Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

re: laces, if it's good enough for gretzky, its good enough for me

*fans on wide open net with $260 one piece <430g composite stick*

*is me last night*

sellouts fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We're trying to get ahold of our goalie to kick him off the team, but he's gone AWOL. Not returning emails or phone calls. I think he knows...

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

dyn posted:

The Elite Hockey Oval Waxed skate laces are actually pretty good at keeping your skate boot nice and snug, the tricky part is actually loosening them up after your game. You need small fingers with long nails to get those things apart. I prefer just the usual waxed lace that you can get at any sporting good store.

I like the oval waxed, they develop a divot right where you always lace them to. Once they are broken in your fingernails and the skin on your fingers grow back.
I think they may have been discontinued, get em before they are gone forever - for only 2 BUX
http://www.purehockey.com/elite-pro-series-hockey-skate-lace-20902/white

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We're trying to get ahold of our goalie to kick him off the team, but he's gone AWOL. Not returning emails or phone calls. I think he knows...

Why are you giving him the boot?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

Why are you giving him the boot?

He got lazy, gives up retarded goals every game, and doesn't try to get better.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

When did you guys hire Brodeur?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So he got a girlfriend/wife and doesn't hang with the team anymore?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nah, he's married with kids. Would still hang out for beers after every game.

Good guy and honestly bummed to see him go.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
I may have led another to join the beer league adult novice crowd... :woop:
A guy I work with saw me reading on the computer about the Bruins yesterday. We started talking about hockey and he asked me if I played. He was really intrigued when he learned I had just started less than a year ago. It turns out he lives in the same town where I play, so I gave him all the advice I had on learning to skate and finding cheap gear and ice time and stuff. He was really excited about the idea of playing, he said he loves watching hockey but never thought he could play. :kiddo:

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
gently caress, I'd forgotten how fun hockey is. Randomly joined a bottom-level team in Oakland and played my first game in 4 years last weekend. Had to buy all my equipment the day before the game which was, uh, an ordeal and still managed to open the scoring :cool:

Also the league I'm in posts game sheets online and it is practically a childhood dream come true.

Also also - I've played hockey in a handful of arenas in Canada and the best surface I've been on has been in California, kinda shameful.

Edit - Oh, and the equipment guide came in super handy, thanks bewbies.

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 11, 2014

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A buddy linked me this article and I hadn't seen it posted before: Zen and the Art of Beer-League Hockey. Nothing groundbreaking but it brought out some interesting topics.

Makes me think of when I asked someone how they got so good at skating. "Do it with pads," they said, "you'll be too busy to think about it and the skating will take care of itself."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I've been a lifelong hockey fan, but to my eternal shame I've never really learnt to skate or play hockey due to a combination of British parents and growing up on the west coast. The couple times I've played shinny on ice I've loved every second of it despite looking like a turd out there. However, I think I'm finally committed to giving this a try this winter. My girlfriend has said she'll get me skating lessons for my birthday, is there a good beginner skating program located in downtown Toronto that would be a good starting point? I've looked at public and private ones, and they seem to vary wildly in price and honestly I have no idea where to start or if there's any noticeable difference between them for a total rookie like me. I'd prefer one located somewhere along the TTC as I don't own a car and don't want to have to use a zip car a few times a week to get there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

mr. unhsib posted:

Also also - I've played hockey in a handful of arenas in Canada and the best surface I've been on has been in California, kinda shameful.

Welcome back!

What's the best sheet you've been on? Just curious.

I think mine are tied between Staples Center and the Eagle River, WI sheet we skated on before the pond tournament. It was basically a big corrugated metal building with no heat, so the ground was sufficiently frozen but had the services of a real zam.

Worst is tied, Reunion Arena in Dallas and the old Expo center in Austin. Both of those cities had good ice in other locations, so it's definitely not just a Texas thing, but they were the worst.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I played last weekend at Oakland Ice Center. I've previously played at a handful of arenas in Montreal and suburban Vancouver which ranged in quality from lovely (McConnell arena at McGill) to okay.

Oh and Yerba Buena in SF, which is godawful.

quote:

Makes me think of when I asked someone how they got so good at skating. "Do it with pads," they said, "you'll be too busy to think about it and the skating will take care of itself."

What does this mean, exactly? Do what with pads?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It blows my mind that Montreal could have bad ice. I know this is illogical.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
in my experience the ice is only as good as the people feel like keeping it. Most rinks don't really care too much about the ice quality as they are trying to fill it with people to make a living.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canlan Romeoville has the best ice I've used in the Chicago area.. they do the fancy purified water stuff like pro arenas use and it really shows.

Only downside is the ice hardness, a freshly sharpened skate never feel like it has enough hollow. Take those same skates to an average run rink and you'll cut way too deep into the ice.

But once you get around that it's a drat fine rink.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

mr. unhsib posted:

What does this mean, exactly? Do what with pads?

When I asked how long this person had been skating, they said less than half a year. They were racing around the rink doing backwards crossovers, transitions, pretty much what I view as the "basic necessities" for a hockey player*, and I was really impressed at how short a time they had spent to get so good. When I asked how they advanced so quickly, they said the above; when you're skating with a full kit, there's so much to keep track that you stop overthinking about a lot of aspects of the skating itself. There'll always be things you can work on consciously, but by and large once you get comfortable in your pads, the "what do I do with my feet?" isn't a question anymore.

*: Note that I am an exceptionally new player and my opinions are likely way off base

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Canlan Romeoville has the best ice I've used in the Chicago area.. they do the fancy purified water stuff like pro arenas use and it really shows.

Only downside is the ice hardness, a freshly sharpened skate never feel like it has enough hollow. Take those same skates to an average run rink and you'll cut way too deep into the ice.

But once you get around that it's a drat fine rink.

It's a stark contrast between Canlan Romeoville and Inwood Joliet. Rink 2 maintains hardness incredibly well. Rink 1 is bleh in the mornings and rink 3 is softer in the afternoon and evening.

Inwood in Joliet looks and feels like sludge. The pro shop at Inwood is also awful and the people working there are douches.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

FreshFeesh posted:

When I asked how long this person had been skating, they said less than half a year. They were racing around the rink doing backwards crossovers, transitions, pretty much what I view as the "basic necessities" for a hockey player*, and I was really impressed at how short a time they had spent to get so good. When I asked how they advanced so quickly, they said the above; when you're skating with a full kit, there's so much to keep track that you stop overthinking about a lot of aspects of the skating itself. There'll always be things you can work on consciously, but by and large once you get comfortable in your pads, the "what do I do with my feet?" isn't a question anymore.

*: Note that I am an exceptionally new player and my opinions are likely way off base

I know plenty of people who've been playing in full gear for years and who still struggle with various skating basics, unfortunately.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I played at Bridgestone arena last night, the ice was pretty good. Also there was a gigantic couch in the locker room.

There's also a brand new rink in town and the ice there has been really good so far but I'm not that confident that they'll keep putting so much effort into keeping it nice in the long term.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I dont know if I could remember what the best ice I've skated on has been, but the worst on straight ice quality was the Ponda Center. The old mall rinks in La Jolla and Costa Mesa were pretty bad, not flat, big waves in the ice, but the quality of the ice itself wasnt as bad as the Pond.

Best thing about the rink in La Jolla is they only had 2 locker rooms, you got to use them before games, but you had to get undressed behind the benches on the big stand type things they had there. The rink was in the food court of the mall... Nothing like getting naked while a family eating Cinnabon can see everything from above.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cover yo Cinnabuns, yo.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

So last night I got traded from Navy to Gold.

Too much?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Replace honey stick thing with hockey stick thing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Am I the only one who's positioning game goes to poo poo when he gets tired?

Played at DU tonight (I think the third or fourth time I've been on the ice in the last 5 months; because cycling) and about half way through I was utterly gassed. What I noticed more than anything was that I started to play bumblebee hockey way more than I do at the start of the session. It's not really an effort thing. I'm still skating as hard as I can each shift, but I just wind up curling cross ice, puck chasing, making dumb decisions. I get on the bench and I think "you subbed in for a guy playing RD (ish). Why did you come off at LW?" Parenthetically, calling positions at drop-in doesn't really describe my particular form of deterioration. There's an obvious fluidity to drop-in that doesn't exist in league hockey, and I still think guys are hilarious when they ask as they hop over the boards "what position were you playing?" But there's still a notion of positional play at higher level drop-in, and somewhere around the 45 minute mark I totally lose it.

It seems like the brain fatigues just as quickly as the body.

Idunno. Maybe it's everyone on the ice getting tired too. Just seems to happen less at the beginning of drop-in.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 13, 2014

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Everything in my game goes to poo poo when I get tired.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

Nitramster posted:

Replace honey stick thing with hockey stick thing.

It's eerie how accurate this is.

I wasn't wearing those socks when I got switched, luckily. I had just gotten some old Minnesota away socks so I was wearing those instead.

E:

Dangerllama posted:

I get on the bench and I think "you subbed in for a guy playing RD (ish). Why did you come off at LW?"

I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if this is drop-in? In my league, I often find myself "playing wing" but covering the D's position when guys take the puck off on their own. I don't think anyone minds, as long as everyone's man is covered.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 13, 2014

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Brettbot posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if this is drop-in? In my league, I often find myself "playing wing" but covering the D's position when guys take the puck off on their own. I don't think anyone minds, as long as everyone's man is covered.

Yeah, it's not really the drop-in switch thing though. Kind of hard to convey the difference. Instead of guys just filling holes like normal, it feels more like truly finding yourself out of position. Not because anyone stepped up or because I'm covering for another player, but just because I'm totally gassed, so I just neglected to skate back to any reasonably sane spot on the ice.

Idunno. I guess I'm just annoyed that fatigue also means making lovely decisions rather than just not being able to do as much physically. Breaking news.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Idunno. I guess I'm just annoyed that fatigue also means making lovely decisions rather than just not being able to do as much physically. Breaking news.

Then don't make lovely decisions? :v:

Your brain is in charge of your legs, if you want to be somewhere go there.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the sunday night drop-in i've gone to for years finally got a team together and had its first game last night (c-league). it was a tight game against a mediocre team, but we won 2-1. pretty excited for this season.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

Then don't make lovely decisions? :v:

Your brain is in charge of your legs, if you want to be somewhere go there.

Do you ever skate hard enough to get tired for real? Sometimes when I get back to the bench I swear I don't know my own name.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Do you ever skate hard enough to get tired for real? Sometimes when I get back to the bench I swear I don't know my own name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bBRFYNI420M#t=7 :v:

I skated for the first time since Ive been back in school, so 4 years, and it went just as I expected. Hockey stops are nothing like riding a bike, you totally loving forget how to do them. :argh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm always panting when I get back to the bench, I guess I can't really say if it's because I have poo poo conditioning or I'm working hard. Maybe both? My legs are typically toast by the end of the game, but it always seems like I can force them to push one more time to challenge an opponent or pick up speed for a breakout.

I'm definitely not as effective when tired, it's harder to change direction quickly but straight lines are just a determination thing.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
^sometimes when I go all out too long(over multiple shifts) I get those side stitch type cramps, which are pure hell. Once you get them they take a few shifts to go away.

Getting back into Fall Schedule mode starting tonight- skating Sun through Wed at different rinks. Seems like I can't throw a puck and have it not land in a face-off dot somewhere around here.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

xzzy posted:

I'm always panting when I get back to the bench, I guess I can't really say if it's because I have poo poo conditioning or I'm working hard. Maybe both? My legs are typically toast by the end of the game, but it always seems like I can force them to push one more time to challenge an opponent or pick up speed for a breakout.

I'm definitely not as effective when tired, it's harder to change direction quickly but straight lines are just a determination thing.

If you don't notice you make worse decisions in regards to positioning when you're really tired, I don't think you really know where to position yourself in the first place.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Just signed up for a new league, about half an hour away from here :toot:

Wonder what the north Jersey beer league scene is like

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I play a bit more positionally responsible when I'm tired I think, I run around most when I'm pissed off, and not tired.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

D C posted:

I play a bit more positionally responsible when I'm tired I think, I run around most when I'm pissed off, and not tired.

Pissed off is always bad, but the positioning thing depends on the kind of tired for me. If it's a fast game with a reasonable but not deep bench (let's say 10 players), then I'm more likely to get into the too-dumb-for-hockey type tired. If it's a completely shorthanded poo poo show and I'm out on the ice for 5+ minutes at a time, then my positioning is a lot better and my thinking is clearer, but I don't skate as hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Game one of my return to instructional league went well with a 4-0 win. I had an assist on the second goal. I went out for the last few seconds of a penalty kill and as the guy was coming out of the box I managed to get possession of the puck. I looked down to the opposite blue line to see a completely clear path to the guy standing at the opposite blue line, fired it right to his tape, and he potted the 1-on-0 breakaway.

I called him a cherry picker when I congratulated him on the goal. We had a good laugh on that one.

Xzzy: this was against Emily. She covers like 10% of the net when she's down in the butterfly. I almost feel bad for her, but she apparently enjoys having pucks fly at her.