and it is completely possible to max out all of her skills.

Beautiful, thank you for that. Does anyone know if there is a limit of how many companions you have at a single time?

EDIT: ...And do Project Nevada, Fallout 3 Weapons Restoration and WME get along with each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
PN and WME have patches. PN does restore a lot of weapons so I think that other mod is unnecessary. But I wouldn't use WME because he hasn't updated his patch for Aernovalis' WRT in a year or some poo poo. WMX keeps it's patch very current. Use WMX.