Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Alright so circumstances have changed and for ~~reasons~~ I have to put it on a certain credit card with the stipulation that I get somethnig brand new, but my budget is now up to $1k. :woop:

Does that change the calculus of what to get or is the thinkpad line pretty much gonna be the go-to? Right now I can get a t440p with an i7-4600M and 8gb ram for $820 shipped, seems like a loving deal to me unless anyone thinks otherwise?

For an engineering on the go an i7 T series is going to be tits, yeah

You're doing solidworks, right? What's the RAM usage like on that? You might want to play around and see if you can get an SSD in trade for going with the i5, and if you're still under $1000 then bump the RAM up to 12 or 16GB

Make sure your T series has at least a 250GB SSD in it, or plan on swapping in one when it arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hadlock posted:

For an engineering on the go an i7 T series is going to be tits, yeah

You're doing solidworks, right? What's the RAM usage like on that? You might want to play around and see if you can get an SSD in trade for going with the i5, and if you're still under $1000 then bump the RAM up to 12 or 16GB

Make sure your T series has at least a 250GB SSD in it, or plan on swapping in one when it arrives.

The one I'm looking at is here, looks like a limited time deal, non-customizable (the one on the left). Someone's canceled custom-built order?

Solidworks' specs say "8GB ram recommended"; my desktop has 12GB and a 2009-era i7 and it runs it just fine so I imagine the laptop would be about the same.

Using the configurator, even with an i3 and 1366x768 screen, 12GB ram bumps the price to $980, or $1,052 for 16GB; an i5 adds $85-150 to those prices, the same i7 as the linked one adds nearly $300. A 256GB SSD is a $280 option.

I think I might just jump on this and buy RAM and SSD separately, it'll probably be the best deal in the long run.

E: Also I'm probably gonna get a mouse for this, is there a go-to recommendation?

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 26, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah and it has the NVIDIA GeForce N14M-GS 730M 1GB which isn't a spectatuclarly huge jump up from the HD4600 but it's a nice perk. It's "only" 1600x900 but that's actually a pretty nice resolution, I think you'll like it.

Yeah grab the SSD in a month and an extra 8GB SO-DIMM when you get the chance, that is going to be a spectacular upgrade to your 2009 era laptop.

Also has the dual band AC wifi which is nice.

edit: I really like the logitech M500, I own two at home and one at the office. It's wired though and some people prefer wireless.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 26, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Enourmo posted:

The one I'm looking at is here, looks like a limited time deal, non-customizable (the one on the left). Someone's canceled custom-built order?

Solidworks' specs say "8GB ram recommended"; my desktop has 12GB and a 2009-era i7 and it runs it just fine so I imagine the laptop would be about the same.

Using the configurator, even with an i3 and 1366x768 screen, 12GB ram bumps the price to $980, or $1,052 for 16GB; an i5 adds $85-150 to those prices, the same i7 as the linked one adds nearly $300. A 256GB SSD is a $280 option.

I think I might just jump on this and buy RAM and SSD separately, it'll probably be the best deal in the long run.

E: Also I'm probably gonna get a mouse for this, is there a go-to recommendation?

Definitely by the SSD and RAM separately. $100 for the 250 gig EVO, $50 for a 2x8 kit of RAM. I advise you to swap immediately though, without waiting until you're used to hideous HDD speeds

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hadlock posted:

edit: I really like the logitech M500, I own two at home and one at the office. It's wired though and some people prefer wireless.

I'm using that very mouse right now on my desktop actually, i've worn through the grey plastic on the buttons to the black underneath and replaced the footpads twice but it's been rock solid for me for over 6 years. I don't mind wired other than it taking up a USB slot.

The Iron Rose posted:

Definitely by the SSD and RAM separately. $100 for the 250 gig EVO, $50 for a 2x8 kit of RAM. I advise you to swap immediately though, without waiting until you're used to hideous HDD speeds

Well, I've literally never had an SSD computer, so it won't be so much "getting used to" as "nothing new". I'll still upgrade ASAP.

Thanks for the input! I just placed the order, should be here sometime this week.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone have any experience with Aorus laptops? I'll be purchasing a new gaming laptop for Dreamhack Austin and for my wife who is starting college in December.

I am particularly interested in the 13-15" models such as http://www.aorus.com/Product/Features/X3%20Plus%20v4 so was really wondering if anyone had one and can comment on their build quality.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Photex posted:

Anyone have any experience with Aorus laptops? I'll be purchasing a new gaming laptop for Dreamhack Austin and for my wife who is starting college in December.

I am particularly interested in the 13-15" models such as http://www.aorus.com/Product/Features/X3%20Plus%20v4 so was really wondering if anyone had one and can comment on their build quality.

Great specs and all wonderful... untill you get to the Killer LAN. It's glitchy, pointless, and causes BSODs. Huge dealbreaker.

Also pretty overpriced just looking at Newegg. Look at Clevo/Sagers.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Great specs and all wonderful... untill you get to the Killer LAN. It's glitchy, pointless, and causes BSODs. Huge dealbreaker.

Also pretty overpriced just looking at Newegg. Look at Clevo/Sagers.

Clevo was definitely 2nd on my list to ask about, and that's unfortunate that the downfall of the Aorus stuff is an ethernet card. Thanks i'll look into some Clevo and Sager's

edit: even the high end sager's come with Killer Lan chipsets it seems and no 13" model hmm

Photex fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 26, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The problem with Killer stuff is their software, not the hardware so you can remove that and use just the drivers.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Photex posted:

I believe Aorus is a subsidiary of MSI. I just put up a review of the MSI GS60 606 on the last page (I would link, but I'm on mobile), and I'm super happy about that. If my desktop had lasted a little longer, some model of Aorus would have been on my list.

Are you in a hurry? If not and you're looking for a serious gaming laptop, the full GPU versions of the GTX 980 are coming to laptops in the next few weeks and that will be a serious upgrade over anything if they scale well to lower voltages.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Aphrodite posted:

The problem with Killer stuff is their software, not the hardware so you can remove that and use just the drivers.

I didn't know that. Indo know that the bandwidth control function messes up gated network connections, such as those at hotels.

How do I install just the driver? The only files I can find on their website are full packages.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

http://www.killernetworking.com/support/driver-downloads

Under Additional Downloads.

They're not executables, just the INFs. Uninstall the software (which removes the drivers) and then install the drivers through the Device Manager.

Comrade_Canada
Jan 24, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

I believe Aorus is a subsidiary of MSI. I just put up a review of the MSI GS60 606 on the last page (I would link, but I'm on mobile), and I'm super happy about that. If my desktop had lasted a little longer, some model of Aorus would have been on my list.

Are you in a hurry? If not and you're looking for a serious gaming laptop, the full GPU versions of the GTX 980 are coming to laptops in the next few weeks and that will be a serious upgrade over anything if they scale well to lower voltages.

Aorus is actually a subsidiary of gigabyte (they make pretty nice laptops too)

Build Quality wise Aorus is pretty good, better than the gigabyte ones for the most part. I think Notebookcheck has a couple of review for their laptops, check those out first

those full 980 laptops will probably run extremely hot and be stupidly loud, in addition to being close to 3k in price. For the most part the 970m and 980m are good enough for AAA gaming for the coming year or two

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, not really interested in those giant gaming laptops with full size cards in them, i'm only going to be using this for 3-4 days in May (Dreamhack) so it's really a laptop for my wife. 13-15" laptops seem to be great for college work. Thanks for letting me know the Killer Lan issues were because of the software and not hardware faults that definitely puts them back on the map for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think your wife will carry around a laptop if it's bigger than 13".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think your wife will carry around a laptop if it's bigger than 13".

Yeah anything bigger than 13" for actual mobile note taking purposes in class is is fuckin' :lol::lol:

Just get her a 13" laptop for laptoppy needs and a 24" desktop display (or whatever size) for the house if she needs that much screen real estate

Seriously though, the larger the laptop, the less likely she is to bring it with her to school.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Yes..I said this in my original post I was only interested in 13-15" models, I don't know why those beastly full sized GPU laptops got brought up

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
There is a massive difference between a 13" and a 15" system though - the former can go everywhere (especially a compact model like an XPS 13) while the latter will probably never leave the house.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Thinkpad fans, how easy is it to replace parts assuming you have some basic understanding of computer assembly? I've never done any fiddling with any of my laptops except for swapping out memory in my old x120e which was pretty painless.

Basically I'm keeping an eye on the Lenovo outlet and I'll see x250s pop up that are like 1-2 components short of ideal for me (usually the screen) and I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to save some money.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Philip Rivers posted:

Thinkpad fans, how easy is it to replace parts assuming you have some basic understanding of computer assembly? I've never done any fiddling with any of my laptops except for swapping out memory in my old x120e which was pretty painless.

Basically I'm keeping an eye on the Lenovo outlet and I'll see x250s pop up that are like 1-2 components short of ideal for me (usually the screen) and I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to save some money.

What about this?

http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/PC06EJYR-20BUCTR1WW/445

Cheap, decent screen, SSD pre-installed

Edit: not sure about screen replacement difficulty but RAM and HDD replacement is were in my t450s.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 27, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Deal breakers
*No fancy GPU
*Only 4GB RAM (I guess you could upgrade it manually for cheaper)

Maybe issues
*Refurb
*Only 180GB SSD - good luck with that on a machine rocking Solidworks
*No Fingerprint Reader - almost as handy as a backlit keyboard, I would never go back to a laptop without one

Really up to the user but the one he has picked out is the P model which is touch-enabled
*No Touchscreen

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Philip Rivers posted:

Most of the parts are pretty easy to replace. That said, the screen is generally not one of these items. Not only is it a pain in the dick to actually remove/replace (lots of wire bundles, antennas, etc to mess with, and some very delicate ribbon cables), but most of the time the cost of buying a replacement screen is comparable to simply getting the upgrade model to begin with. In short, I wouldn't recommend it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I swapped out the display in my buddy's T400 in about 30 minutes. It was not ultra-easy, but I did not break anything. Maybe the new thinner screen lids make this harder now but it's not a hurculean task. It is, however, way harder than a Hard Drive or RAM replacement.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Comrade_Canada posted:

Aorus is actually a subsidiary of gigabyte (they make pretty nice laptops too)

Thanks for the correction! I knew something felt a little off when I typed that.

Fingers crossed playable frames can be maintained for a while after that even after turning down the settings.

Hadlock posted:

I swapped out the display in my buddy's T400 in about 30 minutes. It was not ultra-easy, but I did not break anything. Maybe the new thinner screen lids make this harder now but it's not a hurculean task. It is, however, way harder than a Hard Drive or RAM replacement.

Is it computer repair doctor that has all the YouTube videos for screen replacements? I used a service a few years back on an ex's laptop that I think was them to get a good step by step on the process. It could be useful for Frankentop projects.

Sorry if formatting is fucky, phones are only so capable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Swapping out a touchscreen would be nightmare fuel due to that glass and how everything is bonded together with glue. It wouldn't suprise me if Lenovo just sells entire laptop lids with the screen preinstalled.

A traditional screen is pretty straightforward on the T400, there's some screws hidden under plastic covers around the inside bezel, then use a plastic butter knife to split it down the seam, then remove more screws. If the screen has a built in camera you have to be gentle with those wires but otherwise it's pretty straightforward. Then you unscrew the display from the magnesium frame (4 screws, one on each corner), and peel back the tape/unclick the adapter holding the ribbon cable in the display.

Actually on the T400 it's particularly hard because the bluetooth module in that laptop was stored in the display along-side an LED system status indicator behind the bezel. Now all that poo poo is on the motherboard/keyboard side of the hinges.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Photex posted:

Yes..I said this in my original post I was only interested in 13-15" models, I don't know why those beastly full sized GPU laptops got brought up

Because all 15" laptops are beastly large and heavy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Aphrodite posted:

http://www.killernetworking.com/support/driver-downloads

Under Additional Downloads.

They're not executables, just the INFs. Uninstall the software (which removes the drivers) and then install the drivers through the Device Manager.

That's a good link, thanks. My new MSI has the dreaded Killer networking but no problems... yet. I stay in hotels frequently so maybe I will. I do have a Killer icon in my tray but interestingly no software suite shows in my installed programs. Wonder if it's tied in with something else?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Because all 15" laptops are beastly large and heavy

Yep. From the OP; in the middle are 12.5" and 13" models. Going from 13->15 inches is like going from a ford ranger sized laptop to a F250 :iiaca:

You can park both at walmart but one is substancially easier to drive around a crowded urban area. The 11.5" model might be closer to a kia, it fits loving everywhere :swoon:

x120 (11.5") vs x230 (12.5") vs T400 (14.0")

Macbook Pro 15" vs Macbook Air 13" vs Macbook Air 11.5"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 27, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently Lenovo is preparing to launch the Yoga 900-13 which will replace the poorly-recieved Yoga Pro 3 at the end of August. Think of it as the Yoga 3.5 Pro

New QHD+ IPS panel from samsung (goodbye yellow Yoga 2 Pro screen)
USB Type-C used for video-out
Updated (slightly) "watch-band" hinge
Better fans
More battery
Skylake CPU
MSRP $1500 to start
Oct 27th release date

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
This hate against 15" laptops is kind of funny. That used to be a pretty standard size, and with a 4:3 screen ratio no less. Even though netbooks never really took off, they showed what was possible.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

This hate against 15" laptops is kind of funny. That used to be a pretty standard size, and with a 4:3 screen ratio no less. Even though netbooks never really took off, they showed what was possible.
15" laptops are fine. You're just not going to want to drag it around quite as much as their smaller brethren, unless you grab one of the super ultralight versions. Quite frankly, I still think 14-15" is the best "general purpose" laptop size, since you can still get ones that are under or around 4lbs, but they're still large enough to comfortably watch movies and game on. 13" ones are noticeably more portable...but it's also noticeably less nice for movie watching, in my opinion. 17" ones are, of course, hilarious boat anchors that should only be bought by people going on boats.

Incidentally, having had a Pixel for awhile now, 4:3 is awesome and I'm really sad it's died out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder how the XPS15 will stack up with the Infinity Display thing. That's still not out yet.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Rumor is a Oct 15 release date. 960m and 4K options. Also a ~.2 lbs weight reduction from the current Haswell model.

Wonder what effect the footprint reduction will have on battery size/capacity..

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

960m and 4k doesn't seem like a match made.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Scales 1:2 with 1080.....

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Boiled Water posted:

960m and 4k doesn't seem like a match made.

Frankly, I'd prefer top level Intel iGPU with the full fat eDRAM, but for some reason you don't see many of those outside of the 15" rMBPs.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

DrDork posted:

Incidentally, having had a Pixel for awhile now, 4:3 is awesome and I'm really sad it's died out.

Isn't that 3:2?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I'm thinking about getting a new laptop, but I'm seeing Skylake processors coming out soon, should I wait for those or just pull the trigger now?

For reference, I was going to get a Macbook Pro, but a friend of mine had one and it committed heat suicide, and $2k can buy a whole lot more Windows laptop than it can a Mac machine.

That said, are there any models out there that have:

1) Good construction, I want this to last
2) At least an i5, 256GB SSD, and 16 GB of RAM, I want to make .net applications or run a Linux VM while at Panera or something when my roomates have people over
3) Not Lenovo, their top-end machines aren't as good as others, and I'm concerned about their recent privacy issues.

Is there a top-end laptop the thread recommends? I'm basically looking for something to use for the next 5 years, and I have some money saved up for just such an occasion.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

TopherCStone posted:

Isn't that 3:2?
It is, but it also reminded me how much better 4:3 is compared to 16:9 for most of the things I do that aren't watching movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Widescreen especially sucks in 12" or under laptops. You can't even fit 2 documents side by side comfortably so it feels like a waste. At that size just give me 4:3 like the iPad.